Is FREESTYLE going away with EPIC

JPNNH

Excellent explanation, SeaShark. It's really not a difficult concept to grasp. I don't understand why some folks just don't get it.

I totally agree with you. The fact that some folks don't get it is even more surprising when you consider that NCL did NOT invent the freestyle concept...freestyle is how we live our lives each and every day (wear what I want, eat when & where I want, enjoy whatever enterainment I want, etc)...all NCL did is to implement it on a cruise ship!

This is why I don't post many things here. It's because of people like this.

Of course I know that you have to plan for things, just as at home, but I'm not paying a thousand bucks or more per person at home either. If I am not able to see or do what I want then it's not worth the bother. Freestyle is supposed to make things easier the commercials say. This is not easier. This is stressful. If it's not, why was the NCL employee who was helping me book the shows and make dinner reservations for three people all stressed out when it took 36 minutes to do it?

As for standing in line... why isn't a reservation a reservation on the Epic? When I reserve a seat at a show on land I get my seat. According to the boards if you make a reservation for a show on the Epic you have to get there early to get a seat. That's not a reservation, it's a cattle call.

This is not my understanding at all. Since when, if you have a reservation, do you have to wait on line for just for a seat??? I thought folks wait on line to get, what they consider, the better seats in the venue; not wait on line just to get a seat.

I understand they let folks stand by for any empty seats at the shows, but I certainly would hope they wait until just a few minutes before the show starts, to fill those seats. I would also imagine that if someone has a reservation, they would show up at a respectable time before show time for their reserved seat. I wouldn't expect to show up for a show at showtime and be seated in my reserved seat. That seat would be given to someone in the standby line before then.

I'm not exactly sure how this all works but I will have my answers in a little over a week when I'm on Epic. Can't wait!!!

If you are this angry going into the cruise, I'd advise staying home. Seriously.

You have a chance to see the best entertainment afloat and enjoy the widest choice of dining afloat and you are already complaining because it takes a bit of planning. Many of us have managed to do it with no stress or angst, and the experience was terrific--even, in our case, with a number of maiden cruise glitches.

DH made our reservations online for BMG, Legends, Cirque and six nights of specialty restaurants in less than ten minutes. I fully expect there to be some conflicts once we get on board and read the Freestyle Daily to see what is going on for each day. We will deal with it, make changes if necessary or not make changes if we don't want or need to. What I love about Freestyle, is that is all is our choice what to do, when to do it and with whom to do it with.

I totally agree with you. The fact that some folks don't get it is even more surprising when you consider that NCL did NOT invent the freestyle concept...freestyle is how we live our lives each and every day (wear what I want, eat when & where I want, enjoy whatever entertainment I want, etc)...all NCL did is to implement it on a cruise ship!

Never thought of it that way but, by George...you're right!!!

It was a lot of planning and unneeded stress. :) .

I think you "get" it ! With just two people you certainly don't have to plan everything out ahead of time and get all stressed but I guess due to lack of experience with the concept some people just get themselves unnecessarily worked up with unnecessary over-planning.

On our last NCL cruise (on the Dawn) (But I doubt that things are much different on the Epic), we did not book restaurants ahead of time, just turned up, prepared to be flexible and never had a problem getting a table. (Of course we were just three - I do recommend larger groups make reservations at the Specialty restaurants.)

First and foremost, I believe the people wanting to have FUN manage to have fun whether they're on a cruise or stuck in an elevator. So, your cruise will be whatever YOU make of it.

That being said, this is my first NCL cruise (previously on RCCL, Disney and Carnival) and I have NEVER had to work so hard to plan for a cruise vacation. The concerns about getting to see the shows we wanted and have nice dinner reservations for my husband's birthday were a little stressful. (Thank goodness for Cruise Critic or I would have never known about the 45 day booking window, I feel bad for other passengers who didn't know and may not get to see the shows.)

I'm sure it'll all work out just fine. But, it is a change from the other cruise lines where you don't have to worry about anything but packing!

I realize the dining reservations are OPTIONAL, but if the reviews are true, they are really necessary if you want to have a nice dinner because the "included" restaurant reviews haven't been too good. Fortunately, my family is pretty easy to please so I don't expect it'll be a problem for us. But, for those accustomed to fine dining on cruises and vacations, booking the extra-charge restaurants will likely be a necessity.

I know the NCL cheerleaders will criticize me for this comment. And, the worry-warts who are already expecting a negative cruise will chime in with harsh comments. But, I stand by my initial theory. If you want to have FUN, you will!! If you want to find things to complain about for seven days, you'll find that too! This is "freestyle" after all ... the choice is yours!

You definitely do NOT need to make reservations for your husband's birthday. We had our anniversary in the Manhattan Room and it was quite special. I had gone by the day before to request a chocolate soufflé as I had never had one and, while it was not on the menu, they made it for us. Several times I heard the waiters singing Happy Birthday to some embarassed soul AND the very excellent band will play you a song and wish you a Happy Birthday as well

All our cruises have been on "Free-Style" type ships (NCL, Azamara, Oceanina). Why on earth would would I worry about an advance reservation — for anything on board? We are retired, want to relax. We go to the MDR, look at the menu outside and either go in or try the buffet or Blue Lagoon-type eatery. Point is, it's Free-Style, we go with the flow. Sometime it's scary how mellow I have become.

Archived