To take Euros or wait until we get there

USD. I'm not sure about Brilliance or Independence, which are in Europe year round and are owned by a different subsidiary.

Independence definitely uses USD on board (sailed on her last year and will be again next May). It is made very clear to us Brits that all charges are in USD just in case we think it will be either sterling or euros;).

Thanks everyone for your information.

I am curious as to the limit the ATM machine will let you take out of it. We have several tours that will be around 250 Euro plus our tip and meal, so thinking we will need 300 Euro/Euros ;) in a few of our ports. Rome, Naples and Florence being the most expensive.

So with that in mind have you run into a cap issue? I know that the limit can depend on what your limit is on the card. Just wondering if it restricts me to a limit on the machine. I never use my debit card as a ATM here in the states. I put everything on credit card or use the debit like a check at Sams Club.

Thanks for the tips about alerting the bank about our place of travel. I had that problem on one of our first cruises, so know that is great information.

Thanks everyone for your information.

I am curious as to the limit the ATM machine will let you take out of it. We have several tours that will be around 250 Euro plus our tip and meal, so thinking we will need 300 Euro/Euros ;) in a few of our ports. Rome, Naples and Florence being the most expensive.

So with that in mind have you run into a cap issue? I know that the limit can depend on what your limit is on the card. Just wondering if it restricts me to a limit on the machine. I never use my debit card as a ATM here in the states. I put everything on credit card or use the debit like a check at Sams Club.

Thanks for the tips about alerting the bank about our place of travel. I had that problem on one of our first cruises, so know that is great information.

Yes, there will be a limit on the machine. I remember the limit usually being 300euro per transaction, but it varies. We asked at our bank, before we left, about using our debit cards in Europe and I found out that we would not be charged ATM fees on either end so check that as well.

ATM's are really easy to use in Europe. We did a land tour of Eastern Europe this year and our son (based on his own experience there) convinced us to take only a small amount of Euro to start with and just get what we needed as we go. He was right, it was simple, had no problems at all. (By the way, we were informed that only chip cards with 4 digit PIN's can be used in the ATM's in Europe. This is what we have, and it worked perfectly.)

Suzanne

(By the way, we were informed that only chip cards with 4 digit PIN's can be used in the ATM's in Europe. This is what we have, and it worked perfectly.)

Suzanne

Suzanne, just a bit of a clarification in that there are ATMs that will take a card with only the magnetic strip. I know that because I used mine in March of this year....and plan on using it again soon.

but of more interest to me is WHERE did you get an ATM card with a chip??? Through a US bank? I've been checking with banks and not only can't I find one that provides a chip and pin card, most of the employees don't have a clue what I am talking about! I would LOVE to get my hands on one.

I don't recall seeing a ATM at Barcelona airport but they are many on the rambala's.

Also there is a small money change in the terminal2 part of the airport or the grotty end as my mum calls it. I recall last year they did a goodish rate compared to some of the store in some of the ports of call.

Always take some Euros with you, I always take at least 500 to start, then with out a doubt the ATM card, no problems most of the time, and then as mentioned above a Capitol one CC, no foreign currency conversions fees(yet)

and at least one other CC, and each of us has a different card to make sure we do not have a problem getting cash if stolen.

I do not agree with the others above, DO NOT RELY on Travelers Checks, maybe in the airport no problem, but in the city, no one wants them or will take them even banks, I know this from experience.

One thing, the European CC use a microchip, and most US do not I have heard of problems using the US cards, mostly from businesses that do not know how to charge with them.

I found this article quite interesting, particularly the last paragraph. Ever since returning to the U.S. in March, and having a problem with ATMs in Belgium (I finally did find one that worked), I have been searching for a chip and pin card. No luck.

So, unlike Mr. Steves, I WILL be taking traveler's checks on my next trip. I don't expect to use them but I feel I need them in case I run low on cash and cannot find an ATM that works with my card.

I've been there....don't want to be there again.

I don't recall seeing a ATM at Barcelona airport but they are many on the rambala's.

Also there is a small money change in the terminal2 part of the airport or the grotty end as my mum calls it. I recall last year they did a goodish rate compared to some of the store in some of the ports of call.

There is definitely at least one because I used it (I used the Continental terminal, if that makes a difference).

A related question/topic:

My fiance and I will be taking our first RCCL cruise in just a few weeks. We will be sailing on the Splendour in the Mediterranean for our honeymoon. We are currently working out the whole how many Euros to take with us, do we use the debit or credit card(s) questions as well.

We're still deciding which cards to take/use, based on what we find out about fees, ease of use etc. from the issuing company. However, before we make final decisions I would like to have all of our options on the table.

So my main question is....Does RCCL allow you to cash traveler's checks at the Purser's Desk? We did this on our Carnival cruises and it worked out fantastically. I know we would have to pay whatever the ship's going exchange rate is to convert the USD traveler's checks to Euro, but do they cash traveler's checks and if so, do they also charge an additional fee to cash them?

ATM's are really easy to use in Europe. We did a land tour of Eastern Europe this year and our son (based on his own experience there) convinced us to take only a small amount of Euro to start with and just get what we needed as we go. He was right, it was simple, had no problems at all. (By the way, we were informed that only chip cards with 4 digit PIN's can be used in the ATM's in Europe. This is what we have, and it worked perfectly.)

Suzanne

The US banking industry seems to think that their clients don't travel internationally, and (to my knowledge), none of them offers a chip card. We were able to use our magnetic strip card in 2009, but I think that as of 2012 we won't be able to do so. So I'm hoping I can convince a Canadian bank to issue me a card - perhaps a US subsidiary of a Canadian bank will do it. Otherwise I guess we'll have to go back to travellers' checks, since the credit cards won't work, either.:mad:

Just so you know, it's NOT "EUROS", it's Euro

Local ATM is your best bet. They're everywhere, and will work with your card as long as you have a 4 digit PIN number.

Have a great trip!

Contrary to what Andrzej5914 said it is Euro's , I would buy them now and take them with you, most of the ATM in Europe charge you for for the transaction.

A related question/topic:

My fiance and I will be taking our first RCCL cruise in just a few weeks. We will be sailing on the Splendour in the Mediterranean for our honeymoon. We are currently working out the whole how many Euros to take with us, do we use the debit or credit card(s) questions as well.

We're still deciding which cards to take/use, based on what we find out about fees, ease of use etc. from the issuing company. However, before we make final decisions I would like to have all of our options on the table.

So my main question is....Does RCCL allow you to cash traveler's checks at the Purser's Desk? We did this on our Carnival cruises and it worked out fantastically. I know we would have to pay whatever the ship's going exchange rate is to convert the USD traveler's checks to Euro, but do they cash traveler's checks and if so, do they also charge an additional fee to cash them?

I am pretty sure they do cash travelers checks, and will cash a personal check up to $200. Just in case, I would call RCCL to confirm. The exchange rate to euros is horrible onboard. Best to use ATM debit card, but maybe have some traveler checks as back up.

Possessive euro's?

Forgive the poster. He is from the UK.

a) they may charge them extra fees on mainland Europe since the United Kingdom decided not to join

b) The plural version depends on in which country you are in. In Germany Euro and Cent is used in singular and plural when assigned with a number but when counting the plural is Euros and Cents.

In France it is Euros and Cents. In Hungary it is Euro.

It really is country specific and how each associates plural. Some countries don't even have plurals in their language.

Sounds weird? Not really. Just look at "der, die, das" (German), "le, la" (French) and "the" (English). It shows you that some languages do not provide what other languages do.:)

I am pretty sure they do cash travelers checks, and will cash a personal check up to $200. Just in case, I would call RCCL to confirm. The exchange rate to euros is horrible onboard. Best to use ATM debit card, but maybe have some traveler checks as back up.

That's sort of what I was thinking, was just to have some traveler's checks as a backup. Thanks for the input!

In the last 11 years business travel and personal travel took me to ~60 countries. NOT once had I thought of exchanging currency ahead of time. Always did it through a local ATM machine once I arrived and never had a problem. Best exchange rates.

I used an ATM machine in Kabul, Afghanistan at the run down airport. No problem.

South America, Asia, Africa, South Pacific and Europe. Never ran into any problems. NEVER!

Just relax folks. No need to pay extra for the "convenience" or "just in case"

Archived