Things seem to have changed on the PG

new cruiser 2010

I'm not a "Tomcruiser" whatever that is.

And I certainly didn't post with the intent to start a fight.

My interpretation of posting is that you tell about your personal experience and pass on information that you feel might be helpful to others. I too, appreciate hearing about the good and the bad, which helps me make informed decisions.

I can see that there is a loyal and dedicated group of PG cruisers. If I caused offense with my posts, then I don't know what to say. I don't believe I owe anyone an apology for being honest.

*******sighhhhhhhh*******

Just a thought: If La Veranda is only "intended" to be 50% occupied, then maybe they should remove half of the tables.

Oct 23rd sailing

In room within 10 min, luggage was already outside

Impeccable staff and service

Superb cabin

2nd best food we've ever had at sea after Silverseas PA ll

Some of the best cruiseline excursions we've ever taken

BBQ on Taha to die for

Non cruiseline Patrick 3/4 day hilight of entire vacation

True didn't get Patrick but his guide's lobster - mahi-mahi chicken BBQ lunch

on Patrick's uninhabited motu next to the 4 seasons in a picnic table dangling our feet in the lagoon while looking at that incredible mountain is a moment in time I will remember for the rest of my life

Agreed there are some imperfect moments

Why the PG moves during dinner time when it can easily sail past 10:00p is beyond us

We also heard complaints about not being able to get reservations in both Veranda and Grill when those places were half empty, especially post 8:00p

However, these are such minor glitches especially when one compares the overall quality of this cruise to mainstream lines/ships, etc

Unlike any other ship or line we've been on, when we had a small issue, the entire staff was helpful, be it changing excursions, reservations, car reservations, etc, special orders in the dining room

This cruise is flat out, a grand slam homerun, in our book

jc n tara

toronto

newcruiser,

Sorry did not mean to put you into such a tizzy. I only questioned the veracity of your comments when you said it had gone down from the past. If you had not been in the past you were not capable of making a comparison but you could certainly speak about your own experience.

I soundly objected to Pinot Noir who has never been on the ship yet makes negative comments without the benefit of experience.

As a matter of interest did you really take an hour to get on board the ship - not from the airport but from the dock??

Usually at the end of the evening La Veranda is 100% occupied. Staggered seating is normal in any stateside restaurant ( not the fast food or Chilis type) in order that orders are fresh and hot. ONe thing to also note is that La Veranda is the menu of choice for staff entertainment - so whenever we have dined with the CD or other officers it is always here. This takes up a few tables each night.

I agree, as has been said before, that La Veranda and Le Grill are not intended to be "full", but to be serving a small, select group of passengers to ensure wonderful service.

As for embarkation, yes, this can be a bit slow sometimes. Last time our bus got stuck behind a busload of Grand Circlers or Vantagers and we had to sit in the bus for about 10 or so--that was to avoid having to stand in line in the heat. We then poured up the gangway and were taken care of pretty quickly. But the whole bus transfer thing is kind of a pain--next time, if there is a next time, we'll cab it (I always say that, but I'm cheap.)

Any chance you might be related to TomCruises?:confused:

I did not exagerate either. Few cruises are perfect (although 6/26/2010 might have been). I don't expect there to be no hicups, I just expect the problems to be resolved...and they ALWAYS have been (on five sailings over ten years...most recently four months ago).

I think most concerns I have had over those ten years originated with the (pre-cruise) administrative side of PG (Regent or PG Cruiselines). In every case, the onboard staff MORE than accomodated me. I don't think I have had any resonable request denied. Usually the accomodation EXCEEDED my expectation.

Ia Orana!

What is a TomCruises? Perhaps a celebrity or hero?Maybe an undercover travel critic?

--next time, if there is a next time, we'll cab it (I always say that, but I'm cheap.)

Me too, but I am tempted to splurge next time. I wonder if they allow a cab to pull up to the gangway? Seems like there was a gate that they opened to allow one bus at a time to aproach?

Maybe we'll try it next summer.

I have to say that our recent experience on PG for 7 nights was excellent. We thought that the meals in the main restaurant were occasionally only good, but we dinesd in the Veranda in the evening twice and were extremely pleased with the quality including the service.

We had been a little worried about how it would be before hand, but had no regrets whatsoever.

Also, we were on and off the ship in a few minutes

Yes, they do let cabs thru. But if that cab gets stuck behind a bus that's unloading, don't know what happens then. We only had to wait in our bus once, in 2008, the other times we've just walked on the ship. I guess one could always wait a bit and arrive at the ship later, but it's always so thrilling to get on the ship, one can't help wanting to do get on as soon as possible.

I find the arrival more thrilling because we begin to anticipate which of the staff will be on. Last November Efren was absolutely shocked to see us at the Piano Bar. Ivan had perused the list so he knew that we would be onboard and came by while we were at dinner to say hello. We had a waiter we had never had before Michael - he was truly wonderful and kept us both fed and entertained throughout the cruise..... those PG days.. cannot wait.

I find the arrival more thrilling because we begin to anticipate which of the staff will be on. Last November Efren was absolutely shocked to see us at the Piano Bar. Ivan had perused the list so he knew that we would be onboard and came by while we were at dinner to say hello. We had a waiter we had never had before Michael - he was truly wonderful and kept us both fed and entertained throughout the cruise..... those PG days.. cannot wait.

Emdee, all I can say is DITTO! I LOVED walking up the gangway and having Arnold greet us with "Welcome Home!".

I think I am way too excited for being seven months from sailing!:o

We are cruising soon on The Paul Gauguin

and I really cant see how any cruise is bad. Its a life experience going to sea.

We just returned from cruising 6 seas in Europe. Soom days nice, some a tad fresh. But they were all exhillirating days at sea.

Tell me its good points ...i will pass on any negative experience you had

aye aye captain....ashore...

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I did my first and only Cruise on PG back in September 2008 and I was so impressed that I am thinking on doing it again in the near future.

I'm quite well travelled and, even though not an experienced cruiser, I can recognize excellent service.

I know that some people can never be completely satisfied. That's just the way it is ! So I love reading the reviews but I like to keep an open mind (unless ALL the reviews are terrible) !

I know that since I was on my 7 day cruise, PG was sold by Regent Seven Seas and is now flying under its own colours...

I was just wondering if the exprerienced PG cruisers could tell me in what way things have changed (if at all) under the new ownership.

Are they still as many excursions to chose from ? Is everything still free onboard (ie champagne and all drinks) ? The ship was pretty much in good condition but has anything been refurbished (I read somewhere that more cabins with balconies had been added...) ? Thanks for your replies...

Jay

This was our 3rd cruise on the PG, 2004, 2007, and 2010, we took along our grown daughters and their spouses who immensely enjoyed the trip. Yes, there was a refurb. Yes, drinks are still free. (they weren't in 2004) I believe you have a greater choice of shore excursions than you had in 2007 and the food seemed somewhat better this time around (it was not bad in 2007). Our kids have been on the "big" liners and couldn't believe the level of quality on the PG. They want to do a longer cruise in 2012.:)

I can go to the PG website or read their brochures if all I wanted was the good stuff. But I prefer to know the good & the bad so I can calibrate my own expectations to a realistic level. As a newbie to PG, I devour all the reviews written here as well as those published in CC Member Reviews. If I notice consistent themes among reviewers, I know I'm onto something. I usually discount reviews that appear to be unbalanced in either direction.

This review is simply the OP's interpretation of their experience. While it is contrary in some respects to others that I've read, I don't think that the reviewer is being misleading. Rather they are stating that their expectations weren't fully met. Fair enough. I now have additional info for consideration. I'm still very much looking forward to my PG experience, which I expect to be outstanding!

I just got to reading nearly this entire thread. Quinn and I are very similar. Before I go on any vacation I spend hours upon hours reading every review I can find. Actually, I find the researching to almost be a "part" of the whole vacation experience!

In researching I'm bound to find good and bad comments and reviews. By reading through the review, I can usually gain a feeling for what type of person wrote it. Many times I can read a bad review and know that if these things happened to me it really wouldn't be a big deal, but then again I find things that would be a big deal and I make my decision accordingly. Hence, I like to read the bad along with the good.

I'm fairly easy to please and the PG totally pleased me. Was it perfect? No. But in general, life isn't perfect. I don't expect perfection, but I do want a good, quality vacation for the dollars that I've spent. On other vacations I have gone to places with a number of less than wonderful reviews. But... I knew what I was getting into when I went and when I got there it was as expected and I was not disappointed.

My overall PG experience was one of the most wonderful that I've ever had. Little touches like our server at breakfast saving my favorite table for me. The server at dinner bringing the creme brulee that he knew I loved on the last night without me even asking for it and when it wasn't on the menu. The room steward folding my clothes and arranging my shoes nicely when I had left the room in a hurry and left them in a pile on the couch.

So I guess I'm just saying I'm happy to read it all!

Archived