how many pieces of luggage

sailoruk

Now THAT photo gave me a good laugh!!!

Not so funny when we got to the hotel we stopped in overnight half-way to the port. It turned out that the car park was no where near the hotel and not secure so we had to take all the luggage in, the elevator was not working and the hotel had no porter.

By the way you cannot see half the luggage but we did both fit in the car - just.

Sue

We usually are gone a month when we cruise. We tend to each have a 29 inch, a 25 inch, and a 21 inch rolling carry on. Then I have my travel purse and my husband has his back pack. These fit under the seat and have the camera. mini-laptop, and other travel "needs" and personal items and documents. Our 21 inch carry on usually holds enough clothing for our pre-cruise stays, so we don't have to open the larger suitcases until we arrive on board.

On a two month land trip to Europe, we took one 29 inch, one 25 inch and one 21 inch carry on and the travel purse and backpack. I think we did well for that trip, but my husband still complains that we took too much!:)

Mary

When I started this thread - never realised would have such a good laugh - but it is so true, I think we all take too much, but who cares, I personally like to see the cupboards full and in the morning like to think - yes I have a choice:) - I don't notice what other people wear i.e. if they wore them before etc. etc.

I am thrilled tho we don't have to catch a flight this time - a first for us -

Many Many moons ago when I sailed out of Southampton on a Union-Castle Ship going to South Africa there were porters and people had heavy "Cabin Trunks" - those were the days;)

Anyway we have one medium size roll on and a small one (airline cabin size) each. together with a "vanity" case and my hubby a sort of back pack for PC etc. At this point cannot close them, so either I take another case:o or just sit on them

Not so funny when we got to the hotel we stopped in overnight half-way to the port. It turned out that the car park was no where near the hotel and not secure so we had to take all the luggage in, the elevator was not working and the hotel had no porter.

By the way you cannot see half the luggage but we did both fit in the car - just.

Sue

I heard a horror story about that. A guy I work with was going to the Jazz Festival in New Orleans with his wife and 1 year old. They stayed at an airport hotel the night before their flight from Salt Lake City, got there late and just took the minimum into the hotel with them. When they got up in the AM, the car window had been smashed and everything was gone--cameras, computers (his wife is an attorney and her work laptop was missing), all of the baby's clothes and gear--everything! They went anyway, rented a car and drove straight to a WalMart and bought enough to last until they got home--but that has made me very paranoid about leaving anything valuable in my car overnight! At a minimum I always bring the camera and the computer inside with me.

BTW this was at a Marriott, well lit parking lot, not some dive!! So your instincts were good even if it was a royal pain!!

If we book the cruise we're currently looking at, then we'll be driving to the port (bout an hour & half) it's a 7 day, so we'll take a suitcase each...really could get away with one, but we'll each have a pillow, & I'll stick the toiletry bag in one too. We'll also each have a back pack with a bathing suit, & one change of clothes, in case our suitcases somehow go MIA. When we went for almost 3 weeks last year, we took the same amount really, but since we flew, we also shared a carry on.

Let's see.... 14 days on Connie in the PH for 4 ladies. We're currently at 4 28" hardsiders; 8 20" square hardsiders; and some assorted carryons. (Let me make you laugh: ALL of that luggage is MINE.)

There will probably be more; I don't wear an evening outfit more than once, and with all of that room to spread out in, I bring whatever I want to.[/quote]

Are you saying that you actually WEAR all of those clothes? Is this why you choose to drive 1000 or so miles instead of flying to the port? Our group of 4 is leaving tomorrow for a 19 day trip and you have more luggage that the 4 of us combined (literally). Wow...

14 days 1 28" each. That's it. Anymore is just crazy!

Well, that's not a very nice thing to say. Are you implying that we are all dumb?:mad:

there is that better? Crazy is a better word. yes there is no reason to overpack on a cruise. NONE. But what they heck if it makes you feel better do it. Doesn't affect me.

When we first started cruising, we used to take much more luggage than we do now. We came to realize that we didn't need or use half the stuff we had packed and dragged along and that by doing so, the only thing we had accomplished was to make extra work for ourselves.

(Thinking of the expression "less is more" that was popular some time ago.)

New cruisers can sometimes be overwhelmed by those long packing lists that people post on message boards, falsely believing that it is necessary to bring all those things along rather than viewing them only as suggestions.

By the time they have taken a couple of cruises, I think most people have figured out which items they actually use and which they don't and are able to personalize their own packing lists to suit their own preferences.

We just finished our 10D with 2D before and 2 after. Took one 25", one roll-on each and a carrybag each. that is probably what we'd use for any cruise. that's what we had for our 10N/13N B2B and it worked out.

As most have said, started with the 'have to take that just in case' and way too many bags. So now if we drive or fly, we stick with the one check-in size, one each roll on and a bag with camera and light stuff each. Doesn't matter if we drive or fly, unless it is a 7N fly and then we do rollons and carrybag.

We are now Elite (I say that so I can identify myself as being so much more superior that all others!!), and get the 30piece laundry for each of us so I can cut back even more. As my wife unpacked today, she identified a jacket a a top she didn't need and will cut back more. That's my suggestion - take a good look at the end at what you actually wore and what you either didn't or could have gotton by without. Hard to decide when you are packing - take a look at what you actually needed during/after the cruise.

I took a dark suit and no sport jacket - I do like a jacket so I have more pockets! - so I wore my suitcoat with brown pants for a sportslook. Neat for me.

I also have started using the zippered pants. Columbia is one brand and I've found lowpriced ones also. Heck, some have built-ins for swimming, and they dry out very quickly and are very light. So I don't take shorts, I have the zippered pants.

Denny

There must be something wrong with me because I can never get my space bags to work. Some of the air comes out, but not all and they never get totally flat.

I've had failures with them as well. But I always have a couple extras with me; the bad ones get dumped as soon as they're discovered to be useless.

It is difficult to get all of the air out of the rollup ones. The ones that you suck the air out of seem to work much much better.

The problem is that I end up wearing everything I bring; usually twice! Last cruise was in February to Antarctica. We had to pack hot weather clothes for 90 degree temps in Buenos Aires, and then the cold weather clothes. We packed our 3 in 1 squall jackets in a space bag and compressed them nicely - they only weighed slightly over a pound apiece and took up very little room in the suitcase. I think the only items of clothing that I didn't wear, were two ribbed turtlenecks.

So is that still overpacking???Men probably say yes, but many women might say no. Me? I'm not sure. I wish I knew how to do better.;)

Mary

Archived