MDR on Emerald

jlines

No matter what the wait staff tells you...avoid the NY Strip as if your life depends on it. It's brutal.

Honestly...in 7 nights on the Emerald I can't think of one item that really stood out as fantastic. Most of the appetizers are pretty good. The Fettucini is pretty good. Most of the fish dishes are average to slightly above average. Cooked to order meats...set your expectations low.

No matter what the wait staff tells you...avoid the NY Strip as if your life depends on it. It's brutal.

Honestly...in 7 nights on the Emerald I can't think of one item that really stood out as fantastic. Most of the appetizers are pretty good. The Fettucini is pretty good. Most of the fish dishes are average to slightly above average. Cooked to order meats...set your expectations low.

Sadly I'd have to agree with you. We always sail on Queen Mary 2 and on our first trip on Princess ( Emerald) in February, 4 of us were hard pressed to find much good to say about dinners in the dining room. Along with avoiding the NY Strip, I'd stay clear of any meat that called itself filet or tenderloin. 2 nights I made an assortment of appetizers suffice for dinner and one night we just went and had pizza.

And if the fettucini looks congealed, send it back. The last night 3 of us had that in lieu of anything else. Mine looks fine and creamy....my 2 friends had very congealed looking sauce. They were up sick all night and barely dragged themselves off the next day, while I was fine.

Both food in the dining room and the disgraceful mattresses were a big disappointment in what we felt was a very nice ship. We enjoyed our cruise and if we go back for another quick getaway, we will go with lessened expectations and make other dinner plans far more quickly after trying once again on the first night.

I'm not bashing Emerald...there were many things about her that we liked enough to consider coming back for a winter getaway. But I was disappointed as I'd heard better things about the food,and it was I who suggested giving the line a try to our friends who we always sail with.

Cheers, Penny

Penny’s Affair to Remember QM2 Review

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=471053

November 10,2007...the “Affair” continued...did it ever!

October 16,2008...the “Affair” goes transatlantic as we sail in tandem with the grand QE2 on her final transatlantic voyage...what a thrill!

December 9, 2008....the “Affair” resumes again....Life is good!

July 30, 2009....transatlantic again...some “Affairs” just get better

August 7, 2009....the “Affair” goes on...this time “home” to Norway

Feb. 7, 2010....the “Affair” takes a sunny detour when Penny meets a Princess

Aug 14, 2010....the “Affair” returns to Norway, all the way to the top!

2011....new adventures...decisions, decisions

If you want a really good steak you almost have to go to the Crown Grill. For $25 each you are eating in a 5 star restaurant :D. We have stopped doing formal night because of the hassle & just make reservations there & we are more than happy. We just skip one shore excursion & the price is the same for 2 or 3 dinners; only down side is we miss our tablemates at times. Not everyone wants to pay extra to eat on a cruise ship, but at least it is offered.

Jan

Always available salmon and steak medallions are always good. On the gegular menu, rack of veal, rack of lamb, lobster tail/giant prawn, Prime Rib are all excellent. And, of course ESCARGOT!!!

For breakfast try the Eggs Florentine.

Not in the MDR but do try the gelato in the International Court.

On Italian night I love the eggplant parm appetizer. I also enjoy the Diver Scallops and on the last night I always get the turkey. For dessert I get the sorbet of the day, blueberry being my favorite. Most of the desserts sound and look better than they really taste.

Just spent sixteen days on the Crown Princess and overall, the food was excellent. The soups are home-made and delicious, the pastas are excellent, the fish is beautifully cooked, etc. I agree to stay away from the NY strip steak but the "Always Available" filet medallions were very good. I had them along with a baked potato a couple of times. The rack of lamb is yummy and my sister lives for the short ribs.

I'm a seafood fan, and if you are too, and at all brave in what you'll eat, the cioppino (seafood stew) is wonderful. There is also a yogurt tamarind cold soup that is excellent. And, finally, there is a dining room lunch pasta that is simply spaghetti cooked in butter, olive oil and lots of garlic with a sprinking of red hot pepper. It's my favorite lunch entree.

Sadly I'd have to agree with you. We always sail on Queen Mary 2 and on our first trip on Princess ( Emerald) in February, 4 of us were hard pressed to find much good to say about dinners in the dining room. Along with avoiding the NY Strip, I'd stay clear of any meat that called itself filet or tenderloin. 2 nights I made an assortment of appetizers suffice for dinner and one night we just went and had pizza.

You are scaring me now, will be our first time on Emerald:( The food on QM2 wasn't great, certainly not as good as HAL and RCCL so if it's worse than than QM2 it sounds bad!

The cold fruit soups are usually pretty tasty. Almost like smoothies. In fact, some of them even come in a glass with a straw. Princess has really good Prime Rib and horseradish-and that's coming from someone who doesn't really like horseradish sauce. The goat cheese souflee is also good.

You are scaring me now, will be our first time on Emerald:( The food on QM2 wasn't great, certainly not as good as HAL and RCCL so if it's worse than than QM2 it sounds bad!

Moniquet, not to worry. Food is very subjective. Although I've never had BAD cruise food, I certainly have had some better than others. And the Emerald in 2009 was in the top 1/3 of cruise food that I've had. Things can change, but what doesn't change is the large number of food options available. If something doesn't appeal to you, your waiter will certainly bring you something else. Also, we've found the Cafe Caribe food in the evening to be better than usual buffet food and a nice alternative to the dining room.

Oddly enough...I found the food in the Horizon Court/Cafe Caribe to be significantly better than the food in the MDR. It's not often that I can say that buffet offerings have better quality and taste...but that was my opinion and the opinion of the folks I talked with. And I was a restaurant manager in a previous life...not that that really makes a difference.

Princess (IMO) does a fine job with their buffet.

I have always had good luck with the food in the MDR on Princess. Our next cruise is our fifth and some variety with the menus would not hurt...However, on our last cruse - 10 days on the Ruby in February we traveled with someone who is a former owner of 6 restaurants - all hugely successfull and highly rated - then she became a caterer. She is the best cook I know!! I was edgy about what she would think of the food. She made a small allowance for the fact that the scale - cooking for 3000 ppl- but was delighted with the food. We did not even bother with speciaty dining. That being said we always order those things that we think are likely to be successful when prepared in quantity and we listen to our waiters suggestions.

Archived