Living life in a STUDIO room on the EPIC review

mitsugirly

7)There is not a hairdryer or fridge in the studios (which I had read before going on the cruise)

***as an update to this...if you ask for a hairdryer or fridge, they'll bring them to you. We spoke to one of the crew members and she indicated that they're still getting enough of everything for all the rooms. ***

7)There is not a hairdryer or fridge in the studios (which I had read before going on the cruise)

***as an update to this...if you ask for a hairdryer or fridge, they'll bring them to you. We spoke to one of the crew members and she indicated that they're still getting enough of everything for all the rooms. ***

They will deliver a fridge to the studio? Seriously? I've never heard this, but if so, I wish I knew. It sure would have beat filling up the ice buckets for the beer every day. :o

I'm a single/solo traveller myself and I have absolutely no problems with couples booking two Studio cabins. Are they supposed to contact me and say "Hey, Colin....just wanted to call and see if you were going to book a Studio cabin? If not we're gonna take one". No one owes me any special consideration merely because I'm a solo traveller.

Personally I don't take anyone else into consideration when booking my holidays unless perhaps they have some sort of special circumstance, i.e: handicapped.

Epic is not the only ship that singles can get a break on. There are plenty of discount web sites and last minute cruise sites online that have great prices for both couples and singles. Be flexible, be resourceful.

I meant within the NCL Fleet..

I do have admit that when I was reading that you were a couple with two, solo rooms I did have a bit of a twinge. Yes it's your right but felt a little unfair to those of us who travel alone, by choice or by circumstance.

The 1A on Carnival were the only rooms that Carnival ever discounted and sold at a 150% discount and the ones with the port hole or picture windows were highly sought. Then I started reading that couples were booking these rooms in order to get ocean view for the price of an inside and now they are pricing them at 200% like every other room on the ship.

I looked at the Epic to see what the prices were for the solo traveler but too expensive, at this point, for me but worried that the price will never come down because couples will be taking two rooms, using one as the dressing room and the other as the bedroom.

All I want is a room on the ship :(

I'm with you there..I just want a room on the ship as well. Thanks AuntieBon,

I've heard about the 1A's on Carnival, but I didn't know that was going on there as well and the reason for the now 200% single supplement.

Maybe I should just become part of the me, me, me crowd as well. :rolleyes:

The only way I as a solo can get a deal from this cruise thing it booking a special needs cabins..it's the same price! Heck, I want more space. I want to get over on the cruiseline too. I'm actually paying for two people as a solo, so..might as well spread out (I would be totally justified). NCL has no rules regarding this..maybe just a suggestion, so I'm not breaking any rules. Also, someone here did say doing this type of thing is a smart idea. Hey, they can go to another NCL ship or maybe even another cruiseline, for that matter, to find a room to fit their needs... They just need to be more flexible and resourceful.:cool: Hmm.

Edited by Karaokelady

I'm with you there..I just want a room on the ship as well. Thanks AuntieBon,

I've heard about the 1A's on Carnival, but I didn't know that was going on there as well and the reason for the now 200% single supplement.

Maybe I should just become part of the me, me, me crowd as well. :rolleyes:

The only way I as a solo can get a deal from this cruise thing it booking a special needs cabins..it's the same price! Heck, I want more space. I want to get over on the cruiseline too. I'm actually paying for two people as a solo, so..might as well spread out (I would be totally justified). NCL has no rules regarding this..maybe just a suggestion, so I'm not breaking any rules. Also, someone here did say doing this type of thing is a smart idea. Hey, they can go to another NCL ship or maybe even another cruiseline, for that matter, to find a room to fit their needs... They just need to be more flexible and resourceful.:cool: Hmm.

I'm missing something in your postings. Why can't you get a room? A quick perusal of several different sailings shows plenty of available studio rooms. Exactly what are you considering a price deal? My next cruise I booked already in a studio cost me just a tad over 900 bucks.

For a week that gets me my own cool, and kinda trendy room as a solo, as much food as I want and a fun ride to three great foreign ports. Doing a bit of math in my head puts that at about 130 bucks a day or maybe around $200 if I decide to splurge a bit. I think that's a great deal.

Just trying to understand.

I'm missing something in your postings. Why can't you get a room? A quick perusal of several different sailings shows plenty of available studio rooms. Exactly what are you considering a price deal? My next cruise I booked already in a studio cost me just a tad over 900 bucks.

For a week that gets me my own cool, and kinda trendy room as a solo, as much food as I want and a fun ride to three great foreign ports. Doing a bit of math in my head puts that at about 130 bucks a day or maybe around $200 if I decide to splurge a bit. I think that's a great deal.

Just trying to understand.

I think all has been said in previous post. And has been said by other poster through out cruise critic regarding this matter. I'm not speaking a foreign language. If you can't understand, then I guess you choose not to. And that's ok..I'm not gonna keep beating a dead horse (Excuse me PETA):) Consider me to be a lunatic and bypass my remarks. :p

As I understand it, the studios are meant to be one person, one cabin. That's exactly how the OP used them. Your only gripe, equally unfounded, would be with NCL who had the nerve to discount the cabins in order to fill them.

I do agree that the chair hog comment was a bit over the edge..that was just included because of my other gripe with that. I do apologize for that for taking that out on you it was wrong.

It's just that so many couples are doing what you did...yes, ok..the rooms weren't selling well at first, but this leaves it open for other couples to follow suit because they want extra room. The handicapped staterooms are on all ships, but the single staterooms or only on one and I just feel that it's unfair to be used that way on purpose when others may want them. I had looked for bookings on the Epic and I saw that many are sold out..My thought..wow..that's great that their being of benefit tothe singles, but to find out that some of the couples were booking them, I was floored. Like come on. Where are we single traveler to get a break. You should thank God that you have someone to always share expenses with. But alot of solo's do not and I thought that's what NCL was trying to provide for us so that our pockets aren't ripped apart in order to enjoy our trip.

I'm just asking that the couples who practice this, please be considerate of the single traveller, that's the only ship we can get a break on.

As I understand it, the studios are meant to be one person, one cabin. That's exactly how the OP used them. Your only gripe, equally unfounded, would be with NCL who had the nerve to discount the cabins in order to fill them.

Sigh...:confused:

Edited by Karaokelady

The difference is that if a solo cruiser cannot get a studio room they will have to pay a single supplement of 200%. The couple cruising together has the run of the ship.

For the solo cruiser it could come down to snagging a studio or not cruising, depending on that individual's financial means. :(

I think all has been said in previous post. And has been said by other poster through out cruise critic regarding this matter. I'm not speaking a foreign language. If you can't understand, then I guess you choose not to. And that's ok..I'm not gonna keep beating a dead horse (Excuse me PETA):) Consider me to be a lunatic and bypass my remarks. :p

You are really unnecessarily nast and you remarks make no sense...thats why no one under stands them.... To attack mitsugirly and ColinIllinios the way you did is outrageous.....

Book a studio....what is your problem? There are thousands available..... Technically two people can fit in a studio....would you be happy if a couple booked one studio and shared it? What business is it of yours who is in the rooms.... Do you think you own NCL???? They fill the rooms so as to not sail empty....GET OVER IT!!!!!!

I travel almost exclusively solo and the deals I have gotten on Celebrity, NCL and Carnival over the past few years blow the priced on the studios out of the water.

There is an entire Board dedicated to solo travelers and a huge thread for solo/single supplement deals....go find one for yourself and leave mitugirly alone!!!!!!!!

You are really unnecessarily nast and you remarks make no sense...thats why no one under stands them.... To attack mitsugirly and ColinIllinios the way you did is outrageous.....

Book a studio....what is your problem? There are thousands available..... Technically two people can fit in a studio....would you be happy if a couple booked one studio and shared it? What business is it of yours who is in the rooms.... Do you think you own NCL???? They fill the rooms so as to not sail empty....GET OVER IT!!!!!!

I travel almost exclusively solo and the deals I have gotten on Celebrity, NCL and Carnival over the past few years blow the priced on the studios out of the water.

There is an entire Board dedicated to solo travelers and a huge thread for solo/single supplement deals....go find one for yourself and leave mitugirly alone!!!!!!!!

As an upcoming couple who also got a great rate;) and booked 2 connecting studios:p and was wanting to gather the proper wording for a response, I COULD HAVE NOT SAID THIS ANY BETTER THAN YOU!! Thank you very much!!! :D (And A M E N!)

ditto!

you are really unnecessarily nast and you remarks make no sense...thats why no one under stands them.... To attack mitsugirly and colinillinios the way you did is outrageous.....

Book a studio....what is your problem? There are thousands available..... Technically two people can fit in a studio....would you be happy if a couple booked one studio and shared it? What business is it of yours who is in the rooms.... Do you think you own ncl???? They fill the rooms so as to not sail empty....get over it!!!!!!

I travel almost exclusively solo and the deals i have gotten on celebrity, ncl and carnival over the past few years blow the priced on the studios out of the water.

There is an entire board dedicated to solo travelers and a huge thread for solo/single supplement deals....go find one for yourself and leave mitugirly alone!!!!!!!!

amen amen amen

The difference is that if a solo cruiser cannot get a studio room they will have to pay a single supplement of 200%. The couple cruising together has the run of the ship.

For the solo cruiser it could come down to snagging a studio or not cruising, depending on that individual's financial means. :(

Its extremely rare to find an Epic sailing with the Studios sold out, since there are 128 of them. The financial incentive for a couple to book 2 of these cabins is no longer out there.

• 1 month later...
I booked my cruise back in January. They had announced that they were only going to be charging single rates for the studio instead of double occupancy for each room. So, I figured, we have to pay for 2 people anyhow (my husband and I), so why not take advantage and buy 2 rooms and it would still be the same amount and double the space and amenities. We got a great deal at only $539 (I believe it was) for each person. I'm told they are now around $1200 a room? Ouch!

That was a good deal but I notice as you did at this point they actually charge more for the studio than a single would normally pay in a regular cabin that was there way of getting around that no single supplement promise... I have not actually ever paid that much for a solo cabin on NCL or any other line for that matter... As a single cruiser the only advantage of the Studio's is if people use the lounge which does not appear to be the case... so chances are if I was going to book the Epic it would be solo in a regular cabin.

Edited by girlcruiser

To Karaokelady , I think you are so wrong. Your analogy that your booking a H/C cabin is like a couple that books two studios is so far off base. I am actually considering booking two studios for my sister and me. She can have her space and I can have mine. We are not single. We are not going solo. We are traveling together. I feel that If I chose to book a studio, I am as entitled to that cabin as much as you. What about a couple that needs two beds? Insomnia, snoring, etc. Studios fill a need for anyone that cares to book them. I do not see NCL ever saying that only a person that knows no one on the sailing can book these.

We book h/c cabins because my daughter is in a wheelchair. If I can't get her in the door of the cabin she can't go. You on the other hand have the pick of the ship. So if ALL the studios are taken you can sail in other catagories. If you book a H/C cabin and don't need it, that cabin is unavailble to us. AND if you don't understand the difference nothing anyone posts on here will change that.

So what about friends that are traveling together. Should they not book studios because , gosh they could share a cabin..

Edited by runnerandme

Am I missing something here? The studios were for solo/single people. It's set up for singles to meet and mingle, someone to hang out with (possibly).

People are booking as couples, thus eliminating the purpose of the area, using ammenities that were meant for singles to meet. It's like a mini club room that others on the ship don't have. Why would singles want to book a room here if the rooms are filled with married people?

Have to jump in here as I agree with Ruthless Boss...I waited for months to book a b2b on Epic for the solo traveler- both for the price (my 2 weeks costs the SAME as my week in April on the Spirit to Bermuda) AND to meet other solo travelers. I have traveled when married as a couple and now as a solo- I felt that NCL was recognizing a market and trying to meet the need. As a solo traveler it is more difficult to meet people to hang out with on a regular cruise- freestyle or not. NCL appeared to address that with solo cabins- As in any new thing- it takes time to catch on...Since then, the price has gone up- and I am disappointed to hear that couples are booking the cabins. I really don't want to meet any more couples- I will see them at the M&G- everywhere on the ship...it was nice to think I would meet people in the same social place I am- it's kind of like a courtyard villa...it caters to a certain clientele and wouldn't be the same if everyone hung out in the courtyard! (don't flame me with the money analogy- it is an ambience analogy) . I thought it was 'exclusive' to solos (as it was marketed and as my NCL cruise consultant told me it was)- there are plenty of cabins for couples, families, richer , poorer etc.- but until now..none that were exclusively for solos....just wish that NCL had waited for it to catch on before changing their declared purpose

Hi just got off the Epic. Sailed Nov 6. I coin myself as a semi solo traveler as my cruise partner the last year or so has been my 7 y/o. Well, I took advantage of the incredible Solo rate that was given in Jan and booked adjoining studios for my son and I. I would love to do this again, but as I've been checking since my return, the studios are quite expensive now and I can book a regular inside cabin for less.

This does disappoint me as during My Nov cruise, there was a nightly 2 for 1 happy hour in the studio lounge that was hosted by a Cruise Staff memeber. Cat was our cruise staff hostess and she was incredible. She had one of the blue man group members (not in costume) come to the happy hour and we got to talk and ask questions in this more social setting. She also had the magician come hang out. It was awesome. It was a great opportunity for the solo travelers to mingle and talk. I felt like some new friends were made.

As these solo cabins are currently priced, I'm bummed and it is not economically advantagious to book 2 studios at this time. I hope to have the opportunity to book them again and look forward to the 2 new ships being built as it has been anounced they will have the studio concept. Time will tell. I wish NCL would modify the price a bit, but I understand the supply and demand concept and as a business woman fully understand them getting the top dollar they can get. I am glad I got to experience the Studio cabins at the great rate. The Epic was an incredible vacation

I think the solo cabins are a great idea and that they appeal to a niche market that has previously been underserved. I think the common area with some activities to facilitate meeting new people is very practical-- what I don't understand is why some of the solo travelers who have posted here apparently would not want to socialize with a couple and assume that couples wouldn't want to socialize with them? I can't think of a reason in the world why these two groups shouldn't enjoy each others' company. I can't imagine closing the door to entertaining or interesting people because one of us is alone or married... I have been "adopted" by couples when traveling solo in the past, and we continue to adopt singles to this day, and I think it enriches everyone's trip!

I do understand singles' frustration at not finding these solo cabins available when they want them, but we live in a first-come, first-served corporate world, so book early or consider a different kind of cabin, the same as the rest of us do when trying to get our preference. I do hope that everyone who wants to try out these cabins gets a chance to do so and has a great trip!! :)

Maybe I should just become part of the me, me, me crowd as well.

The only way I as a solo can get a deal from this cruise thing it booking a special needs cabins..it's the same price! Heck, I want more space. I want to get over on the cruiseline too. I'm actually paying for two people as a solo, so..might as well spread out (I would be totally justified). NCL has no rules regarding this..maybe just a suggestion, so I'm not breaking any rules. Also, someone here did say doing this type of thing is a smart idea. Hey, they can go to another NCL ship or maybe even another cruiseline, for that matter, to find a room to fit their needs... They just need to be more flexible and resourceful. Hmm.

I understand the sarcasm, and it's just my 2 cents, but comparing a couple booking 2 studios to an able-bodied couple booking an accessible room is just nuts.

1. There are 128 studio cabins on the Epic. I don't see any cruise ships with even 1/2 that many accessible cabins, or even 1/4 that many accessible cabins.

2. If a single can't book a studio cabin, they can still cruise. They may have to pay a bit more and will get a bigger cabin in the bargain. If a disabled person who needs an accessible cabin can't get an accessible cabin, it's not simply a matter of paying more, THEY CAN'T GO!

Disabled passengers aren't looking for a "deal", they're looking to be able to even take a cruise. Believe me, most all (if not all) disabled cruisers that I've met would be more than happy to pay rack rates (or more) for a standard cabin if it enabled them to be able bodied for the week!!!

Edited by CannonFodder