Your Time Dining - True Perceptions (Experiences) from Cruisers

Synthetic

OK - while I did see a few posts on this subject already, I felt it called for a more pointed thread. Here is the scoop:

I am going on my 32nd cruise in December (I'm cruising in Nov also but the people I am going with want early seating with a reserved table) and have heard so many rave reviews about Your Time Dining that I am contemplating trying it out. Having been on so many cruises with seated dining, I am excited yet concerned about the concept. Below are a couple questions:

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer?

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true?

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining?

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.)

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it.

6. For those who have tried it and did not like it, what are your top 3 reasons for not liking it?

Thanks in advance for all of your insight....

---Buzz

Hi Synthetic, we did anytime dining on the Sensation Dec 09..we loved it. I will try to answer your questions. A little background I have been on 8 cruises on 3 different cruiselines ie: Carnival, Celebrity and Holland America..We have done your time anytime freestyle etc only once. We are 56 & 57 years of age and live in Central Florida. Okay here we go.We traveled with my dd on the Sensation so my replies will include 3 people

1.No it feels like a dining room with choices, I was never given a buzzer.

2.We always requested a three top and were given exactly that.

3. Mostly fourtops a few large rounds that hold eight or ten and lots of tables for 2

4. We enjoyed having this time to enjoy each other but that is certainly a personal choice and you can request to be seated with others if you so choose

5. I can eat when I want to,I can change my server if I so choose without hurting anyones feelings or request that server again, I do not have to deal with people I choose not to at my table.

6.We could not find fault with your time dining and we will be doing it again on our next cruise in 5 days.

Enjoy

Later,

Rhonda aka mucklucks

We have done the your time dining on our last 2 cruises. We have only been given a buzzer once, on formal night and we really didn't have to wait long, you could go anywhere on the ship except you room and the buzzer would work.

I think that the dining room tries to put your party at a table by itself. If it is busy you will be placed at a table with others. The tables for two are placed close together and it is sometimes awkward, but on slower nights/times they try to space you out.

You can request the same wait team or try a different wait team each night.

We really enjoy being able to go to dinner when we feel like it. If we have a late lunch we don't have to turn around and eat again at 6pm or leave the pool while the sun is still out because we have to get ready. Or if we missed lunch due to an excursion we don't have to wait until 8pm.

However because we are not forced to get ready by certain times we have missed the past guest and captain's receptions, but we were having fun somewhere else.

I also think that by going at off times our food gets delivered to us while it is still hot as opposed to the waiter bring 3 table tops out at one time and yours is the last served.

These are just some of my thoughts, but enjoy which ever you do.

Here's my experience with YTD.

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer? We only received the pager on the first night. We went at 7:30pm and waited about 30 minutes. After that, the Hostess seated us at the same table every night (except one night when it was not available).

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true? I don't have any experience with this because we were a party of 9 and sat together.

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining? I believe 2,4,6,8,10,12 (12 seaters only on some ships). There are also booths.

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? Not at all - I feel it allowed us to do more on the ship because we went to dinner when we felt like it, not at a scheduled time.

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it. I liked it for convenience. We were also lucky and had the same wait staff every night except 1. Also, if you didn't want to go to the MDR, you wouldn't leave your table mates guessing whether or not you were going to show up.

6. For those who have tried it and did not like it, what are your top 3 reasons for not liking it? I am cruising in January and we chose not to do YTD. There are just 2 of us going and we don't want to risk having to sit at a table for 2 every night. We would like to have the same table mates all week.

Good luck and have a great cruise.

OK - while I did see a few posts on this subject already, I felt it called for a more pointed thread. Here is the scoop:

I am going on my 32nd cruise in December (I'm cruising in Nov also but the people I am going with want early seating with a reserved table) and have heard so many rave reviews about Your Time Dining that I am contemplating trying it out. Having been on so many cruises with seated dining, I am excited yet concerned about the concept. Below are a couple questions:

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer? Have never wait more than 10-15 minutes so no

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true? No you can ask to be seated with others or not

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining? 2-10 but some of the 2 tops are very close with in inches

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.) No not really as you still meet folks around the ship. And most of the time we Cruise to have together time.

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it. 1-can go to dinner when we want early or late 2-food is delivered faster as we usually sit at a 2 top and waiter doesn't wait for other to finish a course before serving the next. 3-can request the same wait staff each night if you like them or change if you don't.

6. For those who have tried it and did not like it, what are your top 3 reasons for not liking it?

---Buzz

Have a GREAT Cruise!

We did this for the first time on the Miracle in May and liked it. We find that early dining can be a little too early and late a little too late. We had a group of 9, but the whole group only ate together one nite (that nite we waited about 20 minutes because we needed such a large table).

Even though we had flexibilty, we ended up eating around 6:30-6:45 each nite, simply because it was easy to coordinate the group for a set time. I was glad we chose that time, though, because the line really started to form around 7. Yes, if you need to wait, they give you a buzzer, and you can go have a drink or stand outside on the deck. We did not attempt to sit with others with a group so large, but I'm sure the option is there. The table sizes are assorted, just like in the MDR. But ordinarily, I think they will seat you just with your group unless you ask otherwise.

If you enjoy the waiter's show, it's not the same with this set-up, as everyone is not done being served at any given time. The waiters who had time would join with the show.

We didn't bother trying to request the same waiters...if you decide to do that, you may have a little longer wait.

I liked the Your Time dining, but I also like regular dining. The flexibility is great if you have a port-intensive cruise where you may want a little more downtime before rushing to dinner. But different people like different dining experiences, so you kind of have to decide what is important to you!

Have done YTD twice now (once on the Legend and once on the Freedom). Loved it and will always choose it as long as it is available.

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer?

It feels just like the dining room under assigned dining times except that I can go whenever it is convenient for me. I have never been given a buzzer and only had to wait once for approximately five minutes. The wait was only because we requested to be seated in a particular section with our favorite wait team.

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true?

I guess you could request to sit with other diners if you wanted but that is my favorite thing about YTD. I get to dine with the people I am on the cruise with and only them and it's never an issue to do so.

As the previous poster stated -- mostly 2 and 4 tops. Though there are a few larger tables that I saw. I guess if I was traveling with a larger group I might choose traditional dining as I could see how there might occasionally be a wait for larger parties in YTD due to the lack of larger tables.

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.)

I feel that for me it enhances my cruise experience. While I love people, I am not very fond of eating with strangers (even though they aren't truly strangers after a day or so.) I have an issue with the manners that some people exhibit while eating (chewing with their mouth open, shoveling food into their faces like a backhoe, smacking, crunching, and most other "eating noises.") I know this makes me sound like I'm b*tchy but I promise I'm not. I really wish I didn't have these issues. I just can't help it. Eating noises (even from myself sometimes) makes me nauseous if it's too loud. I know that people who have poor manners like that are few and far between. It's just been my luck in the past to always get seated with one and I always felt guilty for staring down at my plate, trying to not hear and/or see them as they ate. By dining with only the people I travel with (who all know about my issue), it is less stressful for me. If I have to get up and leave the table, they understand, etc. Now -- I realize that not everyone is like me. In fact, probably no one is. LOL For those that enjoy the aspect of meeting and potentially making friends with their dining companions, YTD might not be the right choice. For me -- it's the only choice.

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it.

1) Not having to dine with people I don't know.

2) Convenience of being able to go when I want to go/am hungry, etc.

3) Being able to meet and converse with different wait teams or if I really like one particular team, requesting to be seated in their section every night.

Nothing that I don't like about it but again -- it's a personal decision. It's definitely not for everyone. I hope that you make the decision that is right for you and that you enjoy your cruise as much as you have enjoyed the 30+ previous ones.

---Buzz

Take care,

And I must truthfully tell you that I detest the waiter's show. I find it boring and repetitive and quite frankly kinda like a TGIFridays... Birthday song = the staff hates it but they are required to do it...

So for that reason alone I will have to get YTD...

One other question for clarification: I often cruise alone and am wondering if the large tables are a collection of different people or big groups traveling together, or both. I'd had to do YTD and be sat alone... heh...

Just got back yesterday on our first cruise with YTD and we LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!

Will NEVER go back to seating times again...

NEVER had to wait any night we went at various times, so I can't speak to the buzzer issue.

They actually seemed to try to space people out and not seat tables directly next to each other, until they absolutely had to.

Lots of two tops, they would always be able to pull 2 -twos into a four if needed. First night we were at a two top in the middle of 2 eight tops, 2 six tops and 2 four tops...

We actually met people throughout the cruise and wound up dining with those people by the end of the cruise. So basically, WE chose our tablemates by the end.

Much better IMHO..

The service was much, much faster and personalized....

Almost to the point of the waiters hovering over. (filling glasses instantly, constantly)

If you stayed at the same table every night, your waiters had your drink orders, ready, etc... just like assigned dining.

You could choose your seat from anywhere on that side of the dining room.

There was not one single thing I did not like about YTD....

I'm hoping that the clamoring we saw the first night, from people wanting to switch to YTD dining, that hopefully it will expand from 2/3 of one dining room, to a full dining room by the time we cruise again in two months.

Bill

Just got back yesterday on our first cruise with YTD and we LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!

Will NEVER go back to seating times again...

NEVER had to wait any night we went at various times, so I can't speak to the buzzer issue.

They actually seemed to try to space people out and not seat tables directly next to each other, until they absolutely had to.

Lots of two tops, they would always be able to pull 2 -twos into a four if needed. First night we were at a two top in the middle of 2 eight tops, 2 six tops and 2 four tops...

We actually met people throughout the cruise and wound up dining with those people by the end of the cruise. So basically, WE chose our tablemates by the end.

Much better IMHO..

The service was much, much faster and personalized....

Almost to the point of the waiters hovering over. (filling glasses instantly, constantly)

If you stayed at the same table every night, your waiters had your drink orders, ready, etc... just like assigned dining.

You could choose your seat from anywhere on that side of the dining room.

There was not one single thing I did not like about YTD....

I'm hoping that the clamoring we saw the first night, from people wanting to switch to YTD dining, that hopefully it will expand from 2/3 of one dining room, to a full dining room by the time we cruise again in two months.

Bill

Bill,

thanks for the insight - especially on the service aspect, as that will drive me to choose this type of dining... I hate that for scheduled seating that the waiters seem in a rush to get you out of the MDR...

Best thing they ever implemented.......

We found that the wait staff is more friendly and not rushed. Fast and efficient! Love going when we are ready to go and take our time getting ready. If we feel like hanging out a little longer on our balcony we can.

What's not to like IMO.....

---Buzz

1.) Certainly not. The last two cruises, so probably 10 nights we ate in the MDR, we only got a buzzer once, on a first night. Other than that they just smile and take you to your table.

2.) There is the option of eating with others. You just let them know what you want to do. With us it's just "we'd like an out of the way 2-top." "No problem, right this way."

3.) Many sizes available, 8tops to 2 tops.

4.) You see, this is the objective part. We have NEVER been big fans of tablemates. Sometimes we get great people, often not. Allot of forced small talk that I really hate. For us, DW and I are on vaca and just want to be together the two of us. If we meet people on board and want to eat with them, we can always go together and get a bigger table. You will only get probably 2 dancing shows per cruise. But with your experience you've probably seen a million of them like us and missing most of them does not bother us. If you get real attached to a certain waiter you can always request the same one, but for us, we're there to eat, not make nice with the whole wait staff. Service we find BETTER than set time seating.

5.) Quick, no schedule, no forced small talk

6.) I got nothin. Give it a try.

Best thing they ever implemented.......

We found that the wait staff is more friendly and not rushed. Fast and efficient! Love going when we are ready to go and take our time getting ready. If we feel like hanging out a little longer on our balcony we can.

What's not to like IMO.....

Ditto. We were pretty well stuck on NCL's freestyle until CCL started Anytime. They got customers back on board with us.

• 1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer?

No. We were always greeted warmly and we only received a buzzer once out of all the nights we dined there. We were given a choice between being seated with a large group or sitting by ourselves (just my husband and myself). I like meeting new people so we always requested a table with new people at dinner. I met some fantastic people that way.

• 2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true?

Generally, yes. But if you happen to have some new friends you can bring them and dine with them. I know some of our friends had a set dining time but ended up switching so they could eat with friends instead of the quiet people they were assigned to eat with each night.

• 3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining?

Depends on what you want. You tell them if you want to eat with your significant other or friends or if you wanna meet new people.

• 4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.)

When we did it it was our first cruise so I don't know if it would make any difference. We plan on doing anytime dining again for our second cruise.

• 5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it.

A) Anytime we felt hungry for dinner we could go. We generally went on off-peak times and never had an issue with a crowd. I felt like we were not pressured to be at dinner at a certain time and that is good for me personally.

B) We got to meet a new waiter and new people each night. You can always request a favorite waiter if you fall in love with one but we didn't mind eating in a different section each time.

C) If you didn't feel like eating with people that night you had the choice to decline and get a two or four top table.

We tried it once- not for us.

1)I constantly felt like I was herding cats to get us all to dinner- with a set time, it is set.

2)Some or many of the waiters seemed far less invested in pleasing us. One simply refused to get us the dessert we requested, arguing that it wasn't available. (It was- kids menu, as I told him 4 times).

3)As far as eating when I am hungry- one thing I have never encountered onboard is a problem with being hungry. With all the other options for food- at least with a set time you know that 20 minutes before your appointed hour, you probably don't want to hit the pizza.

We never had to wait more than a couple of minutes and always had a table for the number of people in our group.

I love your time dining. Especially when cruising with my spouse. If I were going with a large group I might do traditional set times. (8 to 10 people).

Why I like it. No small talk. As a gay couple sometimes we get cold icy stares and who needs that while eating ? Or worse yet the M.D. trying to set us up with single women.

Also I work with the public and always make small talk so set dining feels to much like work.

Also hate the too early or too late times with traditional...

---Buzz

It is exactly the same as dining out on land. You have a reservation and you wait or not, or you don't have a reservation and you wait or not. The major difference from land for me is that Carnival ships were not designed for anytime dining and the tables are too close together. That is not a problem with traditional assigned dining when all are entering or leaving at approximately the same time. But for "Your Time" people are moving about all the time and I felt like I was in a pin ball machine with all the bumping and "Excuse me's" We dine out at home all the time, I enjoy the DIFFERENCE and relaxed pace of traditional while at sea for a short time. [a 14 day cruise IS a short time]

---Buzz

Buzz, we DW, BIL,SIL tried Your Time Dining on the Dream in January for two meals, first night on board and first elegant night. Primarily because Carnival screwed up and did not honor our request for late seating. DW and SIL didn't care for it so we switched to late seating.

In answer to your questions:

1. Yes it's just like going to your local Applebees or Olive Garden or othe rchain at peak dining times where you are given a buzzer.

2. You are only with the party you come with. BUUTTTT you arer so close to other tables you are in effect a part of their group too.

3. You can request 2-4 tops, and I saw one party in a 6 top of 3 2 tops pushed together. I don't see this as a viable option for larger groups wishing to dine together.

4. Neither detracts nor adds to the overal experience. There are pros and cons for doing either style.

5. See 6.

6. a)Service was hectic and slower than the assigned seated arrangements. We had some dishes served to us before the group next to us swere served the same course and they were already seated and had their drinks. Waitstaff was rushed and hurried to make sure they handled all assigned tables.

b) Too many younger children (3-5) running amok and parents not paying attention and making them behave. Crowding of tables made this more unbearable as not only were waiters and other diners pushing against chairs to get in and out but kids wandering around were also jostling you.

c) No interaction with waitstaff and no real interaction with others eating next to you.

Our wait on elelgant night was nearly 30 minutes at 7:30P.

We switched back to assigned dining-"Our Time" dining-and made sure our seating was also "Our Time" for our crusie last may and for our cruise next June. We have used the buffet on th eLido deck at times when we didn't wish to wait until late seating or wanted to catch an earlier show.

---Buzz

DW and I were on Sensation last Spring. Loved My Time.

1. Feel like a restaraunt -- No. We waited maybe five minutes the first night, just stood by the maitre'd station while they found a table. Seated immediately every other night.

2. A table for two each time.

3. I assume plenty there were twos, threes, fours, and booths

4. Not sure if I qualify as experienced but I prefer this to being seated with people I don't know, had one good experience and one bad with traditional.

5. Eat anytime, dine with just who I want

6. Can't think of any, unless you are really the "I want to meet people I don't know" type and want to do that over dinner.

Ed

I know a lot of people like it but personally I loathe the idea of sitting at a table and eating dinner with people I don't know. I want to have a private conversation with my wife or anyone else in my party and I am sitting across from perfect strangers.

I can also have moments of silence when with people I know and it isn't awkward or uncomfortable. If I am with some strange people then I will feel pressure to entertain and keep the conversation moving when I just want to enjoy a nice dinner.

I am sure there are good things about it but it isn't for me.

I have only been on one cruise and we did any time dining and thought it was great. We never waited for more than 30 seconds, got seated in the section of our favorite wait staff and the party size of our choosing so we never sat with strangers. What if you don't like your strangers? You just avoid going to the MDR to avoid the meeting.

We eat when we WANT to... If we're hungry at 5 of 9 we can eat at our leisure and isn't that what cruising is all about?

As far as I can see there are many positives and no negatives.

It was wonderful and we're doing it again for our cruise that leaves TOMORROW!!!

1. Does it feel like you are at a restaurant and simply didn't make reservations so they give you a buzzer? Never got a buzzer, even on Formal night.

2. I am assuming you are tabled with whomever happens to be trying to eat when you do, is this true? Like a restaurant, we were asked how many were in our party.

3. What are the table sizes for this type of dining? We sat at a 2 & a 4 but I know they have larger tables.

4. For experienced cruisers - do you feel this detracts from your cruise experience? (We've often taken in shows with our tablemates, etc.) Not at all. We were still able to meet people and do things with them if we wanted.

5. For those who have tried it and liked it, what are your top 3 reasons you liked it. Convenience, being able to sit w/other people only if we wanted, still being able to eat in the MDR at the time we wanted (not at 6:15 or 8pm)

6. For those who have tried it and did not like it, what are your top 3 reasons for not liking it? Forgetting about the past guest party & captains party because we decided we hungery right then:cool: I swear, we're going to remember this time!:D

---Buzz

I don't think we'll ever go back to regular dining.

Archived