Prepare for the Bed Bugs on Carnival Inspiration

bed bug eggs are microscopic, they didnt find anything durring the inspection, most people never see these bugs they hide in the dark and only come out in the dark and suck blood from humans.

Does this now mean that you are immortal and your skin sparkles when you're in direct sunlight?:rolleyes:

Im just trying to bring this to other cruisers attention, I wish i had a carry on product when I went on this cruise, Ill have the product when I sail Royal out of Tampa on Dec 11th.

Id also like Carnival to cover my out of pocket cost to treat our homes, vechiles and luggage, they could have avoided this by treating on the ship as we requested, I hope they put into place a policy of helping customers with these concerns or make products avalable for customers on the boat to treat their own things when bed bugs are discovered.

They come out at night and are hard to detect. Since they can often remain unnoticed while breeding an even larger population, it can frustrate those trying to find them while having to battle infestations.

bed bug eggs are microscopic, they didnt find anything durring the inspection, most people never see these bugs they hide in the dark and only come out in the dark and suck blood from humans.

Since you now have said twice that they only come out at night and are microscopic, how did you in fact catch one and only one and take a picture of it?

Must be a bed bug on steroids...they are NOT that big..quote]

Not true, look it up. A lot of people have the misconception that bed bugs are microscopic and cannot be seen by the naked eye. At full adult maturity they are quite large. Much bigger than a flea.

Devil's advocate here: Some people are allergic to bed bug bites, but while it's not a nice thing to endure, bed bugs do not transmit any diseases to humans. Mosquitoes can and do transmit diseases - dengue fever, malaria, nile,etc......should I sue Carnival if a mosquito bites me?

If you really contacted a lawyer you really need to get over yourself. Some people will do anything for a little attention and money. If said bug even existed.

For the record I just got off the inspiration last week and had no problem. Although I did gain some weight...maybe I should call my lawyers because they put my health at risk by serving so much food.:rolleyes:

Im just trying to bring this to other cruisers attention, I wish i had a carry on product when I went on this cruise, Ill have the product when I sail Royal out of Tampa on Dec 11th.

Id also like Carnival to cover my out of pocket cost to treat our homes, vechiles and luggage, they could have avoided this by treating on the ship as we requested, I hope they put into place a policy of helping customers with these concerns or make products avalable for customers on the boat to treat their own things when bed bugs are discovered.

Without proof of a single bed bug in your homes, vehicles, or luggage why should Carnival pay for your overreaction?

The carry on product you mention does nothing unless directly applied to a bed bug, and even then, there are less expensive, just a safe products that will do the same thing. Also, there is no such thing as a bed bug repellent.

You can definately see bed bugs. They are NOT microscopic as some think. The first thing you should do when staying anywhere other than your home is pull the sheets back and look in the folds of the mattress. If the place has bed bugs, you will see the signs there. I worked in Public Health and inspected hotels and that's the place where we'd find them. And in the daylight. Yes, they do come out at night and bite repeatly, but if there is an infestation, they will be on the mattress, in the corners of the rooms, on the backboard of the bed and on the lampshades. Believe me, I'VE SEEN IT. If there is a true infestation, there is a lot of work that has to go into exterminating that room.

Must be a bed bug on steroids...they are NOT that big..quote]

Not true, look it up. A lot of people have the misconception that bed bugs are microscopic and cannot be seen by the naked eye. At full adult maturity they are quite large. Much bigger than a flea.

While this may be true, is it common to have one, lone bed bug in a room???

I thought bed bugs were like roaches..if you see one, there are thousands....

I would think if their room was infested with bed bugs, they'd have had the *bleep* bit out of them and would have been full of bite marks by the end of that sailing...not just one bite (on the head....)

Again, the idea that the media (the OP's local news station) was happy to jump on this is kinda sad....

bed bugs are a real issue everywhere I am not going to downplay that...but this is kinda ridiculous if you ask me.

I have a still picture that we inlarged then looked on google for bed bugs, the porter agreed it was a bed bug.

Can you post the picture??

The only way to confirm it was a bed bug is to exam the actual bug found in the cabin. You should have caught the invader and had it examined by an exterminator.

Anybody that says you overreacted has never had bedbugs I am sure. Years ago I was living in a dormitory type dwelling and they spread like wildfire.Some of the people living with us said they were following treatment procedure,but they werent,so they kept coming back.I ended up moving.

Maybe if there was only one....he rode in on your luggage. He could have jumped onto your luggage while it was in the bin with other luggage.

I have visions of a bed bug adventure cartoon...he could be from anywhere :D

Just saying :o

I was going to stay out of this, but I have to respond. For those who say one bedbug is NOT an infestation, its just not true.

You can look at my posts from Sept. of 2007 and see that I in fact, brought home bedbugs from our Miracle cruise. I didn't just wake up one morning and find thousands, my husband happened to see something crawling on my pillow, at 5PM I might add, and crushed it thinking it was a tick. When he saw another one a few days later, we investigated and found the infestation under our boxspring. So, you can see just one bedbug and still have an infestation, and they do mostly come out at night, but a straggler may come out looking to feed at any time.

At the time, I didn't feel Carnival should be held accountable, since we sailed out of NY and many people from all over come in a few days early to sightsee and such, so how could anyone know who brought them on?

Now, I hope you will see that in the near future, trains, buses, cruiseships, retail stores, etc. will have to be treated regularly to prevent these infestations.

At the very least, people should become aware of how to prevent them. I have said this many times. Don't put your luggage under the bed, check the bed, and keep your clothes in plastic zip lock bags. With a little precaution, you can prevent any bedbug problems.

Sorry, I don't see how filing a lawsuit will help.

Can you post the picture??

The only way to confirm it was a bed bug is to exam the actual bug found in the cabin. You should have caught the invader and had it examined by an exterminator.

Here's a picture of the one from the video link he posted. If this is the 'free cruise' bug that earned a negative news segment and caused so much anguish, I have to wonder why they didn't just kill it? Killing it would have been eco friendly and would have made sense.

2678379620065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

The bug in the video is way too large and way to fast moving to be a bed bug. I guess the best way to prevent any bugs from getting on a ship would be to warehouse them in a dry dock vacume? They set outside, in the ocean exposed to all Mother Nature has at her disposal to throw at them; how could they ever be bug free?

Tom really needs to get a reality check; one bug does not equal a free cruise.

Here's a picture of the one from the video link he posted. If this is the 'free cruise' bug that earned a negative news segment and caused so much anguish, I have to wonder why they didn't just kill it? Killing it would have been eco friendly and would have made sense.

2678379620065094172S600x600Q85.jpg

The bug in the video is way too large and way to fast moving to be a bed bug. I guess the best way to prevent any bugs from getting on a ship would be to warehouse them in a dry dock vacume? They set outside, in the ocean exposed to all Mother Nature has at her disposal to throw at them; how could they ever be bug free?

Tom really needs to get a reality check; one bug does not equal a free cruise.

I saw the video and the bug is too blurry to actually tell whether it was a bed bug or not.

The OP said that he had pictures. I would like to see a clearer picture than what was on the video so we can all decide for ourselves whether or not it was a bed bug. Only then should we pass judgment.

I'm sitting at my computer, reading the posts in this thread and feeling itchy all over..:D That's what a good imagination can do to you.

As someone in here mentioned, bed bugs are great travelers and they could just as easily have been picked up at a restaurant or at a hotel prior to cruising (not sure that was the case here)? Or they could have picked up a bedbug at a movie theatre several days prior to their trip. There is no way to prove the bedbug(s) were a Carnival problem and not something the OP brought onboard.. A gravid female bedbug can reproduce a colony within a short time. The bites are usually in rows of bites and, while the thought of an infestation may be unpleasant, they are nothing to panic over (I lived in Brazil and know this first-hand). They are not nearly so terrifying as spider bites, which in some cases can resemble bedbug bites, but which can be much more dangerous. Then, as someone else mentioned, a mosquito bite can carry Malaria, Dengue Fever and West Nile Fever. Now that we can no longer use DDT, bedbugs are going to be a continuing problem.

I was going to stay out of this, but I have to respond. For those who say one bedbug is NOT an infestation, its just not true.

You can look at my posts from Sept. of 2007 and see that I in fact, brought home bedbugs from our Miracle cruise. I didn't just wake up one morning and find thousands, my husband happened to see something crawling on my pillow, at 5PM I might add, and crushed it thinking it was a tick. When he saw another one a few days later, we investigated and found the infestation under our boxspring. So, you can see just one bedbug and still have an infestation, and they do mostly come out at night, but a straggler may come out looking to feed at any time.

I understand that...I do have a question...did you incur any bites? Were there bugs in your mattress or just the boxspring?

I just wondered how the OP could have had bed bugs in the cabin and not been bit??

Side note:

I was talking to my DD about this (because she is in the hospitality business) She told me that it is so expensive to get an exterminator to treat for bed bugs (plus, it may not work) that they are now (at the hotels she deals with anyway) just tossing out the entire mattress (and box spring if necessary) because it's cheaper to do that than chemically treat. The hotels take this very seriously.

I imagine if things get any worse, we're all going to see your hotel fares rise in order to make up for this...

Google the following: Permethrin spray, then go to Permethrin Spray, PERMETHRIN SPRAY; you will receive all kinds of information. On that site you can check out what would be best for your wants. We picked a water-base spray 3 bottles of 6 oz each, good for travel,

plus we have three trips coming up. If everyone would treat their staterooms Carnival would have one less worry LOL.

Wish Carnival would relax the booze rules but stop people from bring on home pillows and blankets.

As someone who's allergic to permethrin, I really hope everyone doesn't start treating their own rooms. :( If the prior occupants sprayed this stuff all over I would spend my cruise with my eyes swollen shut and unable to breathe. I used to have to have a rider on my lease when I lived in an apartment years ago that they wouldn't spray my apartment because of it.

The other issue is overuse of this type stuff. Pesticides have to be very carefully applied in the correct quantities and concentrations - this stuff isn't just toxic to bugs! The problem is that people think more is better and keep hosing more and more of it into their house or yard (or stateroom I guess.) Hubby has a pesticide license for his job - yet says that overuse of the stuff is a bigger problem than the pests themselves. You spray down the linens, which then get washed, and the wash water is discharged containing pesticide residue. This isn't far-fetched - our rivers and streams are full of that type stuff and it comes from various chemicals being overused where they can run-off or where they end up in the water supply by going down the drain.

Bed bugs are a horrible problem if you contract them. But don't be paranoid about it. And I think it's BAD advice to self treat. Inspect your room when you get there and before you unpack. If you find them, then contact a manager (cruise OR hotel) immediately. They don't want them any more than you do. But let the professionals handle the pest treatment if necessary - those who have been trained and have a license on how and when and how much of the stuff to use as well as what types of chemical for which situation.

As someone who's allergic to permethrin, I really hope everyone doesn't start treating their own rooms. :( If the prior occupants sprayed this stuff all over I would spend my cruise with my eyes swollen shut and unable to breathe. I used to have to have a rider on my lease when I lived in an apartment years ago that they wouldn't spray my apartment because of it. QUOTE]

When I ordered my bedbug killer spray I had you and the next guest in mind. Once used, it will only last for one week, but great for our suitcases before we travel and for the trip home. Mind over matter is priceless!

Archived