Childrens membership reverts to Gold when they reach 18

kimberley

I have my 19 year old son and 17 year old daughter travelling with us in the next 3 weeks on Oasis. Both have appeared as Diamond members as they should. They have travelled with us on RCCL about 12 times previous. However, Crown and Anchor lost MY status and I was reverted to a 'new' cruiser. You just can't prove what cruises you have had. I never keep paperwork that old, but fortunately a nice person on the other end of the phone realised my kids would not have travelled or paid for without me. Very hit and miss and difficult to keep up to date with. However, we are all now showing (as we should) as Diamond members.

Let us know how your 19 year old get on and what status they have him as on the ship. I was told it changed three weeks ago and came from Miami. I would be I interested to hear from any one recently travelled or in the very near future. Or whether it's just the UK!

Let us know how your 19 year old get on and what status they have him as on the ship. I was told it changed three weeks ago and came from Miami. I would be I interested to hear from any one recently travelled or in the very near future. Or whether it's just the UK!

What exactly changed? It seems that if you can prove the cruises, your 19yo will retain those credits.

Not sure about reverting to a lower status, but if they are doing that, they will revert to zero credits, meaning they are not even gold. So something is not right here.

What exactly were you told? Your intial post is confusing.

If a child has sailed and earned the credits, I cannot see them being taken away.

What exactly changed? It seems that if you can prove the cruises, your 19yo will retain those credits.

Not sure about reverting to a lower status, but if they are doing that, they will revert to zero credits, meaning they are not even gold. So something is not right here.

If a child has sailed and earned the credits, I cannot see them being taken away.

I was told that all children on reaching the age of 18 will revert to the status that they have earned. My children have got 9 credits crown and Anchor had one on two points and one on four points. They had my eldest on four and a gold even though all her seapasses since she has been 18 as Diamond. Yes, I can understand peoples opinions stating that children should only have the level that they have earned ect. But it was Crown and Anchor that decided the rules and offered and made them Diamond. What it actually means is that everyones status will have to be looked at and verified! That they have actually earnt their present status and not been given it. It does have lots of implications. They have sorted out some of my childrens credits and I have found proof on one but there is one that we can't.

Lets remember that at one time D members were allowed entry to the Concierge Lounge but now its only the D+ & suite pax and if I may be permitted to make a guess, it may soon only be suite pax..I agree with this and it will soon be necessary to ban D+s, as most CLs are becoming too small for more D+s..I am aware they have started such a lounge on some ships...

I can understand why all this is happening. Someone at RCL didn't think ahead, while planning all this cruise credit stuff plus including folks & kids travelling with u (which was a mistake IMO unless travelling in their own cabin) - that within a short time there wld be many, many, many Gold, Plat., D & D+ members all wanting perks and rightly so..and the list is growing at a huge 'clip'..putting a strain on finances & the lounges.

Not difficult to understand why they are now starting to try to reduce or slow their increasing numbers in any way possible & also shuffle them around while onboard (different lounges)..

There are going to be many disgruntled members like there was when D members were banned from the CL; lets hope for RCLs sake that folks have short memories!

A better thought out plan cld have avoided all this..but JMO..

Have happy cruisin' :)

Not difficult to understand why they are now starting to try to reduce or slow their increasing numbers in any way possible & also shuffle them around while onboard (different lounges)..

I understand children reverting to their own level once they become 18, if that is the case. I do not agree with taking away cruise credits.

OP has made some confusing statements but I think that what she means is that her children reverted to the status they earned, which was not credited properly, and now she cannot find some of the credits. They didn't take them away exactly, they were just never applied correctly.

When my son turned 18 and got his own account some of his credits were missing. I emailed them with the correct information and it was corrected.

My Children still live at home with me and their dad. When did you have this discussion with the crown and anchor rep was it recent?

It was 3 years ago. I remember because I don't often have phone conversations

with C&A reps. The other two in my home are still Diamond and one of them only has 2 cruise credits.

It was 3 years ago. I remember because I don't often have phone conversations

with C&A reps. The other two in my home are still Diamond and one of them only has 2 cruise credits.

From what I was told by the rep who rang me this morning is that they are looking at everyones status and who earned it! If you didn't earn it you loose it except spouses. I guess there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

From what I was told by the rep who rang me this morning is that they are looking at everyones status and who earned it! If you didn't earn it you loose it except spouses. I guess there are going to be a lot of unhappy people.

That is fair enough. Your children will be your status until they are adults, which is practical as they are travelling along with you under your authority. Once they become adults, their status becomes what they have earned.

Everyone just has to make sure to keep good records for their children as you cannot trust C&A to be accurate in this department.

That is fair enough. Your children will be your status until they are adults, which is practical as they are travelling along with you under your authority. Once they become adults, their status becomes what they have earned.

Everyone just has to make sure to keep good records for their children as you cannot trust C&A to be accurate in this department.

But they are not adults until they are 21 with Rccl. At the age of 21 only then can they actually booked a cruise.

But they are not adults until they are 21 with Rccl. At the age of 21 only then can they actually booked a cruise.

That's a pain in the neck Kimberley. I hope you get it sorted. Do you have any photos of the cruises the kids were on - if the photos are digital they will be date stamped and should be proof enough to show they were actually on the ship? I have read of others doing this and it was accepted by c&a.

Personally I don't agree with everyone in a household being given the same status (but of course I might have a different opinion if I had kids at home) - but once that status has been given they shouldn't be able to take it away again - that's just not fair.:( I don't think RCI thought out this programme very well - the CC lounge etc can be like a zoo - far too many people, and how many of those are there on the backs of others?

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you - you have certainly done enough cruising to earn your status and more! :D

Sue

That's a pain in the neck Kimberley. I hope you get it sorted. Do you have any photos of the cruises the kids were on - if the photos are digital they will be date stamped and should be proof enough to show they were actually on the ship? I have read of others doing this and it was accepted by c&a.

Personally I don't agree with everyone in a household being given the same status (but of course I might have a different opinion if I had kids at home) - but once that status has been given they shouldn't be able to take it away again - that's just not fair.:( I don't think RCI thought out this programme very well - the CC lounge etc can be like a zoo - far too many people, and how many of those are there on the backs of others?

Anyway, I hope it all works out for you - you have certainly done enough cruising to earn your status and more! :D

Sue

Thanks Sue. We have managed to find all but one cruise! So Jess went from 2 points to 9. I think I was just shocked when they sent me the email saying Jess had two and Kayleigh had 4 when I knew that they had at least 9. I wouldn't have found this out if it wasn't for the TA end of November. C&A said that there may not be enough time for Miami to add the 3rd Nov cruise and to take proof with us. I can understand peoples opinions on household accounts. But their opinions are moulded by the fact that the change doesn't effect them. I totally agree nobody thought about the long term effects of the rules of the membership. But it was their rules and not mine. The decision effects every member because if you didn't earn it you will loose it. Thing of all the kids that have been given the status got married aged 30 and will revert to their own status. In one way I can totally understand it. But they should not have been given it in the first place. Would it have changed my cruise habit with Rccl? May be. Because going away as a family I want to be with my family hence I probably wouldn't go to the lounge with out. Kayleigh doesn't even drink! So if they can share all elements of my cruise I might as well cruise on other lines which you know I enjoy and build up status elsewhere. But we still love Rccl.

That's a good point and it doesn't seem fair that they would lose their status during the 3 year period that they must travel with you. I think it's a valid complaint.

I need more coffee, none of this makes sense to me. My DD (22) and DS (17 turning 18 in a month) both have our diamond status... DD didnt revert to a lower status reflecting only her points when she turned 18...plus, at 21 she did book her own cruise (she cruised this past May without us)....going to have DH talk with C&A after dinner tonight. Unless I find the time during the day, then I will call...

I need more coffee, none of this makes sense to me. My DD (22) and DS (17 turning 18 in a month) both have our diamond status... DD didnt revert to a lower status reflecting only her points when she turned 18...plus, at 21 she did book her own cruise (she cruised this past May without us)....going to have DH talk with C&A after dinner tonight. Unless I find the time during the day, then I will call...

OP is saying that the 'new rule' (losing status unless you earned it yourself by age 18) started as of Sept 1.

You can book a cruise at 21 but not at 18.

I was told that all children on reaching the age of 18 will revert to the status that they have earned. My children have got 9 credits crown and Anchor had one on two points and one on four points. They had my eldest on four and a gold even though all her seapasses since she has been 18 as Diamond. Yes, I can understand peoples opinions stating that children should only have the level that they have earned ect. But it was Crown and Anchor that decided the rules and offered and made them Diamond. What it actually means is that everyones status will have to be looked at and verified! That they have actually earnt their present status and not been given it. It does have lots of implications. They have sorted out some of my childrens credits and I have found proof on one but there is one that we can't.

I don't understand the confusion (except for your children's missing cruise credits).

I just reached Diamond status through my own cruises. My husband has only cruised twice (once we were in a JS) and has 3 cruise credits under his cruise history. Because we are married when we cruise together or if he chose to cruise alone he would go as Diamond. If we divorced he would revert to Gold status or whatever status he has earned from cruises.

Now - I do not know who all those people are living in Fury's home, but they all have the highest C&A status at that address when they cruise. When they move away - they revert to their earned status.

As we know - their record keeping is not the best so it is up to each individual to keep track of their status. I have tried to keep my sea pass cards in one spot. A file folder labeled C&A is not going to swamp anyone's file cabinet.

So, with all that, we all hear about when cruise credits are dropped or not added to an account - everyone raise their hand who has received a phantom cruise credit. ;)

I don't understand the confusion (except for your children's missing cruise credits).

I just reached Diamond status through my own cruises. My husband has only cruised twice (once we were in a JS) and has 3 cruise credits under his cruise history. Because we are married when we cruise together or if he chose to cruise alone he would go as Diamond. If we divorced he would revert to Gold status or whatever status he has earned from cruises.

Now - I do not know who all those people are living in Fury's home, but they all have the highest C&A status at that address when they cruise. When they move away - they revert to their earned status.

As we know - their record keeping is not the best so it is up to each individual to keep track of their status. I have tried to keep my sea pass cards in one spot. A file folder labeled C&A is not going to swamp anyone's file cabinet.

So, with all that, we all hear about when cruise credits are dropped or not added to an account - everyone raise their hand who has received a phantom cruise credit. ;)

I believe you are correct about this. When/if they or I have a different address, they should be the level they each earned individually.

I believe you are correct about this. When/if they or I have a different address, they should be the level they each earned individually.

I thought that you took your status with you, but your credits remained those which you had earned on your own. So you could be D at 8 credits, but you'd have to earn another 16 (not 14) to get to D+.

Sorry but I can tell you what I have been told by crown and anchor in the UK on Monday of this week. Once your kids reach 18 they revert to the status they reached themselves.

this is what I thought until Monday but I'm afraid we are all wrong. I would love it if some one else would have a conversation with crown and anchor either in the UK or in USA and report back.

I will call C&A when I return home later on today. DS is turning 18 before our December cruise, so I am going to ask what his status will be in December when we cruise...I do know that DD's status has remained the same and she is now 22...unless if this is a change as of Sept 1, 2010...she will have 2 less cruise credits.. :confused:

Thanks Sue. We have managed to find all but one cruise! So Jess went from 2 points to 9. I think I was just shocked when they sent me the email saying Jess had two and Kayleigh had 4 when I knew that they had at least 9. I wouldn't have found this out if it wasn't for the TA end of November. C&A said that there may not be enough time for Miami to add the 3rd Nov cruise and to take proof with us. I can understand peoples opinions on household accounts. But their opinions are moulded by the fact that the change doesn't effect them. I totally agree nobody thought about the long term effects of the rules of the membership. But it was their rules and not mine. The decision effects every member because if you didn't earn it you will loose it. Thing of all the kids that have been given the status got married aged 30 and will revert to their own status. In one way I can totally understand it. But they should not have been given it in the first place. Would it have changed my cruise habit with Rccl? May be. Because going away as a family I want to be with my family hence I probably wouldn't go to the lounge with out. Kayleigh doesn't even drink! So if they can share all elements of my cruise I might as well cruise on other lines which you know I enjoy and build up status elsewhere. But we still love Rccl.

I agree with everything you say - they shouldn't give and then take away! If you are cruising with your kids, what good is a higher status if they can't join you in those benefits. But it would certainly help if we could track our status online - I don't understand what could be so difficult to give us the same facilities online as they have in the U.S.:confused:

Sue

I will call C&A when I return home later on today. DS is turning 18 before our December cruise, so I am going to ask what his status will be in December when we cruise...I do know that DD's status has remained the same and she is now 22...unless if this is a change as of Sept 1, 2010...she will have 2 less cruise credits.. :confused:

Did you ring crown and anchor?

I just checked my 21 yr old son's credits on the new UK C&A part of the RCCL website....and he aint going to be happy when he finds out they have taken away 7 !!! of his credits. He has done all but one cruise with me...now we will have all the hassle of trying to prove it....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

I just checked my 21 yr old son's credits on the new UK C&A part of the RCCL website....and he aint going to be happy when he finds out they have taken away 7 !!! of his credits. He has done all but one cruise with me...now we will have all the hassle of trying to prove it....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr:mad:

This is what I had to do last Monday but is his status right?

Archived