No More Paying With Dollars in Mexican Tourist Areas

I am a US citizen doing business and living in Mexico. The banks will only exchange $300 usd per day per person 5 days a week. If you have a Mexican corporation, then you can accept US credit cards and wire transfers. Now they are even limiting the amount we accept in cash to $7,000 usd. We sell furniture so it doesn't take long to reach $7,000 in a month. For small business owners, they operate as a type of business called a "persona fisica," which literally means physical person. So that is like working as an individual in the states in your own name, not a corporation. Most small businesses in Mexico are persona fisicas. They are only allowed to accept $1,500 usd a month and can only change $300 a day. The banks are tracking in the computer so you cannot go back twice. It is not that the mexicans do not want to take your money. They really have no way to exchange it in to the local economy money, pesos. I have lived in Cozumel 11 years and it is paradise. Sure there is some poverty, but the crime is low and the people are kind. Mexico really is doing all this to cooperate with the United States to help stop drug trafficking. It makes me sad when I hear such ugly American comments about the Mexican people. Most Mexicans are hard working, good people and Mexico is a close place to visit from the states and it is not expensive. I use my credit cards here every week when I shop for groceries. Is there no credit card fraud in the United States? And a tidbit of info.... did you know Mexico is also the United States ... it is legally called The United States of Mexico.

Nobody here is out to get you. It has just become almost impossible to accept dollars here. We are all doing our best.

I am a US citizen doing business and living in Mexico. The banks will only exchange $300 usd per day per person 5 days a week. If you have a Mexican corporation, then you can accept US credit cards and wire transfers. Now they are even limiting the amount we accept in cash to $7,000 usd. We sell furniture so it doesn't take long to reach $7,000 in a month. For small business owners, they operate as a type of business called a "persona fisica," which literally means physical person. So that is like working as an individual in the states in your own name, not a corporation. Most small businesses in Mexico are persona fisicas. They are only allowed to accept $1,500 usd a month and can only change $300 a day. The banks are tracking in the computer so you cannot go back twice. It is not that the mexicans do not want to take your money. They really have no way to exchange it in to the local economy money, pesos. I have lived in Cozumel 11 years and it is paradise. Sure there is some poverty, but the crime is low and the people are kind. Mexico really is doing all this to cooperate with the United States to help stop drug trafficking. It makes me sad when I hear such ugly American comments about the Mexican people. Most Mexicans are hard working, good people and Mexico is a close place to visit from the states and it is not expensive. I use my credit cards here every week when I shop for groceries. Is there no credit card fraud in the United States? And a tidbit of info.... did you know Mexico is also the United States ... it is legally called The United States of Mexico.

Nobody here is out to get you. It has just become almost impossible to accept dollars here. We are all doing our best.

Bravo! Great post and we totally agree with your last sentence. We live in PV for about 2 months a year and have an ongoing love affair with Mexico and its wonderful people (some The Mexicans are a warm friendly people who are very family oriented. Most of them try very hard to please. Watching cruise passengers in PV reminds us that the Ugly American is alive and well and often come in the form of cruise passengers (and we are bit time cruisers ourselves). People need to learn how to say hello and thank you in Spanish, smile, slow down (the Mexican culture operates at a slower pace then USA culture) and enjoy being in a foreign country.

Sure, some of the venders can be a bit pushy but they are simply trying to make a living in a very competitive environment. A simple "No gracias" accompanied with a smile will usually resolve those venders.

We also do not understand all the resistence to getting a few Pesos....which will save you some real money. ATMs are very common and work quite well with our ATM/Debit cards.

Hank

BRAVO from me as well! Some people are just arrogant morons. Nothing can change that.:rolleyes:

We will save them the trouble of dealing with us and our gringo dollars. We just won't spend any of our money in mexico until they learn that we need to be protected from the drug dealers running the country. See you when you get your stuff together Mexico.

Oh that is really smart. Punish the poor hard working people. I would rather you stayed out of Mexico as you appear to be one of those Ugly Americans. Leave the wonderful country and people for the rest of us to enjoy. I for one will just order some pesos from my bank before I go. It is no big deal. When I go to England I take British Pounds and when traveling on the continent I take Euros. I have appreciated the convenience of using US dollars in Mexico, but they have every right to only accept their own currency.

We will save them the trouble of dealing with us and our gringo dollars. We just won't spend any of our money in mexico until they learn that we need to be protected from the drug dealers running the country. See you when you get your stuff together Mexico.

Our country runs on supply and demand. The supply is coming from other countries. Where do you think the demand is coming from???

I will avoid any travel to Mexico in the future. Didn't feel good about the place last time I was there, and there's no way I would use a credit card in Mexico for purchases.

Story: On a past cruise, a fellow cruiser returned to her cabin one day to find a note from guest relations, stating her credit card, which she used for her onboard account and also used onshore in Cozumel was maxed out and she could no longer use it for her onboard account. Why? Apparently when she used it in Cozumel, her number was stolen and the theives quickly maxed out her card. She said she had always been careful in the past not to use her card in Mexico, but thought she would be ok this once....she admitted her mistake. So.....BEWARE of using credit cards in Mexico! Who's to help you in a situation like this? Mexican authorities....I doubt it.

Reading this only reinforces the fact that I have no desire to return to Mexico. I see my share of Mexico in South Central PA.

I will avoid any travel to Mexico in the future. Didn't feel good about the place last time I was there, and there's no way I would use a credit card in Mexico for purchases.

Story: On a past cruise, a fellow cruiser returned to her cabin one day to find a note from guest relations, stating her credit card, which she used for her onboard account and also used onshore in Cozumel was maxed out and she could no longer use it for her onboard account. Why? Apparently when she used it in Cozumel, her number was stolen and the theives quickly maxed out her card. She said she had always been careful in the past not to use her card in Mexico, but thought she would be ok this once....she admitted her mistake. So.....BEWARE of using credit cards in Mexico! Who's to help you in a situation like this? Mexican authorities....I doubt it.

Reading this only reinforces the fact that I have no desire to return to Mexico. I see my share of Mexico in South Central PA.

You know one person who had their card compromised in Mexico, it happens in the states too. I know 200 people living in Mexico, myself included, who haven't had a problem. Heck, the US government compromised my dh's social security number. So much for authorities, huh?

I'm not even going to comment on the thinly veiled borderline racist comment.

I've had my credit card number stolen in the United States. Should I stop using my credit card in the United States?

Please see smokey the bear a few posts back.

I just returned from Cancun, Mexico. I stayted at a resort rather than visit on a cruise ship. Everyone was SO nice and helpful. We could only change $300 aa day per person and had to show our passport, but it wasn't difficult. There was no limit to get pesos from Traveler's Checks. There was also no problem paying with US dollars at the shops, both the mall and little shops while visiting the ruins. It was a very enjoyable trip and we felt very safe.

I've had my credit card number stolen in the United States. Should I stop using my credit card in the United States?

This sentiment is not much better than the post that you responded to.

Person uses their credit card two or three times a week for dozens of years with not ever a single problem, then goes on vacation to Mexico and has it stolen for the first time, what are they supposed to think? Only a fool does not evaluate the data they encounter and make adjustments to keep the bad things from happening again. And before you blow a gasket, I'm not saying that nobody should travel to Mexico, I'm just saying things happen, and it's fair to observe that they probably happen more often in a highly tourist area in Mexico than on mainstreet, USA. Precautions need to be taken whenever and where ever one travels.

Theron

Person uses their credit card two or three times a week for dozens of years with not ever a single problem, then goes on vacation to Mexico and has it stolen for the first time, what are they supposed to think? Only a fool does not evaluate the data they encounter and make adjustments to keep the bad things from happening again. And before you blow a gasket, I'm not saying that nobody should travel to Mexico, I'm just saying things happen, and it's fair to observe that they probably happen more often in a highly tourist area in Mexico than on mainstreet, USA. Precautions need to be taken whenever and where ever one travels.

Theron

Few years ago my CC number (not the actual card) was stolen and used 3x for around $500 each time after I used it for the first time at a California based restaurant. The charges were made in Houston, TX. The CC took off the charges so no big deal for me, but let's be honest. CC identity theft happens EVERYWHERE.

Should I stay away from California restaurants? ;)

Few years ago my CC number (not the actual card) was stolen and used 3x for around $500 each time after I used it for the first time at a California based restaurant. The charges were made in Houston, TX. The CC took off the charges so no big deal for me, but let's be honest. CC identity theft happens EVERYWHERE.

Should I stay away from California restaurants? ;)

That one, yeah, probably! :D

Theron

Now, back to the issue at hand. While it is very convenient to go to Mexico and use our U.S dollars, we are in a foreign country and should by all means use their currency! No other country in the world accepts U.S dollars so why should Mexico? We can't just assume that they want U.S dollars and that it is superior.

Mexico is the only country that takes US dollars? LOL besides the fact you can use them about anywhere it is also used as the national currency for other countries.

Theron

This has to be the most ridiculous thread ever. Let me tell you since I do credit card security audits and investigations in the US. Your CC is not safe - sorry. The big companies do as little as possible to secure your information and the majority of CC breaches occur at small merchants via employee theft every min of every day. Compare everytime you use your CC to the few times you use it on vacation - it's being stolen here and probably already has been since multiple major CC processors have been breached, along with stores like TJMax, banks, and grocery chains. Hundreds of millions of CCs in just one of those breaches. And you are worried about Mexico - give me a break.

Theron

Do you stop driving because of an accident? Do you stop flying because of a plane crash? Do you stop eating because some food made you sick?

Life goes on.

Do you stop driving because of an accident? Do you stop flying because of a plane crash? Do you stop eating because some food made you sick?

Life goes on.

You are mixing very broad and very specific analogies.

If someone had an accident because they were driving under the influence, or with excessive speed, or in unsafe road conditions, then a prudent person would evaluate those causes and adjust their actions in future driving.

If an airplane crashed due to negligent maintenance or safety practices, then a prudent person would not fly that airline until those problems were corrected.

If someone became sick after eating a certain type of food, or at a certain restaurant where basic food safety precautions were not taken, then a prudent person would not eat those foods or at that restaurant until such a time as those precautions were taken.

Life does go on, and we are given cognitive reasoning skills to evaluate our choices based on past life experiences, so that we may make wiser choices in the future.

Theron

For everyone who doesn't support what the government is trying to do, as well as those who do, I have to ask you or your prayers, goo thoughts and positive vibes today. Two weeks ago two grenades were detonated near a us tourist spot nearby in a drug related incident. Last night, another grenade was detonated across the street from a hospital filled with American med students in another drug related incident. Two people died and another injured. Whether you think the American dollar thing is ridiculous or whatever, my once safe neighorhood is under attack because they are finally feeling the pressure with these new rules. Your continued support is appreciated and having an impact.

You are mixing very broad and very specific analogies.

If someone had an accident because they were driving under the influence, or with excessive speed, or in unsafe road conditions, then a prudent person would evaluate those causes and adjust their actions in future driving.

If an airplane crashed due to negligent maintenance or safety practices, then a prudent person would not fly that airline until those problems were corrected.

If someone became sick after eating a certain type of food, or at a certain restaurant where basic food safety precautions were not taken, then a prudent person would not eat those foods or at that restaurant until such a time as those precautions were taken.

Life does go on, and we are given cognitive reasoning skills to evaluate our choices based on past life experiences, so that we may make wiser choices in the future.

Theron

Here is a list of the ten riskiest places to use a credit card - note, Mexico is not on the list ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/111238/10-riskiest-places-to-give-your-social-security-number?mod=bb-budgeting

Archived