Will Antarctica be Off-limits to Bigger Cruise Ships?

Smokeyham

Is there any update on the information, which has been posted on a number of different sites, that big-ship cruising to Antarctica may be ending shortly due to environmental concerns?

This information was featured in an article in June 27, 2010 Sydney (AU) Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/this-season-may-be-the-last-for-cruise-liners-in-antarctic-20100628-zddl.html

Thanks for any info....

I haven't heard anything new, although the last time I looked, Holland America still had a cruise or 2 on there schedule for next year that included Antarctica.

All I know is that I'm leaving for Santiago on Tuesday and am scheduled to be sailing off Antarctica Jan. 29 - 31! :D

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
Celebrity cruises are sending the infinity in February 2012, I would imagine this may be the last.

They are doing 2 14 day cruises.

It will be interesting to follow this. I suspect there is enough demand that they wil try to find ways to have cleaner burning fuels, and so allow the larger ships back.

Celebrity cruises are sending the infinity in February 2012, I would imagine this may be the last.

They are doing 2 14 day cruises.

They are sailing in 2013 Feb x 2 as I am booked on the 17th feb can,t wait as had to cancel last feb

Kathy:D

I'm thinking about doing it also, just waiting for the price of flights to come out, so I can get a price as I would be travelling solo.

I know it's going to be a lot but don't think the cruises on the bigger ships will be around for much longer.

Kathy27. If you don't mind me asking who did you book it with, was it direct with celebrity or through a travel agent?

Have you booked it on a cruise only basis or with flights?

Any info would be appriciated as I really want to book this.

Thanks

Kathy27. If you don't mind me asking who did you book it with, was it direct with celebrity or through a travel agent?

Have you booked it on a cruise only basis or with flights?

Any info would be appriciated as I really want to book this.

Thanks

Booked cruise only with travel agent using air miles for flights

Kathy

• 2 months later...

We are booked on a Jan. 2013 HAL cruise to Antarctica. A HAL captain told me they will need to change the fuel they use in order to continue cruising in the area....involves taking out fuel on board and replacing it with the other.

• 11 months later...

Archived