Price Increase

CruiserKit

Just received this e-mail this morning:rolleyes:

Dear Travel Partner,

I am writing today to remind you of our upcoming book-by date of October 31. On November 1, fares for a selection of 19 cruise departures in 2011, in different regions and on different Seabourn yachts, will be raised between $200 and $800 per couple.

The next book-by date expires December 31. On January 1, 2011, an additional set of fare increases will be announced, which may include some of the same cruises, or a different group of departures, or both. Then book-by dates will be set and fares will continue to increase periodically as deemed appropriate.

We truly appreciate your support through the recent period during which economic conditions dictated our reducing fares. We know that it was a challenge for your business as it was for ours. Now we feel it is time to change direction and begin to correct our course.

I hope we may look forward to welcoming more of your clients aboard one of our Seabourn yachts in the near future, to continue to show them why our guests think we are the best in the world.

Sincerely,

Doug Seagle

Vice President, Sales

The Americas and Asia-Pacific

Just looked at the SB site for fares on our December 10th Sojourn cruise. Our fare has increased $1600 per person! (Its not a 2011 cruise, nor is it Nov 1st yet. I wonder what gives???)

Host Dan

Just looked at the SB site for fares on our December 10th Sojourn cruise. Our fare has increased $1600 per person! (Its not a 2011 cruise, nor is it Nov 1st yet. I wonder what gives???)

Host Dan

Weird. My husband saw that too. Also a TA crossing we had booked for next November went up 33% or about $1150 per person...we wonder what is going on also??? You know we think Seabourn wonderful and are loyal but has something gone to their head? There are other choices...maybe they are just testing to waters

We have booked our trip next year on the Pride in 3 sectors (thankfully we did it when we were on board the Spirit earlier this year) and some of the sectors have gone up by $3000-4000 pp . We love SB but we cannot understand their logic when they have just reduced the pricing on a lot of cruises for next April.

Jean

Prices for my Odyssey cruise next spring have also just increased over all the suite categories. My travel agent quoted me the old prices, but they had reserved a block of suites. If not, I wonder if the travel agencies are still quoting the old prices?

We have March 2011 Pride booked. Our A category suite has gone up about $1400 per PERSON. Yikes. Glad we booked when we did. It did seem like a great deal plus we are getting a $600 shipboard credit through the club we booked with. It worked out in our favor for a change!!

Since the economy has yet to show true signs of a recovery -- especially with respect to employment -- I wonder if Seabourn will be able to make these fare increases stick or if as they get closer to sail dates and are not fully booked they will again resort to drastic price cuts.

Since the economy has yet to show true signs of a recovery -- especially with respect to employment -- I wonder if Seabourn will be able to make these fare increases stick or if as they get closer to sail dates and are not fully booked they will again resort to drastic price cuts.
I think you are right. They will increase them, fill what they can and then go on drastic marketing compaigns to various parts of the world to fill them after they discount them down again. You really have to stay on top of what is going on to get the best deal.

Yes, you are right on having to stay on top of things -- luckily thanks to Ms Martha I now have a wonderful travel agent who will do that for me. But still, it always makes me wonder whether it is better to book early or wait. I guess in part that is determined by how badly we want to go on a particular cruise.

Yes, you are right on having to stay on top of things -- luckily thanks to Ms Martha I now have a wonderful travel agent who will do that for me. But still, it always makes me wonder whether it is better to book early or wait. I guess in part that is determined by how badly we want to go on a particular cruise.
We also have a wonderful Seabourn travel agent BUT my husband is a compulsive "plan aheader" so we book far out BUT can always cancel and get money back or change which we often do because of family events. We also relish the last minute opportunities that come through. Witih this recent price increase we saw at the same time a huge discount on the Legend Caribbean cruise in Dec. so if we had not booked the Sojourn we would have grabbed it at the last minute..think it is about the 3rd of Dec. There is something to be said for not booking so far out. Then again, we have a TA crossing for next Nov. that is half full and they just raised the price We booked a South Seas cruise out of LA in 2012 and it is also half full. Go figure. You just have to stay on top of it...that is my husband's hobby...playing with computer and travel. I just "have bags, will travel"!!! Hope we meet on a ship one of these days!!

The fare for the December 3rd Legend cruise also went up about $1000.00. I'm glad I booked early. I wonder if the cruise is close to capacity and they think they can get more for the last few rooms.

Gene

Funny our travel agent sent us a special offer on this one because it was not filled up!!

In the past year SB has had some pretty terrific bargains since they are now trying to fill a lot more beds than before. And with the Quest coming that adds another 900. Still there comes a point where they cannot continue to operate at this kind of revenue income. I agree that they may just be testing the waters with price increases but who knows if they'll return to the rock bottom levels they were at. If one is flexible and can wait it may pay with last minute reductions. However if one likes to plan ahead and is trying to use FF miles for flights any later discounts may be eviscerated by higher flight costs.

In the past year SB has had some pretty terrific bargains since they are now trying to fill a lot more beds than before. And with the Quest coming that adds another 900. Still there comes a point where they cannot continue to operate at this kind of revenue income. I agree that they may just be testing the waters with price increases but who knows if they'll return to the rock bottom levels they were at. If one is flexible and can wait it may pay with last minute reductions. However if one likes to plan ahead and is trying to use FF miles for flights any later discounts may be eviscerated by higher flight costs.
We like to do both. It will be a balancing act. It will be interesting to see what some of the other luxury lines do to try to attract Seabourn passengers. Also so many new people have been attracted by being able to go on Seabourn at rock bottom prices....will they still continue to sail on Seabourn when the price goes up or will they go to other lines that are also good but not as expensive. Either way, I think it is all great for the cruising industry. We're sold!!

We took advantage of a very special offer for our Jan 5th Sojourn cruise from Los Angeles to Sydney back in August and saved USD13,000. We recieved the offer by email on the very day we had intended to make balance payment for the cruise. We were delighted in spite of losing a wonderful upgrade to a penthouse suite. I think Seabourn are having problems filling the ship for the World Cruise.

I think one of the reasons SB may be having problems filling the Sojourn for the world cruise is that it is pretty much the identical itinerary the Odyssey did last year, cutting out those passengers who might want to do another world cruise but visit different ports. It will be interesting to see how the world cruise on the Quest next year sells with a different itinerary.

I received word from Seabourn that the price increases on the website was a result of a glitch in the system. If you look at the site now, the prices have been adjusted. 50 or so cruises WILL have a price increase beginning sometime in January. This gives us all a little more time to book a favorite cruise for 2011! :)

Host Dan

I received word from Seabourn that the price increases on the website was a result of a glitch in the system. If you look at the site now, the prices have been adjusted. 50 or so cruises WILL have a price increase beginning sometime in January. This gives us all a little more time to book a favorite cruise for 2011! :)

Host Dan

Always the bearer of good news Dan..:)

I was chatting to the Virtuoso host on our recent cruise and his view is that prices are more likely to come down due to all the new capacity - not just Seabourn but across the industry - coming on-stream in the next couple of years.

Remember, Seabourn will have increased their capacity from around 660 to almost 2000 in just 3 years.

If the economy doesn't improve these price increases wont hold. You can count on it. And it seems very unlikely the economy will improve significantly next year; in fact, it may worsen. It sounds like Seabourn may be trying to use the "panic approach" to lock in bookings now.

Archived