ms russ

marco_polo11

Denny & Dizzy-

My group of 12 were on the same sailing as marco polo (we came from NY, MD and CA). The cruise was very memorable as far as the sights go. Our cruise started in St Petersburg and we took a private all day tour that was arranged by our trip leader. 4 of us had visited St Petersburg before.

Our main regret was not having enough time in Moscow. The cruise terminal is quite far from downtown and a slow drive during rush hour. Luckily, we arrived on a Sunday and had no trouble with the traffic during our weekend City Tour (Red Square, Gum Department Store, the hill near Moscow University where you can see one of the ski jump ramps used in the Olympics - it was pouring rain that day). In the evening, our trip leader reserved a private "Moscow by Night" tour for us. Then after the ship's Kremlin Morning Tour on Day 2, our trip leader organized a trip to Sergiev Possad (highly recommended) and Subway tour.

The Gate 1 brochures are pretty accurate about the tours included as part of your cruise.

As for packing tips:

(1) adapter - the one with two prongs and a round base. The cheaper adapters without the round base may slip out of the outlet.

(2) toilet paper - luckily we brought our own because the daily allotment was one roll. One day, I left mine out (Scott - 1000 sheets) and was not given a new roll that day. Our running joke was "did you get a roll of tp today?"

(3) facial tissues - bring your own; none provided

(4) soap and shampoo - there was a bar of brown sugar soap which we never used. It just seemed to be an odd choice.

(5) there is a "pirate night" - so bring appropriate wear if you have it. The staff seemed to enjoy this because they blocked the entrance to the dining room unless you pay them (we gave them $2) or you perform (some people danced, sang, or told a joke)

(6) face towel - bring your own. The towels were changed every other day but in a random pattern. Our bath towel was changed on day 3, then the hand towel on day 4; or sometimes both were changed on the same day.

(6) pencil or pen - bring one with you at dinner. After the day 2, you are given a choice of appetizer, entree and dessert at lunch and dinner. The day before, your table will be given a strip of paper and you are to place a check mark next to your preference.

All in all, we had a great time despite the little quirks that we encountered. Let me know if you have any other questions.

• 1 month later...

Hi! My daughter and I are about to book the Moscow to St Petersburg trip on the Russ for June 19th of 2012. We are very excited, as this will be our first ever cruise and our first time out of the country as well! I really appreciate all of the tips and descriptions I'm reading here- so we can be as prepared as possible to make the most of a very uniqie trip! I'd love to see pictures if anyone who has taken the cruise can post some, (especially of the bathroom on the russ)!

Pixiegirl are you booking with Gate1 or someone else? We will be on the end of May trip in the same direction.

Reply 25 by Tehnotour has some good photos of the cruise dock under the title <River Station> and a some great photos of the Russ including bathroom. The Russ is on page 2 dated 05/12/11. About 15 from the top at the moment. I always have trouble finding it. Wish I could read Russian!

The photos make the ship nicer than I expected. Guess we`ll see!

Many belated thanks Dushi and Marco Polo for your really helpful replies. Have another question about the included tours but will post it separately.

Have 3 nights in Moscow before we start and a couple of days in St Petersburg afterwards so am trying to make sure we don`t double up on the cruise excursions wasting our precious time!

Denny

Hi denny girl! I think we're planning to book through Travel all Russia (Goldenring cruises). We're choosing June especially to see the White Nights. Of course we have to work around school schedules as well.

I found this great website: waytorussia.net that will help you to learn "quick" Russian. I just want to learn a few phrases that will be handy in travelling- such as proper greetings and How much is that? Which way to the bus/train/airport, etc. The website also teaches you the alphabet and how to recognize sounds. You can learn as much or as little as you wish. My daughter has taught herself basic Russian over the last year, she can read it better than speak it (since she learned from an old book), so she'll do well reading signs and things.

I will look through the pictures- thanks so much for the heads up!

Can't wait to hear everybodys stories as the time gets closer! I'm just trying to survive the next couple of months as we try to squeeze $4000 worth of airfare as well as the trip payment our of our meager budget. Yikes! If we survive that- then we're good to go!

I am sure that you will enjoy your Russia trip. We just did Kiev, Moscow, River cruise, STP and the Baltics in August/September with Vantage. Gate 1 is a bargain company compared to Vantage, but you can probably see the main sites.

My review is posted under Vantage.

Frommers has a guide for Moscow and St. Petersburg, which may be helpful.

Be prepared for your food being seasoned with dill. Everything in Russia had dill on it.

Just wanted these new Russian cruisers to take a good look at the Visa process for Russia. The info is on line and is the most detailed and expensive Visa we have ever applied for. I don't know if your river cruise company will be of help, but don't wait until the last moment to apply for a Visa. Also, be very aware of your surroundings in Russia. Pick pockets are everywhere. We took the Metro in St. Petersburg and Moscow and they are easy to navigate.

Sheila

Just wanted these new Russian cruisers to take a good look at the Visa process for Russia. The info is on line and is the most detailed and expensive Visa we have ever applied for. I don't know if your river cruise company will be of help, but don't wait until the last moment to apply for a Visa. Also, be very aware of your surroundings in Russia. Pick pockets are everywhere. We took the Metro in St. Petersburg and Moscow and they are easy to navigate.

Sheila

We acquired our visas from the company designated by Vantage. It was expensive.

It was worth the extra cost to use a company.

My sense was that the very public places in Moscow and StP that we visited were fairly safe from anything buy pickpockets, however we were warned that at night, some areas of the city were not recommended for tourists.

Tourists stand out in a country like Russia.

My money belt took care of our most valuable items, so I just kept enough cash and one credit card in my pocket.

We cruised Russia with Viking and found the included and the optional excursions very crowded, rushed and superficial with far too much time in gift shops. Much preferred exploring independently at our own pace using English language audio guides at the venues.

We learnt enough of the Cyrillic alphabet to decipher street signs and place names, used Lonely Planet's guidebooks (excellent maps) to Moscow and St Petersburg and the advice from Trip Advisor, especially on using the Metros.

The three days we spent independently in each city was well worthwhile. We did use a Sydney travel agent who organised visas, hotels, transfers and cruise for us.

Some of the items listed above as missing from the Russ cabins were also not provided in hotels.

It was a great trip.

We're officially "booked" with Goldenring Cruises, whoo`hoo! I have an Aunt and Uncle who took the same cruise a few years ago through Viking River Cruises. When I compared their cruise and itinerary, as well as Vikings current itinerary with ours, there was very little difference other than the ship itself and the price. They got to visit a local home for a meal on one of the stops, and they got to see a performance in St Pete's that we're given as an option (extra cost). Those were the only differences I found in the two cruises. And when I saw pictures of their room on Viking, it was nearly identical to the room my daughter and I will have on the Russ. I'm sure there are other things that might pop up as far as differences go, but I'm thrilled we could book this cruise. It really is a childhood dream come true to see Russia.

Yeah the Visa's are quite pricey. We were quoted $245pp. Travel-all-Russia will get us the invitation for the Visa and then send us the Visa papers to sign and return with the passports, then they'll send it in. They said they will do that in April for our June cruise. We were told we'd get it in about 3 weeks. We also booked our transfers through the agency, for airport to hotel (since we're planning to arrive a day early in Moscow and explore) and then from the hotel to the ship the next day. Also from ship to airport in St Pete's.

Since my daughter and I will be travelling alone together, I've been reading a lot about safety issues, especially the pickpockets~ both in Russia, as well as Amsterdam and Paris. I do think I'm going to purchase a special camera strap and a carry-on-backpack from Pacsafe through amazon.com . There stuff is suppose to be pretty secure with locking zippers and slash proof material. If I'm gonna be mugged- I won't make it easy!

My concern (If you want to call it that) is in the food/drink areas. I'm a pop-a-holic and I was told pop on the ship is about 2-3$ can, as is bottled water. I don't drink coffee, tea or juice. I guess I'll have to learn to drink them, or save up my nickels and quarters for water and pop splurges! Also, there are no snacks available (except limited ones for purchase). I'm admittedly snacky. Guess I'll have to pack some granola bars and Wheat thins? What a silly thing for me to think about, eh? We're not sophisticated eaters here in the farmlands of NE (population 250). "Going out to dinner" means walking to the Tavern for chicken strips and waffel fries, ha ha! My daughter and I read through a Russ Cruise menu and decided that we might be the first cruises to come home thinner than when we left! :) It will be an adventure to try so many different things.

Happy New Year!

Many thanks for your kind message. Sorry your tours were so crowded. Seems as though unfortunately the ships travel in convoy and the stops are mostly crowded. I`m absolutely not a tour person but in some countries it just seems the easiest option. Can be aggravationg at times! After I`ve done my research I have strong opinions about what I want and it rarely includes shopping.

Our Gate 1 tour was very well priced $1,650 each including tours, thanks to a Travelzoo offer earlier. We don`t have high expectations of the ship (It`s not a luxury cruise after all) and with the savings are having 3 nights at the Savoy in Moscow. We intend to take some private tours where we can set the agenda.

Will get our invitation from the hotel and organise our visa with the embassy ourselves. Just not sure how early as we will be in France for 6 weeks before the cruise and I believe it can`t be earlier than 3 months. Have taken advantage of the earlybird specials and flights are booked and paid for.

Our itinerary has a tour of the Catherine Palace grounds on the final day but we`ll have to see how we can include the interior and perhaps find our own way back to the ship for the final dinner

Denny

Many thanks for your kind message. Sorry your tours were so crowded. Seems as though unfortunately the ships travel in convoy and the stops are mostly crowded. I`m absolutely not a tour person but in some countries it just seems the easiest option. Can be aggravationg at times! After I`ve done my research I have strong opinions about what I want and it rarely includes shopping.

Our Gate 1 tour was very well priced $1,650 each including tours, thanks to a Travelzoo offer earlier. We don`t have high expectations of the ship (It`s not a luxury cruise after all) and with the savings are having 3 nights at the Savoy in Moscow. We intend to take some private tours where we can set the agenda.

Will get our invitation from the hotel and organise our visa with the embassy ourselves. Just not sure how early as we will be in France for 6 weeks before the cruise and I believe it can`t be earlier than 3 months. Have taken advantage of the earlybird specials and flights are booked and paid for.

Our itinerary has a tour of the Catherine Palace grounds on the final day but we`ll have to see how we can include the interior and perhaps find our own way back to the ship for the final dinner

Denny

The interior of Catherine's Palace is a must see. Why would your company even go there without going inside?

Be aware that Catherine's Palace is on the opposite side of StP from the cruise port and about 35 miles from the city. I would make sure that you can find transport, such as a taxi. I would imagine that a taxi from there to the cruise port would be quite expensive.

Thanks for your remark 4774Papa. Got me thinking.

So many palaces so little time!

The included tour is to Peterhof park and delving a little deeper (It always starts off confusing doesn`t it!) can see it`s nowhere near the Catherine Palace which gets a total miss from what I can find at the moment. How amazing!

There is a free day on the ship so a private tour that day is probably the way to go as I`m trying to save our land days for the city. The ships optional for this day is Pushkin and Pavlovsk Palace and Park.

Assume price has something to do with it but would expect not too many people would do a second trip to Russia and it`s a real shame to miss the great sights.

Thanks for your remark 4774Papa. Got me thinking.

So many palaces so little time!

The included tour is to Peterhof park and delving a little deeper (It always starts off confusing doesn`t it!) can see it`s nowhere near the Catherine Palace which gets a total miss from what I can find at the moment. How amazing!

There is a free day on the ship so a private tour that day is probably the way to go as I`m trying to save our land days for the city. The ships optional for this day is Pushkin and Pavlovsk Palace and Park.

Assume price has something to do with it but would expect not too many people would do a second trip to Russia and it`s a real shame to miss the great sights.

Peterhof is in the same area as Catherine's Palace, Southwest of StP. You may wish to inquire with your tour company. Pushkin is probably Cathernine's Palace.

http://www.saint-petersburg.com/pushkin/index.asp

Pavlovsk is great to see, but not as significant as Catherine or Peterhof.

My travel agent did give me a detailed itinerary for the Russ. I can post it later if you're interested (must boogie off to work in a few minutes here). Lots of up at 6, exercizes at 6:15, breakfast at 6:30, leave for tours at 7:30, etc. There area also lots of fun evening activities planned for the "quiet" nights (no tours) or for the folks who don't book tours. One night you make your own motroiska dolls (sp-sorry), there;'s the "elegant dressed" nights and a talent show. My daughter and I thought it all sounded like fun!

If you're interested I'll post tonight.

Clip......

(2) toilet paper - luckily we brought our own because the daily allotment was one roll. One day, I left mine out (Scott - 1000 sheets) and was not given a new roll that day. Our running joke was "did you get a roll of tp today?"

It is possible to use just one square. I won't elaborate on this forum, but if you know any GI who was in the Korean conflict, or the Vietnam war, ask them for the instructions that their drill sergeant provided., And most importantly, don't lose the corner you tore off of the single square!

I spent 20+ years in my Countries military and I can relate to your story on toilet paper but surely if you pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a "cruise of a lifetime" you should NEVER have to worry about the supply of toilet paper. If you do then you're going with the wrong company.

rationed toilet paper?? wow.

we were once at an airport cannot remember where but remember seeing a lady with one of those large economy packs of toilet paper, about 8-12 rolls.

we thought it was odd to carry that as hand luggage but after reading about the practice on some boats perhaps she was heading off to join 1 of those?

how cheap and tacky. have not considered the company is it a budget line?

I spent 20+ years in my Countries military and I can relate to your story on toilet paper but surely if you pay thousands and thousands of dollars for a "cruise of a lifetime" you should NEVER have to worry about the supply of toilet paper. If you do then you're going with the wrong company.

I read that during WWII that the British soldiers were only give three squares of toilet tissue per day. I think American GIs were given something like 23 squares per day.

I'm booked the week after you. What would you like to know?

I was hoping to find somone on our cruise to share expenses with on a tour in St. Petersburg. Also was wondering how much free time we will have in Moscow after the included tours so I can make plans on my own.

Do you know if there are hairdryers in the rooms?

I have done alot of research but still looking for everything I can find.

Thanks

Swunky, there are no hair dryers in the rooms. Most of the rooms have two beds (they look narrower than twins), a mini fridge and not much else. I've read we need to bring our own soap and shampoo too.

Is yours a Moscow to St Pete run?

Free time in Moscow (M to SP run), the 2nd day is considered a "free" day. If you haven't chosen one of their optional tours, you can get a ride to the city center. You'd leave the ship at 9AM, I believe it's a long ride into Moscow (I know it's about 2 hours from ship to airport). The ride back leaves at 1PM. If you venture forth on your own, you're required to be at the ship by 5:15PM for a 5:30 departure to Uglich.

On the 1st full day, of course is the Moscow City Tour, which leaves at 8:30AM and leaves Moscow at 6PM. Some people will stay behind for optional tours. I wonder if it's possible to explore Moscow on your own and catch a ride back with the late tour people? That I don't know. But I know the Circus and Kostroma show start at 7:30- the ship will serve a 1030 supper for the folks returning from those shows. The people on the Moscow by night tour won't return until around 1AM. June has the midnight sun in Russia, so "night" has a whole new meaning!

My daughter and I are planning to arrive in Moscow a day early so we don't have to worry about delayed flights, and also to give us a chance to explore a little bit on our own (especially the GUM store!).

I hope this helps a bit. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on too and have "talked" to a couple of people who have taken the cruise. I don't want any surprises I can avoid! :)

We were not on your tour, but with Vantage. A couple of things you might want to know.

GUM is great to visit, but everything is very very expensive.

We did Moscow by Night (in August) and it was great.

Do you get a Kremlin tour? That would be a big one to miss.

Archived