St Martin Grocery Store?

PirateGal

It's to the right if looking at the water. Too far to walk. They have liqour, food and clothing for sale. Prices are pretty good. I prefer Match in Marigot.

It's Sangs... http://www.sangstrading.com/

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=%233+J.+R.+Yrausquin+Blvd.,+Philipsburg,+st+maarten&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Juancho+Yrausquin+Blvd.,+Upper+Prince%27s+Quarter,+Philipsburg,+St+Maarten,+Netherlands+Antilles&z=16

Last time we were at Orient, Chez Leandro near Andy & Cheryl's still had $2 beers.

Actually best near Phillipsburg - http://www.legrandmarche.net/

There is a Cost U Less very close to that as well.

IMO, these are way out of the way for a trip to Orient.

FWIW, there is a new US Market @ Hope Estates near the roundabout to French Cul-de-Sac. Probably the most convenient if you're staying in the Orient area, but still not worth it for day-tripping without a car.

Does anyone know if there is a grocery store close to the port where we can grab some local beers and snacks before jumping in a cab to Orient Beach for the day?

why wouldn't you just eat and drink at one of the beach bars? they're not that expensive.....

There is a large grocery just outside P'burg

It's to the right if looking at the water. Too far to walk. They have liqour, food and clothing for sale. Prices are pretty good. I prefer Match in Marigot.

I have no idea what m steve is referencing here, but the other comment re: Sangs, would have been to the LEFT, facing the water.

gary

Yes, you should be able to find $2 beers along Orient.

Sang's is to the LEFT facing the water in Philipsburg, but it's a good suggestion if you're looking for beer or hard liquor on the way to Orient. We've had bad experiences with wine purchased there.

You'll have to pass Sang's going anywhere from the Cruise Facility, but note that the 'map pin' in the linked Google Maps doesn't point to Sang's, which is a little above and to the right of the pin.

You'll need to make prior arrangements with your driver before you leave the taxi stand, but you should be able to add in a booze stop at little additional expense.

I would actually recommend a different grocery store, which 'could' be on the route to Orient, Fresh Market. It's only a slight jog off of what I would expect the taxi to take, and we've found very good prices for beer and hard liquor there.

Last year we paid about $18 for cases of Carib or Heineken, but note that these are not cold. I'm not sure that you'd find anything other than singles cold. Factor in a styrofoam cooler and some ice for your day.

Personally, I'd go for the Red Stripe for a couple of dollars more per case.

gary

• 1 year later...
Yes, you should be able to find $2 beers along Orient.

Sang's is to the LEFT facing the water in Philipsburg, but it's a good suggestion if you're looking for beer or hard liquor on the way to Orient. We've had bad experiences with wine purchased there.

You'll have to pass Sang's going anywhere from the Cruise Facility, but note that the 'map pin' in the linked Google Maps doesn't point to Sang's, which is a little above and to the right of the pin.

You'll need to make prior arrangements with your driver before you leave the taxi stand, but you should be able to add in a booze stop at little additional expense.

I would actually recommend a different grocery store, which 'could' be on the route to Orient, Fresh Market. It's only a slight jog off of what I would expect the taxi to take, and we've found very good prices for beer and hard liquor there.

Last year we paid about $18 for cases of Carib or Heineken, but note that these are not cold. I'm not sure that you'd find anything other than singles cold. Factor in a styrofoam cooler and some ice for your day.

Personally, I'd go for the Red Stripe for a couple of dollars more per case.

gary

Gary. Can u tell me how to get to this grocery store or to whatever store is closet to orient. I also read there is something right at orient viLlage do u know how large or how much of a selection they have

Thanks

We spend very little time around Orient Village, but my understanding is that the small grocery, Tap 5, is still open there, and has actually done an expansion recently. I would think of this as a 7-11 with a good selection of cheese and wine.

The closest 'supermarket' would be US Market, with a location on the main road between Orient and Grand Case, less than 10 minutes away.

It's not US as in United States, but the initials of the owner or such, and is VERY French. Almost exclusively French and European products. It is French-side, so prices are in Euros, and we consider it quite expensive.

I can say this because we've shopped in their location over in Sandy Ground before this location opened -- we've never visited this one.

You ask about my reference to Fresh Market, which would be my choice. It's Dutch-side, so seems to be much cheaper, and has a great produce department if you might be shopping for fruits or salads. Beer, wine, liquor, deli, everything you could ask for and a good selection of US products are available.

To get there you would get on the main road out of Orient and head South, towards Philipsburg.

Turn left into the Fresh Market parking lot.

th_FreshtoOrient.jpg

(click)

Depending on where you get on to that main road it should be about 10 - 12 minutes.

gary

p.s. Does this mean that you're getting a car?

Orient Village does have a small, pretty well stocked French market. We rented a house in Orient Village a couple of summers ago and visited this place regularly. It is just a short walk from the beach about midway along the length of Orient Beach.

Thanks for all the info.

Gary we are not sure yet what we r doing. It was a bad summer so the budget is kinda tight. Going to have to wait a couple weeks to see if the trip is still going to happen. Been seeing all these great deals in other places but we really had our hearts set on st Maarten this year. As far as the car rental goes, that will depend on what kind of package we end up with. If we get something that includes airport transfers then I'm just not sure we will rent. Or maybe we will just do a one or two day rental and get our groceries and tour the island on those days

Spurs, thanks for your info. At least we know we can get by a day or two if we have to with the store at the village

Archived