Got answers? I have questions!

Ok, so my husband and I just switched from the Serenade in May to the Liberty in January. I couldn't wait so long to cruise again.

So, I have questions about FLL and Miami.

So, we will be flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before. It is so much cheaper to fly there from Boston than to fly to Miami.

Where should we stay? In Fort Lauderdale or in Miami? Any hotel recommendations? (The cheaper the better)

What are the costs for a taxi from FLL airport to a hotel/port in the Miami area? (either to get to Miami for a hotel or from a hotel in Fort Lauderdale to the port) Is it cheaper to rent a car?

We are staying in cabin 7708....Any info or pics? I know the Royal website says it is obstructed but is it really bad? I've heard the balcony is HUGE! :D

Which is the best island to see the Ruins? Our cruise stops in Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize.

94 days! AHHHH

Ok, so my husband and I just switched from the Serenade in May to the Liberty in January. I couldn't wait so long to cruise again.

So, we will be flying into Fort Lauderdale the day before. It is so much cheaper to fly there from Boston than to fly to Miami.

Where should we stay? In Fort Lauderdale or in Miami? Any hotel recommendations? (The cheaper the better)

What are the costs for a taxi from FLL airport to a hotel/port in the Miami area? (either to get to Miami for a hotel or from a hotel in Fort Lauderdale to the port) Is it cheaper to rent a car?

We are staying in cabin 7708....Any info or pics? I know the Royal website says it is obstructed but is it really bad? I've heard the balcony is HUGE! :D

Which is the best island to see the Ruins? Our cruise stops in Cozumel, Costa Maya and Belize.

94 days! AHHHH

I will try to help you from my own experience. First, it was also cheaper for us to fly into FLL last winter. We flew in 2 days early last year so we rented a car, however I read very good things about SAS Transport on these boards for affordable transportation to and from port of Miami. I spoke to the owner ont he phone a few times and he was very helpful. Their website says their rates are $15 per person from FLL to the port.

As far as where to stay, I was able to get a very nice room on priceline in Fort Lauderdale Last year for $70. We stayed at the Diplomat, which was a gorgeous resort.

We also got our rental car for 2 days on priceline for $20 per day. So again it was a little more than the transportation but we had it for 2 days.

As far as the ruins, We did the ones in Belize last year. They were incredible. My only complaint is that we did the excursion that was a couple hours away by bus and it wasn't the most comfortable, but it was still a GREAT excursion and experience. In Belize, I would only do a ships excursion. There are too many variables and i wouldn't want to be left there. We went snorkeling with sea Turtles in Cozumel. That was really fun too.

I hope this info was a little helpful. Happy Cruising.

Lucia

Contact SAS at ridesas.com for transport from FLL to Miami and back to FLL from Miami. They are heap and dependable. A taxi would be around $80 each way. We like to stay in a hotel in downtown Miami close to the port. Typically we bid around $70-80 on Priceline and usually get the Hyatt. Definitely either Costa Maya or Belize for ruins. The closest to dock is at Costa Maya, about 1.5 hr bus drive.

I'm doing the same in January on the 9th on the Liberty. Flying into FLL a day early, but staying in MIA. I have a car reserved, but probably going to switch to SAS for transport.

The ruins in Belize are amazing. The two hour ride is well worth it, and as mentioned stick with the ships excursion. Also while at the ruins, stick close to the guide. Sometimes its hard to hear if other people are carrying on general conversations not related to the tour.

IMO I would pass on the Hyatt Regency Pier 66. That is where we stayed for two days prior to our cruise. We found it to be badly located in that you needed to take a bus or a long walk across the bridge to civilization, otherwise you are pretty much stuck at the hotel for meals. The restaurants have no ambience and the food was disappointing. They are also very expensive. We did not try their most expensive restaurant in the hotel because we were warned by others that it was only "o.k."

Room service was excellent. In addition, they charge daily for parking.

The high point of the place is the restaurant at the top of the hotel that turns, except it was not turning for us. It was only open for weddings, etc. We had broken things in our room, which we were told would be taken care of right away. In two days, they never came. Dirt on the bathroom floor remained that way for the two days. the beds were not even actually made. Although the hotel was obviously once very nice, we thought that in spite of the remodeling, it was still not very nice anymore; very outdated.

All the other hotels that we noticed were on the other side of the bridge and all seemed to be more attractive. However, you are only going to be there for one night, so if any choice you make proves to be a little disappointing, it is not the end of the world. ;)

Did the Tulum tour from Cozumel from the Mariner years ago. HOT HOT HOT!!! Use the provided umbrellas as parasols. Just beautiful, though, and great historical guides. It's a 6-hour Cruiseline excursion. The bus trip was long, broken with a stop at a local souvenir shop. Glad we were on a cruiseline tour; on a long trip like this it's a good idea in case of any breakdowns, etc. (although it might be fun to do with a smaller group in the future if the port stop is long enough). You can add a "beach break" for $10 (and 2 more hours).

I did not do the "Mayan Ruins & Beach Break" -- this is apparently a less historic and less beautiful site, but you do get more beach time, since it is closer to the pier. Depends what your main interest is. Enjoy!

Ooh, looking over the shore excursions for Cozumel makes me want to book this port again; many wonderful things to do there. I also recommend the Marine Parks (we did Xel'Ha; I see Chukanab listed here) -- amazing up-close sea life experience, like DisneyWorld underwater!

My family and I (12 total) went on a cruise out of Miami in Feb. of this year. I also found the price to fly into FLL much cheaper. We were on a very resrticted budget as my DH lost his job the month before we were to leave. We ended up using the rail system to go from FLL to MIA. There is a shuttle from the airport to the station and it's free. The cost of the train for my immediate family was only $15 total as my 2 kids were half price and it was a weekend day (weekday is even cheaper). There is a regular schedule for the trains that can be found online. You can google transportation with the locations and it will pop up. No it may not have been as convienient as a shuttle service but boy did we save a LOT of money!

I do know that a taxi from Miami port to FLL will cost about $50-$60. A cabbie after our cruise was trying to work us a deal when we asked him to take us to the train station.

While in Miami we stayed at the La Quinta on La Juene and it was a good price and had a free shuttle. The only bad thing was out shuttle got a flat tire on the way to the port. My sister and her family stayed at the Days Inn and they also had a shuttle. She didn't think it was to bad for just one night and there was a McDonalds within walking distance.

Enjoy your trip!

The "obstruction" on 7708 is the superstructure of the rear of the ship....it will extend beyond your balcony, so when standing at the end railing, you won't be able to look straight down into the water....there is "ship" beyond your railing....you will have a full view outward.

I recommend staying in Miami. It looks like you've got some great answers for shuttle service.

A great hotel in Miami is the Holiday Inn/port of Miami. You can see the ships in port from the hotel. It is across the street from Bayside Marketplace, a quaint shopping area with many stores and restaurants.

For the ruins, I HIGHLY recommend The Native Choice in Costa Maya. David and Ivan are Fantastic. We did the Chacchoben ruins with them. It was the best shore excursion that we have ever been on.

94 days! AHHHH

Hi We just returned from the Liberty eastern last week.

We also flew into Ft Lauderdale on Southwest due to price. We stayed at the Westin Diplomat in Hollywood (halfway between Ft Lauderdale and Miami) and paid $66 per night using priceline name your price option. We didn't find it necessary to rent a car as parking anywhere in Ft Lauderdale is pricey and you can get the trolley from the diplomat up to the boardwalk in Hollywood for $1 PP. each way. The cabin you have is an aft balcony and it can accomodate 2 chairs, table and 2 chase lounges. The obstruction is probably the side so you can view forward but not side to side. We prefer the hump balconies, they are on the bump out sides of the ship and are very close to the elevators/steps and have a wider view. The balconies are not quite a large but will still accomodate 2 chase lounges. If the chase lounges are not already there, if you tip the stateroom attendant they will magically appear in several hours!:D We paid $40.00 from the airport to the Westin and $55.00 from the Westin to the pier in Miami in cab fare.

On other itineraries we liked the Tulum Ruins near Cozumel.

I was referring to the Hyatt in downtown Miami, not Hyatt Pier 66 in Fort Lauderdale.

We stayed at the Hyatt Miami a few years ago pre cruise and found it to be a good hotel. We had a huge room with a great view. It was close walking distance (15-20 minutes) or short and cheap taxi ride to Bayside and/or downtown shopping area. Short taxi ride to Port next morning.:)

We flew in to FLL night before cruise out of Miami. We stayed at FLL Hampton Inn; free b'fast and wifi plus there is a grocery store next door for those needing to purchase their own drinks to bring onboard.

We took a shuttle from hotel to Miami cruise port, I forget the shuttle's name though.

We did the Tulum ruins while in Cozumel and loved it. There is a beach at Tulum so bring your swimsuit and cut your tour a wee bit short to take a dip in the ocean.

94 days! AHHHH

I am from Boston too! We are sailing on RC Liberty of the seas in 24 days!!! Yeah! I'm flying into Fl Lauderdale but cruising out of Miami. Cheaper to fly into Ft Lauderdale from Boston "agree totally" We are staying at Holiday Inn in Ft Laudersale ($110.00) and taking Easy Express Transportation to Miami the next morning. The transportation cost was 29.00 round trip. They will take us back to the airport when we arrive back to miami. I hope this helps.:)

We didn't fly -- we drove -- but we stayed in Fort Lauderdale because the hotels were cheaper, and I have the impression that they might've been safer too.

I "won" the Hyatt Place just off I-95 for $50 on Priceline. We were very satisfied. We had a small suite with a queen-sized bed, a small living room, and a small kitchen. The stay included a good continental breakfast the next morning. The ONLY negatives were the weird "barn door" on the bathroom and the absence of a tub. Very clean. Looks relatively new. Decent little pool. I'd absolutely stay there again -- especially for that price.

From that area, we could've walked to a Burger King. Having access to a car, we drove a bit farther and (within a mile or two) found loads of restaurants and shops: I remember Fridays and Red Lobster for certain, but lots more was available. Also we stopped at CVS.

The next morning we had an easy 30-minute drive. We were literally right off the interstate, which took us right into Miami. When we reached our exit, the signs took us straight into the port. I can't suggest any shuttle service, but the drive isn't long or difficult.

Archived