Refilling your own cup

atreehuggingirl

So I have spent way too many hours on here reading, reading, and more reading in preperation for our first cruise! The one question I have not been able to find an answer to is this....Can you bring your own cup, water bottle or what ever and have them refil it? I hope they dont use throw away plastic cups like a lot of the all inclusive resorts...I just hate seeing all that plastic head for the land fill. My smart brain tells me no, as it is probably a health code violation so hopefully they just have a lot of glasses to wash!

Thanks so much for your help

Most places don't like you filling your water bottle at public water dispensors- it is a bit of a health problem. People tend to jam the opening of the bottle right up to the spigot. But you are welcome to fill it in your cabin.

If you are talking a cup or glass, no problem.

What do you want put in the cup?

If water, iced tea, coffee, hot tea, all are available at the buffet. They do ask you not to refill a used cup directly at the buffet. This can transfer germs to the dispenser and spread them thru out the ship. We bring a few empty plastic bottles and refill them by filling a clean glass and pouring it into the bottle.

thanks thats kinda what I was thinking, the bottle I use is a wide mouth nalgene water bottle, I will just fill it in my cabin.

If you prefer the water cold, you can either add ice (delivered twice a day by your cabin steward) or put it in the mini-frig, or both.

I bring a nalgene sports bottle and refill it in the buffet area. I have used the method of filling a glass with ice and pouring it into the bottle, although my mouth only touched the cap, not the bottle itself. One time when I was preparing to use the glass method, one of the wait staff was there and he just took the bottle and filled it directly, ignoring the sign to do otherwise. EM

My wife takes her insulated coffee mug with her on our cruises and has never had any problem filling it or having a crew member fill it in the Lido. The cups on HAL are too small for her and they cool down rapidly. She is an RN and is careful about how she refills it. We also refill our water bottles in our cabin--again, no problem.

I take my own mug with a tight fitting lid, and refill it in the buffet by filling a ships cup, then pouring it into my mug. The tight fitting lid is a lifesaver, trying to carry a full cup of whatever beverage across a room.

Do be careful though to not press your mug up to the spout or otherwise contaminating..or risk getting contaminated..from the dispenser...

One time when I was preparing to use the glass method, one of the wait staff was there and he just took the bottle and filled it directly, ignoring the sign to do otherwise. EM

Usually the staff members are much more careful to not touch the lip of the container to the spigot, therefore avoiding spreading germs. Most passengers aren't as aware that they need to avoid touching the two areas together, hence the signs.

I wouldn't bring my own.

Isn't it nice that you have that choice?

A cruise isn't BYOC (bring your own cup).

Of course it is. If one chooses to do so.

After 13 cruises you haven't seen people bring their own cups? I've seen many on every cruise I've been on.

I know for sure that Princess uses glass or plastic cups. I wouldn't bring my own. A cruise isn't BYOC (bring your own cup). :rolleyes:

The cups the cruiselines use are tiny! Bringing your own cup, especially insulated for hot or cold drinks makes absolute and complete sense. I take my own when I travel, cruise or not.

I always bring my own mugs. Usually ones from the previous cruise that i bought with the soda pkg. I like to fill it up with iced tea and take to the pool. It doesn't touch the lip of my mug and never had any problem with any staff.

Never even thought it would be a problem.

Guess I am confused? Where is the contamination coming from? If you have an adult "sippy" cup or coffee mug with lid, nothing your mouth touches would be touching the refill spout?

And in any event, can't picture how this would be more unsanitary then any fast food restaurant that has free refills? Or are cruise ship dispensers designed much differently?

No, the dispensers aren't designed any differently on cruise ships. But given that you have a lot of people in close quarters on a ship, every additional thing that can be done to avoid the spread of disease is a good thing.

I take a wide-mouthed nalgene bottle on my cruises with me, and fill it using the non-disposable plastic glasses (gee, there's an oxymoron!) of water set out in the buffet area.

Archived