What is the spirit of Azamara?

IslandThyme

We just came back from our first cruise, through the Panama Canal on Celebrity, and are planning another cruise. I'm looking at the Baltic cruise on Azamara Journey, and would like to hear about why people love Azamara. We concluded that Celebrity wasn't exactly right for us, and I'm hoping Azamara might be more "our thing." I don't want to complain about Celebrity here, more just gather impressions about what's to love about Azamara.

Hmmmmm.....I hate to disappoint you, but we did a Panama Canal on X's Millenium this Spring and it was one of our best cruises EVER. We like Azamara, but that was really relaxing and yet, there were a lot of activities so you could be as busy as you wanted to be. The shows in the evening were very good and the food, IMO, was better than our last Azamara cruise - with the exception of the specialty restaurants on A. And I am sure that some one will immediately contradict that opinion. Food is subjective!

It all depends on what you are looking for.....what might that be? :confused:

I think people might need a little more info.

Infinity is one of their ships that needs remodeling and that is scheduled for the future - it is kind of tired.....did that have something to with your dislike of your cruise?

I guess if it's more action you want, book any port intensive cruise on any cruise line, and you might like that better.

We just came back from our first cruise, through the Panama Canal on Celebrity, and are planning another cruise. I'm looking at the Baltic cruise on Azamara Journey, and would like to hear about why people love Azamara. We concluded that Celebrity wasn't exactly right for us, and I'm hoping Azamara might be more "our thing." I don't want to complain about Celebrity here, more just gather impressions about what's to love about Azamara.

Staff on Celebrity are wonderful however I don't believe that you will find better staff than we have found aboard the Journey and Quest. From the Captain on down, the staff are friendly and wonderful. They help to make the cruise experience something wonderful. We have enjoyed every cruise we've taken aboard these ships.

Whatever you choose to do, happy cruising.

We like Celebrity and would cruise again on a trip that is interesting.......but LOVE Azamara. This Dec will be our 11th trip on Az and obviously like just about everything about both ships. The staff is professional, warm, and attentive . Food is great. But mostly the size of the ships and the personal attention is the best we have experienced.

Yes, Azamara has been in business that long!

We sailed on them for the first time in August and absolutely LOVED our trip. The staff from top to bottom is attentive and gracious. Their goal is to please their guests and do it safely.

Would love to have sailed them 11 times! Will keep working hard to get to try them again soon.

We didn't dislike our cruise at all, in fact we quite enjoyed it. The Infinity staff was wonderful, and the ship itself was fine, it didn't at all seem tired to us. The food was ok, but bland for us. The demographic was not quite right, we're in our early 60s and most of our fellow cruisers were significantly older. The activities aboard were geared to this older age group and didn't excite us at all. We loved the ports, not so much the sea days, for the above reasons. That's why I'm wondering what it is about Azamara that separates it from Celebrity, not what their marketing materials say, what those of you with experience say..

Island Thyme,

We were on the Journey through the Baltic in July/August. It was our first Azamara cruise and we have been on a number of Celebrity cruises including the Med. We have also cruised on Carnival (hate to admit it), Royal Caribbean, and Holland America (really hate to admit it.)

There was a feeling of quiet elegance onboard. The men truly enjoyed the lack of formality onboard. We began each evening before dinner relaxing in the parlor with the harpist playing softly.

The ship is small, which is wonderful. It carries less than 700 passengers. Each time you leave the ship there are smiling crew members offering you water and urging you to have a great tour or pleasant day ashore.

On our sea days there were activities for all. We only went to a couple of the evening entertainment venues. Most evenings we were tired and content to chill by the piano at the Mystic coffee bar.

We had a standard balcony cabin and it was fine. There was room for everything and the finishings were pleasant enough. The cabin was immaculate, which was the opposite of our Holland America cruise last November. Our stewardess was wonderful, as was her assistant.

The officers were ever present and because of our transfer status via Celebrity we were treated to several loyalty events and even sat with the captain at brunch. We felt that they appreciated our comments whether at the brunch or when passing us in a corridor. They always asked for feedback.

The itinerary was the reason we chose Azamara. We have dear friends who had been on the Quest and recommended the line. Three nights in St. Petersburg was the clincher. I had been there before on a land trip and knew three days was not nearly enough but we could visit many of the most noteworthy sites.

The food was very, very good. Taste is subjective and often cussed and discussed here on Cruise Critic but the 40 plus members of our Cruise Critic group were very complementary.

I hope you do choose The Journey. If you do please join the Roll Call for your sailing. Information about tours can be shared and you will have a built in "family."

If there is any thing we can do to help make your Journey cruise the best ever, please do not hesitate to ask.

We have also cruised on Holland America (really hate to admit it.)

Interesting.

We found Azamara most closely related to our HAL experience (different but warm friendly staff and best itineraries), and now ideally will mostly stick with HAL and Azamara.

Based on our last cruises on each, both need work in the food department (not including specialty restaurants).

Last year we did two cruises: Singapore to Athens on Quest and Panama Canal on Infinity. It would be really hard for us to split the two and say which was our best cruise ever. The only way Azamara would win over Celebrity on these two cruises would be that our cruise on Quest was 24 nights and Infinity only 14. The service on Quest was amazing but then so it was on Infinity. We gave up on the MDR on both ships and ate in the speciality restaurants. There are two of these on Quest but the SS United States on Infinity was much better. But, as someone else said, food is subjective.

No sure that I am helping you much here!

Sue

That's why I'm wondering what it is about Azamara that separates it from Celebrity, not what their marketing materials say, what those of you with experience say..

Totally different. We cruise Celebrity in the Caribbean only. Celebrity is mass market (inexpensive Caribbean getaway), although we have to say the food on Century this year (MDR and buffet) was much better than Azamara (MDR and buffet). Azamara is much smaller so you get to know the staff and crew. Everyone knew us by name.

with the exception of the specialty restaurants on A. And I am sure that some one will immediately contradict that opinion. Food is subjective!

Hi Kathy

I agree. We have loved AZ and always enjoy the speciality restaurants (we don't eat there every evening in order that others can get a booking!)On this last trip we also found it difficult to find something on the new menu, in MD, that we could enjoy. Not to our European taste. However, we could always find something to eat from the splendid array of food in the Buffet and the outdoor barbi's were 'awash' with a fantastic choice of fish..............

Carol

That's why I'm wondering what it is about Azamara that separates it from Celebrity, not what their marketing materials say, what those of you with experience say..

The flexibility with dining on Azamara was what really set it apart from Celebrity for us. On a port intensive itinerary, we found it to be really enjoyable to be able to eat when and where we wanted, at the time we wanted, and with who we wanted. Other than on the days when we had reservations for the specialty restaurant, or had made plans to join CC friends for dinner, we would just wait and see what we felt like that evening. We enjoyed all venues ... specialty DR, MDR and buffet (esp. the outside deck on nice evenings). The lack of formal nights was a plus for us as well.

We are in our early 50's. I did not find the demographic to be any different between Azamara and Celebrity. I do not find activities on Celebrity to be geared to older people at all. There are Wii sports to play, there are Rosetta Stone language classes, many, many fitness classes and activities. In general, there is more to do on Celebrity. Much more. It has a larger activities staff and more space to hold these activities.

Island Thyme: You will find an older demographic on any ship with longer itineraries - especially ones that are not port intensive - that just comes with the territory.

One thing already mentioned about Azamara is not having formal nights - certainly makes it easier for travel in Europe. That sets Azamara apart and the quiet elegance of the ship.

As far as dining when you want, that is great on Azamara, but Celebrity now offers Select Dining and you can arrive for dinner and be seated - when you feel like eating - and there are plenty of tables for two.

We did Select dining on Infinity, and that was great. I don't think we'd ever do it any other way. It does somewhat limit the pool of people that you can meet at meals when a large percentage of them do traditional dining, so that gives Azamara an advantage in my mind, since everyone's Select. No formal nights is a huge plus for us. we didn't do them on Infinity, but did feel a bit guilty about being "underdressed" around the ship on those nights. The almost no smoking policy drew us to Celebrity, and Azamara's sounds even more restrictive, with only one smoking area, as opposed to several on Infinity.

However, takemewithyou, you're scaring the pants off me about the activities. To each her own, and no insult intended, but "Wii sports" are the exact thing that we are trying to escape. The implementation of Rosetta Stone on Infinity was pretty useless, although I'd be all over it if it were streamed somewhere, with many levels, and one could work at one's own pace. Maybe it was just our CD, Damian, but we both really thought the activities were lame.

So for a 12 day Baltic cruise, what do you all think the average age of passengers might be? Also, since it begins in Europe, are we likely to have many European passengers (a big plus for us) or does Azamara attract mostly Americans?

We did Select dining on Infinity, and that was great. I don't think we'd ever do it any other way. It does somewhat limit the pool of people that you can meet at meals when a large percentage of them do traditional dining, so that gives Azamara an advantage in my mind, since everyone's Select. No formal nights is a huge plus for us. we didn't do them on Infinity, but did feel a bit guilty about being "underdressed" around the ship on those nights. The almost no smoking policy drew us to Celebrity, and Azamara's sounds even more restrictive, with only one smoking area, as opposed to several on Infinity.

However, takemewithyou, you're scaring the pants off me about the activities. To each her own, and no insult intended, but "Wii sports" are the exact thing that we are trying to escape. The implementation of Rosetta Stone on Infinity was pretty useless, although I'd be all over it if it were streamed somewhere, with many levels, and one could work at one's own pace. Maybe it was just our CD, Damian, but we both really thought the activities were lame.

So for a 12 day Baltic cruise, what do you all think the average age of passengers might be? Also, since it begins in Europe, are we likely to have many European passengers (a big plus for us) or does Azamara attract mostly Americans?

It think you said you didn't like the sea days much - and it sounds like you didn't like the activities offered. I like sea days and the relaxation they provide. I go to some activities - or I just chill and do my own thing. It varies. We really thought the CD and activities staff were the best on Millie. But, to each his own, like you say. Everyone is different.

It sounds like you would very much enjoy Azamara. It is pretty easy to meet people. When you go in for dinner, you can choose to eat with others or not - much like on Celebrity Select. The smoking onboard is very limited. The atmosphere is friendly. The staff is friendly and interact with you. There will be more Europeans onboard. However, the age range will be mixed. I expect there will be mostly Seniors onboard, but "Active Seniors". Personally, I started cruising when I was much younger, and I like sailing with all ages. They all have something to offer and I'll chat with anyone and find something interesting to talk about.

The complimentary wines served onboard are quite good. The food, IMO, is not as good as first my Azamara cruise (where it was GREAT - menus have changed and not for the better, IMO), but quite comparable to Celebrity - again, food is subjective - you may think it is fine. It's a great line to take a cruise in Europe on because the smaller ships of Azamara can get in to smaller, less crowded, more interesting ports - and they offer overnights in ports so you can get more time to experience the atmosphere.

As far as activites go on Azamara on sea days....there are still Wii sports, trivia, maybe a dance class, maybe a cooking class, port lectures and the usual stuff you find on Celebrity or other cruise lines.

Hope that helps and doesn't scare you! :):eek:

Island Thyme,

On our Baltic cruise we had a true international mix. There were Asians, Aussies, Brits, Europeans, quite a few South Americans and of course North Americans from the US and Canada. We met a wonderful mother and daughter from Mexico on Cruise Critic and spent some glorious days with them as well as a couple from Holland.

There were very few children onboard. The average age was probably in the low fifties. The itinerary is not for the faint at heart. We learned on our Mediterranean cruise that stamina is taxed and sea days are a blessing.

Cruise demographics are always hard to predict. We have been on Celebrity cruises where the average age was in the fourties and fifties, and others where I have never seen so much gray hair in my life.

I hope this has helped.

I like both Celebrity and Azamara. They are very much alike with afew differences. Azamara ships are smaller. Dress is more casual...no formal attire. Less people with open dining. Ordinary cabins with tiny bathrooms. Nice toiletries. Included soda, wines, tips, etc. Celebrity has formal nights, assigned dining times or select with waits, more options for excursions, better entertainment, often lots of kids, bigger staterooms, fabulous suites, additional charges for soda, wine, etc. I enjoy both. I pick my cruise more for the dates. Then I find a ship that is sailing where I choose to sail. I am happy with Celebrity, Azamara, and others. When I bring the family, I like Royal....a more diverse age span with lots of appropriate activities. When I sail with my spouse, I like fewer kids....Azamara. Celebrity is a good middle choice which usually pleases everyone. You will enjoy any of these lines.

Archived