Cash Charge Account

jenson47

Can someone please explain to me how a cash charge account would work on Princess? When I called them to ask they were unhelpful and strongly discouraged this. However, my parents in law want to pay as they go. Help!!!

They also want to change their payment method from what they put in the personalizer, but it now closed.

Thanks so much.

Can someone please explain to me how a cash charge account would work on Princess? When I called them to ask they were unhelpful and strongly discouraged this. However, my parents in law want to pay as they go. Help!!!

They also want to change their payment method from what they put in the personalizer, but it now closed.

Thanks so much.

No problem changing their payment method at the pier.

If Princess is like the other lines, your parents would visit the Purser's Desk on the first day when they board the ship. At that time, they could place a deposit and convert their account away from a credit card to a cash account.

And yes, have them see the Purser on the first day and they can establish a cash account (most ships will want $200-$250 initially as a down payment). They can then put more money down as needed throughout the voyage. Any overages will be returned in cash.

I want to add something. By Cash they only take actuall cash and not checks and or pay with a debit card correct?
I believe most lines will take a debit card (either as a true debit with PIN or as a credit card with swipe and sign) but they limit the amount of personal checks to something like $100 max. Be aware that they will ask for a minimum amount to start, I think it is ~$300 per person for a week-long cruise.

I'm guessing they already put down a Credit Card when they filled out the personalizer. If not, they can't print off their boarding pass and luggage tags. They would have to wait until they arrive.

What happens is when they check in, they will be required to fill out a form stating they would be liable for the charges. The card wouldn't be activated for use (meaning to charge anything) until they go to the Purser's desk and put down a deposit. The amount is $300.

If they don't think they will spend $300, no worries. Just leave the credit card on record and then pay as they go at the purser desk. It's not a problem doing it this way.

Our first cruise we did this. When we boarded, we went to the Purser's desk and made a large cash deposit. At the end of the cruise, we were refunded, in cash, for the amount that we didn't spend. The credit card was never charged, though it did have a hold until the day after we got home (when CCL released the hold).

I would strongly suggest not using a Debit card for your cruise expenses. Only use a Credit card, and if you want to pay up front, it won't be charged.

Gidday.

Our family is boarding the Diamond in a few days and, as they use US currency, and the banks convert the currency at such a disagreeable rate for using the credid cards internationally, and then charge you for the privelige, we are looking at bringing some US dollar travellers cheques on board for our expenses.

We are happy to use the credit card as a back up but would like to minimise the use of this facility, and the enivitable charges.

My question is this, rather than bring US cash, will the pursers desk accept US currency travellers cheques and are there any additional charges for crediting our ship account in advance?

Thank you fellow cc-ers for your help.

God bless you all:)

Tracey

We just returned on Nov 27th from a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Sapphire. On the first day, I put $500 cash down on our folio. It shows as a credit, and offsets all your charges. The Sapphire (and others, but I don't know which) has a folio printer onboard, which is very handy. Just scan your room card and hit print and it prints your current standings. We didn't have to add more, but if it were getting close to zero, we would have put a couple hundred more down.

My question is this, rather than bring US cash, will the pursers desk accept US currency travellers cheques and are there any additional charges for crediting our ship account in advance?

You can use travellers cheques and there is no charge for cashing them or applying the amount towards your shipboard account. When you pay your shipboard account, they will give you a receipt which shows the payment was made with Traveller Cheques.

Archived