What are the rules?

seattlejoe

Hey my family wants to know what the policies are on Carnival for bringing your own liquor onboard. I know most lines don't allow it although in Holland America you can bring wine and on Disney as well. If anyone has a link to a previously posted thread, or just knows off the top of their head it would be great if you could help us out. thanks!

Thank you all very much. Also what do they charge for sodas? Is there a soda package you can buy?

You can purchase a soda card... it's six bucks a day for the cruise... seven day cruise... $42...

Also, you can order liquor to be delivered to you cabin from the Bon Voyage Department. Here's the contact number and the most recent price list I have...

Bon Voyage 800-522-7648 as of 2/22/10

__________________________________________________ __

Rums:

Capt Morgan Spiced $55, Gosling, Appleton VX, Bacardi $40.

Malibu $55

Vodkas:

Absolute Citron, Stoli , Skye and Finlandia $40

Grey Goose, and 3 olives $60

Gin:

Beefeater $40

Sloe Gin $40

Bombay Sapphire $55

Canadian Whiskeys:

Canadian Club and Seagram’s 7 $38

Crown Royal and Jamison $55

Scotch:

Dewar’s $60

Chivas Regal $60

Johnny Walker/Black $70

Bourbon:

Jack Daniels $65

Maker’s Mark $60

Jim Beam $38

Tequila:

1800 - $55

Margaritaville $40

Salsa Hornitas (Sp) $60

Patron Silver $70

After Dinner:

Raspberry Liquor $40

Frangelico $45

Jagermeister $60

Chambord $60

Limoncello $60

Amaretto:

Disaronna $45

Brandy

Courvoisier $55

Apricot, Blackberry, and Cherry $40

Smirnoff Ice - Citrus $5.75

Beer:

Bud/Bud Light 16 ounce $5.75

Miller/Coors Reg/Lite 12 oz bottle $4.95

Heinekin 12 oz bottle $4.95

Amstel Reg/Lite - $4.95

Michelob Ultra $5.75 16 oz

Corona – 12 oz bottle - $4.95

Fosters – Large 750ML $6.75

Beer is sold as singles. The prices do not differ for a case.

Red Bull Reg/Sugar Free $4.75 (8.3 oz)

Mixers (soda’s/juices) are the same price as the bar. $1.95 for a can of soda and $1.75 for juice.

Fresh Lemon and lime can be ordered from Room Service

:)

[/font]

Thank you all very much. Also what do they charge for sodas? Is there a soda package you can buy?

If you have kids, I think the soda card for them is $4.50 a day plus the 15% tip added.

For adults you have to drink a darn lot of soda to get your money's worth.

I also believe that you are allowed to bring on board 12 cans of soda per person. We will be bringing the allowed maximum on board with us. For the 5 day cruise we are going on, that will be plenty of soda. If we did the soda card, it would be almost $100.00 for the 4 of us. Now that I am not allowed to drink wine due to stomach problems, we will not bring any on board. :cool:

If you have kids, I think the soda card for them is $4.50 a day plus the 15% tip added.

For adults you have to drink a darn lot of soda to get your money's worth.

Yeah, especially in those small ice FILLED cups that they don't like to be bothered having to serve.

Can you take the wine to your cabin that you carry on? What is a corkage fee? Does that apply to the wine you carry on?

Yes, you can take the wine to your cabin since it is in your carry on. I believe the corkage fee was $15.00 in the steakhouse and is the same in MDR. We luckily had an amazing service team in MDR that overlooked the fee. The corkage fee applies to any wine/champagne that you carry on and wish to be served in either the MDR or steakhouse.

Hope that helps.

(This is for Carnival as they are the only cruise line I have cruised).

We do non alcoholic wine, but this time we ordered it to be delivered to our cabin on the ship. We took a corkscrew, and opened the first bottle ourselves, the second bottle we took down to dinner, and they did charge us 15 to open it. Take the corkscrew, save some money.

If you can wait until the boat has left port, or wait until the second day, you will save local sales tax and possibly one day's worth on the soda card.

We open a bottle of wine, pour two glasses (you can get glasses at any bar) and carry them to the dining room. No charge, and no one has ever said anything to us. If we do that a bottle does two dinners for the both of us, so the two that we're allowed to carry on lasts four dinners.

We do non alcoholic wine, but this time we ordered it to be delivered to our cabin on the ship. We took a corkscrew, and opened the first bottle ourselves, the second bottle we took down to dinner, and they did charge us 15 to open it. Take the corkscrew, save some money.

Corkage fee should have nothing to do with actually opening the bottle. The best I can figure is the dining staff sees the open bottle as a sign that you don't expect to be charged. If you tried to pull that in a land-based restaurant that charges corkage, they would either snicker and charge you, or just charge you. ;)

Personally, I use the one bottle allowance to bring on a bottle of amazing wine that would cost at least double if I ordered it off the wine list. This way, even if they charge corkage, it is still a huge bargain. IMO paying $10 corkage on a $10 bottle of wine makes no sense. Even better is to take drop the bottle off at the steak house and enjoy a fine meal with an excellent wine.

I also believe that you are allowed to bring on board 12 cans of soda per person. We will be bringing the allowed maximum on board with us. For the 5 day cruise we are going on, that will be plenty of soda. If we did the soda card, it would be almost $100.00 for the 4 of us. Now that I am not allowed to drink wine due to stomach problems, we will not bring any on board. :cool:

Yes, each person is allowed to carry on 12 non-alcoholic beverages. They don't specify that it has to be 12-ounce cans, but that's what most do. Those also must be in your carryon luggage, so most people don't want to carry anything larger than the cans. You can pick up more soda/water/juice in ports of call too, to carry back on board. That soda card is just way too expensive to justify, for me. It's $6/day for adults, plus tip, so that comes to $6.90/day.

Mach,

Where are you getting the $42 price? Carnival's website said $48.30 plus gratuity.

Actually, you're both correct. The price for an adult for a 7-day cruise is $42 ($6/day). Add in the gratuity of 15% (which is $6.30), brings it to a total of $48.30. That chart on Carnival's website includes the gratuity.

Actually, you're both correct. The price for an adult for a 7-day cruise is $42 ($6/day). Add in the gratuity of 15% (which is $6.30), brings it to a total of $48.30. That chart on Carnival's website includes the gratuity.

Ok, that makes sense. I thought I read or saw somewhere the 15% was on top of the $48.30.

You can also bring soda on board, a reasonable amount but it much be in carry on, which is why we use a carry on with wheels for the wine and soda..much cheaper than the card that Carnival has

No- the corkage is not really for opening the bottle. It is for the service and the glasses and the fact that they aren't making the profit on the bottle you would otherwise have bought (presumably). They may or may not charge you but open or not, they can.

Archived