Embarkation-Day Lunch in Dining Room?

happyvalley

Does Princess ever have available the formal dining rooms for lunch on embarkation day? A long time ago ate there, but it seems on our more recent cruises this has not been possible. Thanks!

We enjoyed a very relaxing lunch on embarkation day on our T'giving cruise on the Grand. They only serve until 1:30 pm and there were not many people present. It was great to miss the buffet crunch.

As I remember it was not a limited menu but a standard Lunch menu. We have done the MDR Embarkation dining on our last three cruises - much better than the confusion and noise in the Horizon Court. I believe it is usually the MDR on Plaza Deck.

The open MDR may not be well marked. On the Coral in August the door was closed and there was no sign. As we walked in staff met us. There were maybe 30 people having lunch. Also remember that the MDR is only open the standard Lunch hours of 12:00 - 1:30.

Note that although Princess publicizes this option in pre-cruise e-mails for all cruises some Maitre 'ds apparently don't like the bother and his staff attempts to steer you to the Horizon Court. At one time this was only an option for B2B cruisers. Depending upon the ship you might want to bring a copy of the Princess e-mail.

They tried to steer us to the Horizon Court on the Emerald last November but we persisted and eventually made it through the door. I love the embarkation day lunch in the dining room. Hardly anyone knows about it, so the waiters are eager to serve. I can't stand it in the buffet. Too many people rushing around and it's sometimes difficult to find a place to sit.

Another question about embarkation day lunch - can you get room service? We are luckily getting a suite on our first ever Princess cruise and I understand we can order from the dining room menu for all our meals if we want. Sitting on our balcony, enjoying lunch service before we even sail would be my idea of a great vacation send-off :)

Don't be discouraged when staff members try to send you to the buffet. Ask instead, "which dining room is open every day for lunch?" In my (limited) experience, it's there!

Enjoy!

The Patter in our stateroom on embarkation on the Grand listed the fact that lunch was available in one dining room and the time it was open.

Althoughthe MDR is open for embarkation lunch - 12 noon to 1.30pm, staff certainly do not encourage pax going in there. I went in once and there were more staff - officers etc, then pax.

One needs to be on board pretty early, say by 12.30pm to make the MDR for luncheon.

These days, we board around 2.30pm - 3pm after the crowds, so buffet it is.

Another question about embarkation day lunch - can you get room service? We are luckily getting a suite on our first ever Princess cruise and I understand we can order from the dining room menu for all our meals if we want. Sitting on our balcony, enjoying lunch service before we even sail would be my idea of a great vacation send-off :)

Embarkation day is probably the busiest day for the crew. I would think the room service people would have their hands full already. But congratulations on your suite.

In the dining room, I recommend the salmon - the best on the whole cruise.

Don't be discouraged when staff members try to send you to the buffet. Ask instead, "which dining room is open every day for lunch?" In my (limited) experience, it's there!

Enjoy!

We have asked staff members about which MDR and are told up to the HC--We've been having lunch in the MDR for quite a few years--just--don't ask--LOOK--in the room for waiters--if you see them--go on in.--it's yours!!

On the Emerald, a few months ago, we needed to do something before going to our cabin at Customer service--wse asked the guy who was helping us where it was and he told us it wasn't open--it was on that deck just around from the desk--I sure hate to be lied to--certainly irritates me!!

Nancy:D

Archived