Celebrity Summit Review (November 13-20, 2010)

deladane

Then it was dinner time...

BG

BG

Chicken Spring Rolls:

BG

Saffron Shellfish Broth (I am fairly certain they were STILL trying to get rid of the left overs from dinner two nights ago haha):

BG

Classic Seafood Fettucine:

BG

Passion Fruit Cheesecake:

BG

Thanks for the continuing review and more photos. Glad you found Aqua Spa Cafe. I know this is where i will head if I happen to be on the ship for lunch (mostly have full days in port) as I'm not a big fan of buffets. Hope it is open on embarkation day.

How much were the spice baskets in Grenada? Would really like to pick some up for gifts.

How much were the spice baskets in Grenada? Would really like to pick some up for gifts.

I think they were like $5 each for the small baskets if you bought them individually, or they were asking $20 if you wanted to buy a pack of 6 baskets. I bargained it down to $15 for the 6 baskets, but a woman from my dinner table got it for $12! I think I did pretty well though... I paid $40 total for:

6 little spices baskets

2 bags of whole nutmeg

2 scented soaps (vanilla and cinnamon)

4 small bottles of vanilla (fingers crossed that it's not diluted haha)

1 large jar of guava jam

4 bags of cocoa balls (6-7 balls per bag)

Some of the women are hard to bargain with, and I gave in fairly quickly... I'm sure if I kept going, I could have paid less but oh well!

Would you happen to have a menu from the Aqua Spa Cafe? Is it cafeteria style or do you order off a menu?

gene

Sorry, no menus as it is cafeteria style! They do list what each dish is above it on the buffet line, and I think the dishes change every day. For lunch, I think they had 4 entree options (of which, I took 2 of them), and some soups and desserts too.

A couple more questions for you:

1. How are the facilities at Grand Anse Beach (bathroom, showers, etc)? Did you notice any restaurants there if we decide to stay there for lunch and get a couple of drinks?

2. How's the nightlife like during this cruise -- for example, the deck parties, dancing at the nightclubs, etc? We are in our 30's so do you think we'll find people our age to hang out with?

Thanks again for all the great pics and info and answering all of our questions.

A couple more questions for you:

1. How are the facilities at Grand Anse Beach (bathroom, showers, etc)? Did you notice any restaurants there if we decide to stay there for lunch and get a couple of drinks?

I didn't use the facilities at the beach, but I noticed they had toilets for a $1 charge. Not sure about showers though because I didn't go in. When you get off the pier from the water taxi, there is a bar immediately to the left and I think they were serving food too. I was talking to some people as they drank $8 pina coladas and a $6 beer haha There were some picnic tables with umbrellas right in front of the bar, so I assume they serve food but I'm not 100% positive as I knew I wanted to try the Aqua Spa Cafe that day.

2. How's the nightlife like during this cruise -- for example, the deck parties, dancing at the nightclubs, etc? We are in our 30's so do you think we'll find people our age to hang out with?

Honestly, I was really on this cruise more for the daytime experiences in port than for the nightlife on the ship. Plus I had the 8:30 dinner time, so by the time we were finished eating at 10:30, I was exhausted and ready for bed. I woke up around 7am most days to get as much time off the ship in port, so that didn't leave much time for the night clubs haha I had to miss the embarkation night sail away party on the deck because it was at the same time as my fixed seating for dinner. The one time I did make it to Revelations was on the night that I missed the theater show... They were having a Dancing With The Stars type of competition, which paired a passenger with a member of the crew. It was a lot of fun to watch (I definitely did NOT participate! haha), but I left after the winner was announced. I do know that after I left, they had a 60's theme dance party.

In terms of the age of passengers on the ship, I was pleasantly surprised that there were plenty of people in their 30's. I'm not sure how active you are, but it helped that I did some more physical activities while I was in port because that tends to attract younger people and that is how I met most of my new friends :) That said, the people I ate dinner with for most of the cruise were in their 50's, and I had so much fun sitting with them. People probably heard us laughing on the other side of the MDR! Peter the maitre 'd came over every night to see what was so funny! haha If you are open to it, you can meet so many people on your cruise... of all ages!

Thanks again for all the great pics and info and answering all of our questions.

I hope that helps!

We have decided to not eat dinner in the MDR on formal nights and just eat at the International Buffet. Did you ever eat dinner in there? What nights were the formal nights on your cruise?

OP answered this question on another recent thread about the International buffet:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1313831#post27015910

Deladane -- Just wanted to say THANK YOU!!! You've done a great job recapping information, sharing very detailed information and including pictures. I've truly enjoyed your review and greatly appreciate the time you've spent to compile all of the information! Glad you had such a great time!

Thanks, it would be very nice to have this before I leave. I am on the 4 Dec. Summit and very ready for this.

Anne

I'm so sorry Anne! I just looked through my pile of Celebrity Today, and I can't find the list of officers. I thought it was included on Embarkation Day, but perhaps it was on a second piece of paper that got misplaced because I can't find it. Maybe someone else from my sailing has the information?

Thursday 11/18: Scarborough, Tobago, in port from 8am-5pm

After a late breakfast at the buffet, I headed off the ship in search of people with whom I could share a taxi to the beach. I went to Pigeon Point Beach ($20 taxi each way for up to 4 people, or $30 if you need a van taxi that holds up to 6 people, plus $3 per person entrance fee to the beach) and it was everything I wanted it to be. I had been waiting all week for the typical Caribbean beach lined with huge palm trees and clear blue water, and Pigeon Point Beach had it all! Here's a picture of the beach:

BG

When you first arrive, there is a pier with several glass bottom boats waiting to take passengers on a 2-hour snorkeling/swimming excursion. The guy wanted to charge me $20, but thanks to the reviews I had read on cruise critic, I knew the price should be only $15 and he immediately lowered the price when I called him on it. It definitely pays to do your research or they will rip you off wherever they can!

Glass Bottom Boat:

BG

They piled about 20 people into the boat and we went off shore for 30 minutes to reach Bucco Reef. They gave us life vests and snorkel equipment (apparently for no extra charge, although I had brought along my own equipment), and let us snorkel for about 30-45 minutes. The reef was really interesting, with a ton of coral in different shapes, sizes, and colors. There were a few fish, but not as many as I had hoped. Here's one of my snorkeling photos:

BG

Then we got back on the boat and went over to Nylon Pool, named because the water is as clear as fishing nylon. The best part about this area is that even though it is very far from shore, it is shallow enough that I could stand (and I'm only 5'2") The bottom is just soft sand, so we relaxed in the water for about a half hour and it wasn't tiring because we didn't have to actually swim! Here is a picture of me standing in the water (notice how far away the shore is in the background!):

BG

This is such a great review and the pictures are phenomenal......

Also, I wanted to say hi to Lois......(hey Lois!) she was the person who inspired me to go solo on Celebrity....glad to see another solo cruiser who took the plunge and had a fantastic time!!!!!

My first solo on Celebrity was on the Summit...she is a very special girl.....I am really looking foward to seeing her up close and personal in April.....

I have cruise envy so bad right now....it is almost unbearable to see your photos and read the menus.......

Thanks again.....you are terrific!!!!!!

I had one question....I see you boarded very early...my April trip leaves out of Puerto rico as well and I assumed I would have to alter my normal arrival time (11:30 am)........ is it true you can board early even though departure time is 8:30 pm?

After that, we got back on the boat and headed back to the beach. I spent some time walking around the beach and enjoying the beautiful scenery:

BG

Tons of shade from the palm trees:

BG

BG

By this time, I was hungry and ready for lunch so I bought a $6 fried shark platter with french fries and salad from one of the 3 or 4 vendors selling food. The food was great!

BG

There were a few picnic tables under the palm trees where we could sit and eat and relax, so I spent the next hour or so there, then went to go meet our taxi driver as we had asked him to pick us up at 3pm. It was a good thing we planned to leave the beach so early because the ride back to the ship took a full hour (as opposed to the 20 minutes it took to get to the beach that morning!)... be aware that there's a lot of traffic in the afternoon, so definitely leave enough time to get back to the ship before it sails away!

This is such a great review and the pictures are phenomenal......

Also, I wanted to say hi to Lois......(hey Lois!) she was the person who inspired me to go solo on Celebrity....glad to see another solo cruiser who took the plunge and had a fantastic time!!!!!

My first solo on Celebrity was on the Summit...she is a very special girl.....I am really looking foward to seeing her up close and personal in April.....

I have cruise envy so bad right now....it is almost unbearable to see your photos and read the menus.......

Thanks again.....you are terrific!!!!!!

I had one question....I see you boarded very early...my April trip leaves out of Puerto rico as well and I assumed I would have to alter my normal arrival time (11:30 am)........ is it true you can board early even though departure time is 8:30 pm?

Hi Mary Lou:), thanks! Good to see you as well and I agree, this

is one of the best reviews I have read in a long time and the pictures

are wonderful:)

Yes, you can board the ship early even when she sails late. (I have

done everytime I have sailed from SJU)

Tonight was our second formal night, so I went right back to my room to get ready. Since the big theater show wasn't until after dinner, I went up to Revelations lounge to see the acappella group perform. The group is called "These Guys", comprised of 4 men in their 20's, and they are fantastic!! I went to a few of their performances throughout the week, and they sang different songs every time. Their harmonies are on pitch, and they are fun and entertaining, and I highly recommend checking them out if you get a chance. Then I went to dinner, with the following menus:

BG

BG

Wild Mushroom Vol-au-vent:

BG

Salmon Gravlax:

BG

Lobster Melange (it was a really nice touch when my waiter went around and removed the shell from everyone's lobster tail!:

BG

For dessert, all of the waiters and assistant waiters walk around the dining room with Baked Alaska on Parade, and they make a big to-do about cheering for your waiter. There were no other options for dessert that night, so I guess you are out of luck if you don't like ice cream cake!

BG

After dinner, I went to the show, which was a broadway production medley. In between some of the song and dance routines, they focused on some specific shows, like Les Mis and Titanic. I'm really not sure who's brilliant idea it was to perform songs from a show about a sinking cruise ship while on a cruise ship, but sure enough they did it! Probably not one of my favorite parts of the week haha The rest of the show was okay though.

I'm so sorry Anne! I just looked through my pile of Celebrity Today, and I can't find the list of officers. I thought it was included on Embarkation Day, but perhaps it was on a second piece of paper that got misplaced because I can't find it. Maybe someone else from my sailing has the information?

Not to worry. :) I will find out next week. Thanks so much for trying.

Anne :)

Archived