purchasing insurance on my own

go to insuremytrip dot com - they have a lot of companies and will present a lot of options for you to consider

My main reason for buying the insurance is medical coverage, especially medevac. I don't care as much about the other aspects (although the additional expense coverage DID come in handy when my departure from Houston after a cruise was significantly delayed by Hurricane Ike in 2008!)

It can be over whelming..but it helps if you check several companies & compare them side by side...I usually choose 3 in the same price range & compare them...for medical coverage if you can find a policy that is the primary provider that is a Plus...means you don't pay first & wait for re-imbursement...

Look at the ratings of the companies. Travelguard & TravelInsured seem to be the 2 highest rated. also b sure to pay attention to the pre existing conditions clause. we just purchased last week & feel a lot more comfortable.

that website is great but overwhelming. Any suggestions for specific insurance companies?

Make sure whatever trip coverage you get is primary not secondary. Secondary makes you use whatever coverage you have first like your own healthcare policy or homeowners. This will also narrow down your search.

I have use squaremouth dot com and have a good experience, easy to use. For my upcoming cruise I chose travelex...travel select plan. This plan had an A+ superior rating. For my family of 6 for 7 days cruise cost was $110.00 and covers preexisting conditions if you book within 14 days of first deposit on cruise.

Make sure whatever trip coverage you get is primary not secondary. Secondary makes you use whatever coverage you have first like your own healthcare policy or homeowners. This will also narrow down your search.

I have use squaremouth dot com and have a good experience, easy to use. For my upcoming cruise I chose travelex...travel select plan. This plan had an A+ superior rating. For my family of 6 for 7 days cruise cost was $110.00 and covers preexisting conditions if you book within 14 days of first deposit on cruise.

Excellent point on primary coverage.

We've used Travelex and always been satisfied.

I think the quote from the TA is rather high and I'm considering trying to get travel insurance on my own. Anyone have experience with this? If so tips would be appreciated. I need to make a decision today.

i have always used insuremytr-p.com if you can figure that out-the pricing and choices have been fabulous for me.

I'll jump on the bandwagon too: I've found InsureMyTrip to be easy to use and much less expensive than the cruise ship's options.

Another thing is that they offer CHOICES. The ship offers one thing: Full coverage. You may or may not care about miss-the-boat insurance. You may or may not already have medical coverage that'll take care of you outside the States. You may want just evacuation coverage. With InsureMyTrip, you can choose just what you want, and that lowers your cost signficantly.

Is there anything wrong with RCL's insurance? On our January 7 day cruise it is $59 a person.

Why would anyone get outside insurance, such as Travelguard? Has anyone had any bad experiences with RCL insurance?

Is there anything wrong with RCL's insurance? On our January 7 day cruise it is $59 a person.

Why would anyone get outside insurance, such as Travelguard? Has anyone had any bad experiences with RCL insurance?

We used Travelex, from insuremytrip ... for the two of us, it was about $15 cheaper, I think.

That's not a huge amount, granted, but if you'll look at RCCL's benefits, and compare them to some other providers, you'll find that other providers can provide much better coverage. While I am blessedly not neurotic about "what if _____________ happpens?", it was nice to know that my DW or myself could be transferred to a stateside hospital and not totally break the bank. It's a simple matter of better coverage for less money. Made pretty good sense to me.

From what I remember, I don't think RCCL has great evacuation coverage. I also don't think they cover pre-existing conditions ( I may be wrong on this). Also, I think there coverage is secondary.

If I am giving incorrect information, someone please correct me.

Used to use insuremytrip BUT Been purchasing from tripinsurancestore last three years BECAUSE they have TONS of information and only recommended about 5-6 companies with proven records. As one who has been BURNED badly by a cruise insurance company (free insurance from a on-line TA), I am extremely cautious and careful. ALSO after carefully research I found out that SECONDARY medical insurance is better than PRIMARY.:eek: I too thought otherwise. BUt go on that site and they explain them both in detail. GOOD LUCK:) OH you can call them and they are so very nice on phone...

Archived