Ship deck height in relation to Building floor height???

I searched this question but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone know the difference in a ship deck height as opposed to a building floor height? In other words, if a ship is 16 decks high then how many floors high would that be in a building? Someone here at work asked me that question as they have never seen a cruise ship and was asking me questions about the Oasis. When I said it was 16/17 decks high, they said "Is that the same height as a 16/17 floor building would be? I'm pretty sure it isn't but don't really have the answer....Thanks for all who respond and not tell me how stupid this question is LOL;)

The floor to floor height for a typical hi-rise building can range from about 8'6" for an apartment building (with ceiling heights at 8'0") to 10' or 12' for an office building as they need extra space for ductwoork and piping.

On a cruise ship, the ceiling heights for most staterooms is about 7'6" and there is probably an extra 2' or so for ducts, wiring, piping and "structure". This would give you a floor to floor height of about 9'6". The decks with public areas tend to have higher ceiling heights and could have floor to floor heights up to 14' or 16'. So comparing the height of a cruise ship (by number of decks) would be very comparable to a hi-rise building with the same number of floors.

Freedom of the Seas 209 ft. tall above the water line; 28 ft. below the water line. Total height 237 feet. 15 passenger decks + 3 crew/service decks = 18 total decks.

237 ft/18 decks = 13' 2" floor to floor height - very similar to a typical office building.

The ceiling of a cabin is NOT the floor of the deck above...there's alot of space between the two, for wires, plumbing, vents, etc...

If you go by the staircases, it's about the typical number of steps from one deck to the other...

yes, any reduction on accommodation decks are more than made up for by the taller public lounge / lifeboat / top decks which are all bigger. So yes she is the same as a 16/17 storey building, however some storeys are below the water line so from your preception is like a 14/15 storey with two level basement!!

So exactly how long is a piece of string?

Sorry whilst I understand the basis of trying to compare the size if a ship with another structure, you simply cannot compare to building heights per floor, as it would depend on the height of each floor in that building.

I for example have 9'6" ceiling heights on the ground floor of my house, and yet only 8'6 ceiling heights in the bedrooms. One of my other properties has 11'6" height ceilings on both floors, with an 18' height in the main room.

Question: How long is a piece of string?

Answer: It depends on the lenght of the piece of string you are referring to.

So exactly how long is a piece of string?

Sorry whilst I understand the basis of trying to compare the size if a ship with another structure, you simply cannot compare to building heights per floor, as it would depend on the height of each floor in that building.

I for example have 9'6" ceiling heights on the ground floor of my house, and yet only 8'6 ceiling heights in the bedrooms. One of my other properties has 11'6" height ceilings on both floors, with an 18' height in the main room.

Question: How long is a piece of string?

Answer: It depends on the lenght of the piece of string you are referring to.

ha ha ha ha :D

I searched this question but didn't come up with anything. Does anyone know the difference in a ship deck height as opposed to a building floor height? In other words, if a ship is 16 decks high then how many floors high would that be in a building? Someone here at work asked me that question as they have never seen a cruise ship and was asking me questions about the Oasis. When I said it was 16/17 decks high, they said "Is that the same height as a 16/17 floor building would be? I'm pretty sure it isn't but don't really have the answer....Thanks for all who respond and not tell me how stupid this question is LOL;)

Yes, 16/17 decks would be comparable to a 16/17 story building. Just remember several decks are below water. It's more fun to compare length. Turn a 1000-foot-long ship on its end and it would be as tall as a 100 story skyscraper!

It's not a stupid question, however, the more you think about it, the more obvious that the answer is yes, they are comparable in size. The "visible space" is obviously similar, or you would have people complaining that they feel cramped by the lack of head space, and tall people would be bumping their heads. This is not a complaint, so that's not significantly different. The invisible space is where the differences could be, and as posted, ships have infrastructure needs between decks just like big buildings do, probably even more.

Also as posted, some decks on the ships (the public area decks) are definitely higher than others.

The simple answer is to count steps between decks and floors. Steps can't lie, whether on a ship, or in a building.

Theron

The simple answer is to count steps between decks and floors. Steps can't lie, whether on a ship, or in a building.

Theron

Depending on the amount of horizontal space available to place the steps relative to the amount of height they need to raise a body up one floor, the number of steps/foot of elevation may vary considerably - especially on a ship. The riser throw (height) on a circular staircase can be significantly less than the throw on a stairway in a cramped corridor

Depending on the amount of horizontal space available to place the steps relative to the amount of height they need to raise a body up one floor, the number of steps/foot of elevation may vary considerably - especially on a ship. The riser throw (height) on a circular staircase can be significantly less than the throw on a stairway in a cramped corridor

Well, yes, of course you have to know the height of each step as well. I sort of figured that was a given... ;)

I can't recall any ship I've sailed where the main forward and aft stairwells have step heights that are noticeably different from deck to deck.

Theron

Well, yes, of course you have to know the height of each step as well. I sort of figured that was a given... ;)

I can't recall any ship I've sailed where the main forward and aft stairwells have step heights that are noticeably different from deck to deck.

Theron

On Freedom class ships, the forward stairs going from deck 4 to the helipad deck are much taller and narrower than any of the other stairways as are the stairs from the VCL up to the Chapel. On Monarch, the stairs from the pool deck to the sun deck are very steep and narrow, compared to the other decks. The stairs aft that connect the little sun deck to decks 7 and eight are almost like ladders compared to the rest of the ship.

If it's not the same, it sure feels and looks the same. The ceiling in the cabins may be lower than a typical building, but I'm sure there's space up their for the mechanicals. There's nothing like pulling up to the port, and looking up at the ship, and then going onboard and looking down on the cars, workers, and other boats and seeing there smallness in size comparison.

Archived