Living life in a STUDIO room on the EPIC review

mitsugirly

So, you couldn't get a studio on the Epic because couples had them all booked? Good grief. The reason NCL discounted these so much is because they WERE NOT selling them all. I also can't believe you compared this to a handicap room. Really? Since when is being single a handicap. Shame on you for this post. It's mean, unnecessary and misguided, especially that chair hog comment. Let's see. You like Karaoke. I bet you're one of those drunk, untalented, chain smoking pathetic singers dying for attention. Wait. You're not? Well, I guess that wasn't nice of me to make that reach, huh?

The studios may have been discounted at the beginning of the year, they sure aren't now. The studios for the Oct 9th cruise went up $300 since I booked mine last February.

You are very welcome. It was the cruise of a life time. The best cruise, by far, that I had ever been on. My hats go off to NCL and all the hard, dedicated workers on board the Epic that made my cruise a very enjoyable one that I will continue to tell everyone about and recommend.

I'm glad you like the photos. :)

Thank you for your comment. It means a lot to me (especially considering you have been on cc for a little over a year and only have 13 post total in that time and I'm one of them. :D I feel special. :)

Wow...that's like the clouds parting and hearing a deep voice from above, eh? Very cool.

Loved your review and photo's. I seriously thought that I would never sail NCL in a non-suite cabin, but this room looks like fun...like camping. :) Might be fun to try going solo sometime. Or, maybe I'll book all of them and bring my friends so we can have the entire area to ourselves. That'd be a neat party!

Edited by rickechambers1@aol.com

Great review Kim!

I mostly concur, just wanted to point out that the studio lounge was very well used for the nightly cocktail hour. The bartender was great (best cosmos on the ship!) and a very lovely young NCL staff member from Australia came every night and got the group talking. The first night there were probably 20 people and it kept growing every night. Very diverse group of people, from 20's to 80s and from many different countries. We met the captain one night and the comedian/magician came in one night and gave us a private card show. I think that lounge is what the group on board makes of it.

As for the cabins, I was satisfied that I got my $1,000 worth. Loved the bed and felt I had enough space. I do predict a lot of repairs by NCL though - some materials used seemed cheap to me (like the sliding cupboard doors and the shower door).

The hot/cold water happened to me too and it's happened on other cruise ships I've been on. I don't think it's uncommon.

My minor gripe is the "second class" feeling from not having a hairdryer or bathrobe, but that wasn't the end of the world.

Sorry, I know the truth hurts but you'll be ok. They both are special purpose cabins..and you know that.

I'm always ok. Yes, they are special use cabins, as are suites and handicap rooms. They're designed for a certain type of customer. My points were that 1) you can't blame Kim for NCL discounting these cabins to the point where it made financial sense to do this, especially since these rooms were not "moving" at the time. This is no longer the case, as the demand and prices have come up. They didn't take a room from anyone. And 2) to take this and turn it in to a personal attack is simply uncalled for and childish.

I'm glad you had a great time and thanks for your extensive review and pics.

But...My concern is the way couples like yourself use these rooms to hog space when the solo rooms were made to solo travelers. Solo travelers get bit really hard by the 200% single suppliment which NCL never waivers. Maybe you never had to always pay extra for a non-existing person or be offered an OBC which, two people would normally get, but because we are one and paying for two, we only get one. I think when couples do this and brag about the extra space is sickening. It's like someone booking a handicapped room just for the extra space when a handicapped person really needs it. I bet you and other couples who do this are part of the Lounge Chair Hog Group as well. If the ship is not filled and you're booking these rooms when other solo's need them, Shame on you..! I'm sorry if my words seem harsh, but this type of thing is very selfish.

I'm real sorry you feel this way toward me (being a couple and all). I don't think any of the cruise lines should charge a single for a double occupancy rate and I think it's terrible. I've never (nor would I ever) travel alone, so I have never experienced having to fork over that kind of money.

I was offered this double adjoining cabin at a great price. It was suggested to me. So as others have said, they were not selling at the time I booked a long time ago. I'm sure that's not the case now since the prices have went up. Either way, it's the same as 2 people booking the cabin. Even with the prices sky high right now, if we were to both book a room, it's still the same amount we would be paying as if 2 singles booked both rooms. NCL is still getting the same money for the room and still 2 people are occupying the rooms. It's no different than a family booking 2 adjoining suites for added space. Does that mean they are taking away from another family that could have used that other room? They are still paying for it.

I did not in any way intend to take a room from someone. I am not that type of person nor would I ever take a handicap room "for the added space". I'm not a "chair hog" and I'm a very courteous person when it comes to others. If there was a family looking for seats together and if I could move down to provide the extra space so that they can all sit together, I do that (and did just that at the Legends Show for a family). I always treat people the way I want to be treated. I hold doors open for others, I respect my elders and help them (even if they are the slowest person walking in front of me, I'll wait for them at their pace so that I'm not rude), and I try not to do anything that would disturb others or make them feel uncomfortable. I feel that I'm a respectful and caring person. I took a job working in the field to help others for the last 24 years and I'm going to school full time to become a nursing so that I can continue to help others and give back.

With that being said, I refuse to sit here and argue or battle it out with you over your rude comment and opinion on me. I'll leave it at that and I hope some day you will not judge people you do not know.

I'm real sorry you feel this way toward me (being a couple and all). I don't think any of the cruise lines should charge a single for a double occupancy rate and I think it's terrible. I've never (nor would I ever) travel alone, so I have never experienced having to fork over that kind of money.

I was offered this double adjoining cabin at a great price. It was suggested to me. So as others have said, they were not selling at the time I booked a long time ago. I'm sure that's not the case now since the prices have went up. Either way, it's the same as 2 people booking the cabin. Even with the prices sky high right now, if we were to both book a room, it's still the same amount we would be paying as if 2 singles booked both rooms. NCL is still getting the same money for the room and still 2 people are occupying the rooms. It's no different than a family booking 2 adjoining suites for added space. Does that mean they are taking away from another family that could have used that other room? They are still paying for it.

I did not in any way intend to take a room from someone. I am not that type of person nor would I ever take a handicap room "for the added space". I'm not a "chair hog" and I'm a very courteous person when it comes to others. If there was a family looking for seats together and if I could move down to provide the extra space so that they can all sit together, I do that (and did just that at the Legends Show for a family). I always treat people the way I want to be treated. I hold doors open for others, I respect my elders and help them (even if they are the slowest person walking in front of me, I'll wait for them at their pace so that I'm not rude), and I try not to do anything that would disturb others or make them feel uncomfortable. I feel that I'm a respectful and caring person. I took a job working in the field to help others for the last 24 years and I'm going to school full time to become a nursing so that I can continue to help others and give back.

With that being said, I refuse to sit here and argue or battle it out with you over your rude comment and opinion on me. I'll leave it at that and I hope some day you will not judge people you do not know.

I do agree that the chair hog comment was a bit over the edge..that was just included because of my other gripe with that. I do apologize for that for taking that out on you it was wrong.

It's just that so many couples are doing what you did...yes, ok..the rooms weren't selling well at first, but this leaves it open for other couples to follow suit because they want extra room. The handicapped staterooms are on all ships, but the single staterooms or only on one and I just feel that it's unfair to be used that way on purpose when others may want them. I had looked for bookings on the Epic and I saw that many are sold out..My thought..wow..that's great that their being of benefit tothe singles, but to find out that some of the couples were booking them, I was floored. Like come on. Where are we single traveler to get a break. You should thank God that you have someone to always share expenses with. But alot of solo's do not and I thought that's what NCL was trying to provide for us so that our pockets aren't ripped apart in order to enjoy our trip.

I'm just asking that the couples who practice this, please be considerate of the single traveller, that's the only ship we can get a break on.

Edited by Karaokelady

I do agree that the chair hog comment was a bit over the edge..that was just included because of my other gripe with that. I do apologize for that for taking that out on you it was wrong.

It's just that so many couples are doing what you did...yes, ok..the rooms weren't selling well at first, but this leaves it open for other couples to follow suit because they want extra room. The handicapped staterooms are on all ships, but the single staterooms or only on one and I just feel that it's unfair to be used that way on purpose when others may want them. I had looked for bookings on the Epic and I saw that many are sold out..My thought..wow..that's great that their being of benefit tothe singles, but to find out that some of the couples were booking them, I was floored. Like come on. Where are we single traveler to get a break. You should thank God that you have someone to always share expenses with. But alot of solo's do not and I thought that's what NCL was trying to provide for us so that our pockets aren't ripped apart in order to enjoy our trip.

I'm just asking that the couples who practice this, please be considerate of the single traveller, that's the only ship we can get a break on.

I'm a single/solo traveller myself and I have absolutely no problems with couples booking two Studio cabins. Are they supposed to contact me and say "Hey, Colin....just wanted to call and see if you were going to book a Studio cabin? If not we're gonna take one". No one owes me any special consideration merely because I'm a solo traveller.

Personally I don't take anyone else into consideration when booking my holidays unless perhaps they have some sort of special circumstance, i.e: handicapped.

Epic is not the only ship that singles can get a break on. There are plenty of discount web sites and last minute cruise sites online that have great prices for both couples and singles. Be flexible, be resourceful.

I do have admit that when I was reading that you were a couple with two, solo rooms I did have a bit of a twinge. Yes it's your right but felt a little unfair to those of us who travel alone, by choice or by circumstance.

The 1A on Carnival were the only rooms that Carnival ever discounted and sold at a 150% discount and the ones with the port hole or picture windows were highly sought. Then I started reading that couples were booking these rooms in order to get ocean view for the price of an inside and now they are pricing them at 200% like every other room on the ship.

I looked at the Epic to see what the prices were for the solo traveler but too expensive, at this point, for me but worried that the price will never come down because couples will be taking two rooms, using one as the dressing room and the other as the bedroom.

All I want is a room on the ship :(

Edited by AuntieBon

With the price increase in studios, commensurate with demand, have they settled into a structure where one studio is cheaper than a balcony or inside, but two are MORE expensive? If the financial incentive for a couple to book two of these is gone, it likely won't be an issue going forward.

Great review Kim!

The hot/cold water happened to me too and it's happened on other cruise ships I've been on. I don't think it's uncommon.

My minor gripe is the "second class" feeling from not having a hairdryer or bathrobe, but that wasn't the end of the world.

Great review!

We were on Epic the same week; had a BD category balcony on Deck 11. We did not have any problems with the water temperature fluctuating.

Nor did we have a bathrobes. This was our third cruise with NCL and there was nothing for being a Latitudes member. So don't feel bad Scrappy!

I've been anxiously awaiting your review. It was simply mahvelous! LOL :D I finally had time to sit and read and look through your photos. They are fantastic. Every time I read a review I remember our cruise. I want to go back. I want someone else to make the beds and clean the bathrooms and throw in a few towel animals also! :p

I'm glad you had a great time and thanks again for taking the time to post! :)

Mitsy,

I'm single, have a studio, and I think what you did was very smart. If I were a couple, it would be the perfect solution to being together and being alone :)

I originally booked a regular inside room, when my best friend cancelled on me. I was on a wait list for the studios and one opened up. I am absolutely delighted.

I'm traveling solo on the Epic, but I booked my cruise in advance and I was flexible with travel dates. Personally, I don't care who books the studios. NCL's only requirement is that you pay the cruisefare. If a couple books 2 studios they're not violating any policies. This has no bearing on me.

Thank you so much for your reviews, of the studios and the ports. I have so much been looking forward to reading your reviews, I knew you would go the extra mile with the minutiae and you did not disappoint me. :)

I've visited St Thomas a couple of times and I had decided that I would probably not bother leaving the ship this time around, but your review has convinced me to explore a bit further and I am going to head for Sapphire Beach and Paradise Point. I have never snorkelled before but I think I might try it out at St. Thomas.

Your photos are awesome, thank you for sharing them.

I have a couple of questions please:

What camera did you use under water?

Were you able to acquire an iron from your steward?

Did the plug sockets accommodate round pin or flat pin appliances, or a mixture of the two? (I need adapters for my UK appliances but I might buy a socket strip when I arrive in the US)

I think I might treat myself to a Canon D10 in St. Thomas :D

Carol

I've visited St Thomas a couple of times and I had decided that I would probably not bother leaving the ship this time around, but your review has convinced me to explore a bit further and I am going to head for Sapphire Beach and Paradise Point. I have never snorkelled before but I think I might try it out at St. Thomas.

Your photos are awesome, thank you for sharing them.

I have a couple of questions please:

What camera did you use under water?

Were you able to acquire an iron from your steward?

Did the plug sockets accommodate round pin or flat pin appliances, or a mixture of the two? (I need adapters for my UK appliances but I might buy a socket strip when I arrive in the US)

I think I might treat myself to a Canon D10 in St. Thomas :D

Carol

I was just wondering (for my own knowledge), where did you go the other times that you went to St Thomas? It obviously didn't impress you, so I wanted to know where to "avoid" if we go again and if it wasn't any good.

If you have never snorkeled before, this will be the PERFECT place to start. Especially when you don't have to pay for an excursion to snorkel (saving money) and all you need is the taxi ride there and the snorkel equipment (which was cheap IMO). Walking right off the beach, into the water and the coral is right there. You can't go wrong. The good thing is, you are right above the coral, within feet. You can go out really far, and you are still only feet above the coral and feel "safe" that you are not in deep water. Just be careful not to step on any of the coral or hit it, it takes hundreds of years for it to develop and it is a live animal. Plus, there are plenty of places to just relax and swim (with the sand under your feet as well). Who could ask for anything more. :D

I used my Canon D10 for the underwater pictures. I'm so in love with it. It is a good all around camera (and I'm a slr camera girl). So, it really impressed me.

We didn't have a need for an iron, so we never ask for one. I know others have and received one with no problem.

As for the plugs...I posted pictures of all of them. I have no clue what all of them did (or even what a UK appliance plug looks like). Hopefully you can tell from the pictures if there is one. We only needed to use 1 outlet at a time (just to charge our camera battery at night and one for the blow dryer and flat iron). So, ours wasn't used much. :)

I was just wondering (for my own knowledge), where did you go the other times that you went to St Thomas? It obviously didn't impress you, so I wanted to know where to "avoid" if we go again and if it wasn't any good.

I'm afraid I only went to the shops previously, I wanted jewellery and non-electrical items.:o At the time, the pound/dollar exchange rate was excellent, so I went equipped with a shopping list for tax free goodies. I'd gone with my (now) ex and he didn't want to go to the beach. This time I can please myself! I was going to stay on board to play on the slides whilst it was quiet, but maybe I'll do that in Nassau instead. :D

I used my Canon D10 for the underwater pictures. I'm so in love with it. It is a good all around camera (and I'm a slr camera girl). So, it really impressed me. I've just checked the cost :eek: I'd have to do alot of snorkelling to justify buying one, but I never say never! :D

As for the plugs...I posted pictures of all of them. I have no clue what all of them did (or even what a UK appliance plug looks like). Hopefully you can tell from the pictures if there is one. We only needed to use 1 outlet at a time (just to charge our camera battery at night and one for the blow dryer and flat iron). So, ours wasn't used much. :) Thanks, I have two adapters (US and European) so I might get away with just these. If not I'll buy a socket strip in St Thomas. Thanks for your input too, Mike (no pun intended) :D

Carol

Edited by Rock Chick

I'd gone with my (now) ex and he didn't want to go to the beach. This time I can please myself! I was going to stay on board to play on the slides whilst it was quiet, but maybe I'll do that in Nassau instead. :D

You go girl! It's time for some "me" time for you. Go to the slides on the first day when you get on the ship. You can go on them over and over and over. No crowds usually the first day before sail away (and even after).

I've just checked the cost :eek: I'd have to do alot of snorkelling to justify buying one, but I never say never! :D

I'm not sure how much they cost right now. I know when I purchased mine, it was close to $400. I've heard people say that the cost have came down a lot (I'm thinking someone posted in the $200 range). Check amazon. They always have great deals for much cheaper. Also, you have to remember, it's not just an underwater camera...it's an all around camera that you could use for any vacation. It takes wonderful on land photos and the night photos are to die for! Here's my fireworks picture I took this year with it (I didn't feel like hauling around all my slr camera equipment this year and having to chase a 2 year old): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=25079768&postcount=10

Also, MOST of the pictures on my smugmug (including the night and deck pictures if you looked at all the "vacation" pictures on there instead of just the St Thomas one's from this link) were taken with the D10 as well (other than the fish eye pictures).

Kim

Originally Posted by Rock Chick

I'd gone with my (now) ex and he didn't want to go to the beach. This time I can please myself! I was going to stay on board to play on the slides whilst it was quiet, but maybe I'll do that in Nassau instead.

You go girl! It's time for some "me" time for you. Go to the slides on the first day when you get on the ship. You can go on them over and over and over. No crowds usually the first day before sail away (and even after).

I've just checked the cost I'd have to do alot of snorkelling to justify buying one, but I never say never!

I'm not sure how much they cost right now. I know when I purchased mine, it was close to $400. I've heard people say that the cost have came down a lot (I'm thinking someone posted in the $200 range). Check amazon. They always have great deals for much cheaper. Also, you have to remember, it's not just an underwater camera...it's an all around camera that you could use for any vacation. It takes wonderful on land photos and the night photos are to die for! Here's my fireworks picture I took this year with it (I didn't feel like hauling around all my slr camera equipment this year and having to chase a 2 year old): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showp...8&postcount=10

Also, MOST of the pictures on my smugmug (including the night and deck pictures if you looked at all the "vacation" pictures on there instead of just the St Thomas one's from this link) were taken with the D10 as well (other than the fish eye pictures).Kim

Wow!! Fab pics, Kim. The DC10 is retailing at about £200 (almost $300) on Amazon UK so I'll check it out in St. Thomas. I bought myself a Panasonic Lumix just over a year ago so I can't really justify replacing it just yet, but I'll certainly give it some thought. :cool:

As for the slides, I hadn't thought about using them on boarding day. What a great idea!! You've been really helpful, thank you so much :)

Carol

Wow!! Fab pics, Kim. The DC10 is retailing at about £200 (almost $300) on Amazon UK so I'll check it out in St. Thomas. I bought myself a Panasonic Lumix just over a year ago so I can't really justify replacing it just yet, but I'll certainly give it some thought. :cool:

As for the slides, I hadn't thought about using them on boarding day. What a great idea!! You've been really helpful, thank you so much :)

Carol

Trust me, I completely understand. I probably wouldn't want to replace one that is not too old either. However, I got lucky (for a better word I guess) and my point and shoot had broke about 3 months prior to me booking the cruise. So I knew I needed one for the cruise and decided why not get one that does it all. :D

I just looked on our amazon and the cheapest new one on there right now is $257 US dollars and a used one is $200. I ALWAYS try to check craigslist before I buy anything because you can get some great deals on there and I don't mind buying used items as long as they are in good condition. Do you guys have craigslist there? (for the future when you might need one). My only problem is I couldn't find one back when I bought mine because it was fairly new out. So, I had to pay full price. :(

If you check the boards, everyone suggest doing the slides right after you board because there are no (or next to no) lines for some reason. There's always tons of people already laying out by the pool, but most are exploring and eating. :p