No More Paying With Dollars in Mexican Tourist Areas

If 90% of their customers were Mexican nationals carrying Mexican pesos, then yes I would, wouldn't you? It would be a foolish business decision for them not to.

Theron

This isn't a business decision so the analogy doesn't quite fit.

It's absolutely a business decision. Just not one made by the owner of the business. Every bit as foolish, IMHO...

Theron

Thank you for supporting the one loop hole that gives deadly criminals a haven to continue laundering money. I appreciate it.

You think the poor people who only make as much in a year as most Americans make in a month are going to turn down your money?

Why should they be forced to take your us $$. Is it because they're desperate? How philanthropic of you to be so generous to give them somethin that they then have to hassle with at their bank just so you don't have to stop at an ATM. When that vendor reaches their max, then what?

Why don't we get rid of the problem altogether and push the us government to make the sale and manufacture of illicit drugs legal so the cartels here go out of business. But you probably don't want the drug use to escalate and have a neighborhood of drug abusers living next door, right? Just like those people don't want to end up in the crossfire of a shootout.

Why should they be forced to take your us $$. Is it because they're desperate? How philanthropic of you to be so generous to give them somethin that they then have to hassle with at their bank just so you don't have to stop at an ATM. When that vendor reaches their max, then what?

Why don't we get rid of the problem altogether and push the us government to make the sale and manufacture of illicit drugs legal so the cartels here go out of business. But you probably don't want the drug use to escalate and have a neighborhood of drug abusers living next door, right? Just like those people don't want to end up in the crossfire of a shootout.

The folks in Cozumel are not being forced to take US $. They are not desperate either. It is quite the different place then Guadalajara. I have been going to Cozumel for 40+ years and even remember when they only wanted US$ not Pesos. Even in some shops today they have to use a calculator to figure out how much to charge if you want to pay in Pesos!! Could you even imagine the lines at the ATM's When the Oasis, Epic, and 6 or 7 other large ships dock, the cruise ship folks at the end of line would not have time to shop!.

Thank you for supporting the one loop hole that gives deadly criminals a haven to continue laundering money. I appreciate it.

So it's better to shift the burden and responsibility for fighting deadly criminals onto the backs (and income) of your tourist retail businesses?

Theron

The folks in Cozumel are not being forced to take US $. They are not desperate either. It is quite the different place then Guadalajara. I have been going to Cozumel for 40+ years and even remember when they only wanted US$ not Pesos. Even in some shops today they have to use a calculator to figure out how much to charge if you want to pay in Pesos!! Could you even imagine the lines at the ATM's When the Oasis, Epic, and 6 or 7 other large ships dock, the cruise ship folks at the end of line would not have time to shop!.

And Cozumel isn't the only place cruise ships port at either and the violence is inching in.

The mentality that if they want American tourists then they should take American money, or else... Is what I'm talking about "being forced". I'm all for businesses having the choice, but things are different now and they are trying to reign in a serious issue, one that has killed Americans. If a vendor chooses to take us $, that's their choice, but it's the mentality that a tourist cant be inconvenienced because they don't want to deal with a local currency because they're American and "spreading the wealth" that makes me sick. If they're spending less than $100, fine the world keeps spinning, but to be hateful that they would have to use an alternative nmethod for amounts over that is just backwards. The government tried to find a balance to keep tourists happy, but the rest of the citizens need protection and a quick resolve to the violence problem.

So it's better to shift the burden and responsibility for fighting deadly criminals onto the backs (and income) of your tourist retail businesses?

Theron

Would you rather have the cruiseships stop coming to Mexico because the violence escalated? Everyone loses then.

Would you rather have the cruiseships stop coming to Mexico because the violence escalated? Everyone loses then.

You might not want to hear the answer that many, many people would give you to that question...

What I, and I suspect most people want, is for the Mexican government to step up and stop the problem. That means dealing with the criminals, not the law-abiding citizens.

Theron

You think the answer to counterfeit money is to make drugs legal???

Any business on the border of US, Canada and Mexico happily take each other currency. If they didn't their business would fold.

Any business on the border of US, Canada and Mexico happily take each other currency. If they didn't their business would fold.

It's not about counterfeit money. It's drug cartels dealing drugs in the us so they have an abundance of us dollars. The idea is that if they make it harder for them to use/deposit us$$$ then they will have a harder time selling drugs in the us.

You might not want to hear the answer that many, many people would give you to that question...

What I, and I suspect most people want, is for the Mexican government to step up and stop the problem. That means dealing with the criminals, not the law-abiding citizens.

Theron

They've tried doing that, just like the drug war in the states, the only way to fight it is to interrupt the supply and demand flow. They can kill and arrest all the drug kingpins and underlings they want to, but as long as there is money in it, someone will step up and take their place. The US government sends money here and approved a sting in my neighborhood which killed several kingpins and they were replaced in minutes.

While it's true that businesses on the Canadian side of the border will take US currency, I have yet to find any business in the US that will gladly accept what some still call our "funny money".

Theron

Is it the salesman or the buyer?? Why can't we Americans realize that if there wasn't a market for illegal drugs in the U.S. the cartels would have to sell tequila!! It isn't just Mexico's problem.

While it's true that businesses on the Canadian side of the border will take US currency, I have yet to find any business in the US that will gladly accept what some still call our "funny money".

Thats true, you cannot use Canadian $ in thee US, even in border cities like Buffalo.

I own a large sporting goods store in Michigan. Ill take your money . I have a lot of Canadian custamers that shop at our store . Right now the exchange rate is small. My point was that when making a deposit at the bank they dont care what country the money is from . They just charge the exchange rate . Also a lot of cruise port stores are maniged by or suported by the cruise ship cos. They dont care eather . The banks seperate the transations . Ive also been to Europe this summer and didnt have any trouble using american dollars . Only thing was they return change in that countrys curency and charged an exchange rate . . If you look at tags at the shops most will have the prices in both countries money. Iv had people even ask if I was paying in US dollars as they prefered it . Maybe they have a problem with counterfit Pesos . Their money looks easer to counterfit than ours . My point still is if they want me to go there a boarder country of ours and a big tourest stop they should take american dollars . I personally dont care what a couple of you think im expresing my opinion . If It inconvenses them that much I can always pick a stop that dont stop there , I actually perfur the Virgin Islands better anyway . CARL

Twis in Coz last Dec 2009. Our $$ were taken. I would like to point out something. If the dollars are torn or missing a small section or ratty looking' date=' they won't take it. SO get new or pretty new $$.

Looking forward to have a great meal there again.[/quote']

How about if we just print our own?

Archived