No More Paying With Dollars in Mexican Tourist Areas

Here is a list of the ten riskiest places to use a credit card - note, Mexico is not on the list ...

http://finance.yahoo.com/banking-budgeting/article/111238/10-riskiest-places-to-give-your-social-security-number?mod=bb-budgeting

Wrong link? That article is about Social Security Numbers.

Theron

For everyone who doesn't support what the government is trying to do, as well as those who do, I have to ask you or your prayers, goo thoughts and positive vibes today. Two weeks ago two grenades were detonated near a us tourist spot nearby in a drug related incident. Last night, another grenade was detonated across the street from a hospital filled with American med students in another drug related incident. Two people died and another injured. Whether you think the American dollar thing is ridiculous or whatever, my once safe neighorhood is under attack because they are finally feeling the pressure with these new rules. Your continued support is appreciated and having an impact.

What is happening in Mexico and other countries fighting internal wars with drug lords is a travesty but this will do nothing to stem the violence and generally policies as these only hurt the legitimate peoples as there will always be black markets and illegal means.

and that's the "most ridiculous" statement winner.... :rolleyes:

Lets see recently I have used them in Mexico US Panama Canada Nicaragua CR Borneo Brunei Phillipines Guatemala various spots in Indonesia everywhere in the Caribbean. The only people who don't like a weak dollar is us. I have never had a problem using a US dollar as long as I "don't mind local currency as change."

Lets see recently I have used them in Mexico US Panama Canada Nicaragua CR Borneo Brunei Phillipines Guatemala various spots in Indonesia everywhere in the Caribbean.

If that constitues "just about anywhere" in the world, then you have not traveled a great deal.

Try to use U$ in European food markets or department stores. Try again in South America, try again in most of Asia, Africa, etc, etc....

What is happening in Mexico and other countries fighting internal wars with drug lords is a travesty but this will do nothing to stem the violence and generally policies as these only hurt the legitimate peoples as there will always be black markets and illegal means.

:sigh:

There is already a massive illegal market. It's called the united states of America. Patrolling the borders didnt work, sending in mexican troops didn't help, the US sanctioned raids didn't work, but they are feeling the pinch with this. The only way to get rid of the violence here is to stop the cycle of drugs. You can't keep up with manufacturing and the US isn't going to legalize drug manufacturing so the other option is to stop the money flow. You have to stop the American drug trade to stop the violence. That's all there is to it and if you can't support a safer world because of a minor inconvenience, then I feel sorry for you.

Wrong link? That article is about Social Security Numbers.

Theron

:o Right link - wrong fingers. :o

The point is, things, including credit card numbers and SS numbers get stolen all over the world. There are some places in Mexico where one should not use a credit card, but then the same can be said for the United States.

It is still safer than carrying cash (dollars or pesos).

If that constitues "just about anywhere" in the world, then you have not traveled a great deal.

Try to use U$ in European food markets or department stores. Try again in South America, try again in most of Asia, Africa, etc, etc....

We have traveled in several countries in Europe and found acceptance of the US dollar to be almost non existent. The only times we found it to be acceptable was in St Petersburg, in a street market, and in Rome paying a tour guide, and that was pre-arranged over the internet.

Countries where we found it not accepted have been UK, Ireland, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, France, Italy, Spain, Greece and Croatia.

South America was very different. We have visited Venezuela, Colombia, Peru Ecuador, Chile, Argentina and Brazil. We never had a problem using US dollars, it is of course the official currency in Ecuador.

This is an interesting/surprisingly inflammatory thread. When I visit foreign countries I often bring US$ with me (and I'm Canadian!). US$ is NOT a universal currency and I view it as a convenience that I can typically shop in the Caribbean, Mexico and the US (of course) with a single currency. When I was in EUrope I dutifully purchased the variety of currencies that I needed.

Money is money but if there are government regulations that prevent the acceptance of a foreign currency that's a perfectly legitimate reason and I intend to comply with the rules of the country I am visiting. I would never assume that US currency is acceptable without doing research.

By the way, I use my credit cards in the Caribbean/Mexico, and yes I have been defrauded - oh wait, that was when I used it in Florida.

Just a quick update from our Mexican Riviera (Mariner) cruise, last week:

We had no problems with using US $$ in any of the ports we visited -- including areas off the beaten path, such as Todos Santos (Cabo) and Stone Island (Mazatlan). We didn't make any large purchases, and mostly used small denominations. The merchants and tour operators that we spoke with said that they still welcomed US $$, but indicated that their new laws were an added burden on the small business operators, who are already reeling from a bad economy. :(

Oh that is really smart. Punish the poor hard working people. I would rather you stayed out of Mexico as you appear to be one of those Ugly Americans. Leave the wonderful country and people for the rest of us to enjoy. I for one will just order some pesos from my bank before I go. It is no big deal. When I go to England I take British Pounds and when traveling on the continent I take Euros. I have appreciated the convenience of using US dollars in Mexico, but they have every right to only accept their own currency.

Well, I already gave to the Salvation Army.

In addition, what is so wonderful about a country where authorities and the media are appeasing the Drug Lords, people in high positions are constantly being killed, lots of collateral damage, citizens are illegally crossing in to the US by the thousands,.....again, what is so wonderful about Mexico?

I will stay on the ship.

We are shaking our head at many of the posts here and wondering what is the big deal. Mexico has simply implemented some simple finanical controls to put more pressue on the cartels. That is their internal problem. When we live in Mexico (about 2 months a year) we use Pesos just like we use Euros in most of Western Europe and US dollars in the USA. This seems logical. As to getting Pesos in Mexico it is very easy to stop at any ATM and get some local currency (this is how we get currency all over the world). If you insist on spending US dollars, you will find some merchants who will take your dollars and will often charge you about 20% more for using those dollars (many businesses in Mexico will give you 10:1).

As to our fellow countrymen who have this all too typical Ugly American Attitude we should remind them that there would be a lot fewer drug problems in Mexico if our fellow Americans did not buy the drugs! The real problem is inside the USA where little is done to control the use of illegal drugs.

Hank

We are shaking our head at many of the posts here and wondering what is the big deal.

The big deal is it's Cruise Critics and most people don't understand that it's not going to affect them unless they are buying something that's over $100. We spend a lot of money in Mexico, regularly we go over the customs limit. The large items are usually jewelry, OK always jewelry. We buy from reputable stores and instead of carrying lots of dollars around, we have always charged it with no sweat. It's a CC storm in a teacup.

As to our fellow countrymen who have this all too typical Ugly American Attitude we should remind them that there would be a lot fewer drug problems in Mexico if our fellow Americans did not buy the drugs! The real problem is inside the USA where little is done to control the use of illegal drugs.

Isn't that the truth. Unfortunately the same posters with the " typical Ugly American Attitude" are so blind, they can't see past the end of their noses.

Well, I already gave to the Salvation Army.

In addition, what is so wonderful about a country where authorities and the media are appeasing the Drug Lords, people in high positions are constantly being killed, lots of collateral damage, citizens are illegally crossing in to the US by the thousands,.....again, what is so wonderful about Mexico?

I will stay on the ship.

Do us ALL a favor, and just stay home :rolleyes:

We are shaking our head at many of the posts here and wondering what is the big deal. Mexico has simply implemented some simple finanical controls to put more pressue on the cartels. That is their internal problem. When we live in Mexico (about 2 months a year) we use Pesos just like we use Euros in most of Western Europe and US dollars in the USA. This seems logical. As to getting Pesos in Mexico it is very easy to stop at any ATM and get some local currency (this is how we get currency all over the world). If you insist on spending US dollars, you will find some merchants who will take your dollars and will often charge you about 20% more for using those dollars (many businesses in Mexico will give you 10:1).

Hank

Well said!!

We will save them the trouble of dealing with us and our gringo dollars. We just won't spend any of our money in mexico until they learn that we need to be protected from the drug dealers running the country. See you when you get your stuff together Mexico.

I really try my best not to get involved in these types of discussions, because they usually turn ugly, but, seriously?

BRAVO from me as well! Some people are just arrogant morons. Nothing can change that.:rolleyes:

Bravo from me as well!!! Hank next time we are in PV together I am buying you and Mrs. Hlitner a Margarita at Cafe Roma's. :)

What ever country we are in we use that countries currancy, ATM machines are universal throughout the world.....I can not believe some of these horrific racist posts...and all because Mexico is wanting people to use Pesos instead of USD.

We usually escape to Puerto Vallarta a few times a year and one day will live there part time. We have been lucky to meet many wonderful PV friends all who are much nicer, tolerant, kinder and respectful then some of the posters on this thread.

:rolleyes:

We will save them the trouble of dealing with us and our gringo dollars. We just won't spend any of our money in mexico until they learn that we need to be protected from the drug dealers running the country. See you when you get your stuff together Mexico.

• 2 weeks later...

Just back from Cozumel...purchased and paid for everything in US $'s and received back US $'s back for the change...no problems....there were signs saying that if you make a purchase of more than $100 they couldn't accept US money. If you are buying multiple items at the same shop and they come out to over a hundred just split the purchase up;)

You think the answer to counterfeit money is to make drugs legal???

Any business on the border of US, Canada and Mexico happily take each other currency. If they didn't their business would fold.

You are quite mistaken if you think the US will take Canadian currency. They don't.

Archived