The Story of our trip to Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador & Galapagos Trip 31.7 to 15.8.10

caramelo

Sunday, 15th of August

We were sorry that the cruise or expedition to the Galapagos was over. The departure was similar to our arrival with the transfer to the airport in the zodiac boat with our luggage. Our flight with the line "AEROGAL" from Baltra to Guayaquil was at 11:40am arriving in Guayaquil at 2:10pm

dsc02541b.jpg

dsc02542my.jpg

dsc02544u.jpg

dsc02545fu.jpg

dsc02546v.jpg

dsc02555i.jpg

dsc02581sa.jpg

dsc02609g.jpg

Guayaquil, officially Santiago de Guayaquil, is the largest and most populated city of the Republic of Ecuador with a population near 3 million. The urban area of Guayaquil is ranked among the largest cities in Latin America.

The city got its name after an Indian chief Huancavilca "Guayas" and his wife, "Quil. " The Guayas and Quil (or Kil) Legend says that prisoner Indian chief Guayas discovered that the Spanish wanted to take away his beautiful wife, Kil. He told them he would get them lots of riches if they left his wife alone and granted them freedom. He then took the Spanish up a mountain and asked them for a long strong stick to push up a rock. Once they gave him the spear, he pushed it through his wife's heart and then impaled himself, telling the Spaniards that he was taking two treasures, the river, full of his brother's blood, and his wife, to accompany him up to the land of the Sun.

Guayaquil is the commercial center of the country, with more than half the companies in Ecuador based here, but the city is also beginning to challenge the cultural hegemony of Quito. Apart from shrimp exporting, petroleum refining, food processing and manufacturing, you’ll find a theater, film and art scene growing alongside an already lively club and bar scene that’s fuelled in part by several large universities.

In Guayaquil we had reserved a private local guide to collect us from the airport and to show usthe highlights of Guayaquil, including Bolivar Park, the Centennial Park or Iguana Park, the Administration Square, the Malecon 2000 and Barrio de las Penas.

maptourguayaquil.jpg

In the new Administration Square there are several heritage buildings, two of which are the most important government buildings in the city: the Municipality of Guayaquil, the Government of Guayas and the old building of the Cantonal Water Company. Located in the heart of the city of Guayaquil, this beautiful square also has the monument of Antonio José de Sucre, one of the pioneers of the liberation of Ecuador.

gobiernodelaprovinciade.jpg

edificio.jpg

The Church of San Francisco in the Square of the same name:

iglesiadesanfrancoscoen.jpg

The spectacular and colorful public exhibition of paintings by the Central Bank Building is a unique peculiarity of Guayaquil. The pictures are changed every 6 months:

dsc08431c.jpg

The monument of the warrier Mariscal Sucre:

dsc084490.jpg

The Moorish clocktower located on the Malecon Simon Bolivar:

dsc08454.jpg

At the entrance of the Centennial Park, is this square with the Monument to the Heroes of the Fatherland:

dsc08398g.jpg

The Guayaquil Cathedral is at the heart of the city and has semigotic style towers and is one of the most visited churches in Guayaquil.

lacatedralmetropolitana.jpg

The Bolivar Park, which is also called the Park of the Iguanas is home to many iguanas, some of which approach 5 feet in length. Tourists and locals alike often feed the iguanas mango slices from park vendors. There is also a pond filled with colourful Japanese Tilapia.

An equestrian statue of the Liberator Simón Bolívar is located in the centre of the park. At the base of the statue is the first iguana:

lacatedralmetropolitana.jpg

dsc08468x.jpg

dsc08469z.jpg

dsc08471o.jpg

dsc08483c.jpg

You can see the iguanas in the trees above this guy´s head:

dsc08515n.jpg

dsc085160.jpg

Once finished in the Iguana Park, we went to the Malecon 2000 which is an ultramodern promenade along the waterfront, and has a nice contemporary art museum, a large garden area, an area for kids, and a shopping mall, this large park is the biggest architectural development in many centuries in the City of Guayaquil.

dsc02614m.jpg

dsc08536hr.jpg

dsc08574.jpg

dsc08589f.jpg

The monument commemorating the historical conference with Simon Bolivar and Jose de San Martin finished in 1938:

dsc085790.jpg

dsc08594o.jpg

dsc08636s.jpg

dsc08643.jpg

The Barrio las Peñas located at the foot of the Santa Ana hill is an area of the city with a coastal colonial architecture. It was destroyed and reconstructed several times as a consequence of fires, in particular the great fire of 1896. Las Peñas historic streets now house art galleries and artists' studios, the city’s oldest church, Santo Domingo (1548) and the nearby open-air-theatre, the Bogota. Las Peñas, where the city was founded, was actually rebuilt and painted bright colors where most of Guayaquil's colonial buildings are. Las Peñas has been home to presidents, musicians, historians, artists, captains of industry, housewives and fisherman. With a particular architectural style with narrow streets the houses near the river depict the early days of Ecuador with two fronts one for access from the street and the other for access from the river.

dsc08616s.jpg

dsc08618o.jpg

dsc08620i.jpg

dsc08625.jpg

dsc08626.jpg

dsc08627a0.jpg

The Santa Ana hill is a lovely place situated just above the Malecon 2000 and you can see almost the whole city from there. There are 400 odd steps to the top from the Malecon. There is a lighthouse, museum, small chapel and park at the top. Along the stairs, vendors sell water, ice cream and other snacks.

dsc02612k.jpg

dsc08608i.jpg

dsc08609m.jpg

Then we went to the Mountain Paradise Lookout where we saw these views of Guayaquil:

dsc08689q.jpg

dsc08675.jpg

dsc08683h.jpg

Finished our tour the guide took us to the airport to catch our international flight back to Spain:

dsc087020.jpg

dsc026330.jpg

It was such a very special trip that we were very sorry when it ended but it was a pleasure to share the experience with all of you.

THE END

Caramelo,

Thank you so much for all the time you took in writing such a wonderful review. I was kept in suspense waiting for the next chapter each day. You experienced such wonderful things and shared them with us so beautifully and in great detail -- I felt like I was there with you! I, too, am sad the story is over...hopefully I can find your future reviews on CC as I know they will be as exciting as this one.

But the funniest images were certainly those which we saw in the local fish market with the sea lions and pelicans waiting for their share, ha ha ha........and right next to this sign warning not to give foodt o the animals:

We are going in April this year and I don't want to miss this show. Hope we'll see this too...It is funny. Can't wait - dreaming about this trip for over 20 years.

• 4 years later...
I think that the football stadium in the next photo could be perhaps the Olympic Stadium Hernando Siles La Paz which is the largest sports complex in Bolivia. It has a Capacity of 42.000 seated to 45.000 spectators if they are located in stands, and was named in honor of Hernando Siles Suazo, the 31st President of Bolivia 1926-1930.

The stadium is located in the Miraflores area of La Paz, at an altitude of 3.567 meters above sea level, making it one of the highest professional stadiums in the world.

dsc04906.jpg

dsc00938y.jpg

Great review but we can only see two photos this one and the oxygen one....