Prepare for the Bed Bugs on Carnival Inspiration

This is the story channel 8 did on our bed bug problem with Carnival cruise lines, they did not mention the bed bug bite on my scalp.

This could have all been taken care of on the boat or at the port by Carnival and they refused to inspect and or treat our luggage for bed bugs after being on the boat for 6 days.

http://video.tbo.com/m/35206250/bed-bugs-vacation.htm

The robe the bed bug was on was in the same closet all my clothes were in for 5 days, My girlfriend only used the robe the last morning because our luggage was already picked up the night before.

Our luggage was stored under the bed unzipped for 5 days.

I didn't relies i had a bite on my head until peter bernard suggested my girlfriend and i inspected each others body's for bite marks.

Just take steps to inspect your closets, beds and rooms before settling in and every day just to be sure.

There are products that are Eco friendly you can purchase before you go on vacation at Wallmart and CVS to treat your own luggage, clothes, beds, closets and rooms.

As soon as I realized the bug in our room was a bed bug I got the porter to come to our room, he took the robe and the bug @ 6:45 AM Thursday morning, When he didn't return I told my girlfriend "lets get the rest of our things and get out of this room and went to guest services.

I requested that Carnival bring our luggage back on the ship while we were still on the ship so carnival could inspect and treat our luggage, They refused, I then offered the carnival manager to let me leave the ship and get our luggage and personally bring the luggage back onto the ship to be inspected and treated for bed bugs, this request was also denied by the manager.

I was told once you leave the ship you cannot return, I then suggested to the manager that Carnival send us to a bug professional in Tampa to do an inspection and treatment, She told to me to contact the 800 number for carnival corporate, which I did at that time, they took our names and said someone would get back to us.

I was finally contacted by guest services around 4:00 Friday afternoon.

After we left the ship still at the port waiting for our bus, I contacted the Tampa Tribune who took our information and said someone would contact us.

Peter Bernard from channel 8 called and said he wanted to help us and do a story on our problem with Carnival, he contacted Mrs Olivia from carnival for a response which resulted in Carnivals response that was disappointing, as they continue to ignore me, there past paying customer!!

Carnivals response to peter appeared as though they are ignoring the fact there was a bed bug in the robe and the pictures we took of the bed bug are fictitious.

Carnival indicated they inspected the room, found no problem and put more guests in the same room.

From what I have been told these bugs come out in the dark and bite people and suck there blood.

Where there is one of these bugs there are more.

I have pictures of a real fat bug that was in our room, a mark on my scalp that appears to be a bite from a bug, documentation that Carnivals porter removed the bug from our room shortly after we woke up on our 6th day on the boat.

Because of my girlfriends dis-like of toxic chemicals I had to find an Eco friendly low toxic treatment for this problem.

Bill from a pest control company came to Deserie's home Friday morning and inspected the bite marks on my scalp, our luggage, vehicle, bedroom, all items that I took of of the ship.

Bill then went thru all the contents in my luggage one at a time over a sheet turning clothing inside out searching for additional bed bugs, eggs or signs of bed bugs.

He then treated the luggage, clothes, and all items taken off of the ship, and the bedroom we slept in last nite.

Bill also sold me an eco friendly product to treat our own clothes, vehicles, bedrooms, luggage and rooms we will stay in during future trips.

Bill also gave us instructions on how to wash and dry our clothes that may be infested with bed bugs or their eggs that may have not been detected.

I then washed and dryed all of my clothing at Deserie's home in the hottest water and drying settings her washer and dryer has.

I then took a shower and then put on freshly treated and washed clothes.

I will re pack my luggage, with the rest of my freshly treated and washed clothing, treat my vehicle, finally go to my home, treat my home and bedroom and hope no bed bugs show up in the future.

The cost will be between 750 to 1000 dollars after the second treatment of our homes and vehicles in two weeks.

I hope in the future carnival will address customer concerns when they become aware of them on the boat or at the port, not to tell customers to call the 800 number in Miami.

The current guests in cabin E 230 should hear about my problem and how I brought it to Carnivals Corporate attention and how they ignore the inconvince it causes their customers when they leave their ship with bugs, bug bites and or bug eggs they didn't have when they arrived.

My girlfriend then returned from work, we have inspected and treated her luggage, clothing and vehicle and then started washing and drying her treated clothing.

Carnivals offer of 20% refund on our cruise seems very inadequate for the time, money, and aggravation we have encountered after we left your ship.

Carnivals staff could have handeld this problem while we were still on the boat and refused.

We had to take your problem into our own hands, find Someone to resolve the problem and still may have bugs.

Today I know more about these bugs than I ever wanted to know, I went home and treat my own home and pray I never see one of these bugs again.

I will continue to cruise and treat my own room before unloading my luggage with an eco friendly bed bud spray, keep my luggage zipped when stored and visually inspect my room and body periodically for problems.

Im waiting for a pest control company to come back to our homes in 2 weeks to inspect for bedbugs before i take any further actions with Carnival.

I have contacted my lawyer about the bite on my scalp.

Ive made complaints with Broward Consumer Justice and the Better Buisiness Bureau.

If you have a concern about bedbugs, you can get a permethrin spray to treat your luggage at any drug store, or order it online. I'm not sure why you expect Carnival to treat your luggage, when you can easily do this before you leave for your vacation. Bed bugs can be tranfered to your luggage at any point in your vacation. The most likely place and time, is when your luggage is packed closely with other luggage in the cargo hold of the plane, or when it's being loaded onto the ship.

Anyone concerned should treat their luggage before they leave their house. This is the only place where it can effectively be treated. If you treat at the end of the cruise, you can still bring eggs back, etc.

Since the only logical place for the luggage to be treated is at your house, before you leave on vacation, and since Carnival cannot come to your house to treat your luggage, the only logical thing to do is to treat your luggage yourself before you pack. It's simple and inexpensive.

This is the story channel 8 did on our bed bug problem with Carnival cruise lines, they did not mention the bed bug bite on my scalp.

This could have all been taken care of on the boat or at the port by Carnival and they refused to inspect and or treat our luggage for bed bugs after being on the boat for 6 days.

http://video.tbo.com/m/35206250/bed-bugs-vacation.htm

The robe the bed bug was on was in the same closet all my clothes were in for 5 days, My girlfriend only used the robe the last morning because our luggage was already picked up the night before.

Our luggage was stored under the bed unzipped for 5 days.

I didn't relies i had a bite on my head until peter bernard suggested my girlfriend and i inspected each others body's for bite marks.

Just take steps to inspect your closets, beds and rooms before settling in and every day just to be sure.

There are products that are Eco friendly you can purchase before you go on vacation at Wallmart and CVS to treat your own luggage, clothes, beds, closets and rooms.

As soon as I realized the bug in our room was a bed bug I got the porter to come to our room, he took the robe and the bug @ 6:45 AM Thursday morning, When he didn't return I told my girlfriend "lets get the rest of our things and get out of this room and went to guest services.

I requested that Carnival bring our luggage back on the ship while we were still on the ship so carnival could inspect and treat our luggage, They refused, I then offered the carnival manager to let me leave the ship and get our luggage and personally bring the luggage back onto the ship to be inspected and treated for bed bugs, this request was also denied by the manager.

I was told once you leave the ship you cannot return, I then suggested to the manager that Carnival send us to a bug professional in Tampa to do an inspection and treatment, She told to me to contact the 800 number for carnival corporate, which I did at that time, they took our names and said someone would get back to us.

I was finally contacted by guest services around 4:00 Friday afternoon.

After we left the ship still at the port waiting for our bus, I contacted the Tampa Tribune who took our information and said someone would contact us.

Peter Bernard from channel 8 called and said he wanted to help us and do a story on our problem with Carnival, he contacted Mrs Olivia from carnival for a response which resulted in Carnivals response that was disappointing, as they continue to ignore me, there past paying customer!!

Carnivals response to peter appeared as though they are ignoring the fact there was a bed bug in the robe and the pictures we took of the bed bug are fictitious.

Carnival indicated they inspected the room, found no problem and put more guests in the same room.

From what I have been told these bugs come out in the dark and bite people and suck there blood.

Where there is one of these bugs there are more.

I have pictures of a real fat bug that was in our room, a mark on my scalp that appears to be a bite from a bug, documentation that Carnivals porter removed the bug from our room shortly after we woke up on our 6th day on the boat.

Because of my girlfriends dis-like of toxic chemicals I had to find an Eco friendly low toxic treatment for this problem.

Bill from a pest control company came to Deserie's home Friday morning and inspected the bite marks on my scalp, our luggage, vehicle, bedroom, all items that I took of of the ship.

Bill then went thru all the contents in my luggage one at a time over a sheet turning clothing inside out searching for additional bed bugs, eggs or signs of bed bugs.

He then treated the luggage, clothes, and all items taken off of the ship, and the bedroom we slept in last nite.

Bill also sold me an eco friendly product to treat our own clothes, vehicles, bedrooms, luggage and rooms we will stay in during future trips.

Bill also gave us instructions on how to wash and dry our clothes that may be infested with bed bugs or their eggs that may have not been detected.

I then washed and dryed all of my clothing at Deserie's home in the hottest water and drying settings her washer and dryer has.

I then took a shower and then put on freshly treated and washed clothes.

I will re pack my luggage, with the rest of my freshly treated and washed clothing, treat my vehicle, finally go to my home, treat my home and bedroom and hope no bed bugs show up in the future.

The cost will be between 750 to 1000 dollars after the second treatment of our homes and vehicles in two weeks.

I hope in the future carnival will address customer concerns when they become aware of them on the boat or at the port, not to tell customers to call the 800 number in Miami.

The current guests in cabin E 230 should hear about my problem and how I brought it to Carnivals Corporate attention and how they ignore the inconvince it causes their customers when they leave their ship with bugs, bug bites and or bug eggs they didn't have when they arrived.

My girlfriend then returned from work, we have inspected and treated her luggage, clothing and vehicle and then started washing and drying her treated clothing.

Carnivals offer of 20% refund on our cruise seems very inadequate for the time, money, and aggravation we have encountered after we left your ship.

Carnivals staff could have handeld this problem while we were still on the boat and refused.

We had to take your problem into our own hands, find Someone to resolve the problem and still may have bugs.

Today I know more about these bugs than I ever wanted to know, I went home and treat my own home and pray I never see one of these bugs again.

I will continue to cruise and treat my own room before unloading my luggage with an eco friendly bed bud spray, keep my luggage zipped when stored and visually inspect my room and body periodically for problems.

Im waiting for a pest control company to come back to our homes in 2 weeks to inspect for bedbugs before i take any further actions with Carnival.

I have contacted my lawyer about the bite on my scalp.

Ive made complaints with Broward Consumer Justice and the Better Buisiness Bureau.

Can you please give the name of the eco friendly bug spray that can be purchased at WalMart and CVS? I would love to take some along and treat the room we when we first get on board on our next cruise. Sounds like a horrible problem, hope you don't find any more bugs in your things. Thanks in advance.

Must be a bed bug on steroids...they are NOT that big..and where were all the others ...after all they do multiply +++++. Sorry the OP felt at risk, but it sure sounds like someone just wants to get a lawsuit out of the deal !

OP- Sorry you had to deal with the problem of potential bed bugs. My son's dorm had them and they are a real pain in the butt to exterminate. But as i was reading, I was wondering. What kind of compensation do you think Carnival should provide. Evidence has clearly shown that bed bugs are not the result of a "dirty environment" or something carnival did wrong. I am not flaming or hating on your post but it seems like you are dissatisfied and basically trying to smear them through the mud for this incident. Do you know if any other cabins (on your ship) had infestation problems. I know that when my son's dorm had them, they were all over the place. It seems like there might be some more complaints about the bugs on this ship but I havent heard. Just wondering.

Hope your scalp is better, too.

D

I have bad skin issues. So with that being said I have to be super sensitive to bed bugs. You need to wash sheets weekly in hot water to prevent them etc. Now that being said. I am paranoid. Bed bugs are my worst fear in life. Never had them hopefully never will. I also know that bed bugs don't just bite once and hidden. You would have had little bites all over your body. So I highly doubt there was a infestation. I think you are just trying to get money. And I bet you will " sue for damages" Good Luck with that

Bed bugs are a real issue for the hospitality industry

those 'consumers' who down play, minimize, or ignore them are doing EXACTLY what the industry wants them to do.

The more nay-sayers...the better.

Fact is- you should assume your stateroom has them. When you enter for the first time, take a flashlight (with lights out) and inspect the room concentrating on the mattress and bed.

Find poop or other signs- take out your camera and start snapping shots...lots of them. Heck, for good measure ensure your SS card is in the shot so you can date stamp the picture- no question of when it was taken!

Then grab your things (provided you haven't unpacked) and high tail it out of there!

Go to guest services and request another room (following the same procedure). If they say there are no other rooms you tell them that you paid for a room and have a right to a room without bugs...then without showing them the actual pictures...just show the camera- let them know you have taken plenty of shots.

They will give you another room or fly you home and give you a free cruise- to make up for the one you're about to lose.

But please don't mistake a roach or other bug for a bed bug. Pests are something we all have to deal with.

I'm sorry...it's just that I have never heard of a bed bug BITE (singular)

Usually a person awkens with bites...numerous over their body (never heard of a bed bug bite on the head)

This whole thing is just way too weird.

Google the following: Permethrin spray, then go to Permethrin Spray, PERMETHRIN SPRAY; you will receive all kinds of information. On that site you can check out what would be best for your wants. We picked a water-base spray 3 bottles of 6 oz each, good for travel,

plus we have three trips coming up. If everyone would treat their staterooms Carnival would have one less worry LOL.

Wish Carnival would relax the booze rules but stop people from bring on home pillows and blankets.

Considering Tom hasn't provided any proof of an infestation and that he's been spamming this forum all week, I'm pretty sure he's the rude one.

What proof would you like?

Maybe he could send you a bedbug in the mail!

Why do so many people think that the standard complaint post is here is always a lie?

Why do so many people think that the standard complaint post is here is always a lie?

People don't think that the standard complaint post is a lie. This one has been posted and removed at least half a dozen times. The facts as explained by the OP do not add up to his conclusion. That is why people find it unbelievable.

The OP has no idea what a bed bug looks like. It is almost impossible to find a single bed bug and when you have bed bugs you do not get a single bite. While the Op may have had a bug in his cabin and may have been bitten it was most certainly NOT a bed bug.

Can you please give the name of the eco friendly bug spray that can be purchased at WalMart and CVS? I would love to take some along and treat the room we when we first get on board on our next cruise. Sounds like a horrible problem, hope you don't find any more bugs in your things. Thanks in advance.

He never has found a single bedbug in his things.

There is no proof that the eco friendly bug spray kills anything except by direct contact, and I suspect you have to spray so much on the suckers that they drown.

I'd like to see the picture to which he keeps referring. I'd like to see pictures of evidence of an infestation. Perhaps an exterminator's report.

I don't think the standard complaint post is a lie.

And I have no doubt in my mind that this guy found a bug of some nature in his cabin.

I do, however, believe he is victim of the bedbug hysteria that is gripping the nation instead of calming down and approaching this situation like an adult, he is having tempertantrums that CCL (and Cruise Critic) aren't giving him what he wants.

Im just trying to making others aware of a problem i had with bed bugs on a cruise ship and how you can take precautions so it may not happen to you.

Not bed bugs Tom, a SINGLE bed bug (maybe), and it wasn't a problem. The precautions you suggest won't do anything on a cruise ship except cause the passenger to waste time and money.

Apparently Carnival will not help their customers with bed bug problems while there still on the ship or Pay the expensise encurred after you leave the ship with their problems.

You have had no problems with bed bugs, Tom.

Carnival did offer me a 20% refund on that cruise, Im waiting for 2 weeks to see if other bed bugs show up im our homes before i make any decisions.

That is more than a single alleged bedbug is worth. But you keep demanding more. Let it go.

To the OP, Tom!

Anyone and all can come on here, the message board of cruise critic and make a statement or a complaint, but you have to be able to back it up. And you have to be prepared to answer the respondents questions. Even in the end if we all agree to disagree, at least you have responded to specific questions re; your complaint! Just saying....!

The reason the stewerd cant find any bedbugs..Is they only come out in complete darkness. When the lights are turned on or curtains opened. they go back into hiding. At least that pasenger didnt stay on the V deck..Thats where im staying on Sat.

Archived