What's up with cruise prices?

charyoung

• Administrators

Everyone is more than welcomed to discuss the rising cost of cruises, but no reference to any travel agency or booking engine or ANY OTHER SOURCE of purchasing a cruise -- by name (disguised or otherwise) may be made.

Information on this guideline is linked in the ANNOUNCEMENT area of the forums.

As mentioned, you have to CALL the agencies to get the "good deals"... try calling around... or call a Carnival PVP. All pricing "advertised" online is about the same now, but calling around will result in lower pricing.

I too used to see a flucuation (?spelling) in prices online so I just went ahead and booked my cruise yesterday because I didn't think I'd find it any cheaper anywhere else. Wish I saw this post yesterday. I would have done some calling. But no need to be down about because I am going to have a GREAT time anyway. :)

Generally speaking, booking at least six months out will yield the best prices. The trend is for fares to rise significantly as the sail date approaches (I got a nice deal on the Miracle 5/8, booked last November - my category is up over $200pp as of yesterday).

Carnival's new policy prohibits advertising prices lower than theirs; but checking with TA's (either on-line or by calling) can get you a deal. This is in sharp contrast to RCI, which actually forbids charging less than the cruise line's price. Those "preferred agents" can issue MasterCards with a pre-determined benefit (usually a percentage of the fare) which you may use anywhere at any time. It's not the same as a lower price, but I guess the effect is pretty close - still don't like it, which is why I've booked Carnival.

Al

Supply and Demand plain and simple. The oldest universal economical rule there is.

Fewer new ships coming out.

No terrorist attacks in 3 1/2 years.

Better economy.

Inside cabin on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera still NOT AS MUCH as my, then wife, and I paid in 1986. An absolute travel bargain, in my opinion. :cool:

Inside cabin on a cruise to the Mexican Riviera still NOT AS MUCH as my, then wife, and I paid in 1986. An absolute travel bargain, in my opinion. :cool:

This is *exactly* the point that everyone is missing. In 1983, the equivalent of a 1A guarantee on a 7-night eastern Caribbean cruise on the TSS Carnivale went for $999/pp. Back then, your airfare was included in the price and you only received a token $100 credit if you chose not to use it, but still, do the math.

Absolutely! GLROUNDS hit it right on the head. The parade of new ships has slowed to a trickle, people are ripe for vacations (whatever the reasons might be), and more folks are rapidly discovering the bargain that cruising is (whether that's good or bad is a matter of opinion - but it's reality right now).

I always use my '95 cruise on the Jubilee (it was 9 years old then) as a reference point - $900 for an inside stateroom (4A upgraded to 4C - big deal) during off-season (mid-November). My '04 Caribbean Princess trip at the same time of year (Cat. JJ - still inside, but on an upper deck) set me back all of $574, and my upcoming 5/8 Miracle cruise (4A guarantee) is $645 (just made final payment).

And people are complaining about the outrageous prices today ... sheeesh!!

Al

In 1990, we paid $2400 on the Celebration in late January for an outside cabin on Empress Deck. That included airfare and we were part of a group which received "better" pricing. In 2003, we paid $2,400 for a balcony cabin on the Triumph in Mid-March and got upgraded to a cat 11 suite. That includes airfare as well. This year, we paid $2,800 for cat 8A balcony with airfare on the Glory for early April. In 2003, we went with cruisquick.com and $999 per person for the cabin included insurance and taxes. This year, we went with Carnival but price didn't include taxes and insurance which is now $258 per couple for the insurance alone!! So, there is the increase in price. Airfare would have been more if we were sailing out of Miami...only sailing into Orlando this year. So..yes, it has gone up but in comparison to 1990, not by much. But, to be honest, cruising is getting expensive but any all-inclusive that I priced was around $3300 per couple and we would have had to drive 4 hours to get our flight...stay overnight, etc. We still would have had to pay for tours, etc.

Archived