Grand Princes - leave the old girl alone!

Chrisbha

I feel i have to defend the old girl having read some of the reviews from the cruise we have just been on yes. Yes she is a bit old and worn in places but arn't we all.

Ok and the lifts were a bit dodgy at time but so are the lifts in a lot of big buildings. The biggest problem we found was people being impatient and repeatedly pressing buttons.

We had no problems with the aircon in our room and neither did our friends or the people on our dining table.

It was our 1st ever cruise and one of our best holidays ever.

The staff were fantastic and could not do enough for you.

Maybe if some people weren't so rude to them (as we heard on a few occasions) they would get good service.

We thought the food was 1st class (hot and everybodys food came together) please check my waste line.

The entertainment was up to the standard of many west end shows considering how many different hows they have to put on.

Somebody wrote the people didn't want to stop at St Vincent we didn't hear any compaints.

I think Princess need to think again about Santa Domingo though. It is a typical Spanish influenced place very dirty and was very intimidating(that is nothing to do with being spanish).

As in my other thread i did have a moan about MUTS but that was a very minor thing in the grand scheme of things.

Finally ignore the comment about cancelling i'm sure you will all have a fantastic time just as we did and would not hesitate to go back on the old girl.

As we remember it, one's first cruise could be on a tugboat and be found fantastic. We do not mean to demean the old gal who has served us well in the past and hopefully again in the future. Agreed, our stateroom heating and air-condition was fine. But pity those who had neither. We could use the stairs when the elevators went bonkers time and time again but what of those who could not, such as those in wheel chairs. The ship is in dire need of upgrade and saying so is not meant to frighten future passengers but rather warn them that not all is as it should be and to be prepared.

Passengers who are subjected to these mechanical failures tend to be less happy than those of us with little problem. This can manifest itself in unfriendly attitude towards serving staff even though we all know that they are neither responsible for nor able to solve these problems. We agree completely that the saving grace of these past two cruises aboard the Grand was the wonderful staff for they too obviously made allowances for passenger attitude, knowing what was happening aboard.

I say it ALWAYS great when you can go somewhere where you don't have to clean, cook, go to the store, do laundry, or make your bed...and you get to eat 24 hours a day....I just don't think it gets better than that. If you don't like the ship or your room....go on an all day shore trip...:)

I say it ALWAYS great when you can go somewhere where you don't have to clean, cook, go to the store, do laundry, or make your bed...and you get to eat 24 hours a day....I just don't think it gets better than that. If you don't like the ship or your room....go on an all day shore trip...:)

If that is all a cruise meant to me, I could be just as happy to do time in the county jail...

Having sailed the Grand twice in 2004 and again in 2008 and now twice in 2010, I think I can justifiably say that she is now in need of an overhaul. Patina? Yes, more so than our all-time favourite, the Regal. And we have to wonder where she is now?

Archived