what do I need?...European MAGIC 5/22

Sew4me

Help..tell me what I might forget for our family cruise PLEASE..2 adults & 2 18 yr. olds..WE WILL HAVE 2 BERTHS.

New to this cruise stuff, and I know I might forget something needed, pls. tell me what I might need out of the ordinary...

ANY AND ALL ADIVSE APPRECIATED > }

Make sure you have a large open limit on your credit card - when travelling in Europe, using your Visa, MC, or Amex is preferred as they will do the currency calculations for you and you'll generally end up with a much more favorable rate than you would get if you convert US$ to Euros.

Double check driving requirements in the countries you plan to visit if you plan to rent a car - they vary from country to country over there - your US license is generally ok, but some have age restrictions and you'll have to purchase their insurance since your US policy won't work for you over there.

BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE! Make sure it includes sufficient "evacuation" coverage in case someone is injured and needs to be flown home. It is fairly inexpensive - I use Patriot policies when travelling for health insurance - if travelling with kids, they're a lot cheaper to insure than adults, and for 3 of us travelling to Central America (considered higher risk than Europe) our policy was $34 for 2 weeks - lots of peace of mind in case of emergency

Buy adaptors for your camera chargers/personal grooming items (hair dryers, shavers, etc), I-pods, laptops, etc. as the current over there is different than here and while the plug might "fit", you could blow up your electronics

Take more memory discs for your camera than you typically use - for some reason my camera just goes crazy over there and can't help itself from taking many more pictures than normal. ;)

Remember that cultural norms are different in Europe than here - and 'when in Rome' ... Europeans typically don't wear the same type of casual clothes we do - if you plan to dine out on your own, simple clothes are fine, but you'll be more comfortable if you blend in (and get better service, too) - I usually take a pair of black slacks, a black jacket, and change tops out to add color -

Things tend to move much more slowly (more relaxed) than they do in the US. Don't expect service to be as fast in sit down restaurants as they are here - and don't get frustrated by that. Just adjust yourself to the expectation that it will take longer and plan appropriately. Also, many times the servers don't want to 'bother' you - they don't hover and check in as we're used to. You'll have to flag them down. This isn't poor service, it's just 'different' than here -

Last tip - enjoy yourself! I'm jealous - wish I was going over for one of Magic's European itins - just isn't in the budget for the time being.

First of all, your first cruise being a med cruise....great for you. You will be on a brand spanking new ship. I think in order to really give you sage advice,w e need some information. Are you doing any land travel as part of your cruise (maybe pre or post travel)? Are you flying in a day or two early? Which cruise are you on the 7,9 or 12 day?

If you are going to use credit cards - make sure you know how much they are going to charge YOU for foreign transactions. Amex is usually one of the most expensive. Some charge nothing. Most charge something.

I prefer using an ATM card and just get cash. I get the best exchange rate and my credit union charges me nothing for using it in a foreign country. Exchanging money on the ship is the worst exchange rate.

Everything on the ship will be priced in US dollars.

Almost all battery charges are dual voltage but check to see if yours are. Most are happy with anything from 100-240 volts. In your stateroom you will have both a 120v and a 240v outlet.

Join your roll call and ask lots of questions.

And, of course, follow my lead ;)

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_01_2011/index.htm

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/CarnivalMagic/May_10_2011/index.htm

I have to agree with Sargeant, I prefer cash. I bought Euros here in the states and then bought more when we needed some.

IF you are going to stay before or after your cruise, do get an adaptor. I thought I blew up my blow dryer when in fact I just shorted it out and just needed to push the little red button... lol.

Also, if you are going to stay before or after, or even if you aren't.... learn how to say please, thank you, etc for each of the countries you are visiting. Chances are they speak English, but why not try their language. You are in their country, so why not! :D

And do join your roll call. It will be of great help since this is your first cruise!

I am excited for you! We are doing a Med cruise next year too, but on RCCL. I needed a 7 day in Sept/Oct time frame and the Magic was doing 9 or 12 day cruises.

rather than inside can add %'s to the menu..so ask...get a local transport/subway card..even for just for one a few days...Barcelona TCard is 10 pass-throughs..7.85 Euros this summer..1 hr 15 min even w/ a transfer is counted as one trip thru the turnstile..tik machine will take CC's or E's. Instead of wine ask for "tinto(teentoh)..a mix of sparkling water n red wine..2x as much for 1/2 the price, and very refreshing

Before you leave check with your bank to ensure your Pin numbers will work in the European ATMs. A year ago 4 digit pins worked for me.

Check with your phone carrier, if you are using your phones in Europe you will want to add international features. Also they will tell you if some features will be wildly expensive, and tell you how to turn them off. You may want to get throwaway European cell phones.

Before you leave check with your bank to ensure your Pin numbers will work in the European ATMs. A year ago 4 digit pins worked for me.

Check with your phone carrier, if you are using your phones in Europe you will want to add international features. Also they will tell you if some features will be wildly expensive, and tell you how to turn them off. You may want to get throwaway European cell phones.

Anything other than a 4 digit pin won't work in Europe.

Also familiarize yourself with the various ATM cons and scams going on. There are a number of them, but most are just variations on a few themes.

We found people on roll calls to share private tours with-usually, alot cheaper and you see so much more. If you are going to be in Italy, I would check with RomeInLimo for private tours-the best! Only thing,if they talk about stopping at a restaurant, ask the costs-we found the places they picked for lunches were good but in southern Italy, they picked a place that cost about $75 EACH for lunch-ouch!

Archived