Runnin' on Island time- a late 08/11/10 Miracle Review

pickeringprincess

Big Plans for Today!

1) Over to NJ to See Carlo's Bakery from Cake Boss

2) Top of The Rock

3) Museum of Natural History

4) Buy our alcohol and start a-pourin' into the rum runners

5) Promises, Promises!

I woke up at 6am (not typical for a 21 year old, just throwing it out there lol!) with my mom to go to Carlo's bakery. The boys didn't want to go at all, so they just slept in (we probably shouldn't have brought them back treats, but we're nice :p)

It opens at 7 am, and we got there at 7:45am on a Tuesday morning. Let me tell you the line was still down the block. I can't imagine going on like a Saturday afternoon *shudders*. They only let about 60 people in the store at a time, and it is a really, really small store. You are elbow to elbow with everyone in there, and actually getting to look into the dessert windows is an act of pure gymnastics lol :cool:

So here are a couple pictures from there:

2ps1vrc.jpg

The sign!

28hhb3s.jpg

Some delicious goodies!

35iugt3.jpg

Mauro from the show.

OMG My daughter loves Cake Boss. She wants to go there and have Buddy make her a 16th birthday cake. She is 11

Pickeringprincess, great review so far. Thanks for sharing.

Here's a tip for what it's worth: Be proud that you are from Pickering. Don't identify your hometown as Toronto. Otherwise people think Toronto is the only city in Canada ( just like they think we all live in igloos....LOL ). I have found that we all learn so much on CC and on the cruises when we talk about where we're from.....IMHO:rolleyes:

NeedATan,

we ended up getting a box of assorted pastries. The price was actually much, much cheaper than we thought it was going to be. We got a box of 12, and it was 15$. I guess they can afford to have reasonable prices when they have so much traffic!

Funny story, when I mentioned going DBF wanted no part of it, especially the waking up early part. When I got up in the morning, I asked him if he wanted anything, and he said, "bring me whatever. Let's make day 2 of not eating a single vegetable." So my mom and I got an assortment in one large box.

When we got back, I brought the box to our room and woke him up with the smell of fresh baked goodness. I gave him one, and he loved it, and had another. After the 3rd one, I pulled the box away and said "no more, we have to share". And he was horrified. They were really that good :)

Funny story about getting there, though. We asked the doormen at the hotel how much it would be to get to Hoboken from there. They said it should be 40$ (there and back) plus the toll from New York to New Jersey. So about 50$.

We get into the cab to get there, and he explains that he can't pick up anyone from New Jersey, so it would be ideal to bring us back. We ask him if it's ok to wait for half an hour or so while we're in there, and he says ok, we can just do a flat rate. So he doesn't put the meter on.

We head back and are ready to get out of the cab when he says "175$". i was kind of napping in the back seat because I was still tired, but I sprang awake lol. We were talking jovially with the guy the whole trip, but my mom's demeanour immediately changed from nice to livid lol. He said something along the lines of "flate rate in another state is ____ much", which he never told us. (On the back of the seat, there is a flat rate amount, which we assumed was what it was, but that was only for Manhattan, which it didn't state on the paper).

Before the argument got out of hand, Sunny, the absolutely fabulous doorman came in and resolved everything. He said he lived in Hoboken (i don't think that was true, but I'm sure he'd been there) and that it NEVER cost that much and demanded to see the handbook, asking the driver to show him where it showed the NJ flat rate. He couldn't find it immediately, so while he was thumbing through the book Sunny commented that the trip meter wasn't on, and that technically if there wasn't anything displayed (even flat rate wasn't displayed) we didn't have to pay for any of it.

Now I'm not sure how this works in the states, but that got him really upset. He and Sunny were arguing for a bit. Then Sunny just said "They should be paying 50. You can either take it or leave it." So he took it. If Sunny hadn't been there and helped us out, it would have been a very tricky situation considering we know nothing about how the American system works. I'm sorry, but 175$ for an 8 minute ride? Even if we don't know the rules that still sounds wrong.

So in short, Sunny saved the day, and we gave him a couple pastries and a really nice tip and all was well with the world again lol. Except we should have gotten more pastries :(

Here are some more pictures from Carlo's:

Great Review so far!!

I definitely want to hear details about the success/failure of your smuggling. We've never once had problems with our Rum Runners (and we never bother to hide them in our suitcase - just toss them in and zip it up!) but I've been seeing a lot on Cruise Critic recently about them being caught and then confiscated!! AHH.. my bar bill will be SO MUCH HIGHER!

we stayed up pretty late that night. I took DBF to the piano bar, which is usually my favourite place to go. by the end of the cruise our alcohol bill ended up being about 50$, which is next to nothing thanks to Rum Runners lol :D

SPEAKING OF WHICH!!!

Smuggling story!

So as you know, my boob alcohol made it over without a hitch. It was asked up there somewhere, but I don't have a picture of it. I will take one during the week though and share my other successful experiences with it lol.

Boarding the Miracle, we brought on 4 bottles of red wine (DD, M, BF, and I) The Wine Rack (25 ounces/ .75 litres roughly) filled with Vodka, two 32 ounce (almost a litre) rum runners of Jack Daniels, another 32 of Vodka, and two 16 ounces (about half a litre) of Tequila. There was mix in the smaller ones, and the other large one was empty so we could have one to refill in port.

My parents would have no part (at first lol) of hiding alcohol in their bags, so I put all of it in my one suitcase LOL. it must have weighed as much as an elephant.

So on the first night... everyone gets their suitcases on time except me. Not gonna lie, I definitely thought I was going to have to go the naughty room :eek:. But sure enough, just as we came back from grabbing some food, my suitcase was waiting for us, untouched, and full of precious alcohol lol :p.

Made it through without a hitch! And my parents definitely changed their minds and "borrowed" my rum runners to try out lol

I have to say that I drank so much miracle lemonade/vodka that I am going to stay away from that for quite a while. I miss the fruit punch, it was so good!

So after the piano bar, and balcony christening LMAO we went to bed, and I woke up for sunrise in HMC

2quoh7d.jpg

2qbrord.jpg

35a93q0.jpg

after taking a couple pictures, I went back to bed for a bit. we had a big day ahead full of tanning, horseback riding and parasailing. no need to be awake at 6:30 lol.

jryb1v.jpg

ahhh, 11:30 and bright outside lol. much better.

34srwbb.jpg

rksgmf.jpg

time for another nap! being at the beach really takes it out of you lol!

Thanks for sharing your cruise with us. We did this same cruise last May and we're doing a repeat NEXT May. ;) It will be our 3rd cruise on the Miracle. Only difference is that it takes us 20 minutes to get to the cruise terminal! :cool:

Archived