R34D1NG 17

4U70M471C4LLY

W17H 0U7 3V3N

7H1NK1NG 4B0U7 17,

B3 PR0UD! 0NLY

C3R741N P30PL3 C4N

R34D 7H15.

Here's another:

I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid, aocdcrnig to rseecrah at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mttaer in waht oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rhgit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whoutit a pboerlm. Tihs is bucseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey ltteer by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Aaznmig, huh? Yaeh and I awlyas tghhuot slelinpg was ipmorantt!

B3 PR0UD! 0NLY

C3R741N P30PL3 C4N

R34D 7H15.

So what does it mean if I can read this? And, it was true... by the time I got to the line that said it would be easier and my reading would become faster... well, it did. So, what does that mean? Don't keep me hangin'! :D

You know your Dad always says that no one else on the planet thinks the way that I do... don't make him right! LOL.

Linda! Have I seemed inhuman?quote]

Not inhuman just super human. You seem to have it all together with the diet and the excerise. To see that even you backslide once in a while means there might be hope for me yet and then you get back up and keep at it.

I did some Zumba yesterday and in trying to do the latin moves twisted my knee funny. It hurt all night and into this morning. I told my DH that I hurt and didn't want to walk. He said, just do what you feel like. Well, I felt like a hot chocolate with whip cream and going back to bed with a book and the cat but that doesn't solve anything and what would Anita do. So I took some Ibprofen and started out. Today I walked a dirt road just outside of the park. It was so exciting to watch the tracks of animals who walked there last night, from bobcat to raccoon to deer it was exciting to do and I actually felt better after I got home.

We have been doubling up on our water intake and both of us are in line to loose more than three pounds tomorrow at our weigh in. That makes 10 pounds in all so far. Not great but it gets me closer to our goal.

So you, Anita, have to take some credit for inspiring and motivating me into this.

Lindaler. Hi there.

You know that I'm Anita's Mom, right?

Let me talk a little bit about knee issues. I know that coordination is learned movement and you have to get your brain actively engaged in order to move your body in the way that you want to.

You and I are the same age.

This is what I know about knees and Zumba. Are you familiar with the dance called "cumbia?" This is the one that mimics having one leg be positioned on the floor with non-movement while the other leg is moving. Anita is good at finding dance steps on youtube; I'm not as savvy, but I tried to find one for you.

This dance routine was a real problem for me until Anita analyzed what I was doing wrong. Basically, my feet were not moving in the same direction as my knees; this routine hasn't been a problem since we discussed my knee mechanics and I make a very concentrated effort to make sure that my knees and feet are moving in the same direction. The movement that she makes around 1:25 on this song is the one that was giving me fits. What I do is actually turn my body in the direction of the movement so that my feet are heading in the same direction as my knees. Anyway, in case your last class had a lot of cumbia moves in it, then I'd suggest looking at yourself in the mirror and make absolutely sure that your feet are traveling in the same direction as your movement. I sure hope that I'm making sense.

The other problem move for me is the box step or the jazzy box step. This is the move where you hit the four corners of the imaginary box on the floor? Anyway, if the instructor wants to do a box step where you cross your feet; in other words, imagine taking your left foot and placing it in front of your right foot so that your body forms an "x" and then shifting your weight back onto your right foot and then taking your left foot and bringing it back to the original position.... well that cross over movement is a killer to my knee(s) and hip(s). Anita told me that this type of movement can be a problem if you step wrong and exert too much stress on your joint(s) or if you have tight hips. So, the simple answer to doing that type of box step is to NOT cross over; just do a movement where your foot goes forward without making the "x." Again, I hope that I'm making sense.

Here's a fact: FOR EVERY ONE LB OF WEIGHT LOST, YOU TAKE 4 LBS OF PRESSURE OFF OF YOUR KNEE. FOR EVERY ONE LB OF WEIGHT LOST, YOU TAKE 3 LBS OF PRESSURE OFF OF YOUR HIP JOINT. FOR EVERY ONE LB OF WEIGHT LOST, YOU TAKE 9 LBS OF PRESSURE OFF OF YOUR PATELLA FEMORAL JOINT (the one used when you climb stairs or stand up from a seated position).

Isn't that a big WOW.

OK. You did the absolute best thing for your knee by taking a walk. One of the things that you have to do is move the joint and get the blood flowing through it. Keeping the joint immobile (even if it included a good cup of hot chocolate!) would have been the worst thing for you to do. The key is to have gentle, non-stressed movement. If you are at all interested in yoga or pilates then those movements would be great for you to do. Kind of wakeup movements for the body in the morning, etc.

So, yeah!

And if you are interested in supplements, then a good supplement is Glucosomine (if you aren't allergic to shellfilsh, etc so look up this recommendation if it is news to you to make sure that it would be a good idea).

The last thing that I know about knees is that their alignment depends upon the balance between your quadriceps and hamstring muscles. So, if you have tight hamstrings, you can throw your knee alignment out of whack. With Zumba, you are doing quite a bit of work for your quadriceps, especially if your instructor likes to do any toning movements like squats. Just make sure that your hamstrings don't tighten up. Again, specific yoga moves would be good or at least making sure that you thoroughly stretch your hamstrings after class!

Edited to add: I have been in the process of typing this response over a period of time...Mom posted while I was replying...but I didn't have a chance to read what she posted before I posted because I didn't even see she had posted. It'll be fun to go back and read what she wrote! But keep that in mind...because we could be repetitive.

So you, Anita, have to take some credit for inspiring and motivating me into this.

Mom has reported in the past that the success rate of those that have some sort of support system is SO MUCH higher than those that go it alone. That support system does not have to be in person...it can be someone you know and talk to on the phone...or amazingly enough...it can be a virtual group like this thread. I'm so glad that you are inspired and motivated!

I'm very sorry to read that you twisted your knee...

Couple things...1. Pay attention to the direction that your toes and knees are pointing...they should be pointing in the same direction. One example of a move where you might have a lazy foot is in the "sleepy leg" move:

I've noticed that sometimes one foot doesn't want to point in the direction that you are moving and the foot will actually be pointing at an angle in the opposite direction...this is very stressful on the knee.

If your routines add a turn around move to the sleepy leg, like in this video:

You need to watch how you work your feet...do you drag your foot a bit or do you pick up your foot? Picking up your foot to hit the different angles puts lets stress on the knee...if you kind of drag or pivot your foot...then that is stressful on the knee.

The other steps that can have that kind of lazy foot that doesn't want to point in the direction that you are moving...and thus point in the same direction as your knee is a Salsa Travel Step...

Your knee can really get stressed if you actually cross your legs like the lead girl is in the following video...notice that the back girl on the right doesn't cross her legs, but does more of a step together step style:

I've also noticed a tendency to go pigeon toed, like this:

This is a tutorial video...which is sad...because I believe their technique is hard on the knees...it looks wiggly?...they don't show the feet much, but you can see that they are landing on their toes...if you can study their feet. Not good. I don't know if this woman is naturally pigeon-toed, but she has her toes pointed inward on many different steps:

http://video.about.com/exercise/Beginner-Zumba-Steps.htm

I believe that this is stressful on your knees because your weight isn't evenly distributed left to right on your feet...you end up with more weight on the outside of your foot...this can in turn affect the knee above.

This is proper form:

She even talks about landing flat on your feet. Your hip kind of sinks into the floor with the flat foot...the hip movement isn't necessarily a twisting movement...it's more like up and down, side to side...think of making the distance between your ribs and hips to be smaller on one side and longer on the other side....with your ribs and hips still facing the same direction. And notice that her hips, knees, and toes are all pointing forward.

Observe yourself, if you can...to see if you have either one of these tendencies...to have feet that point away from each other...or toward each other.

Also, try to notice what kind of movement you are doing if you feel that stress in your knee. We can talk about modifications that you could do to help, if your instructor isn't showing modifications. It's surprising how individual body mechanics really affect the body. Many times, I didn't realize certain moves that could be stressful...but the lady that owned the Curves I used to teach at had trouble with her knees and she would be very upfront with me in talking to me about when she had troubles so we could talk about the cause and what she could do differently.

Edited by Anita Latte

hi Ladies,

I know I´ve been away for quite some time. As some of you will remeber, I started a new job in april. All is well, jobwise, however I kinda dropped out of my workout schedule.

I made several attempts to get back in the groove and up to now did not find the neccessary motivation in myself to get going.

We are heading to a wedding today that the whole family has been preparing for for weeks. When we return tomorrow I´m all set to get back to some sports.

I´ll start out at the gym and than I´ll give Zumba another go next week. I have to find out if my right ankle and my knee are willing to dance or if I´ll habe to find another sport as these two joints have been bothering me even walking on flat surfaces for some time...

What else is new and exciting? As this is a cruise board: I´ve my next cruise lined up. We are heading for a transatlantic cruise (Italy to Miami) in early november *yeah*.

hi Ladies,

What else is new and exciting? As this is a cruise board: I´ve my next cruise lined up. We are heading for a transatlantic cruise (Italy to Miami) in early november *yeah*.

HELLO! We've missed you!

So, I can't believe that I'm going to miss you AGAIN by just a few weeks! I missed you in Venice by a week and now I'm going to miss you in Miami. I will be there at the end of November.

Are you going to stay on in Miami for any length of time? Will you be returning home from MIA or FLL? If you need any tips or information on the area, I might be able to help you because we've stayed in the area several times and I know quite a few people who might also be able to help with any information.

What ship are you sailing? Ports?

Sorry to hear about your joint issues, as well. Those joints are no joke when it comes to treating them with concern and attention. Thinking good thoughts for you and hoping you can return to Zumba.

Enjoy the wedding! Tell us the highlights. :D

Wow, there have been so many interesting posts this week, I feel like I just have to chime in. I’m so excited to see so much information sharing going on. I find it so helpful.

First, Anita, while I am not happy for you that you had your recent battle with backsliding, I am so glad you shared with us because we are all here to support each other, even indomitable souls like you who don’t seem to need it. :) I’m happy that you’re posting as you work this out because everyone can learn from your experience, and you articulate your ideas so well. I had a backslide that lasted 6 or 7 years so you really should cut yourself some slack!

Oh, I do have a new (old) fave in my class, a Mark Anthony song called “Need to Know” which I like because it’s one of the few I can sing along with as we dance! Our teacher asked us to share some music with her and she would choreograph to it, and one of the other ladies brought it in. My second new favorite, I don’t know the name, we have to shout Opa!, Opa! during the chorus. It’s fun. I bought some beautiful music in Cambodia that I'm going to give her.

Second, the idea of community is SO important, and is really the backbone of other successful programs like WW or AA that seek to fundamentally change behavior. I’m starting to finally get to know the women in my Zumba class in spite of the language barrier, and it is so nice! One of the many minor tragedies for me of my career change was losing the community of like-minded people that I spent hours with every day. Some people are happy to sit by themselves in a cube all day, but we Zumba folks are not like that, we need to dance together!

What your mom shared about our bodies returning to a physical state that was learned was so wise. Also, genetics are a powerful force -- all I have to do is look at my mother to know where my belly and long legs came from. My sister has the pear shape that comes from my father’s side.

There was an excellent documentary on PBS a few years back about epigenetics, or how our behavior can influence how our genes are passed to our kids. It basically said that, for example, if you overeat and become fat, even though your family may have started out with “thin” genes your families genes will adapt over time to express as fat genes, and vice versa. So, it’s not completely behavioral or genetic, but a combination of those two forces acting together. This is a very unscientific synopsis, but if you are interested you can read more about epigenetics on the Web.

About the brain study paragraph – this is always shared around on teaching websites. Our eyes don’t read one letter at a time, they constantly track back and forth. Context is everything. At a seminar once, the instructor wrote “An elephant… “ on the board and asked everyone to complete the sentence. Of course we all knew it was the beginning of a joke! But the exercise was meant as a reminder that our ESL students would not have the context to sort that out. I think things like that are SO interesting, I love reading about our quirky brains.

As for knee injuries, well, I know a few things about that. However, I am not a doctor and I don’t even play one on TV, but in addition to NSAIDS to reduce swelling and manage pain I generally ice my knees for ten minutes after a workout. I also use nightly massage with Ben Gay or similar to stimulate blood flow and work on the tissues if my knees are hurting. I have a tendency to chronic patellar tendonitis so I also wear patellar straps when I work out (you can find them on the web), NOT the ace bandage type that compress the front of the knee. I don’t do any movement that requires a more than 90 degree bend in the knee, which really puts strain on the patellar and quadriceps tendons, like some people do in a lunge. I generally stretch those tendons gently myself at the end of class while I'm warm.

For anyone doing Zumba, or any other sport, really, I double and triple Anita and Pam’s recommendations to really watch that your knees stay over your toes. I’m not supposed to twist my knees so I modify any Zumba steps that I feel are putting that kind of pressure on them. When I saw the video that Anita posted of the pigeon-toed girls I just wanted to cry for them -- I know what their future holds and it isn’t pretty. The knee is a hinge joint like your elbow but with more lateral motion, which is what gets us into trouble. Some weight-lifting leg extensions in the gym will help to strengthen the quads and take some of the strain off your knee joints.

In spite of my crappy knees, I plan to do Zumba and participate in sports until I’m old and gray. If you are like me, then you have to understand that a little extra care and preparation are involved, but if I can do it anyone can.

Opa! Opa!

KASI!!! I'm so excited to see you posting! I think it is so difficult to establish an exercise schedule with something like a new job...I totally relate because of our move. I'm so glad that your job is going well. I hope that your knee and ankle are okay. Is Annie still teaching?

Ferguson...we are going hiking tomorrow morning! Do you have a nice place to go?

Margaret...I have a routine to "I Need to Know"...I use it as a pre-stretch, cool down kind of song. It's a great cha cha...kind of sexy...I like it a lot. When I choreographed mine, I borrowed a lot from this routine:

But I changed it a bit, because all the turns...ugh...I felt dizzy...LOL!

I might know the Opa Opa song...I'll have to see if it is what I think it could be.

Meanwhile...my lazy kitchen attitude has taken it's toll...when I was doing so much Zumba...I didn't have to be quite as careful with my food intake...but now that I am struggling in the activity department...it is more important than ever to get the food situation under control.

It used to be that I was eating a big variety of fresh, raw veggies with lunch. DH eats his every work day...and I was doing good to cut myself a portion when I would cut him a portion...but lately...yeah...haven't been doing that. For one...DH has been making his own lunch (like he did for 9 weeks while I was still in Texas) and I haven't mentioned to him that he should cut me some too...two...if I have been the one fixing his lunch...it's been a hurried affair at o'dark thirty in the morning, trying to get it together while he showers because we didn't do it the night before...being pressed for time...I just hurry through his and say to myself that I'll do my own later.

Yeah, right.

I actually did cut myself some veggies ONCE since we've moved into this new home...and I have to say...I was chewing...and chewing...and chewing...and half-way through the plate...I was like...O. M. G....am I done YET?!? Because that is a serious workout on the jaw to gnaw your way through a whole mess of raw veggies.

And man oh man...was it ever filling...

SO. I spent the better part of today organizing and thoroughly cleaning the kitchen. What had appeared to be a clean kitchen when we moved in...soon proved itself to NOT be...and so it hasn't been settled...

The pantry was a major issue because the wire style shelving wasn't stable...the wall anchors on several shelves were broken...so that was my project for Thursday and Friday. That done...I was able to move the non-daily items and majority of small appliances from the kitchen into that pantry, which is HUGE...a walk-in style with U-shaped shelves...seriously...it's as big as a typical laundry room. Then I reorganized the different areas of this small kitchen...including the hard working area under the sink...and I cleaned like MAD.

I am very happy to report that the vast majority of the kitchen is clean and organized. I did empty the lost leftovers from the fridge...but I have yet to really tackle the fridge...get my systems into place there...but that is somewhat part and parcel with grocery shopping...which is HIGH on the to do list tomorrow. Over and over again, they say, you can't out train a bad diet. I know this. It's even worse when you are struggling to get your activity in...so managing my food has hit a major priority.

I have two issues that I am dealing with that I know are diet related.

The first is how dehydrated I am...I am SO dehydrated...I can hardly stand myself!! It is still humid in GA...but not nearly as humid as Houston...and I am SO DRY...I know that water intake has always been rough...but I think the lack of exercise schedule has somehow made it harder for me to remember water...isn't that sad? To have to remember water? I have a couple water pitchers...I am going to use one to calculate how many pitchers a day I should be drinking...and us that pitcher to keep track of my intake. This is goal one. Water. Bob said so too. To also help me with the water, I will keep cut lemons and limes in the fridge. That was so awesome when I did that before!

The second is a personal problem for which I can say that I am SO HAPPY that I found Smooth Move tea so long ago. I don't know that I have ever mentioned this before...but Mom knows...and if ever you are having troubles moving your bowels...ahem...drink a cup of Smooth Move tea before bed. It works. It really does. It ain't called SMOOTH MOVE for nothin'. :rolleyes: Thank goodness too because I am drinking some right now...for the second time since we moved into this new home.

I think the lack of the veggies...the lack of water...the lack of regular exercise...and too much wheat has gotten to me.

So...in a related dietary move...I WILL be eating my raw veggie plate with lunch again. I'll deal with the wheat if the veggies, water, and exercise don't help me.

So obviously...I need to exercise as well. Duh.

I have found a dance studio near me. It isn't open in the mornings. They currently have classes from mid-afternoon to fairly late. I'm thinking about approaching them to talk about having a morning Zumba class. I have to be honest and say that I'm nervous...so I have to talk myself up and get more excited than nervous...figure out my approach...my time line...what I really want...etc. And then go for it.

Meanwhile...since I have this thought on the horizon...I need to plan my at home schedule for next week.

So tomorrow.

I'll be cleaning and organizing the fridge. Meal planning. Grocery shopping. Prepping for the week to come. Hiking with DH and DS in the morning. Planning my Zumba schedule for the week...including personal workouts, backing up my music library, renewing my liability insurance, planning songs/new songs time, and choreography/learning new routine time.

So I have 3 totally achievable goals for next week. Which begins today...Sunday...because it's after midnight :eek::

1. Water

2. Veggies

3. Zumba planning toward teaching

Margaret...I can't count the number of times that I have achieved a measure of success in the weight loss/get healthy department...only to MOVE...seriously...and then struggle all over again. It began in college. Leaving home after a great summer of working out. Totally understandable. After college...I actually ended up back home...lost a lot of the college weight...moved up to CO with DH and struggled. Have some progress finally in CO...moved to KS. Had some progress in KS...got pregnant...moved several times. Then in DFW...had some really good success...then moved to Houston. And became worse than ever. The last move within Houston area landed me in the attendance zone of Kelly's class...and we all know...I've now moved to GA.

And I'm struggling a bit.

BUT. This move will not have the same result as past moves. The past doesn't have to indicate the future. It does not have to be a pattern. I can...and WILL...overcome. I am having a hard time because the grocery stores are so different...the food offered is so different...my routine is all messed up...but I can adapt. Mom actually found out about a place from people that used to live in Atlanta...it looks totally awesome...and reminds me a the most fabulous grocery store in Texas called "Central Market"...the Atlanta one is called Buford Highway Farmers Market. It's about an hour away...but it just might be worth it...especially since I have to restock just about EVERYTHING. Not tomorrow though...that would be too much.

I'll share my plans tomorrow. It'll help me solidify what they are.

Thanks for the warm Welcome back :)

The wedding was lovely, lots of people, lots of music, the last left the party around 4 am today...

Pam,

we are cruising on Costa Mediterranea, leaving Savona, Itlay on november 5th and arriving in Miami on november 20th (4 stops in the caribbean before reaching Florida).

We are than planning to do some shopping and leave for Germany in the afternoon of november 23rd.

Its a pitty that I´ll miss you by a few days, again.

I´m heading to the roof terrace to enjoy some late summer sun and I´ll try to do some sports tomorrow.

I´ll report back on how that is going.

I´ll definitely try to make it to Annie´s sometime this week.

On a positive side, even though I dropped out of my workout schedule, I managed not to gain any more weight, that´s almost a win in my oppinion.

Enjoy your Sunday, wherever you are.

Wow, things are hopping here!

Anita, I know just where you're coming from (although my backslides usually get me WAY deeper in the hole than where you are before I see my backside and have to get back on track!;))

Just the fact that you've recognized it now and already have your plan in place, I have no doubt that you'll come out ahead sooner than later.

Myself, I thought I was staying on track pretty well (I've been a size 10 for a couple of years after nipping it in the bud when I started moving from a 14 to a 14W), but was just disappointed to go shopping needing some pants to find that I was back up a size. However, I have to say that it really depended on the cut - I ended up in a pair of size 10s that were even a bit loose in the waist.

We leave for our next cruise in exactly 4 weeks, and my dress for the first formal night is a size 10 dress that I first bought 20 years ago and 15 lbs lighter (I know that's OLD, but I love it!) To me it's perfect for Samba's Grill where we plan to dine the first formal night - very tropical but dressy. I can actually fit into it and BREATHE! But I would really like to lose at least a few lbs before then to know I'll be comfortable after a feast!

The other dress is the maxi dress that I 'met' Anita in on the Fashion Boards when I bought it the same week she posted herself in it. It's an 8, and still fits perfectly...and it's SO comfortable.

I'm really enjoying the discussion here - the explanation and links of the Zumba moves, the info about water (I KNOW that's always been the key to my being successful in weight loss and just feeling better in general), everyone's journeys and trials and tribulations!

Anita, did you see the rough video on youtube of the Buford Highway Farmers Market? It seems like one of those places you could totally get lost in; it looks like the food equivalent of IKEA!

Anyway.

Bob Harper and his Skinny Rules.

Thought I would share a little more. There is NOTHING NEW here! But, it bears repeating and remembering.

Rule 2. Don't Drink Your Calories

Now, it's obvious that we would automatically think of some favorite things: like beer, wine... well, any alcohol... but.. it's more than that! Don't drink orange juice; eat an orange. Don't drink apple juice; eat an apple; Don't drink grape juice; eat grapes. Added to this list: energy replacement drinks, soda, smoothies that you don't make yourself and don't control.

Rule 3. Eat Protein at Every Meal. Or. Stay. Hungry. and. Grouchy.

How much protein? Take your weight and divide by 2 and that's the number of grams of protein you should be eating every day. Of course, the recommended protein source is... fish. Followed by eggs, poultry, pork, beef, cheese, tofu.

Rule 4. Slash your intake of Refined Flours and Grains.

Be aware of marketing in labels! Just because it says "low in fat," or "all natural," or "whole" or "heart healthy" doesn't mean much. You should always read the ingredients label... not the marketing verbiage on the front of the container.

Here's a personal story. My DH went to the store and came home with ketchup. He's the one who eats ketchup. He knows enough to read labels to make sure that they don't contain soy, but he usually doesn't read labels for food items that I don't eat. So, here's the ingredients list of the ketchup that I buy for him: Organic tomato concentrate (water, organic tomato paste), organic sugar, organic vinegar, salt, organic onion powder, organic spices. He brought home a different ketchup that had the words "Low Salt" on the front because he's a "nut" about sodium content (sometimes he goes over the deep end). Anyway, I couldn't believe that this bottle was filled with chemicals that I couldn't pronounce because there was an asterisk on the Low Salt description and the print on the back of the bottle explained the asterisk to be a salt substitute that uses potassium for flavoring and a warning to watch your potassium levels! And a prominent ingredient on the label was.... high fructose corn syrup!... so the caveat here is to be careful and use your reading glasses (if you have to) at the grocery store!

Bottom line: the ingredient label should have the words "whole grain" as part of the description of the flour that is being used.

Rule 5. Eat 30 to 50 Grams of Fiber a Day.

Fiber from food, not from supplements.

The Bob Harper list: apples, blueberries, peaches, pears, raspberries, strawberries, acorn squash, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, spinach, zucchini, black-eyed peas, Ezekiel bread, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lima beans, oatmeal, whole-grain pasta.

OK. There's only 15 more Rules! That's it! :D

Enough for today. Will put up a bit more information before book needs to be returned to the library. Like I said, nothing new... but worth remembering

I did NOT see the Youtube video but I may have to look that up. I'm thinking that it sounds like a field trip kind of store. Like spend time going through my recipe books...gathering a list of hard to find ingredients...maybe even setting aside some grocery budget money each week to save up for the big FIELD TRIP to this grocery store! I know we talked about it on the phone...but I'm seriously thinking about getting geared up for a major cooking and freezing marathon toward the end of October/the beginning of November...soups, broths, anything and everything that I can stock my freezer with to make my life easier during the holidays.

You betcha.

Because life during the holidays can be hectic.

And I am also loving all this chatter...it's good stuff.

Here's our meal plan.

DH and I eat oatmeal for breakfast. He likes frozen blueberries (they totally melt in the hot oatmeal and they don't go bad), sliced almonds, and hemp milk. I like banana, sliced almonds, and hemp milk. We both take the sliced almonds and kind of crunch them in our hands to break them up a bit more.

Mid-morning snack is based on our experience with Fat Flush. Hard-boiled eggs and fruit. If everyone will recall...I've talked about how drinking lemon water first thing in the morning (the juice of one-half a lemon in hot water) and eating two eggs a day increased fat loss in people who made no other changes in their diet. So we do this.

I like soups and chilis for lunch...so I'm making my favorite black bean chili...which I top with fresh cilantro and avocado. DH will flip flop between whatever I make and his typical leftover grilled chicken and hot veggie. We both will have a plethora of cut, fresh veggies to gnaw on.

Afternoon fruit. Afternoon nuts.

Dinner will be a fabulous entree salad. I really love salads, so this is not a hardship for me. Grilled chicken. Kalamata olives. Marinaded artichokes. Feta Cheese. Cucumbers. Grape tomatoes. Red or green onions. SO YUMMY. OR! Tomatoes. Cucumbers. Cilantro. Avocado. Grilled sweet peppers. YUM!!

I love this one dressing from Rick Bayless. It's a Lime Cilantro dressing. I just bought some salad dressing bottles from Target for $3.99. My plan is to make my own dressings and marinades. I bought 4 of them.

Dessert will be homemade smoothies with greek yogurt, whey protein, frozen berry mix, etc.

This is an easy week of food. You just have to have leftover chicken available. And lots of veggies.

The fridge is totally clean. The shopping has been done. There is already a selection of leftover chicken. Life is good. I'm happy with the plan.

FYI...DS eats eggs and ham and fruit for breakfast. He eats chicken tacos for lunch with grapes or carrots. After school snack of yogurt or cottage cheese with fruit/veggies and nuts. His dinner is chicken with veggie sides. Smoothie for dessert.

He is sharing in the reduced side dishes at dinner for more veggie eating. Mom will share but this is another Bob rule...ya'll will see later.

I did a lot of research regarding the storage of fruit and veggies. I'll see how my current set up goes and share later. I generally do well with my produce and don't have to throw too much away...but it's been a while since I stocked up like I currently am though.

Edited by Anita Latte

Hey, there, Anita: Since you've already refreshed your memory on the storage of fruits and veggies, would love to be reminded as well.

So, on with Bob Harper wisdoms.

Rule 6. Eat Apples and Berries Every Single Day. Every. Single. Day!

This bears some explanation. So, briefly: apples and berries are rich in a class of natural molecules called phytochemicals. In the human body, these are usually involved in some stage of metabolism. The most important phytochemicals, for us, are anthocyanins, usually concentrated in the skin of colorful fruits and vegetables.

So, Bob cites some research and studies (let me know if you're interested enough to want to hear the research behind this rule).

Rule 7. NO CARBS AFTER LUNCH

The carbs that Bob is targeting are those that are based on sugar. For some reason, he (like so many people) doesn't break down simple vs complex carbs! Anyway, it's all about protein and fiber in the afternoon.

Here's why: Sugar cues the pancreas to make insulin, which in turn triggers appetite. The later in the day that you consume sugar, the more likely it is that you will get food cravings late at night. Late-night cravings are not a good thing!

Two guiding principles:

Snack on fiber, protein, vegetables, and fresh fruits (not dried fruits).

Eat lean and green at night.

Rule 8. Learn to Read Food Labels so You Know What You are Eating

Rule 9. Stop Guessing About Portion Size and Get It Right - For Good

Rule 10. No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones

Rule 11. Get Rid of Those White Potatoes

Bottom line: don't abuse your potato privileges! LOL.

Rule 12. Make One Day A Week Meatless

Rule 13. Get Rid of Fast Foods and Fried Foods

Rule 14. Eat A Real Breakfast

Rule 15. Make Your Own Food and Eat At Least 10 Meals a Week at Home

Rule 16. Banish High-Salt Foods

Rule 17. Eat Your Vegetables - Just Do It

Rule 18. Go to Bed Hungry

Rule 19. Sleep Right

Rule 20. Plan One Splurge Meal a Week

Note: this is not a splurge DAY. The best splurge meals are breakfast or lunch. You DON'T get to go to a fast food place! Write down the calorie count before you eat. This is the time to have your dessert. This is the time to find out: do you want truly forbidden foods or bigger portions? The answer will tell you a lot about what you want when you feel deprived. Remember, this splurge meal is an ingredient in your healthy lifestyle eating pattern.

Well, that's it.

I thought that I would post this only because it was easy to do and Bob just stated some very basic precepts to a Skinny Eating Lifestyle. We talk a lot on here about how we are engaged in living a healthy lifestyle as opposed to simply being on a diet or exercising to achieve a specific goal and then moving forward with our REAL life. We want the healthy lifestyle TO BE our REAL LIFE.

Bob says that one of the true exercise myths is that you can exercise and the weight will come off. He said that, at first, he thought that he could exercise anyone to the point of overcoming their diet. He has since adjusted his thinking because there just isn't any way that exercise can overcome caloric overload. In his words: That four-mile walk you take every morning? It burns about 350 calories - not even a small bag of fries at McDonald's. That hour of Pilates or yoga? Ditto - not even equal to a large chai latte at Starbucks.

So, the book is going back to the library in 4 days. I'll keep it until it has to be returned; I can't renew it because there's a significant waiting list for this book! It seems that people are still trying to find the "magic" way to handle weight issues. I wanted to read the book because I wanted to see what Bob Harper would say! I was incredibly surprised that he focused so much more on diet as a component of weight loss than exercise.

Anyway, if anyone has questions about any of the rules... wants to have more of an explanation for them... or wants any examples of what he means... please ask fairly quickly so I can reference the book for you.

Hey, there, Anita: Since you've already refreshed your memory on the storage of fruits and veggies, would love to be reminded as well.

So, on with Bob Harper wisdoms.

Rule 6. Eat Apples and Berries Every Single Day. Every. Single. Day!

This bears some explanation. So, briefly: apples and berries are rich in a class of natural molecules called phytochemicals. In the human body, these are usually involved in some stage of metabolism. The most important phytochemicals, for us, are anthocyanins, usually concentrated in the skin of colorful fruits and vegetables.

So, Bob cites some research and studies (let me know if you're interested enough to want to hear the research behind this rule).

Rule 7. NO CARBS AFTER LUNCH

The carbs that Bob is targeting are those that are based on sugar. For some reason, he (like so many people) doesn't break down simple vs complex carbs! Anyway, it's all about protein and fiber in the afternoon.

Here's why: Sugar cues the pancreas to make insulin, which in turn triggers appetite. The later in the day that you consume sugar, the more likely it is that you will get food cravings late at night. Late-night cravings are not a good thing!

Two guiding principles:

Snack on fiber, protein, vegetables, and fresh fruits (not dried fruits).

Eat lean and green at night.

Rule 8. Learn to Read Food Labels so You Know What You are Eating

Rule 9. Stop Guessing About Portion Size and Get It Right - For Good

Rule 10. No More Added Sweeteners, Including Artificial Ones

Rule 11. Get Rid of Those White Potatoes

Bottom line: don't abuse your potato privileges! LOL.

Rule 12. Make One Day A Week Meatless

Rule 13. Get Rid of Fast Foods and Fried Foods

Rule 14. Eat A Real Breakfast

Rule 15. Make Your Own Food and Eat At Least 10 Meals a Week at Home

Rule 16. Banish High-Salt Foods

Rule 17. Eat Your Vegetables - Just Do It

Rule 18. Go to Bed Hungry

Rule 19. Sleep Right

Rule 20. Plan One Splurge Meal a Week

Note: this is not a splurge DAY. The best splurge meals are breakfast or lunch. You DON'T get to go to a fast food place! Write down the calorie count before you eat. This is the time to have your dessert. This is the time to find out: do you want truly forbidden foods or bigger portions? The answer will tell you a lot about what you want when you feel deprived. Remember, this splurge meal is an ingredient in your healthy lifestyle eating pattern.

Well, that's it.

I thought that I would post this only because it was easy to do and Bob just stated some very basic precepts to a Skinny Eating Lifestyle. We talk a lot on here about how we are engaged in living a healthy lifestyle as opposed to simply being on a diet or exercising to achieve a specific goal and then moving forward with our REAL life. We want the healthy lifestyle TO BE our REAL LIFE.

Bob says that one of the true exercise myths is that you can exercise and the weight will come off. He said that, at first, he thought that he could exercise anyone to the point of overcoming their diet. He has since adjusted his thinking because there just isn't any way that exercise can overcome caloric overload. In his words: That four-mile walk you take every morning? It burns about 350 calories - not even a small bag of fries at McDonald's. That hour of Pilates or yoga? Ditto - not even equal to a large chai latte at Starbucks.

So, the book is going back to the library in 4 days. I'll keep it until it has to be returned; I can't renew it because there's a significant waiting list for this book! It seems that people are still trying to find the "magic" way to handle weight issues. I wanted to read the book because I wanted to see what Bob Harper would say! I was incredibly surprised that he focused so much more on diet as a component of weight loss than exercise.

Anyway, if anyone has questions about any of the rules... wants to have more of an explanation for them... or wants any examples of what he means... please ask fairly quickly so I can reference the book for you.

I'd be interested in knowing what he means by sleeping right. As someone experiencing nightly hot flashes I'd like to just sleep, even wrong :)

Cardiovascular Improvement.

So, I wanted to know!

I've been doing Zumba now for almost 2 years. And, I'm a data gatherer. Researcher, etc.

So, I have absolutely a LOT of data on my Zumba workouts: length of time (duration), peak heart rate (intensity), average heart rate (endurance), instructor, date (frequency), calorie burn.

I thought that I would compare LAST year's month to THIS year's month and see what kind of improvement I could see.

ZERO.

Zero Improvement!

If I were British, I would have been gobsmacked.

On August 30, 2012:

Young's class. 157 average heart rate, 173 peak heart rate, 888 calorie burn.

On August 29, 2011:

Young's class. 154 average heart rate, 172 peak heart rate, 868 calorie burn.

What?!? :(

So, I went on a mad research to gather information on how to measure cardio performance. And this is what I discovered. You can't measure your improvement in cardio sessions by either the max heart rate or the average heart rate achieved. There are way too many variables; i.e., the quality of sleep the night before, the quality of diet the day before, the ability to oxygenate due to the humidity and quality of air at the time of exercise, the body's health as in whether it is fighting allergies or an infection of any kind...

There are 3 things that determine an improvement in cardio health. They are ALL blood related!

1. Your cholesterol levels. If your Good Cholestoreal readings get higher and bad readings get lower.

2. Your blood pressure. If you've improved any high blood pressure readings.

3. Your blood sugar levels.

I did not know this.

Doesn't matter. I'll still collect the data... because that's what I DO!... but, it's now just a matter of seeing the consistency. And it's really, really surprising how consistent it is.

I had the best birthday celebration last year. (milestone birthday). Anyway, we took the Celebrity Solstice from Ft Lauderdale to Barcelona, so I got to be in Barcelona for my birthday! Yeah! Then, we boarded the Voyager of the Seas and went from Barcelona to Venice. So I got to see Venice again! Yeah! This was a long trip.

I prepared for the trip by being really diligent with my Zumba classes. In fact, there were a few days that I went to TWO classes on the SAME day! :eek: Yeah, I was a little nuts.

My last class before we took off for our vacation was on April 26, 2011.

Class was 55 minutes. Avg HR: 150; calories burned: 773

The next class that I attended was on May 28, 2011.

Class was 55 minutes. Avg HR: 161; calories burned: 857

I was operating with an older HR monitor, so I didn't have the data for the max HR. But, I can tell from the average HR and the calorie burn, that I had to have hit a higher max HR just because of the math. That layoff period of 30+ days did have an effect, for sure.

I won't bore you with a bunch of data. To sum up: I went to class on May 28th (a Saturday). My schedule was then: the next Tuesday, followed by Thursday, Saturday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday....

and that's when the stats returned to "normal." Avg HR: 153, class duration: 50 minutes, calories burned: 715.

So, it only took 6 class sessions to reachieve the level of effort before the layoff. I found this to be kind of interesting. I'm mainly showing Anita this information because I think it shows how quickly we can recover from a break in our routines.... if we GET BACK to IT... :D

This data has some difficulty, of course, in being thoroughly analyzed. I mean... I know the max HR that I hit, but I don't know how many times I hit that rate or how long my heart stayed at that rate... I know the average HR, but I don't know if it's lower because I started at a lower heart rate, had a longer warm up routine, had a longer cool down song, etc. So, this data is anything that could be used "scientifically," and I don't put an incredible amount of thought into looking at it. But, over the course of many, many Zumba classes, I know that I can see a pattern.

And. The Pattern. Is. Good! I know that I'm having to really increase my body's effort during class to maintain that average HR. I used to be able to get a fairly significant HR... just by showing up! Now, I have to really engage my arms, etc. in order to achieve the same level of intensity as evidenced by the average HR data. Anyway, that's just me.

I'd be interested in knowing what he means by sleeping right. As someone experiencing nightly hot flashes I'd like to just sleep, even wrong :)

:D:D:D

I so hear you!

OK. Bob says that as we age our body stops making the hormones required for sound sleep. He also states that no one knows exactly how to make someone sleep better, but there are some general rules to follow.

Avoid alcohol after eight. You'd think it would make you sleep better, but alcohol is just another form of sugar, and sugar destablilizes the low metabolic state needed to sustain sleep.

Avoid coffee, tea, and other stimulants after 3:00pm.

If you must eat, eat vegetables and high-fiber fruits. Also chamomile or valerian root tea.

Use aromatic soaps in your bath water. Put a dab of lavender oil on each temple and below your nose.

Unplug your bedroom.

Prepare your body for sleep: learn to meditate and/or do simple, restful yoga poses.

That's what Bob says. He's a Man. Statement. of. Obvious. Fact.

From what I've read about hot flashes, the only tips that I remember are:

dress in lightweight sleepwear. Try sleepwear out of a moisture wicking fabric. Avoid heavy blankets. Consider using a room fan to cool the air and increase its circulation. Reduce stress and try relaxation techniques. These are the notes that I took from a book specifically about sleep problems.

I know. It's not much help.

There was also a recommendation for introducing soy into your diet. I have to avoid soy because of thyroid issues, but I'm just passing this along because it was recommended as a phytoestrogen compound which is supposed to help with menopausal symptoms. Dust and bother. I sure wish that there was something more helpful out there!

Thanks. Most of that stuff I already knew but I was hoping he'd have some magical way to induce sleep. My husband is always complaining that I won't open up the registers in the bedroom because I like it cold, even in the winter. We have a nice down comforter that I won't let him put on the bed because having several thinner layers works better for me because I can push one down or remove if needed. :D

I would like to know more about the splurge meal and what it reveals about our diet. I think if I went to the buffet tomorrow and ate what ever I wanted it would be mac and cheese and sourcream on my mexican food. I don't even crave the sweets until after 8 so lunch would find me with alfrado sauces and cream of brocilli soups and things like that.

Edited by lindaler

I would like to know more about the splurge meal and what it reveals about our diet. I think if I went to the buffet tomorrow and ate what ever I wanted it would be mac and cheese and sourcream on my mexican food. I don't even crave the sweets until after 8 so lunch would find me with alfrado sauces and cream of brocilli soups and things like that.

Hi, Linda. How's the knee?

Basically, it's a psychological profile. A splurge meal is helpful for those who have episodic emotional bingeing. Bob states that when you plan something, you are in control. And when you're in control of your splurge, you don't later think that you've failed. And that puts an end to the old binge-shame-diet-binge cycle.

I'm turning 40 in March 2012. My mom found an outrageous deal on a Spring Break cruise in March 2012, so we booked a big family vacation for my parents, my husband, my son and myself which will be in honor of my big milestone.

It's also the goal for life change including major weightloss.

I started taking Zumba classes the week of Sept 12. I'm up to 3 Zumba classes a week and 2 Pilates classes.

I LOVE Zumba. I know it has a lot to do with my instructor, who I also love. I've had great success so far losing 4 inches around both my hips and bust and 1 inch each around each thigh. I'm totally pumped and more motivated than ever to continue getting healthy.

Anyone else out there a Zumba fan? Or doing Pilates? I thought we could exchange stories, songs, encouragement...

WARNING...I love to talk...A LOT...and I will also be using this thread as a kind of record of some other changes I have going on around the house...including, but certainly not limited to, cooking healthy homemade meals and breaking the restaurant/eating out cycle.

Hey there, Yeah I LOVE Zumba. I lost about 85lbs doing zumba, spin, bootcamp and other things. I started Feb 22nd 2011. I agree I love my instructor so much so that she started at Golds then went to LA Fit to a friends place and now her very own studio and Ive followed her every step of the way. My motivation on the 1st day was a cruise I was taking and my motivation now is to see how much I can lose by this next cruise in April.

I'm turning 40 in March 2012. My mom found an outrageous deal on a Spring Break cruise in March 2012, so we booked a big family vacation for my parents, my husband, my son and myself which will be in honor of my big milestone.

It's also the goal for life change including major weightloss.

I started taking Zumba classes the week of Sept 12. I'm up to 3 Zumba classes a week and 2 Pilates classes.

I LOVE Zumba. I know it has a lot to do with my instructor, who I also love. I've had great success so far losing 4 inches around both my hips and bust and 1 inch each around each thigh. I'm totally pumped and more motivated than ever to continue getting healthy.

Anyone else out there a Zumba fan? Or doing Pilates? I thought we could exchange stories, songs, encouragement...

WARNING...I love to talk...A LOT...and I will also be using this thread as a kind of record of some other changes I have going on around the house...including, but certainly not limited to, cooking healthy homemade meals and breaking the restaurant/eating out cycle.

I hope anyone interested in these topics will join me!

Hey there, Yeah I LOVE Zumba. I lost about 85lbs doing zumba, spin, bootcamp and other things. I started Feb 22nd 2011. I agree I love my instructor so much so that she started at Golds then went to LA Fit to a friends place and now her very own studio and Ive followed her every step of the way. My motivation on the 1st day was a cruise I was taking and my motivation now is to see how much I can lose by this next cruise in April.

Just joined a gym! I have 45-50 lbs to loose :( I have only been to one class "spin" - it was so hard I could not keep up at all. The Zumba class is not called Zumba but instead Latin Heat. My friend told me it was the same as Zumba so starting next week I am going to try one of those classes :) Congrats on your weight loss this far, I will be cruising in March also :D

OMG I love spin class. I sweat more than in any other class however according to my HRM I dont lose that many more calories. Love the challenge though

Storing produce...

First...it is important to separate ethylene producing fruits from other produce that is affected by the ethylene. For instance...ethylene will make leafy veggies and eggplants have russet spotting and turn cucumbers and brocolli yellow. Based upon my research, I have dedicated the fruit drawer of my fridge to ethylene producing fruits, including:

Apples

Apricots

Cantelope

Mangos

Necterines

Papaya

Peaches

Pears

Plums

My research said that berries and lemons/limes were not necessarily affected by ethylene. I have my lemons and limes in separate, sealed gallon-sized ZipLoc bags. Supposedly, storing these particular citrus fruits in these bags helps them last longer. I know, Mom, that you've had good success with these. In past tries, I have not...HOWEVER...I read others that had the same issues I did...and to overcome my issues...I needed to clean the lemons and limes before storing to remove any potential mold spores present AND let the lemons/limes reach fridge temperature before sealing them in the bags. I was having an issue with condensation in my bags? The conclusion was that the fruit was too warm to be sealed and that's why there was condensation...and likely mold spores already present and the wet, sealed bag was a perfect growing condition for the mold.

For berries...we are entering the phase of the year where they just aren't worth buying...they are already so moldy in the stores...we are going frozen with berries now and reduced to smoothie berries.

These ethylene producing fruits like cold and moist conditions...so I made a small towel wet, wrung it out as much as possible, and lined the drawer with the towel, then laid a scrap of non-skid under-rug mat over the towel (to allow pockets of air under the fruit; it's what I had), removed the fruit from the plastic bags and laid them out in the drawer.

My second produce drawer in my fridge is a veggie or meats drawer. It is the smaller one on the bottom with the slant in the drawer...I've designated it for a meat drawer. It is where all the leftover chicken is...cheese...lunchmeat...etc.

I have another shallow drawer that is a part of another shelf in the fridge. Usually, this is the drawer for lunchmeat? I have designated this drawer for certain veggies. It is the perfect drawer for bagged salad (I buy the bags of organic Romaine hearts), herbs (I wrap my cilantro in a damp towel), carrots, celery...etc.

I have specialty storage containers that I bought years ago now...I INVESTED in these containers...they weren't super expensive, but not necessarily cheap:

http://freshvac.com/products/professional.php

They work. They really do. I have 3 sizes...2 large squares (I don't see this size now), 2 taller, medium rectangles, 2 shorter, medium rectangles. These are designated to live all in the shelves of my fridge with produce. I have chicken in the 2 taller, mediums. The 2 shorter have two different grapes. One large square has cut honeydew...the other has peppers and cucumbers, especially partially cut ones that have been used to prepare our cut veggies.

I have other tubs in my fridge to help with organization. These are just typical clear tubs that fit well on my shelves, not built in drawers. One tub has cauliflower, brocolli, and uncut peppers. I have cut up cauliflower and brocolli in the past and stored them in the freshvacs...it works...BUT...it smells...there is something about those particular veggies that smell less than lovely when stored cut.

What I like about my current organization in the fridge is that all my produce can breathe...it isn't shoved so tightly into the drawers...and it is in plain sight. And it looks pretty. There's something about easily seeing bright shiny apples, peaches...makes you want one...I mean really...fruit and vegetables are bright and colorful and generally attractive things to look at...when you can see them...it makes you want them.