Epic studio room price

Mikiejag

I get that they are nice, but just checking the price for next April, between the studio room or inside room, the difference in price is not that much. Which makes me wonder why people choose the studio.

Other than a bit more room, are there any other key differences?

Or do most people just skip the studio and get an inside room when going solo?

Just curious.

I was on the Epic a few weeks ago and talked to a group of women that all had studios. They liked to travel together but didn't like to share a cabin. They all had rave reviews for their studio cabins. You can only enter the studio cabins with a key card so they felt safer that way. Then there is the living room area where you can meet other single travelers and have drinks and there are cookies and treats out. They said they met quite a few very nice people that way.

The studio rooms are actully smaller than inside rooms . They are 100 sq feet . Thats 10 ft x10 ft .Most inside rooms are 150 sq ft to 180 sq ft . 15ft x 10 ft or 18 x10 ft They have had 2 things going for them . [1 ] no singles penalty . [2] meeting room thats just for people in the studios . The meeting room is nice , drinks and treats everyday . The lounge area is nice to meet other singles and get together to go on tours The only problem I had was small bathroom and short bed . Im 6 ft tall and my feet hang over the end .Very small to walk around the bed . I personall would like a little larger room , They should have made them 120 sq ft . That litle extra would make a big diference . I understand RCI is now looking at solo cabins . Maybe they will make them just a little bigger . I think after the great sucess NCL is having the other cruiselines will follow CARL

I have heard the same things, great reviews, but until I actually went looking for the prices and thats when I noticed that they are not that cheap. Cheaper yes, but for what is lost and the minimal amount to upgrade, I was wondering what the real catch was.

Personally, I am now looking for some of the inside rooms instead. Feels like more for the money. If that makes sense.

I would rather have a diferent room If I ever go back on NCL . I just wasnt that impresed . I definatly want a bigger room . Im going on the RCI Jewel Jan 3rd . Ive gotten a Balcony center of ship on sale for almost the same price as I paid for that little room on the Epic . I liked the meeting room but I didnt like the sleeping room . Just too small . CARL

That does make me feel better, I would have guessed maybe a 25% cost increase, but not as close to a regular inside room. Maybe the extras make up for it, because I heard the "living room" is pretty nice, but I was just not sure if it made up for the prices.

Thanks all.

I sailed solo on Celebrity last month, and paid several hundred dollars less for my oceanview room (incl. the singles supplement) than NCL was asking for a studio on Epic. It looked to me as if NCL jacked up the base rate of their studio rooms, just so they could say you don't have to pay a singles supplement. I didn't think it was worth it, so I went with Celebrity and had a fabulous time. I guess it would have been nice to meet people in the solo travelers living room, but I had no trouble meeting people up on the main decks near the pool or wherever!

I sailed solo on Celebrity last month, and paid several hundred dollars less for my oceanview room (incl. the singles supplement) than NCL was asking for a studio on Epic. It looked to me as if NCL jacked up the base rate of their studio rooms, just so they could say you don't have to pay a singles supplement. I didn't think it was worth it, so I went with Celebrity and had a fabulous time. I guess it would have been nice to meet people in the solo travelers living room, but I had no trouble meeting people up on the main decks near the pool or wherever!

No, I believe the problem is the Studios are incredibly popular and that is the reason they are priced as high as they are. From the time I booked my past October cruise in a Studio (I booked in February 2010) to when they were sold out, the price went up $300.

I'm hoping that over time the prices will level off and go back to a reasonable rate. Probably around when NCL's new ships come out in 2013 and 2014. Both are supposed to also have Studio cabins. Plus Royal Caribbean is talking of putting solo cabins in some of their older ships at some point in the future. At that point solo cabins likely won't have the uniqueness that they do now and pricing will hopefully drop.

When I booked the Epic studio cabin for my TA cruise May 2011, the cost was $500 less than it is now. NCL cabins run smaller than some of the other cruise lines and the inside is only 128sf, not much larger than the studio at 100sf. Its still cheaper for the studio than a solo in the inside for the TA cruise. I want the studio experience, something totally different than the typical inside cabin I usually have. The living room is very nice and I hope to spend a fair amount of time there...when I am not in the spa!:D

• 2 weeks later...

I am in that demographic (30ish :) ) and that was one of the things that swayed me away from it. I am too old to be pulled into the different colored lights and small room.

I would rather pay a little more and get an inside room to myself with an extra 30sqft.

I think they may be trying to grab the younger crowd, thinking early 20's maybe.

Well I'm in my late 40's, turning the big 50 this year <yikes> and I loved my studio. It seemed roomier than I imagined, plus the idea that the whole studio area can only be accessed via a room card made it seem safer. The folks that took part in the solo gathering were roughly between 35 to I believe 70+.

Very tough question for you all: I have always traveled just myself around the world, but my first gay solo experience on a cruise (EPIC) will take place next February 2011...I'm sure I'll enjoy it, :) but I would really appreciate all suggestions from all EPIC experienced cruisers to make my trip more enjoyable...Thank you so much!!:D

Very tough question for you all: I have always traveled just myself around the world, but my first gay solo experience on a cruise (EPIC) will take place next February 2011...I'm sure I'll enjoy it, :) but I would really appreciate all suggestions from all EPIC experienced cruisers to make my trip more enjoyable...Thank you so much!!:D

I have not been on the Epic, but my advice is the same as it would be for any cruise.

Go with an open mind.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Most people on a cruise are there to have a good time and are friendly. Be friendly but expect some time that you will be by yourself.

Don't go expecting to meet up with people to hang out with every day. It does not happen on every cruise.

Join the roll call.

Since this is your first cruise, I recommend using ship-sponsored excursions. They are a little more expensive, but offer the security of not being left behind.

Have a blast and tell us all about it when you get home. :D

Janet

I am in that demographic (30ish :) ) and that was one of the things that swayed me away from it. I am too old to be pulled into the different colored lights and small room.

I would rather pay a little more and get an inside room to myself with an extra 30sqft.

I think they may be trying to grab the younger crowd, thinking early 20's maybe.

Mike...when I sailed on the Epic in November I sailed in a non-studio cabin but I was solo on the ship and I wanted to go to the solo meet and greets that were held some evenings in the studio lounge at 5:30. The studio lounge was accessible by key card to only those in the studio cabins....but they are not the only solos on the ship...

I pointed this out to guest relations and the hotel director and they recoded my key card so that I could go into the studio lounge....I was in a balcony on the 13th floor.

In truth there was nothing so great going on in there.....my sailing had a lot of much older women...... Someone your age would be better off hanging out at the pool and in the clubs and having your card recoded so that you can go to the solo meet and greets that take place there..........

As for the beds....I am five foot five and I felt like I hung over the bed in the balcony room.....I could have pulled the bed all the way out from under the wooden head board...but then I would have felt like I was falling off the top of the bed without a headboard....and the bed would have blocked my route to the balcony....so I left it.....it made me feel tall :)

Hey Scooby... I am not sure if you have traveled on NCL before or even on a cruise. theone pointer I would have for you would be too look in your daily newspaper that is delivered to your cabin...it is called "the freestyle daily", it is your road map to what is going on on the ship that day and all night.

There will be a meeting listed called "Friends of Dorothy" that is a meet and greet for GLBT people... There may be one or two people or ten people...you never know. I ended up hanging out at one of the locations where the meeting happend "Champagne Charlies", without realizing it was scheduled.... I had a great time and met some nice people even though I am not GLBT...

I hope you have a great cruise!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all for your feedback on the room and the information on getting the keycard recoded. If the price dropped of a standard inside cabin on the Epic then I was thinking of taking that cabin but was then concerned about not having access to the Studio Lounge by doing it. I'm 6'4" so I'm a little concerned about the size of the studio cabin, especially the bed! :cool:

I'm sure it'll all be fine. I'm rarely in my cabin anyway except to sleep and get ready for going out again. I do enjoy the balconies though but the Epic is just priced way too high to get one!

Hopefully since I'm doing college spring break week that the average age of the entire ship will be like last year and much younger! :)

Archived