Passengers robbed at gunpoint in St. Kitts, did Carnival cancel St. Kitts permanently

westwingjazz

Carnival Cruise line cancel call on St. Kitts after passengers robbed at gunpoint. Does anyone know if this cancellation is permanent or just temporary? I posted a link if anyone wants to read the article.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/st-kitts-celebrity-mercury-cruise-ship-robbery-gunpoint/131361/1

Carnival Cruise line cancel call on St. Kitts after passengers robbed at gunpoint. Does anyone know if this cancellation is permanent or just temporary? I posted a link if anyone wants to read the article.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/st-kitts-celebrity-mercury-cruise-ship-robbery-gunpoint/131361/1

If they drop a port for that reason then Miami, and New York, along with LA, Tampa, New Orleans, and every other US port should be at the top of the list.

I doubt it's permenant. I mean, it's still listed as one of our ports of call on my cruise on the Carnival Miracle sailing December 29th, 2010. :D We're supossed to be inn St. Kitts on January 3rd, 2011!! :D

I mean, it's still listed as one of our ports of call on my cruise on the Carnival Miracle sailing December 29th, 2010. We're supossed to be inn St. Kitts on January 3rd, 2011!!

I'm on that sailing too, Avril, and when I check my cruise on-line I notice that there aren't any shore excursions listed for St. Kitts. Maybe it's "wait and see"? :confused:

I just checked with John Heald about this.

Carnival did stop calling at St. Kitts for a while but will return to the island on November 26...

:)

Thanks for the info mach, we leave the 27th on the Miracle and thats one of our stops. Have a dive booked there and didnt know if i was going to have to cancel.

I just checked with John Heald about this.

Carnival did stop calling at St. Kitts for a while but will return to the island on November 26...

Thank you. :) I realize now that I was looking in the wrong area for shore excursions on the Carnival website. :o

Didn't St. Kitts get canceled by most cruiselines due to crimes against tourists a couple of years ago and they were just recently added back?

Or am I thinking of a different island?

I could be mistaken, but I remember St Croix VI being removed as a port some time ago. Haven't checked lately though, as I've never cruised there, but I remember St Croix having a crime problem in the past.

I could be mistaken, but I remember St Croix VI being removed as a port some time ago. Haven't checked lately though, as I've never cruised there, but I remember St Croix having a crime problem in the past.

Every island has had a period where crime against tourists/cruisers has been in the news, St Croix, St John's, St Thomas, Nassau, Antigua, Grenada, are just a few more publicized, now St Kitts. Like a previous poster said, there's crime in NY, Miami, New Orleans, LA, Baltimore too. Now I certainly wouldn't go a town where there's a drug war going on, but otherwise, standard streetwise and travelwise precautions should prevail. Knowing a little background on each island is helpful, also a bit of the local language and geography. When an island experiences a downturn in its economy, the chances for crime increase. However, to blame a nation for the actions of a few is ludicrous.

Wow, St Kitts seems like such a quiet and peaceful place.

These things can happen aywhere. While in San Juan one cruise we ran into an elderly passenger (not sure which ship) who was robbed of all his cash and had his head split open. Don't recall Puerto Rico being dropped any time recently.

• 1 month later...

Archived