Book Now Or Wait...

Ivy1908

I've never booked Early Saver rate before but the lady at Carnival said it is the best value right now. Has anyone ever booked "Early Saver" and if so what did you think?

I'm wondering if I should just wait to book closer to the time of the cruise (May 2011)? :confused:

We booked ES, but then I watch the prices almost religiously to see if they drop. If they do then I always submit for the OBC. We're leaving this weekend, booked back in March and are leaving with $60 in OBC because the price dropped twice. :D

I booked early saver last year, I booked in August for May cruise - my sister did too and got a credit on a price drop - I didn't but I had no problems at all - Just be forewarned with the early saver there are no name changes, and I think it costs $50 pp to make a date change. Which cruise in May are you taking, we are going to be booking the Freedom Western Caribbean on May 7th 2011

I've never booked Early Saver rate before but the lady at Carnival said it is the best value right now. Has anyone ever booked "Early Saver" and if so what did you think?

I'm wondering if I should just wait to book closer to the time of the cruise (May 2011)? :confused:

So we both are locked in once we book but we can change the dates of our cruise for $50? Does it have to be the same cruise within a yr? Does this apply to canceling or changing before we make final payment too?

There are 3 different ones that we are looking at but it looks like it may be the 8 day Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom.

I booked early saver last year, I booked in August for May cruise - my sister did too and got a credit on a price drop - I didn't but I had no problems at all - Just be forewarned with the early saver there are no name changes, and I think it costs $50 pp to make a date change. Which cruise in May are you taking, we are going to be booking the Freedom Western Caribbean on May 7th 2011

Book it now. I have used early saver twice now and love it. As long as you don't cancel your cruise. Your rate cannot go up and if it goes down, you get the OBC by just filling out a short form. Our next cruise has gone up $210 pp already. It doesn't always pay to wait to book.

Have a great trip.

If you book now you'll get a rate that should be quite a bit less than any of the current rates and may stay that way. If the Early Saver Rate (or any of the other Past Guest, 55+. Resident or Miltary Rates that you are eligible for) drop, you can file for a downward price adjustment. The Early Saver Rates stop being offered 3 months prior to shorter cruises and 5 months prior to longer cruises, but you're still eligible for drops in the aforementioned fares (that you are eligible for) up to 2 business days before Sailing

Your ES deposit is "non-refundable" meaning that if you cancel, you're charged $50pp penalty and the remainder of your deposit can be used to book a different cruise w/in 2 years. You cannot substitute another passenger for the originally booked passengers. Thoroughly familiarize yourself with the links and Terms & Conditions at http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/default.aspx

ken

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/earlysaver/default.aspx

We have booked ES and it worked very well for our family. Price drops before final payment on both cabin categories, and another drop after final payment resulting in OBC.

This time we booked past guest though. It was lower than ES.

I was nervous about booking now with ES because so many people on here have complaints about it.

But it seems that if we are certain that we are going that it is the best choice to book ES.

Will trip insurance cover us if we booked ES and something happened that we couldnt make it? Or would we stand to lose all of our $ b/c we of the ES restraints?

I was nervous about booking now with ES because so many people on here have complaints about it.

But it seems that if we are certain that we are going that it is the best choice to book ES.

Will trip insurance cover us if we booked ES and something happened that we couldnt make it? Or would we stand to lose all of our $ b/c we of the ES restraints?

As long as you are cancelling for a reason covered in the Policy, the Carnival Trip Insurance (and most other policies) will cover any non-refundable charges incurred due to your cancellation for covered reasons. Maker sure you read the policy and understand the (not too many) reasons that you can cancel. "Govt Fees & Taxes" are refundable with or without Insurance.

You can also purchase some Policies (but HAS to be w/in 2-3 weeks of your cruise deposit) with "Cancel for any reason" coverage - but be aware that the Premium is about 50% more for this and it generally doesn't cover 100% (More likely 70% to 80%).

Ken

Just wondering if you just book a regular booking , if the price goes down, can you still get the OBC?:)

If you book FunSelect, Past Guest, 55+, Resident or Military, if your fare drops prior to Final Payment, you can get a price drop (your final payment balance will be reduced); if your fare drops after final payment you may be able to get an upgrade. You can also cancel these bookings prior to final payment with no Penalty. ken

So we both are locked in once we book but we can change the dates of our cruise for $50? Does it have to be the same cruise within a yr? Does this apply to canceling or changing before we make final payment too?

There are 3 different ones that we are looking at but it looks like it may be the 8 day Eastern Caribbean on the Freedom.

Be careful about planning to change cruises and/ or dates. Pick a date and book it. The rules are relatively strict in exchange for a "guaranteed low price".

Also understand that they can have promotions such os offereing OBC and that doesn't trigger a refund back to you either. I'm not a big fan of ES but when I booked mine the pricing has gone up and now is selling slightly higher (5%) so I did book the low price. When I book a cruise, I plan to go and go regardless of whatever happens. If you are one that puts deposits down and cancell, ES may not be the best for you.

Sorry PJK, I didn't read your post: Mine has never gone down and it appears my category is probably sold out so I won't get anything.

How many times has anyone booked a ES and the price never went down? Right now the cruise I am looking at is 879.00 for a balcony.

For a popular cruise that sells well, not uncommon - but you still would get an ES rate that's lower than any of the other rates being offered at time of booking. ken

I booked ES in Jan. for our Dec.2010 Cruise. We have saved almost $800. so far. This is for two people in a Balcony cabin.

Like other posters have stated know and read all the fine print before you book ES. I did find out about all the if's and now I'm not complaining at all. :D Doxie

So we both are locked in once we book but we can change the dates of our cruise for $50? Does it have to be the same cruise within a yr? 2 Years. You can change to any different cruise (a different ship, a different sailing, a different Category and you don't even have to book ES, but you can't ever get your deposit refunded. Does this apply to canceling or changing before we make final payment too? You can ONLY cancel ES and rebook a different cruise prior to Final Payment; This goes away after Final Payment and the Cancellation Penalties outlined in the Cruise Contract Apply.

Ken

LOVE early saver, booked for our February cruise, have gotten 60 for both of us off, and now the cruise is about 120 more than what we had paid for it.

I will never not use the ES

Also understand that they can have promotions such os offereing OBC and that doesn't trigger a refund back to you either. .

To price match ES to the OBC offer it works differently:

if you subtract the per person OBC (note that the OBC is stated per cabin!) and it's less than your ES fare, you have to actually buy-up to the OBC Fare/Booking, then take the OBC when you get aboard ship. So you can price match with the OBC (and the Cash-Back) offers, but you have to pay the higher fare then get the OBC as credit aboard ship. ken

Book it now. I have used early saver twice now and love it. As long as you don't cancel your cruise. Your rate cannot go up and if it goes down, you get the OBC by just filling out a short form. Our next cruise has gone up $210 pp already. It doesn't always pay to wait to book.

Have a great trip.

I agree, we waited on our next cruise, watched it go up and up.......now its totally sold out and has been since July (and this cruise is in Feb 2011).....happy we booked Early Saver and at least got the lowest going rate at that time.

You get price drops if the price drops and it is before your final payment............you get OBC if it is AFTER final payment. You really can't lose.

Thanks everyone! I usually make sure that I'm def going on the cruise that I book and have no intentions of canceling. I also get insurance in case of emergencies. I just wanted to make sure there where no other "fine print" restrictions that I wasnt aware of before we book. It looks like ES is not so bad after all.....right now its cheaper than booking with the past guest discount. The only downside I can see right now is that I will have 8 months to wait to cruise! :eek::D

Archived