Pub Crawl

valandjerry

We didn't host, but did attend one in London in 2004. One of our group hired a guide to take about 30 of us around several pubs in central London from our Roll Call. I'd defintely suggest that rather than trying to do it on your own. You also got the history of some of the pubs. One caveat, make sure the guide has some parameters as to how long you'd like to stay in each pub.

have fun!

<<<Just saw you want to do this on board.....>>>> Not sure how that would work, other than to try and get dailies from similar sailings.....

I recently organized one on Equinox. I started it late afternoon and ended it at 6pm so that people with early seating dinner could make it to dinner on time. A lot of the evening bars open up at 5pm, so starting late afternoon allows you to fit in a variety of bars. This is how ours went:

3:30-4:00pm: Bar near Lawn Club

4:00pm-4:30pm: Bar in outdoor area of buffet seating

4:30pm-5:00pm: Cafe al Bacio (Coffee bar)

5:00pm-5:30pm Ensemble Lounge

5:30pm-6:00pm Martini Bar

The way it worked was everybody who wanted to compete in a poker game received one playing card at each of the bars. Everybody playing kicked in $5. The person with the best poker hand at the end of the crawl won 75% of the pot and person with second best hand won 25%.

The 3:30-6:00pm time period seems to work well as it does not interfere with dinner, and there are several different bars/lounges open during that time period. We had about 20 people participate and had a fun time.

I recently organized one on Equinox. I started it late afternoon and ended it at 6pm so that people with early seating dinner could make it to dinner on time. A lot of the evening bars open up at 5pm, so starting late afternoon allows you to fit in a variety of bars. This is how ours went:

The way it worked was everybody who wanted to compete in a poker game received one playing card at each of the bars. Everybody playing kicked in $5. The person with the best poker hand at the end of the crawl won 75% of the pot and person with second best hand won 25%.

The 3:30-6:00pm time period seems to work well as it does not interfere with dinner, and there are several different bars/lounges open during that time period. We had about 20 people participate and had a fun time.

Gonzo, you are officially my new favorite person!

People signed up in advance via the Roll Call. One person on our Roll Call (Monica) created a great web site where she kept track of all of our activities and who was signed up. We had the day, location, and time picked out in advance of where to meet up.

This sounds awesome, how did you get people to sign up, did you do this beforehand, or get Celebrity to announce something?

I'm going on the Equinox in a week and would love to host one of these...

Count me in. I totally think you should do this... it sounds like fun!

This seems like such a good idea I posted it to our roll call! Thank you.

Pub Crawl on board.

Has anyone hosted this and how is it done, some of the bars are only open in the evening and others only in the daytime.

thanks

Val and Jerry, You can count us in on your Pub Crawl if its on a sea day! :)

After the pub crawl, perhaps if we get done in time we can retire to Michaels for the elite free drinks.

Yeeeeehaaaaw! :D

If we're too late for Michaels we'll meet in the Martini bar!

Yeeeeehaaaaw! :D

We were recently on the Infinity and did an impromptu pub crawl and had a blast. We started on the upper decks (where the bars were open) and made our way around. However, I should say that during the day we only managed to hit 3 bars. Stayed at one for over 3 hours... we had a blast and needless to say also got blasted.... we picked things up again in the evening. I spoke to this in my review "Semi-live on the Infinity" and also have some pictures. IMHO... to much organization could dilute the fun! :cool:;)

We've done a poker run 2 different ways. Last October on the Solstice we had it immediately after the meet and mingle and it was a pub crawl. We wound up at the MDR for the brunch. We also did a $5/person entry fee and had a deck of cards at each venue. So the opportunity for 5 of a kind existed.

On a previous cruise we did a cabin crawl/poker run. That way we got to see various categories of cabins. But if you get anything over 20 it's impractical as the lines down the hall to get into the cabins would be prohibitive. When we did the cabin crawl, each person took a card at the various cabins.

Both ways we had sign up via the Roll Call, but let others join at the Meet and Mingle.

Something to be aware of. A previous poker run a year or two ago had a situation where both parties of a couple put in the $5 each, but then we saw them "sharing cards" to make the best hand. And what are you going to do? Say "They're sharing! They're sharing?" Hardly. But it wasn't addressed prior to the run. So even though I think adults can be on the honor system, I think a "NO SHARING" comment before the run is a good idea. On our last run, the card decks at each venue were numbered so whoever won had to have cards w/ the numbers 1-5 on their backs. Quick and easy solution which seemed to help.

Archived