Wine Package on RCCL.how does it work?

MarieAtSea

I would like to purchase a wine pkg. It says 6 bottles. Does that mean they deliver the bottled to your room? Do you get a card they stamp? How does it work?

quote]

As I recall, the bottles are not delivered to your room. You make your selection each night when you go to the dining room (or Chops, whatever). If you don't finish a bottle one night, they'll save it for you til the next night. If you want two bottles one night, that's fine too. Not sure when you show your receipt each time or what.

When you purchase your package they will affix a sticker on your seapass. You can order your wine in MDR, WJ or one of the specialty restaurants, they will take your seapass and bring back a receipt. As mentioned before they will hold unfinished wine for the next night or you can take the unfinished wine or an extra bottle back back to your cabin. I've not tried having the wine delivered to the cabin.

We always preorder a wine package for the MDR. I know that years ago you could choose to have it delivered to your room, but I'm not sure if that's still an option.

And speaking of the MDR, it's not that they have a specific group of bottles of wine with your name on them. When you buy your package, you'll have to decide between the Gold, Platinum, or Diamond wine lists. Whichever one you buy, you'll have that wine list to choose from in the MDR.

Our normal routine is to bring back a bottle from the MDR from dinner on the first night, then again whenever we need more in the cabin. (Your waiter will also give you glasses and a corkscrew if you need them.) Then we can have a little vino in the cabin too.

Since you can't really access your MDR wine package until dinner on the first night, we've also been known to order a bottle or two to be delivered to the cabin from Gifts & Gear - Wine Cellar. Then we can have a drinkie before we even sail if we want.

Sigh...it's hard being a wino and having to do all this planning...

Judy

We bought the wine package on a cruise out of Galveston. To my surprise we couldn't have a bottle the first night (main dining) because we were still officially in Texas waters. I was able to order indivual glasses of wine though. We didn't use all five bottles so we took one home with us.

We were on the Thanksgiving sailing of the Voyager and ran into the same problem. Wrote to RCI and complained about not being able to access my wine package the first night and suggested if the wine in my package had not been blessed by the great state of Texas at least they could offer a substitute that was sanctioned by Texas rather than make me pay for more wine!! They wrote back and provided all the sympathy but I guess no solution has been found yet. Wound up lugging a bottle home as well.

On MONARCH last month

we could only get the wine in the dining room, altho we were told we could get it in any lounge. We did not try to order via r/s

Nothing was put on our card .... the details were simply in the computer and our card was needed each time we had wine in the d/r. Funny that the package for a 3 nite cruise was 4 bottles, requiring a two bottle nite . . .

We waited to get the package until in the d/r because we had some questions. Asking to speak to a sommelier, we never saw one; and our head waiter who 'handled' the questions was amazingly uninformed.

Not our best impression of RCL . . . I was leaning towards skipping the package, altho have bought it on may other lines, due to the sparse information and conflicting replies. But spousal unit decided 'it was the better way'.

sorry I do not understand.. you could not have one of your bottles of wine because you were in waters off the coast of the USA? does that mean on the first night we also can not have our wine? we are sailing out of miami.

t

We sailed out of FLL two weeks ago tomorrow. Bought a five bottle Platinum package (had the Pinot Noir that we like). They affixed a stamp to my Set Sail card. Had Main seating and enjoyed our selection with dinner. Because we're Diamond and frequented the Diamond lounge on the Oasis, we didn't use all 5 bottles so ordered one to take back to the cabin and carried it home.

sorry I do not understand.. you could not have one of your bottles of wine because you were in waters off the coast of the USA? does that mean on the first night we also can not have our wine? we are sailing out of miami.

t

Of all the wine packages I have ordered, (it's been a number of them) Galveston is the only place I have encountered this and it was only on the most recent sailing in November. I suppose at the time of dinner we were still in Texas jurisdiction and they have some draconian laws as to selling alcohol that has been taxed by Texas. I understand they sell from their bars, special liquors that have been taxed for the time they are in Galveston. Seems as though they just can't pay the local tax on the sale like they do in Miami.

You select your wine from a special wine list. There are excellent choices. Each night you can select your wine and if you do not finish it, they will bring it back to you the next evening. When you purchase the wine package with your Sea Pass, a sticker is put onto your Sea Pass card and everytime you select a new bottle, they mark your Sea Pass card. Very easy and efficient! Definitely worthwhile doing this. Enjoy!

I would like to purchase a wine package on my next cruise but want to make sure it is also available if you are eating in any/all of the specialty restaurants on the Oasis of the Seas? Does anyone know for certain?

We are traveling with another couple....is it possible to split a large package (12 bottles) with them since we will be eating together, instead of each couple purchasing the 6 bottle package? It saves a little more $$'s.

Thanks!

We are traveling with another couple....is it possible to split a large package (12 bottles) with them since we will be eating together, instead of each couple purchasing the 6 bottle package? It saves a little more $$'s.

Just have one couple purchase the larger package, and then split the cost between you. Doesn't matter whose name is on the package, the whole table may drink the wine. (For my in-laws anniversary we purchased the package and all four of us shared it.)

We've never encountered a problem having a bottle from our wine package in the MDR on 4 cruises out of Galveston. We have late seating for dinner, so maybe it's only early seating that is affected by the Texas liquor laws??

That may very well be as we had the early seating. This was our third cruise out of Galveston and this past Thanksgiving cruise was the first time we had any problem.

We've never encountered a problem having a bottle from our wine package in the MDR on 4 cruises out of Galveston. We have late seating for dinner, so maybe it's only early seating that is affected by the Texas liquor laws??

I was thinking the same thing. We will be leaving from Galveston in March and will, once again, have late seating. I hope we don't have difficulty accessing our package.

Be sure you request the package, which is either 5, 7, or 10 bottles, delievered to the main dining room. Then you can get a bottle from your package at either a specialty restaurant or the Windjammer if you wish. Do NOT have the wine delivered to your cabin. If you do and you take a bottle to the dining room or restaurant, you will be charged a corkage fee. Totatlly out of line to be charged for a bottle you have bought from the cruise line, but that is RCI's policy, stupid as it is. If you want wine in your cabin, you can take one from the package out of the dining room or what is left, if any, of an opened bottle out of the dining room. It is quite simple to purchase on embarkation day, as there is usually a display for wine packages just outside the Windjammer. Or you can wait until you arrive in the dining room the first night.

Archived