Poll: Would you have wanted to sail on Carnival Splendor?

CCShayne

Would you have wanted to sail on Carnival Splendor?  

890 members have voted

1. 1. Would you have wanted to sail on Carnival Splendor?

• Yes, what an adventure!
    • Yes, I'll do anything to get a free cruise!
    • Yes, it's better than not cruising.
    • Maybe -- only if I had booked a balcony cabin.
    • Maybe, as long as my kids weren't with me.
    • No, I can't live without toilets, air-conditioning and lights.
    • No, I can't eat spam and pop tarts for days.
    • No, I would have been too frightened.
    • Something else, I'll post below.

I would have survived it, would have made the best of it, but NO, I would not purposely sign up for days in the dark, no electricity, no ports, no hot showers, and really crappy food.

I was discussing this situation with a friend who is into Tall Ships and does the reenactment crew thing. In his words, it's one thing when you sign on for it, something else when it's thrust upon you. And he has the benefit of working, modern heads (even if he does have to sleep in a hammock).

No, I would not purposely book a cruise that had these problems, but...if it happens, it happens.

It definitely wouldn't be fun to have no power, no toilets, cold showers. And I really feel sorry for all the folks that had to endure it all.

From what I understand...they had food lines setup on the 3rd level and on the lido deck. So food wasn't 9 levels of stairs away. DH and I would have had problems with the stairs, we both have mobility problems. One trip per day, each way, would be doable. Not fun...but doable. And I understand that some chose to sleep on the open decks. Almost as good as having a balcony and keeping the doors open...lol. Can you imagine going to sleep gazing at the stars? Neat!!!

I'm a little surprised to see that about 80% of the responses are from a resounding yes to a maybe. Why anyone WANT to be in that situation is beyond my comprehension. ... Why would anyone WANT that on their vacation?

I believe there is a large number of Americans that want to prove they can overcome any obstacle, even obstacles that prevent them from enjoying the vacation they planned. Look how fast the "I Survived...." T-shirts sold at the dock. That's why so many people are quick to criticize when some complain out how something minor "ruined" their vacation was.

I really don't want to trivialize how bad the incident could have been or make light of the trauma it caused. And I understand the impact to those with mobility problems or maintaining medical issue, but at this time in my life I would have still been able to find a way to enjoy my vacation. Like comparisons others have already made, this sounds like it would have still been upscale from the family camping trips that made up my childhood weekends.

We always get a balcony so ventilation and light would not have impacted us as much as the people that had inside or OV cabins. We spend much of our sea days on our balcony reading books our Kindle e-readers so not too much would change there. I pack a small 2-inch by 1-inch flashlight that clips to a baseball cap brim so we could have navigated the hallways. I'm not a picky eater so the biggest issue would have been standing in lines waiting for food. To me, at least there was lines that led to food. My camera batteries may not have made it 4 days without a recharge, but that is a pretty minor inconvenience.

Then you have the 15 minutes of fame factor and a story to tell for the rest of your life.

Would I want my cruise interrupted by such an incident, heck NO. Would I make the best of it and be very happy that I was going to get a free cruise and offered a free weekend in San Diego, Absolutely.

That's exactly what happened to my cousin! He was there (Cancun) on his honeymoon...bussed over to a building, no windows, and had to virtually hold on to his scrawny (I mean REALLY csrawny, under 100 pounds) new bride for days so she wouldn't blow away.

It must have been hurricane Gilbert...not sure, I do know his anniversary is in Sept and he was married sometime in the 80's....

This story reminded me of one of my sisters honeymoons. She and ex-BIL went to The Cloister, St. Simons, Georgia. The resort had a rare snow/ice storm, and electricity went out for 2-3 days. No hot food, no heat, food ran out, plus my BIL got food poison. :eek: This was at Christmas time. Even on land, they could not leave because roads were too dangerous. Really no different than being on a ship...they were stuck.

As I only get one week of time off per year, I'd have to say "No". But, had I been on there would I have been one of the complainers? No. I'm very much a Lemonade from lemons type of person. It would have been an adventure, we usually book a balcony cabin and take the stairs. So, aside from the toilet issue and long lines for food, we would have enjoyed reading our books and playing board games.

This story reminded me of one of my sisters honeymoons. She and ex-BIL went to The Cloister, St. Simons, Georgia. The resort had a rare snow/ice storm, and electricity went out for 2-3 days. No hot food, no heat, food ran out, plus my BIL got food poison. :eek: This was at Christmas time. Even on land, they could not leave because roads were too dangerous. Really no different than being on a ship...they were stuck.

Same thing happened to friends of ours that were flying out of Denver (headed to a cruise) to celebrate their 50th anniversary.

Instead of a cruise, they got stuck at the airport for 3 days .....

and I can assure you that the airport did not open the bar for 2 days !!!

Don't you think there has been enough posts about the Splendor,? There has already been a thread about this same subject. Do we need to beat it up some more.

Totally agree with you on this.....

Hey OP...don't we have enough threads about this ship ??? And now a ridiculous poll !!! :(

I am one for adventure anyway... I love to cruise and have honestly never had a bad experience! If I had been in this situation I am sure that it would have been a dissappointment having the cruise end the second day into it , but they were safe, fed- not hot gourmet meals but fed often, and they were still off work. ( i would take a week on a ship dead in the water vs. a week on my job ANYTIME!!) Im sure it was not nearly as bad as the MEDIA has tried to make it out to be. They have tried to make it seem as if it was a regular occourance or that it could have been avoided, and that Carnival is a horrible company.....None of this is true as we all know!! It was just a freak thing that happened! No lives were lost and I am sure that Carnival did the very best that they could in the situation! I will be on the SPLENDOR in February and I cant wait!!

Anyone who lets this change their opinion of cruising for the worse is a FOOL!!! I am very impressed with the way that Carnival took care of the situation, their guests and crew over the past week on the Splendor.

It could have been much, much worse!!!!!

Bogus poll.....:rolleyes:

You are asking a question that cannot be answered. Yes, I would have booked it and since I am not a fortune teller I and others would not know what was going to happen on this cruise.....Just like buying a car that might break down or a house that would catch on fire....Silly poll....;)

No. I would've been extremely pissed over the whole situation. However, the free alcohol would've eased my frustrations.

I would've even been more pissed that they only put me up in a hotel for a night and not 3 nights. Terrible customer service decision. "I know you're on vacation and our product failed you, let's get you home ASAP."

No. I would've been extremely pissed over the whole situation. However, the free alcohol would've eased my frustrations.

I would've even been more pissed that they only put me up in a hotel for a night and not 3 nights. Terrible customer service decision. "I know you're on vacation and our product failed you, let's get you home ASAP."

I don't think (for me personally) 3 days at a hotel would be good. I'd have wanted to get home at that point myself.....

and book that free cruise, of course :D

I don't like to stay at a hotel post-cruise when the cruise is good...there is no way I'd want to after that cruise. I'd just want my own bed and my own big bathtub to soak in.

I don't think (for me personally) 3 days at a hotel would be good. I'd have wanted to get home at that point myself.....

and book that free cruise, of course :D

I don't like to stay at a hotel post-cruise when the cruise is good...there is no way I'd want to after that cruise. I'd just want my own bed and my own big bathtub to soak in.

I'm sure many people felt your way and didn't even use the 1 night Carnival offered them. I still think they should've offered 3 nights. Perhaps, throw in some free excursions that they're affiliated with or promote in SD and LA.

All your money back, free future cruise, open bar, paying to get you home and arranging that plus the hotel isn't enough???? :rolleyes:

All your money back, free future cruise, open bar, paying to get you home and arranging that plus the hotel isn't enough???? :rolleyes:

No, that was the least they could do.

The money back and free future cruise is an obvious given.

Since "bar entertainment" was available, that is a given. I'd be willing to wager money that this was the passengers' idea.

Since these people had travel plans arranged Sunday or later, and it's not easy to find a flight back home in 24 hours notice, the flight and hotel is a given. What were they going to do? Let people off the boat and say good luck to you? Let these inconvenienced people pay out of pocket to stay at a hotel when their next flight is the next evening?

Again, they could've addressed the fact that people took time off work and had planned to be on vacation until Sunday and at least offered to put them up in a hotel room for 3 nights and a few more things to salvage their vacation.

No, that was the least they could do.

The money back and free future cruise is an obvious given.

Since "bar entertainment" was available, that is a given. I'd be willing to wager money that this was the passengers' idea.

Since these people had travel plans arranged Sunday or later, and it's not easy to find a flight back home in 24 hours notice, the flight and hotel is a given. What were they going to do? Let people off the boat and say good luck to you? Let these inconvenienced people pay out of pocket to stay at a hotel when their next flight is the next evening?

Again, they could've addressed the fact that people took time off work and had planned to be on vacation until Sunday and at least offered to put them up in a hotel room for 3 nights and a few more things to salvage their vacation.

Carnival re-arranged their flights home at Carnivl's expense....Maybe you should (even though you were not there) start a class action suit on their behalf.....:p

Until REAl stories are revealed it would not be wise to trivialize this occurence. We REALLy do not know yet how bad it was. I read people got hurt tripping over things in the dark

I'm sure lots of stuff will come out

I also believe some people were not as badly off as others

IMO FIRE on any ship is not a good thing and terrifying Before we envy the FREE cruise let's find out how some pax managed I'm sure the ones on lower decks inside have lots to share I for one would have FREAKED in total darkness in a smoke filled hallway ...no free cruise could make up for that kind of terror How about the climb tp Lido deck??? how much fun could that have been

I am now EXTREMELY happy I try to always book a balcony .At least you can get air and light

Insides must have been dreadful

I hope none of these pax will be permanently traumatised

Your post sums up my feelings to a tee. Why are we trivializing this whole experience and comparing it to camping??? No compensation would have been big enough for me to go through the terror of knowing I was on the ocean, miles from land and help, knowing there was a fire onboard.

My child is special needs (autism) - that terror, though, is magnified 10 fold just imagining having her onboard. It is enough of a challenge for her to cope with all of the new sights, smells, sounds etc of a 'regular' cruise. To add darkness, the stench of no toilets, confusion, fear, no electricity, no real food (for those of you who understand autism, you can't just become 'creative' - this kid would not have eaten for the entire time onboard. ~wish there was a fear emoticon now~), it would NOT have been an 'adventure'.

The stories we are hearing now are from cruise lovers, those who may post here already. I'm wondering if we'd hear the same 'adventure' thoughts from all of the other pax?

The Splendor cruise was my worst cruising NIGHTMARE.

Bless all of you who were actually onboard. Welcome home!

No.

I don't covet the bragging rights.

Also, planning, traveling, and enjoying a long awaited cruise vacation is much more important to me than going through something like this and getting a free cruise out of it.

I would have made the best of it also, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to have been on board. Why would you want your vacation ruined?

Your post sums up my feelings to a tee. Why are we trivializing this whole experience and comparing it to camping??? No compensation would have been big enough for me to go through the terror of knowing I was on the ocean, miles from land and help, knowing there was a fire onboard.

My child is special needs (autism) - that terror, though, is magnified 10 fold just imagining having her onboard. It is enough of a challenge for her to cope with all of the new sights, smells, sounds etc of a 'regular' cruise. To add darkness, the stench of no toilets, confusion, fear, no electricity, no real food (for those of you who understand autism, you can't just become 'creative' - this kid would not have eaten for the entire time onboard. ~wish there was a fear emoticon now~), it would NOT have been an 'adventure'.

The stories we are hearing now are from cruise lovers, those who may post here already. I'm wondering if we'd hear the same 'adventure' thoughts from all of the other pax?

The Splendor cruise was my worst cruising NIGHTMARE.

Bless all of you who were actually onboard. Welcome home!

We may be trivializing because of the reports/interviews we have seen, which were all from very cheerful, UNtraumatized people.

I think most people do understand that there may be or possibly even were circumstances like yours to deal with on a (that) ship. I can't imagine how difficult going through that would have been with your child.

But, the question isn't about CCL taking care of the people who needed extra care...from reports so far it sounds like they were well on top of the situation. My question to you is about compensation...because that is what posters here get angry over, the people who think CCL didn't offer enough. Would your pain, stress and suffering been 'eased' if CCL offered a better deal afterwards???

There may have been people on that ship that this was a true nightmare for, as it would have been for you...but young, able and healthy men like "Birthday Boy Marquis" who's interview was repeated ad nauseam, is more a culprit of causing posters to trivialize the incident as well as trivialize any passengers with REAL issues.

When you get a 20-somethign year old, healthy guy on TV pissing and moaning about his birthday being wrecked, it's hard to drum up sympathy. I am SURE if any of us had seen or heard a real story of actual hardship, we wouldn't trivialize it. If anyone knows of one, please post a link. The only harship I have seen this far is the fictional tale on here of 'Nana', by one very imaginitive :rolleyes: CC poster.

No.

I don't covet the bragging rights.

Also, planning, traveling, and enjoying a long awaited cruise vacation is much more important to me than going through something like this and getting a free cruise out of it.

I would have made the best of it also, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to have been on board. Why would you want your vacation ruined?

While I agree with your feelings, you have to wrap your mind around the fact that there are people out there who DO think this would have been a cool adventure. People are all very different.

We may be trivializing because of the reports/interviews we have seen, which were all from very cheerful, UNtraumatized people.

I think most people do understand that there may be or possibly even were circumstances like yours to deal with on a (that) ship. I can't imagine how difficult going through that would have been with your child.

But, the question isn't about CCL taking care of the people who needed extra care...from reports so far it sounds like they were well on top of the situation. My question to you is about compensation...because that is what posters here get angry over, the people who think CCL didn't offer enough. Would your pain, stress and suffering been 'eased' if CCL offered a better deal afterwards???

You're right, all of us can understand different scenarios that folks may have experienced onboard. From everything I've read, the crew did a standup job and Carnival really came through for all. No argument from me there.

The compensation, in my mind, was fantastic actually. Bravo to Carnival. Would it have eased my pain, stress and suffering once I stepped foot on terra firma? Don't think so. Would I have gone after more? Nope. Probably the better question for me would be would you cruise again? I'd have to really think long and hard about it;)

Archived