Why Doesn't Ocenaia Include Gratuity

quivet c

I have been with Oceania and multiple experiences in Polo have been good not great and I prefer Prime C (personal taste). When sailing with Oceania Toscana is our favorite specialty restaurant. We will let you know if our opinion changes when we sail with Oceania in late December and if the Polo Grill has gotten any better.

I think it depends on who is doing the cooking that cruise

We have had excellent food in Polo one cruise & just so so on another

Same with Toscana

Last cruise the Terrace had great food ..but the GDR was not so good

even though they serve basically the same menu items somehow the they were cooked differently

Go figure!!

I think it depends on who is doing the cooking that cruise

We have had excellent food in Polo one cruise & just so so on another

Same with Toscana

Last cruise the Terrace had great food ..but the GDR was not so good

even though they serve basically the same menu items somehow the they were cooked differently

Go figure!!

just posted a reply but where it went I know not.

I totally agree with you Lyn as we have had the same experience. Hope we get WOWED by Marina

For Marina, specialty restaurant reservations may be made anytime regardless of category booked provided the booking is paid in full.

Payment in full is a part of the necessary but not sufficient criteria that must be met in order to make reservations, from what I copied on the Oceania website. It is important to note the different rules per cabin category, because it demonstrates a major reason why the upper level categories are more in demand and thus command higher prices.

I just checked, and here is how it is still listed (in the FAQ) on Oceania's website:

RESERVATION RULES

When to make your reservations:

Your booking must be paid in full.

The online dining reservation system closes 14 days prior to your sailing's embarkation date.

Owner's and Vista Suite can make reservations 90 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Penthouse Suite can make reservations 75 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Concierge Level Veranda staterooms can make reservations 60 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom can make reservations 45 days to 15 days prior to embarkation.

Number of reservations:

Owner's Suite, Vista Suite, Penthouse Suite and Concierge Level Veranda

10-17 Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 3 reservations at each restaurant

Veranda, Ocean View and Inside Stateroom

10-17 Sailing Days: 1 reservation at each restaurant

18+ Sailing Days: 2 reservations at each restaurant

Number of guests per table:

All reservations have a maximum of 8 guests per table.

I think the rules are fair and am looking forward to dining in the specialty restaurants as much as our cabin level allows, and if our waitlist for a PH materializes, then also dining in our suite.

=============

If the rules for Marina are different, and everybody can book reservations as soon as paid in full, then there is much less incentive to book premium cabins.

We were told that the rules I listed above would be in effect on Marina, too (with additional cabin categories named), but if not, well, that is disappointing to us.

The website listing obviously does not apply to Marina. I checked with O and RickyCruz5 is correct. I was totally shocked to hear that PH gets the same allowance as an inside cabin. And it makes no difference how long the voyage is.

The website listing obviously does not apply to Marina. I checked with O and RickyCruz5 is correct. I was totally shocked to hear that PH gets the same allowance as an inside cabin. And it makes no difference how long the voyage is.

The rules are probably a work in progress and may change by the time the Marina sails

I have made final payment for the Marina's maiden voyage.

The only restaurants available for me to reserve are Polo and Toscana. There is no mention of Jacques or the Red Ginger but it does show that we have 4 reservations available. FWIW we are in a PH.

I do wish I had known about the new restrictions earlier. Not sure if I would have bumped up a grade but I would have liked to have had complete information.

It would appear that the programmers have not yet figured out a way to differentiate the Marina amenities from the R ships ones.

When you look at the Onboard options of your booking they are still showing cabanas available on deck 11 for Marina sailings

There is no notation that these are only on the R ships.

The restaurant reservations rules are still the same as they were ..no new restaurants added or new limitation rules for the Marina.

The programmers need to find a way to separate the 2 classes of ships & their amenities to be more user friendly

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

It would appear that the programmers have not yet figured out a way to differentiate the Marina amenities from the R ships ones.

Programmers design programs based on criteria given them from their Lead Analysts who have worked with the "users" (e.g. "THE SUITS" or those who report to "THE SUITS"), and having been a member of each of those categories, I can say with some authority and with even more compassion, let's please not blame the actual programmers....yet. ;)

But, yes, someone has apparently not figured out how to differentiate the amenities between ships, and I find it most disconcerting.

Darn it all, I just realized I contributed my comments to the "Why doesn't Oceania include grautuities?" thread just as so many of us here did.

I think it would be helpful for all our comments about the dining reservations to be moved to a thread where Fjdelrio and others could find it more easily.

The programmers need to find a way to separate the 2 classes of ships & their amenities to be more user friendly

Just my 2 cents

Lyn

Lyn, it would appear that way.

But don't you think everyone has had enough notice and time to fix this?

How long have we been talking about the Marina on these boards?

The final payments for the inaugural are due now, so the dinning situation should have been addressed long before the final payments are due (including on their website).

These are my 2 cents

Paul

PS I agree with O&R to move this discussion to a separate thread. Appologies to OP for OT discussion.

I agree with O&R to move this discussion to a separate thread. Appologies to OP for OT discussion.

Please start a new thread, and I will start composing some of my comments now. We need to get the eye of FDR and his subordinates. As you mentioned, time is running out for final payment to be made.

Programmers design programs based on criteria given them from their Lead Analysts who have worked with the "users" (e.g. "THE SUITS" or those who report to "THE SUITS"), and having been a member of each of those categories, I can say with some authority and with even more compassion, let's please not blame the actual programmers....yet. ;)

But, yes, someone has apparently not figured out how to differentiate the amenities between ships, and I find it most disconcerting.

Programmer could advise those that know not how thing work & how to accomplish the transition to the difference in the ships classes. :D

Will wait for the new thread for further comment

I sent a request to Host Dan to move the Marina dinning discussion to a separate thread so that people do not have to repost their opinions.

Hello Paul !

Host Dan is not a moderator on this Board. Myself (Host Andy) and Host Tyler are moderators of the Oceania Forum. If you wish to start another thread, and let me know which posts to move, I will be happy to do so. Thank you.

Hello Paul !

Host Dan is not a moderator on this Board. Myself (Host Andy) and Host Tyler are moderators of the Oceania Forum. If you wish to start another thread, and let me know which posts to move, I will be happy to do so. Thank you.

Sorry about that Host Andy - I guess I have been active on Host Dan's boards lately.

If others continue to post about the specialty reservations on Marina here, I will start a new thread and inform you.

My appologies to you again.

Paul

Sorry about that Host Andy - I guess I have been active on Host Dan's boards lately.

If others continue to post about the specialty reservations on Marina here, I will start a new thread and inform you.

My appologies to you again.

Paul

This issue is of real concern to me, and I was hoping that there would be a new thread on it already. Sorry that's so short, but I have to get offline very soon.

Hello Paul !

Please move all the posts with regards to Specialty Dining Reservations on the Marina.

You could start the thread with the following post in the "Inaugural Passage" roll call thread made by lovetocruise16, entitled "Marina Dining Reservations":

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=26605279&postcount=332

• 2 months later...

Just got off the Regatta last week and again I made the suggestion that Oceania include gratuities in cruise fares. It drives me nuts that at the end of my cruise I end up seeing an extra $250+ on my expense account and that I have to pay 18% per drink when the gratuity does not go directly to the bar staff. Please Oceania build it into the price, that said we will continue to tip our favorite workers extra should we choose to do so.

Hi

We have never had to pay gratutities outside our cruise fares except for Princess Cruise Line(the only one we will not use again). We actually pay our favourite staff direct when we disembark.

There seems to be some very different fare structures offered in the market today.

Hi

We have never had to pay gratutities outside our cruise fares except for Princess Cruise Line(the only one we will not use again). We actually pay our favourite staff direct when we disembark.

There seems to be some very different fare structures offered in the market today.

Usually for Aussies & Brits the gratuities are included in the fare structure

You need to check with the TA or booking agent

They do the booking differently in the UK & Downunder ;)

Our TA provides the gratuities so no worries here either ;)

Lyn

Archived