dining options - question haven't seen

Ellen Dio

Looks like I could still book the late seating for dining on the trip we are considering in December. I do enjoy having the same wait staff and getting to know table mates - however there are nights when I feel rushed (particularly if we've been on an excursion) which makes the idea of dining (almost) whenever we choose seem appealing to me. If we "booked" for the Main Dining late seating - how "wrong" would it be (in whatever way it could be wrong - unfair to other table mates, confusing for the dining staff??) if on a couple of nights we ended up not going to our assigned table but showing up later and just letting them sit us wherever?

That's not an option. You can't switch back and forth between fixed and open seating.

Remember they ask for your cabin number when seating you for open dining so they know if you actually selected it. On our last cruise something kind of like this happened when large numbers of Spaniards thought the fixed seating times were suggestions not actual times they must show up. Since they had missed their fixed seating they tried to get into the any time dining, it was not pretty as there were probably 100 people involved. After the first night it settled down.

Kirk

If you want to dine at at later time, you'll need to dine in the Lido, the PG/Tamarind/Canneletto, or do room service. It would be polite to let your table mates/dining steward know ahead of time so dinner service isn't held up for others as they wait for you.

We did our first open seating dining on the Zaandam in April this year and worked out just fine. However we are on the Noordam in two weeks with open seating again. The fact that this is a bigger ship and more passengers, will the experience be the same is our concern. Will it be harder to get reservations?

Noordam in two weeks ... Will it be harder to get reservations?
It could be harder to get reservations if you want a table for 2 because the Noordam will only take reservations for half of them, and hold the rest for walk-ins. We generally eat before 6:30p, and never had to wait for a 2-top as walk-ins on the Noordam on 2 cruises. Once we were seated at a 4-top and the extra place settings were picked up, and once when we arrived around 6:00p we were taken up the stairs to a 2-top in the Fixed seating.

It could be harder to get reservations if you want a table for 2 because the Noordam will only take reservations for half of them, and hold the rest for walk-ins. We generally eat before 6:30p, and never had to wait for a 2-top as walk-ins on the Noordam on 2 cruises. Once we were seated at a 4-top and the extra place settings were picked up, and once when we arrived around 6:00p we were taken up the stairs to a 2-top in the Fixed seating.

Hi jtl513 - Very confused about AWYWD and hope you or other CC members can help. We are a party of 4 - late fixed dining (8pm) reserved for December 14 day NA cruise. We would like to try the AWYWD. If we change our dining status - it appears from what I am reading we cannot keep our fixed dining option - is that correct? For example our perfect dining time would be 7pm? Is there a way to accomplish this? Also with the AWYWD - do they seat you upstairs or downstairs. Thank you in advance for your kind reply.

Hi jtl513 - Very confused about AWYWD and hope you or other CC members can help. We are a party of 4 - late fixed dining (8pm) reserved for December 14 day NA cruise. We would like to try the AWYWD.
:confused: You currently have "As You Wish Dining", as does every other passenger. You have the Fixed seating option of it. If your perfect dining time is 7 p.m., you would need to change to the Open Seating option.

If you remain in Fixed Seating, you will be seated on the upper level in the MDR. If you switch to Open Seating, you will (almost always) be seated on the lower level. With AYWD you can also be seated in a specialty restaurant (i.e. Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, Canneletto), Lido, have room service - wherever you wish (and have reservations if needed).

We always have early [fixed] seating.

On our last cruise we informed our server that we were taking an excursion the next day that would get us back late, and we would be unable to get to the MDR on time. We told him we'd be dining in the Lido that evening.

Our server told us not to worry, to come to our table in the MDR anyway - so we did. He said he would take care of the arrangements.

We weren't terribly late, we probably arrived around 6:15.

Of course it was a table of 4, and we were cruising together, so we did not inconvenience any tablemates.

We would have been perfectly happy dining in the Lido, but our server was insistent we come to the MDR!

Hi jtl513 - Very confused about AWYWD and hope you or other CC members can help. We are a party of 4 - late fixed dining (8pm) reserved for December 14 day NA cruise. We would like to try the AWYWD. If we change our dining status - it appears from what I am reading we cannot keep our fixed dining option - is that correct? For example our perfect dining time would be 7pm? Is there a way to accomplish this? Also with the AWYWD - do they seat you upstairs or downstairs. Thank you in advance for your kind reply.
As Mary Ellen said, you (and everyone else) already have As You Wish Dining, because the term encompasses everything. Within AYWD you can have Fixed seating at 5:45 or 8:00 upstairs, or Open from 5:15 to 9:00 downstairs. I suggest that if your ideal dining time is 7:00p you should switch to Open, then show up each night around 6:45, pick up a pager, and go to the Explorers Louge to wait for your table. The dining room will not take Open reservations for this peak time.

On our last cruise we informed our server that we were taking an excursion the next day that would get us back late, and we would be unable to get to the MDR on time. We told him we'd be dining in the Lido that evening.
I have also heard of cases where a HAL (not private) excursion returned late and people have been taken into Open seating rather than sent to the Lido.

Thank you jtl513 you just answered my next question. We like to eat around 7:30 and we made reservations on the Zaandam usually for three days in advance and got that time. Hope we can do it again on the Noordam.

Once again the confusion with AYWD. :)

I believe the term was introduced at the same time as open dining - which is one reason for the confusion. And of course the idea that "as you wish" implies that you dine whenever you want ... more so than "any venue you choose."

I understand why someone new to HAL would get confused.

I have also heard of cases where a HAL (not private) excursion returned late and people have been taken into Open seating rather than sent to the Lido.

Our server never asked if our excursion was through HAL or private. He just insisted we eat in the MDR and said he would be happy to make arrangements with the "higher ups" regarding our late arrival.

And of course the idea that "as you wish" implies that you dine whenever you want ... more so than "any venue you choose."
To me the phrase is pretty clear - You can dine as YOU Wish - be it open seating, or fixed, or casual in the Lido, in your robe in your cabin.... It isn't JUST those who are dining in open seating who are dining as they wish. ;)

Well, I'm a reasonably intelligent person and have been sailing on HAL for several years ... and when I first heard the phrase, I interpreted it to mean open seating.

Since HAL did not use the term AYWD dining before -- though it still offered choices such as the MDR, Lido, PG and room service -- I found the introduction of the term coinciding with open seating to be the source of confusion.

I now understand what AYWD means - having seen it pointed out over and over to those who, like I, confused the term with open seating.

But is mere misinterpretation, nothing more insidious than that, and it does not warrant such harsh reactions.

Since when is merely trying to clear up a misinterpretation a "harsh reaction"? :confused: Attacking someone trying help someone clear up a misinterpretation is a harsh reaction.

To help those who are confused about AYWD, here is what HAL says:

As You Wish® dining on all cruises

From a festive five-course affair to a quick, casual dinner for two, our As You Wish® dining lets you choose the venues and style that suit you.

The elegant main Dining Room

* Luxurious Dining Room, graced with fine art and antiques

* Sophisticated Rosenthal china and crisp white table linens

* Five-course menus with offerings from classic preparations regionally inspired cuisine to vegetarian options

* Your choice of traditional pre-set seating and dining times or a flexible open schedule

The Pinnacle Grill experience

* Intimate dining featuring Sterling Silver Beef® and fresh seafood

* Luxurious appointments including Bvlgari® china, Riedel® stemware and Frette® linens

* Extensive wine list featuring many selections rated “Excellent” by Wine Spectator

Other delightful ways to dine

* Fresh, cooked-to-order specialties in the Lido Restaurant for breakfast and lunch

* Made-to-order dinner entrees and tableside waiter service in the Lido Restaurant for dinner

* Complimentary 24-hour in-room dining

* The Terrace Grill on deck

* Late-night snack; Chocolate Dessert Extravaganza

* Explorations Café featuring pastries and espresso drinks

* Daily Afternoon Tea service, elevated to Royal Dutch High Tea once per cruise

A master staff and crew

* Enhanced menu design under the direction of Master Chef Rudi Sodamin

* Executive chefs inducted into the prestigious Confrerie de la Chaine des Rotisseurs, an international food and wine society

Signature touches

* Ice cream bar featuring complimentary treats

* Hot hors d’oeuvres during cocktail hour.

To me the phrase is pretty clear - You can dine as YOU Wish - be it open seating, or fixed, or casual in the Lido, in your robe in your cabin.... It isn't JUST those who are dining in open seating who are dining as they wish. ;)

Whether it's what you intended or not this comes off as a bit snarky. It implies that if it isn't "pretty clear" to those other than yourself, then they are somehow less bright as they fail to see the obvious.

The fact that you, me, jtl and others are constantly correcting this misconception, speaks to how unobvious it must be. Imagine how confusing it might be to those who have never set foot on a cruise ship or found this little piece of heaven on the internet ;)

Whether it's what you intended or not this comes off as a bit snarky. It implies that if it isn't "pretty clear" to those other than yourself, then they are somehow less bright as they fail to see the obvious.

The fact that you, me, jtl and others are constantly correcting this misconception, speaks to how unobvious it must be. Imagine how confusing it might be to those who have never set foot on a cruise ship or found this little piece of heaven on the internet ;)

Well said.

Hi Mary Ellen - thanks for your and everyone else's response. Never mind....:-) - guess we will just stick with 8pm fixed - this all seems to be a bit too complicated for me - we did dine in Lido once and it is just not our liking as we prefer to "dress" for dinner. We have been on 9 HAL cruises and on the last one we did see folks waiting in line for a table,- just want to avoid any hassle. After reading all posts its probably best for us to stick with the/our "norm." Again thanks everyone!

Happy Sails!!

Archived