Why Doesn't Ocenaia Include Gratuity

quivet c

Why does Oceania not include all gratuity in cruise fares? Every other cruise line in their price range does to the best of my knowledge. I also hate that Oceania charges an extra 18% on all drinks, we recently sailed with Azamara and they included all gratuities in the fare which was great (FYI the service did not suffer at all and we always tip extra for our favorite employees). They really need to change this policy given the prices they charge for their cruises even if it means charging an extra hundred bucks upfront.

They really need to change this policy given the prices they charge for their cruises even if it means charging an extra hundred bucks upfront.

I think it would be a lot more than $100 up front for any cruise on Oceania ;)

Oceania's sister cruise line, Regent Seven Seas, is a luxury all-inclusive line that includes gratuities, all adult beverages (open bar) and all excursions, among other things. Oceania is considered a Deluxe cruise line, and is essentially the ala carte version of Regent, wherein gratuities, adult beverages, excursions, self service laundry and such are paid separately from the cruise fare.

Azamara was begun as an attempt to copy the success of Oceania, using the same ships, virtually all the same policies and even some of the Oceania staff. According to most reports, they never quite succeeded in copying Oceania completely, and therefore had to offer much lower fares. Recent changes at Azamara, and changes in their management, have included such things are wine poured at lunch and dinner, a change in their name, and other attempts to differentiate themselves from Oceania. While I have not yet sailed Azamara Club and can make no personal comparisons, some of the most recent reviews say that Azamara has largely succeeded at improving some of the things that were lacking.

Apparently, including gratuities has been added to the list of changes. Of course, they have also raised their fares to be in the same range as Oceania, so things like included wine and included gratuities are still a means of lowering the bottom line price compared to Oceania. I see they are also offering $500 per stateroom on board credit, which is yet another way to lower the overall fare to entice passengers.

Some interpret this as meaning that Azamara has not yet caught up with Oceania. I have no personal opinion about Azamara Club Cruises, but I have not yet been tempted to give up Oceania.

Frankly, Oceania has never really cared what Azamara has done, as they have been spectacularly successful in setting their own course.

Why does Oceania not include all gratuity in cruise fares? Every other cruise line in their price range does to the best of my knowledge. I also hate that Oceania charges an extra 18% on all drinks, we recently sailed with Azamara and they included all gratuities in the fare which was great (FYI the service did not suffer at all and we always tip extra for our favorite employees). They really need to change this policy given the prices they charge for their cruises even if it means charging an extra hundred bucks upfront.

We've sailed on Azamara twice, although before the changes. One other difference I am noting as we head off on our first Oceania cruise are the outrageous charges for internet packages. On our Azamara cruises (and on HAL too) we paid have that amount and, if forum postings area accurate, got much better internet service.

We've sailed on Azamara twice, although before the changes. One other difference I am noting as we head off on our first Oceania cruise are the outrageous charges for internet packages. On our Azamara cruises (and on HAL too) we paid have that amount and, if forum postings area accurate, got much better internet service.

Oceania and internet are like Elizabeth Taylor and marriage - it is not what you expected, and it is expensive. Other than that it's a beautiful experience. There are moments in life that you really need to not be on line.

Shop your reservation around.... You can get gratuities included with the right TA. We always do and for long cruises in a suite this can be a very nice perk.:)

Shop your reservation around.... You can get gratuities included with the right TA. We always do and for long cruises in a suite this can be a very nice perk.:)

I concur and have not paid out of pocket for gratuities.:D

There are moments in life that you really need to not be on line.

That may be true for yourself but it is not a universal truth.

Many people DO need to be online frequently for any number of reasons.

It should not be a problem and it is an issue that Oceania needs to address.

Sorry for the OT "rant" - this issue is discussed on a separate thread.

Oceania and internet are like Elizabeth Taylor and marriage - it is not what you expected, and it is expensive. Other than that it's a beautiful experience. There are moments in life that you really need to not be on line.

Moments maybe but an entire cruise impossible!;)

Orchestrapal & Tanny18 are right on. I changed TAs (thanks Doris) and got a slew of benefits.

Then too, O will occasionally add there own perks. DW & I are on the 08/26/2011 sailing to Alaska round trip out of SF. Probably due to the competition, we got an additional $1k off the cruise fare and $1K in OBC. That together with the $200 from O (done 5 sailings to date) will take care of our bar bill and DW's salon activities.

Life is good.

The included gratuities usually come from a TA who does enough volume to get a group deal from O. Our does -- as apparently do many others.

If you put out your cruise for bids, on a website I am not allowed to mention or even hint at, you will probably find a deal with included gratuities.

The included gratuities usually come from a TA who does enough volume to get a group deal from O. Our does -- as apparently do many others.

If you put out your cruise for bids, on a website I am not allowed to mention or even hint at, you will probably find a deal with included gratuities.

I recently tested the website you can't mention and found that almost every one of the agencies that replied had very questionable reviews online. I also found that they really didn't understand the differences in categories and was bidding a lower category at the same price and even more than a higher category. I really expect a TA to know more about it than I do. If not then I don't need them.

The prices were all over the place, the best ones were with the agencies that had the worst reviews. I think I can find someone else that I would be more comfortable with for booking.

Other than getting quotes I've never used them. I'm sure like anything else it works fine many times. I didn't get a good feeling about it.

I recently tested the website you can't mention and found that almost every one of the agencies that replied had very questionable reviews online. I also found that they really didn't understand the differences in categories and was bidding a lower category at the same price and even more than a higher category. I really expect a TA to know more about it than I do. If not then I don't need them.

The prices were all over the place, the best ones were with the agencies that had the worst reviews. I think I can find someone else that I would be more comfortable with for booking.

Other than getting quotes I've never used them. I'm sure like anything else it works fine many times. I didn't get a good feeling about it.

Stick with a land-based TA that specializes in Oceania and you'll get a knowledgeable agent.:)

I found my fabulous TA through the bidding site . . . and I am dealing with the owner of a very big cruise travel company which of course shall remain unnamed.

That site can still be useful to see what others are offering and you can bring that information to a TA you trust.

Crystal doesn't include gratuities in their fares and they are the top rated cruise line. Oceania was modeled after Crystal with John Waters going from one to the other so I would think that is one of the things modeled.

Some people think you get better service when someone actually wants a good tip vs. getting an automatic tip.

Crystal doesn't include gratuities in their fares and they are the top rated cruise line. Oceania was modeled after Crystal with John Waters going from one to the other so I would think that is one of the things modeled.

Joe Watters was one of the founders of Oceania along with Frank Del Rio

I must be lucky although I am and have been loyal to my TA for ages. I have never paid for gratuities if Oceania did offer them as a perk to Booking. On my Amazon trip last year, I received $800.00 in OBC from my TA in addition to gratuities she also provided.

Some people think you get better service when someone actually wants a good tip vs. getting an automatic tip.

If you want a cruise line that only offers two, assigned seatings and formal nights, then you can't beat Crystal. After 8 cruises we decided that we had had enough of that nonsense even with a window table for two.

O is exactly what we want - eat when you want and with whom, country club casual and very, very little smoking! Regarding the last entry, can't say that about Crystal.

If you want a cruise line that only offers two, assigned seatings and formal nights, then you can't beat Crystal. After 8 cruises we decided that we had had enough of that nonsense even with a window table for two.

O is exactly what we want - eat when you want and with whom, country club casual and very, very little smoking! Regarding the last entry, can't say that about Crystal.

We have both Crystal and Oceania cruises booked (new to Oceania). Aside from the country club casual, unassigned seating and more restrictive smoking policies, all of which are a big draw for us toward Oceania, could you tell me honestly if you find the Oceania food as good as Crystal and whether you ever miss the Crystal crew or the design of the Crystal ships?

I must be lucky although I am and have been loyal to my TA for ages. I have never paid for gratuities if Oceania did offer them as a perk to Booking. On my Amazon trip last year, I received $800.00 in OBC from my TA in addition to gratuities she also provided.

Are you allowed to say how far (in mileage) away from your TA that you live?

P.S. Is that $800 OBC per person or per stateroom?

Thank you, but may I ask if you got prepaid gratuities PLUS the $800 ($400pp) OBC and for what length cruise is this?

The perquisites aren't necessarily associated with the length (or price) of the cruise, although it stands to reason that the agent has more wiggle room on a more expensive trip. :rolleyes:

Agencies are often awarded "funny money" to pass along to their preferred clients.

Sometimes this is credited to passengers as an incentive when they make new bookings, other times it goes to valued long time clients as a reward of sorts.

In any case, one cannot comparison shop, or demand that an agent match such an offer in order to secure ones business, so it is rather a moot point.

HAL doesn't charge up front and neither does X (unless you do any time dining).

Kirk

I am guessing you are talking about Gratuities

Oceania does not charge upfront either they are added on the last night

(some exceptions apply)

Lyn

We returned from an "O" cruise a couple of weeks ago and Gratuities were included. But the actual cost/charge for them was kept separate and shown clearly on our invoice and final bill.

It was one of the offers for early booking along with Included Airfare and an OBC.

Even if not "Included" we always knew the amount which would be automatically billed were informed we could have decreased or increased the amount if it was our desire.

Of course.... the crew was so super, we absolutely felt they were worth more than the standard included gratuity and gave them additional amounts.

But the point is, regardless of it being included or not, we always knew the amount and so could do comparison shopping with no difficulty.

Archived