Things seem to have changed on the PG

new cruiser 2010

I was on the 7 day Society Island Cruise recently. After some very high expectations, I must say that I was pretty dissapointed with some aspects of the cruise.

I found that 50% of the crew were very attentive, but the other 50% did not seem to be very happy.

The staff at the Concierge were only mildly friendly, and seemed put out when I went to the desk for assistance.

It took more than 50 minutes to 1 hour to get checked in on the first day.

I agree with 2 of the recent reviews, regarding the La Veranda. It was half empty, but each cabin was only allowed to eat there one nite on the cruise. The staff at that restaurant were definitely not top-notch when it came to service.

There are many many positive reviews on this board regarding the PG. I am not sure if there is a downward trend happening with this line, or if I was cruising on a "bad week", but I am only being honest.

Certainly I will say that the experience was what a person made of it. We cruised with the idea that just laying in the sun, and enjoying the lovely location was all we needed to be happy, but there were some stark observations that could not be overlooked on that cruise.

We also, had some lei's and flowers taken/thrown out from our room by the cabin crew. I was not at all happy about that, and I feel that if I want to keep wilted flowers, that is my right! I let our cabin steward know that.

The Patrick 3/4 Day tour was what I would rate as "Average". The tour guide did not even say hello, introduce himslef, or give any site-seeing information until we were half-way around BoraBora. A good experience, but not great.

Would I book this cruise again...expecting a luxury-class experience?

Let me think about that!

Sue

I feel really sad that you didnt have a good time on the PG. But how do you know that things have changed if it is your first time.

I have to admit that of the 5 times I have been some times have been better than others.

About La Veranda being half empty they never fill it full at any one time but stagger reservations so that service can be good. Many restaurants do that in Toronto as well.

What time did you check in? I have never been longer than half an hour and that is counting the little talk on the bus, getting the luggage and finally reaching the cabin.

Hope this is just an aberration and not a trend a I certainly hope to go on the PG every alternate year at least.

I presume things have changed, since for the most part, ALL of the posts on CC rave about the PG.

If you view the 2 most recent PG reviews, you will see that those people also had some issues.

On our return trip home, we did notice a group of PG staff taking the flight to LAX...maybe 8-10 staff altogether. Maybe the group was at the end of their contract, and were just tired and needed a vacation...? Not sure, but maybe this could explain it.

I would love to hear about your trip upon your return! I hope you have a good, positive experience.

We have also been on five sailings (number six next summer).

On the VERY FEW times that I was not COMPLETELY satisified, I let the staff know and they always bent over backwards to resolve the issue.

When we sailed this last summer, we were greeted BY NAME by most of the crew as we boarded or the first time we visited a venue. Our check in took under five minutes.

Hard to believe things have changed that much since end of August!

I found everything (except the spa) to be over the top -- and I am not that easy to please.

Every cruise is different. So sorry that you did not have the cruise of a lifetime. We certainly did.

I presume things have changed, since for the most part, ALL of the posts on CC rave about the PG.

If you view the 2 most recent PG reviews, you will see that those people also had some issues.

On our return trip home, we did notice a group of PG staff taking the flight to LAX...maybe 8-10 staff altogether. Maybe the group was at the end of their contract, and were just tired and needed a vacation...? Not sure, but maybe this could explain it.

I would love to hear about your trip upon your return! I hope you have a good, positive experience.

I think we were on the same 7 nights cruise... I do agree with some of your comments, however I do have more positives than negatives.

To me, L'etoile was the one lacking service.

I'm in the process of putting together my review and hope to post it up in a couple days!

I remember by the time we got into our cabin it was closer to 8p. But this is including the ride from the airport and going thru the sloooowww custom dept.

I talked to the PG crew that was on our flight home. He was going home taking a well deserved 3 months vacay after working on PG for 8 months straight.

The Patrick 3/4 Day tour was what I would rate as "Average". The tour guide did not even say hello, introduce himslef, or give any site-seeing information until we were half-way around BoraBora. A good experience, but not great.
I'm curious if Patrick was your guide? I've read many reviews of this 3/4 day excursion & have concluded that Patrick himself is part of the magic. Those who had Patrick raved about their day - those who had other tour guides, not so much.

Quinn, we booked Patrick's 3/4 day tour last June. Due to bad weather, the captain docked in Bora Bora a day early. Unfortunately, Patrick was not available that day, but substituted one of his other guides. We had a blast! "Moreto" was his name - he was knowledgable, and very agreeable. We had a great feast, and Patrick was able to show up on the island and greet us. I have attached a photo of Moreto - a true son of Tahiti!

1152366335_morretofeet2.jpg.baa8ec82eb81044c2ae84d659bb3a756.jpg

Unfortunately, Patrick was not available that day, but substituted one of his other guides. We had a blast!
Thanks for that interesting tidbit South Seas Sue. Good to know that you had a wonderful time with someone other than Patrick. They're all adonis gods, no? But truth be told, I'd still hope to get the man himself.

We had Patrick on our excursion, but only thanks to Pachecho standing her ground. Yay for Laraine! We all thoroughly enjoyed our day but it may not have been as good with the young man that showed up to originally be our guide.

As for the PG, I thought the service was excellent and our stewardess did not throw our leis away. I did when they became extremely wilted.

Our embarkation could not have been any quicker and we were in our room within 15 minutes.

I would not have thought in 2 months the service would change this much.

Your thoughts about staff needing a vacation may have contributed, but that would still be very disappointing.

We had Patrick on our excursion, but only thanks to Pachecho standing her ground. Yay for Laraine! We all thoroughly enjoyed our day but it may not have been as good with the young man that showed up to originally be our guide.

As for the PG, I thought the service was excellent and our stewardess did not throw our leis away. I did when they became extremely wilted.

Our embarkation could not have been any quicker and we were in our room within 15 minutes.

I would not have thought in 2 months the service would change this much.

Your thoughts about staff needing a vacation may have contributed, but that would still be very disappointing.

Don't let Patrick pull a switch.

Confirm that your tour is with HIM personally.

I think it makes a big difference.

Hi there Patrice -- Bob is working on the slide show!!!!

To the OP:

YES, I think we were on the same cruise. We were also cruising with dande...a wonderful and friendly couple I must add! :D

I think the experience of each cruiser depends alot on the PG staff. I had my lei's thrown out, also. That was NOT a good thing! When the staff is fresh and not "burned out", the cruise experience is different then when the staff is on their last week of work before a vacation.

Maybe that is how I would explain it. The cruise was wonderful, NO DOUBT. But working straight for 8 months gets old, eh?

To the poster who asked about the Patrick tour:

YES, I think having the guide be Patrick may be part of the magic. We did not have Patrick, and I think he might not be leading tours anymore. I specifically requested that he lead the tour, but I didn't have the same luck as Laraine did...

I loved Bobbie's lectures, and I discovered Apple Martini's!! The Polynesian shows were super-duper. There was one little 18 month old dancer who was such a cutie.

Actually, Pinot Noir, I dont know on what basis you make these comments.

I dont think the PG has any competition at all in FP. And the price for the quality of the PG experience is quite reasonable and not overpriced as you seem to infer.The air component is high so that brings the price up but this will not be any different if you were to take a cruise out of Australia or the far east where the air component would be equally high presuming you were cruising from North America.

Further, have you been on the PG at all to bring any validity to your comments? I would rather rely on the experience and perceptions of Mtn Driver who said he had an amazing trip in June ( his fifth so he has seen before and after Regent) and Cruise Dreamer who is to go quite soon then someone who has never experienced what the PG has to offer but still takes the time to critique it from the point of view of a non experience.

The first time I went on the PG I remember Princess staff on the dock actually telling me that I made a better decision going on the PG compared to the TP - they were probably correct.

Finally, contrary to your comment I find a resurgence of interest in the PG - a number of groups are booking it and this will likely give the new PG owners time to take them past the lull in the economy. I noticed just this year that the PG was on the list of some medical conferences and read on the board that they have some photography workshops on it as well. Being such a small ship this should help fill the boat so to speak.

I grant you one thing - single ship companies almost never survive . However the unique environment in which the PG finds itself and the quality of the experience will hopefully tell a different story.

Yeah,its a real sad shame.The rumor is whether or not PG will survive.They have alot of competition that is much superior.Too bad:(

Pinot, I'm curious to the competition too! While we loved the PG, I'm always open to something new.

I'm sorry to hear that the OP's trip was not up to par... I also hope it is not a trend. We do indeed hope to return, though due to scheduling issues I don't have anything immediately books. Have to admit tough, that I read all the brochures cover to cover!

I have been worried about the survival of the PG ever since she changed management and ownership. I believe that the owners have put a lot of money into making the experience very special. But they have had to deal with the devastating downturn of tourism in FP specifically, and international tourism generally because of the world recession. I presume that the owners can only put out this wonderful experience for so long before either occupancy rates going up, or the experience degrades and they pack it in.

Let's hope those occupancy rates go up!

This was our third sailing on the PG. We had our two daughters with husbands with us. They have experience on other so called luxery lines and found the PG to be superior. Frankly, I have a hard time believing the OP's problems and think there may be some exageration here. We were in our cabins in 15 minutes upon boarding and my daughters remarked this was a first for them. We had absolutley no problems on the ship and are looking forward to a longer sailing next time. We did the Patrick 3/4 day excursion in Bora Bora. Patrick met us upon landing and said his land guide was sick so he had to take his place. Our replacement guide was witty and conversant. All attractions were great and we actually spent a full day with him. We especially enjoyed the native feast with the roast suckling pig, lobster, barbecued chicken and poi. Our son in-law got to do some fishing and gave the catch to the guide who was extremely grateful.:D

Ahab10,

Just because your experience was very nice (which I am glad to hear), you think it is that way ALL the time, huh...

I did not exagerate at all.

The things that I posted, happened as I posted.

I read the CC forum extensively prior to going on this cruise. I specifically recall a few posters who had nothing bad to say, on their posts.

However, now that I have posted, I have read some of these same posters make comments like, "On the rare occassion that we had an issue..." etc. To me this means that people tend to leave out some minor issues that they may have had.

I am just posting that on my specific cruise, things were not what I would rate as 100% flawless.

As a contributer here, I am just trying to give honest information and not sugar-coat.

I did NOT exagerate.:mad:

It is much better to have all perspectives and then those of us who are trying to decide which line and how to do a trip will have a balance. If all you hear are the positives, maybe it is some people who are easy to please and are optimitic and maybe there is a little of "make sure people go so the cruise line doesn't go under". Who knows. I am glad for your posting. Better to be forwarned.

Ahab10,

Just because your experience was very nice (which I am glad to hear), you think it is that way ALL the time, huh...

I did not exagerate at all.

The things that I posted, happened as I posted.

I read the CC forum extensively prior to going on this cruise. I specifically recall a few posters who had nothing bad to say, on their posts.

However, now that I have posted, I have read some of these same posters make comments like, "On the rare occassion that we had an issue..." etc. To me this means that people tend to leave out some minor issues that they may have had.

I am just posting that on my specific cruise, things were not what I would rate as 100% flawless.

As a contributer here, I am just trying to give honest information and not sugar-coat.

I did NOT exagerate.:mad:

Any chance you might be related to TomCruises?:confused:

I did not exagerate either. Few cruises are perfect (although 6/26/2010 might have been). I don't expect there to be no hicups, I just expect the problems to be resolved...and they ALWAYS have been (on five sailings over ten years...most recently four months ago).

I think most concerns I have had over those ten years originated with the (pre-cruise) administrative side of PG (Regent or PG Cruiselines). In every case, the onboard staff MORE than accomodated me. I don't think I have had any resonable request denied. Usually the accomodation EXCEEDED my expectation.

Ia Orana!

I certainly would not consider my husband and myself "easy to please".

If the staff are presumably so bad, do you think after one night at La Palette, the bar attendant would come up and ask, "would you like a black russian now mam?"

When I asked for one scoop of ice cream and I was given 2 scoops, and told, "we don't do one of anything on the PG", with a bow and a smile, is that bad service?

On the last night at dinner, there was no creme brulee on the menu. I enquired if it was possible to have creme brulee. Without any fuss, approx 15 minutes later, out comes creme brulee, but not just one, two! And is that really bad service as well?

This was our first cruise and I could not possibly tell you how many people who were long time cruisers told us "you have raised the bar too high for your first cruise. It will be very difficult to find another line as good as this". Well then, all these lovely respectable people must also be "easy to please".Hmmmmmmmmmm.

And, hello Laraine. I think of you often.

Thanks Mtns Driver and sandand sea lovers. I dont think any of us says the PG is a perfect experience but I find that there are two types of posters who complain ...1) the kind who have never been on the PG but complain about it anyway and 2) the Tomcruisers variety who complain that their experience is not perfect and they didnt get value for money. The first should be chased off the board as there is no validity in their comment. The second usually feels that they did not get value for their money - they expected something beyond the realm and got something real and beautiful and enjoyable but still not enough. They just didnt get the Flu. I feel sorry for them.....

I can go to the PG website or read their brochures if all I wanted was the good stuff. But I prefer to know the good & the bad so I can calibrate my own expectations to a realistic level. As a newbie to PG, I devour all the reviews written here as well as those published in CC Member Reviews. If I notice consistent themes among reviewers, I know I'm onto something. I usually discount reviews that appear to be unbalanced in either direction.

This review is simply the OP's interpretation of their experience. While it is contrary in some respects to others that I've read, I don't think that the reviewer is being misleading. Rather they are stating that their expectations weren't fully met. Fair enough. I now have additional info for consideration. I'm still very much looking forward to my PG experience, which I expect to be outstanding!

Archived