Equinox: standard veranda vs. Aqua

Raycruise2010

I'm going to book a veranda on the Equinox. The standard deluxe is the same size as the concierge and Aqua class rooms, but the later two are much more expensive (Aqua class is $1,000 more for two!!!!!). In looking at the amenities list it doesn't appear the additional concierge or Aqua costs are worth it. Anyone have an opinion?

If you are not looking for the conceirge services or if you believe that you will spend more time outside of your cabin then in it, you will do well to have the regular balcony suite. You can always go up to the main deck area and get cookies and tea or soft drinks and bring it back to your cabin as opposed to having a butler bring it for you.

I personally like the concierge service and have recently booked an Aqua spa cabin but I definately can see your point.

If you are not looking for the conceirge services or if you believe that you will spend more time outside of your cabin then in it, you will do well to have the regular balcony suite. You can always go up to the main deck area and get cookies and tea or soft drinks and bring it back to your cabin as opposed to having a butler bring it for you.

I personally like the concierge service and have recently booked an Aqua spa cabin but I definately can see your point.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hermitage, either you've misunderstood the OP or you may misunderstand the benefits of Aqua Class. You do not get a Butler in Aqua Class. You get a butler in Suites. The OP was talking about a verandah cabin, standard balcony, not a suite and comparing that to Concierge Class and Aqua Class, also not suites. So No butler either way. I hope you haven't booked AQ and expect more than what you'll get.

Regarding the original question, It's a matter of choice. I agree that at $500 per person, it's probably not worth it. I've enjoyed the benefits of CC before, but I only paid about $150 per person. In a couple of weeks I'm sailing the Equinox in AQ, but I only paid about $250 per person difference from Standard Verandah when I booked. The price has gone up, and I don't know that I'd book the same class given the price today. Everyone who has reported that they've sailed AQ has said that the primary benefit is eating in Blu restaurant as your primary dining venue. My wife and I really like the Persian Gardens and would normally pay to use the steam rooms, but apparently we are the exception to the rule.

Good Luck to both of you on your upcoming cruises.

I agree with Bobby. $500 per person is a rather steep difference. Aqua Class (AQ) has nice perks, but to me they are not worth $500 a person. I would roughly value the perks of AQ as being worth about $30 a day per/person - so $300 per/person on a 10-night cruise. Of course this is a rough estimate and for some they are worth more, for some less.

If not going with AQ or Concierge Class (CC), the 2C's often offer a great value. They are significantly cheaper due to being classified as partially obstructed, but the obstruction is minor (life boats impacting your view when looking straight down). They are especially a great deal if you can land one on the slanted portion of the hump (i.e. 6240) as they have very large balconies at usually great prices.

Bobby is correct that AQ does not have butler service. One needs a Sky Suite or higher for butler service. In AQ your room steward does provide you with complimentary bottled water, flavored tea, and afternoon canapes and you have the same expanded room service menu that CC receives. No butler though and no complimentary espresso/cappuccinos.

We went with concierge (C3) but only because it was only $100 more when we booked than a regular balcony. The concierge class benefits didn't seem that enticing, except for the extra cruise credit. Since we are new to Celebrity it made sense to get the extra credit, which will get us to Elite that much faster. The advice I received on this board when I asked the question was pretty much unanimous that concierge isn't worth much outside of the cruise credit (unless it gets you a special cabin/balcony). If we had had to pay $1000 more for concierge class we definitely would not have done it.

Aqua class seems to have more benefits because of Blu, but that only holds true if you think you will like dining there.

:confused::confused::confused:

Hermitage, either you've misunderstood the OP or you may misunderstand the benefits of Aqua Class. You do not get a Butler in Aqua Class. You get a butler in Suites. The OP was talking about a verandah cabin, standard balcony, not a suite and comparing that to Concierge Class and Aqua Class, also not suites. So No butler either way. I hope you haven't booked AQ and expect more than what you'll get.

I'm thrown off??? Where did Hermitage mention a butler?...Concierge services are not "butler services.

I'm thrown off??? Where did Hermitage mention a butler?...Concierge services are not "butler services.

OOOpps!! Sorry!!! Please ignore my other reply...:oI, now, see the mention of a butler.

I'm going to book a veranda on the Equinox. The standard deluxe is the same size as the concierge and Aqua class rooms, but the later two are much more expensive (Aqua class is $1,000 more for two!!!!!). In looking at the amenities list it doesn't appear the additional concierge or Aqua costs are worth it. Anyone have an opinion?

For that difference, you could pamper yourself with spa treatments and eat in all the specialty restaurants almost every night.

The advice I received on this board when I asked the question was pretty much unanimous that concierge isn't worth much outside of the cruise credit (unless it gets you a special cabin/balcony).

One benefit of CC that I haven't seen mentioned is the use of the Concierge on board.

We were sailing into Sitka on Infinity and we were scheduled to arrive mid-morning on Sunday. It was our first trip to Sitka, and there is a Russian Orthodox Cathedral there which meant a great deal to my wife who grew up in that denomination. She'd heard about the cathedral since she was a little girl. It was important to us that we be able to attend liturgy at the Cathedral. The Concierge arranged for us to get on the first tender and we made it to church on time. For us, it was the most memorable part of our cruise.

I got CC for only $100 more for the cabin, not per person. It was worth it to me. I spend a lot of time on the balcony and enjoyed the footstools. It was nice to have a separate embarkation point so I didn't have to wait in a long line. I wouldn't take CC or AQ for a lot more, though. A lot of people want AQ so they can eat in BLU. I'm OK with the other dining options.

DW & I have booked both ways. CC & AQ. Since we are both foodies & she is the fitness fanatic, luvs the steam room & persian gardens booking AQ is always a no brainer. The expanded room service menu is also great. No need to mention the advantages of Blu. Interestingly enough AQ & C1 stateroom prices on our next cruise (E Med, May '11) go back & forth. A couple of times C1 was $50 more p/p than AQ. That situation always perplexed me. C1 is currently $50 less than AQ.

Without a doubt X has scored a homerun with AQ class.

2MC

• 6 months later...

Husband and I booked Deluxe Verandah on this sailing,sailed AQ prior was exceptional and would consider it on this sail,but need help. Traveling with single cousin who would not have access with us to Blu and we do not want to ditch her in any way....it is an additional $800.00 and trying to figure out what to do. Eastern Med. 11 nite. Please Help!!

Husband and I booked Deluxe Verandah on this sailing,sailed AQ prior was exceptional and would consider it on this sail,but need help. Traveling with single cousin who would not have access with us to Blu and we do not want to ditch her in any way....it is an additional $800.00 and trying to figure out what to do. Eastern Med. 11 nite. Please Help!!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

While the AQ perks are nice, $800 is an awful lot of money. Equinox has four specialty restaurants (Murano, Tuscan Grill, Silk Harvest and Bistro on 5); all are very good. It probably makes more sense to skip AQ this time and use some of the savings towards a few dinners at the specialty restaurants. This way you all can eat together, but you will save a lot of money. Try to snag a balcony on the slanted portion of the hump (I think most if not all 1A balconies fall into this category) as these have very large balconies.

Aqua class seems to have more benefits because of Blu, but that only holds true if you think you will like dining there.

My wife and I enjoy dining in all the available restaurants onboard, mostly for the variety of decor, atmosphere and menus. To pay extra for AQ class so we can eat in Blu would be an expensive proposition since we'd only be eating there half the time. In essence, we'd be paying a double upcharge for dining an about half the evenings. Figure an additional $200 for two to eat in the other restaurants, while also paying for Blu when we aren't even there. We stick with CC cabins.

I love AQ, but the price difference in this case is too high. Keep an eye on prices. As you get closer to the sail date you may find that price changes make the dfference much smaller. I've even seen AQ priced lower than a standard balcony on some sailings. I don't see any advantage to CC on an S Class ship other than the additional cruise credit. AQ also gives you an additional cruise credit.

We just did the Eastern Med 11 night on the Equinox in June. Overall the cruise was fantastic, but my main complaint was being a little disappointed in the food in the MDR. In your situation, and assuming you're planning on eating with your single cousin most nights, I think you need to stick with the Deluxe Verandah and use the money saved to treat yourselves to some nights in the specialty restaurants.

For us, I will definitely book AQ next time if the price is right, just to be able to try out Blu. We travel with our kids, so we will need to book two AQ staterooms. I think I will approach it like Gonzo70 does, and be willing to pay about an additional $30pp/day.

Archived