Feel like I'm being nickel and dimed.

lardan

but do they not charge you for a "better" pc of meat in the MDR?

yes cruise fares are cheeper, and yes the cruiseline does have to make their money, but in truth, i would rather pay a higher fare and not feel like I am always reaching into my pocket.

mark my words, soon their will be a charge for 'seating areas' in the shows and by the pool.

t

These cruiselines exist. They have names like Regent, Crystal and Seabourne.

Enjoy your cruisefare on those.

I did forget one thing in my original post, and Oasis cruisers, correct me if I'm wrong. Are they now charging if I'd like a filet in the main dining room?? Something like $15?? Do they still have the option of having a steak at every meal if I do not like the entree??? And if so, is it the $15 filet option??

The $14.95 filet option is a Chops Grille steak. It is merely an option to order a filet from the specialty restaurant in the main dining room. There is no charge in the MDR for anything that used to be free and there is a beef dish on the menu every night. Chops Grille does not allow kids after 7 and it is a 2 hour commitment. This option allows for families to order the steak but not have to go to the specialty restaurant. It is a concept some people here on CC just can't seem to get, so please don't get sucked in to the "what will they charge for next" void.

Yes, Oasis does have a lot of options. Some are charged and some are not. Why focus on charge items? :confused: Don't forget, Oasis also has the Park Cafe, Wipeout Cafe, and Solarium Bistro (lunch) that are no charge. Considering most ships don't have anything more than the MDR and buffet, that's really expanding your free options.

I can accept an extra charge for specialty restaurants. But to charge an additional fee for a “better” steak in the MDR is unacceptable. When did they start this? Is it on all ships? IMHO it cheapens the whole experience. What’s next…scrambled eggs are free at breakfast but over easy will cost $2.95?

As for the future I’m sure things will eventually come full circle. One of the main stream lines will decide a good way to attract customers will be to once again offer a truly all inclusive food experience. I just doubt any of us will be around to see it.

Edit: Aquahound I just saw your post. I understand where you are coming from but I doubt RCCL did it for the convenience of MDR patrons.

I can accept an extra charge for specialty restaurants. But to charge an additional fee for a “better” steak in the MDR is unacceptable. When did they start this? Is it on all ships? IMHO it cheapens the whole experience. What’s next…scrambled eggs are free at breakfast but over easy will cost $2.95?

As for the future I’m sure things will eventually come full circle. One of the main stream lines will decide a good way to attract customers will be to once again offer a truly all inclusive food experience. I just doubt any of us will be around to see it. :(

Yes, it is on all ships.

It is an item which was NOT previously offered in the MDR. Now it is. It costs $14.95.

Don't like it?

Don't order it.

One thing you will find with Johnny Rockets on the Oasis (not sure of other ships with a JR)--the breakfast is free....and its awesome. When DH and I sailed Oasis last May, it was our favorite spot for breakfast. MUCH better than the windjammer or the MDR.

I've never gone for lunch or dinner, as I don't want to pay additional expense for my meals when I feel my cruise fare already included them.

Rachel

Don't like it?

Don't order it.

I would never order something I did not like but thanks for the advice. :rolleyes: The point is that the additional fees that most of the cruise lines are imposing just serve to cheapen the whole experience. I would rather pay a higher initial fare and return to the days where a cruise was really something special. They way they are heading now it will eventually be no better than a mediocre land based vacation.

I have sailed on RCI, Carnival, and NCL. More cruises on NCL than the other two. If I had a Nickel for every poster on the NCL boards who complained about their Nickel and Diming; I'd have alot of Nickels. All the mainstram cruiselines now have multiple dining options that require a surcharge. These are OPTIONAL. You still have the Buffets and MDR that are free as always. Cruise fares are cheaper now than they were 10 years ago. I rather have lower fares, and have the option to pay extra for specialty dining options.

Its cheaper today because they have a lot more cabins to sell then 10 years ago. Its about suppy and demand not because people are willing to pay for specialty restaurants/

I would never order something I did not like but thanks for the advice. :rolleyes: The point is that the additional fees that most of the cruise lines are imposing just serve to cheapen the whole experience. I would rather pay a higher initial fare and return to the days where a cruise was really something special. They way they are heading now it will eventually be no better than a mediocre land based vacation.

Exactly. The whole thing that got cruising off the ground imo is the whole "all the food's included." It's slowly escaping that theme, which is sad. I'm good with the chops/portofino thing but when you get into coffe shops, ice cream shops, seafood, mexican and so on it is no longer an all-inclusive type of experience.

I'll still cruise and choose where I want to spend the extra money as everyone here is suggesting kind of sarcastically - but that isn't the point. The point is that the direction is changing. And eventually, I do feel it will make customers consider other vacation options. For now, I'm good... down the road - who knows...

Yes, it is on all ships.

It is an item which was NOT previously offered in the MDR. Now it is. It costs $14.95.

Don't like it?

Don't order it.

True, but from what I have heard, yes only heard, the quality of the food in the MDR has gone down a few notches. This coming from family members and fellow cruise critic posters. I will be able to form my own opinion in less then 2 weeks. So now to have a great meal in the MDR you may have to pay a premium for that experience.

If it is true that the food is going down, then offering better food at a premium is a dangerous path for RCI.

Also, offering a steak in the MDR for a up sell of 14.95, cheapens the experience just as not dressing up in 1/2 decent clothing on formal night.

The cruise line advertises the MDR as a "fine dining" experience, but it seems they are falling shorter and shorter on this as the years pass. Probably good for the line as they are able to attract a bigger clientele to fill their even bigger ships.

:cool:

I would rather pay a higher initial fare and return to the days where a cruise was really something special. They way they are heading now it will eventually be no better than a mediocre land based vacation.

I honestly agree with much of your post, but since I already missed the days when cruising was really something special, I'd rather keep the fare on the low end so that I can afford to go at all, and then add in whatever I want to make it special for me. That being said, I don't really want to go for the 'bargain-basement' cruise lines either.

Rachel

I can truly see both sides of the coin here. It's nice to dangle a cheap cruise fare out there to get people on the ship and then ask them to pay for whatever 'extras' they want once on board.

I can also see how people who have been longtime cruisers feel that cruising isn't what it used to be (I'm a newbie) and feel they are being nickle and dimed to death.

If Chops and Portafino were 'included' everyone would want to go. Can you imagine trying to make sure all 4000 Freedom cruisers got a seat at one of these restaurants because it would be included? Everyone would want to go after reading how good the food is and even with reservations there would be no way to handle all the people.

Here's a new thought: What if RCI offered a "standard" cruise fare and a truly "all inclusive" cruise fare? You could pay (for example) $699 for your inside cabin at the "standard" rate or $899 for the "all inclusive" rate. It could be as easy as a sticker on your sea pass. This would make the people who want to pay the rack rate happy that don't want to spend more money because they wouldn't anyway and it would make the people who would like to try the specialty restaurants or the $15 MDR/Chops steak happy because they wouldn't have spend extra money onboard.

Anyone?

As for the future I’m sure things will eventually come full circle. One of the main stream lines will decide a good way to attract customers will be to once again offer a truly all inclusive food experience. I just doubt any of us will be around to see it.

Edit: Aquahound I just saw your post. I understand where you are coming from but I doubt RCCL did it for the convenience of MDR patrons.

Ok you heard the part about kids and timing, and you have your doubts. here is another thought: family of four with one real steak lover while the spouse and 2 friends like the main dining room fare as well or better. So all four can go to Chops paying extra for all four. Or as in the old days all could have gone to the MDR and the steak lover could go without his upscale fix. or all can go to the MDR and the steak lover can have his filet.

I can truly see both sides of the coin here. It's nice to dangle a cheap cruise fare out there to get people on the ship and then ask them to pay for whatever 'extras' they want once on board.

I can also see how people who have been longtime cruisers feel that cruising isn't what it used to be (I'm a newbie) and feel they are being nickle and dimed to death.

If Chops and Portafino were 'included' everyone would want to go. Can you imagine trying to make sure all 4000 Freedom cruisers got a seat at one of these restaurants because it would be included? Everyone would want to go after reading how good the food is and even with reservations there would be no way to handle all the people.

Here's a new thought: What if RCI offered a "standard" cruise fare and a truly "all inclusive" cruise fare? You could pay (for example) $699 for your inside cabin at the "standard" rate or $899 for the "all inclusive" rate. It could be as easy as a sticker on your sea pass. This would make the people who want to pay the rack rate happy that don't want to spend more money because they wouldn't anyway and it would make the people who would like to try the specialty restaurants or the $15 MDR/Chops steak happy because they wouldn't have spend extra money onboard.

Anyone?

I don't think that's such a bad idea. Leaves the options open but it would have to be less than a $200 increase. But the concept is worth considering imo.

I disagree. First of all, ALL mainstream cruiselines have the same general approach to these things. RC is not going to suffer in comparison to them.

Second of all, if you want to see "nickel and diming" in action, as a previous poster mentioned, go on NCL.

OK- this may rustle feathers, but after cruising on NCL and RCI, I do not see a lot of difference in the options that are for a fee. Maybe this is perception on some posters part? The one area I enjoyed RCI was the aditional non-fee activities, but it seems like this is dwindling to primarily the rock wall (although the water parks for kids are definitely interesting). I do think that there is a potential danger for RCI to begin to be viewed as comparable to NCL. Who knows, one day Carnival or NCL may be viewed as a better experience- honestly, who thought Southwest Airlines would ever be viewed as more inclusive. Bag charges net a profit, I am sure, but at what cost to the other airlines' images?

The point is that the additional fees that most of the cruise lines are imposing just serve to cheapen the whole experience.

I guess I just don't see it. In the example of the Chops Grille filet, the menu option is printed off to the right among the choices that are available every night, which also includes a free steak. It is separate from the main menu that changes nightly. Maybe I'm just not hard to please, but the presence of the filet on the menu does not make the whole experience feel any cheaper to me.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I've had to pay for recently that was free in the past.

I guess I just don't see it. In the example of the Chops Grille filet, the menu option is printed off to the right among the choices that are available every night, which also includes a free steak. It is separate from the main menu that changes nightly. Maybe I'm just not hard to please, but the presence of the filet on the menu does not make the whole experience feel any cheaper to me.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything I've had to pay for recently that was free in the past.

Look at the Oasis class - there's tons of additional venues that are additional costs. It is what it is but the points that are being made are valid imo. It's all to keep the booking costs down and get people on board and to spend their money once on.

Do you have to buy the additional things? Of course not, but you're on vacation and this is the nation of why not! I personally have no problem having the choice - I think it's great to keep the costs down and once onboard you do what you wish. But it is changing the direction of "all food included" which really got cruises popular. Yes, you can eat for free around the clock but that is not the point.

Look at the Oasis class - there's tons of additional venues that are additional costs. It is what it is but the points that are being made are valid imo. It's all to keep the booking costs down and get people on board and to spend their money once on.

Right. But on what ships do those options exist and are free? None. I think what we have here is a concept everyone can agree exists, but different people just see it differently. The way I see it, I can sit in the MDR or WJ like I do on every other ship for free, or I can branch out a night or two and pay a little extra......or not. I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy. Why not look at it as these places are attracting people, therefore making the free options less crowded? ;)

Right. But on what ships do those options exist and are free? None. I think what we have here is a concept everyone can agree exists, but different people just see it differently. The way I see it, I can sit in the MDR or WJ like I do on every other ship for free, or I can branch out a night or two and pay a little extra......or not. I guess I'm just a glass half full kind of guy. Why not look at it as these places are attracting people, therefore making the free options less crowded? ;)

I agree with you. I like the options - I'm just saying I see the other side of the coin. There are no other ships where they are free - cause they don't exist! I believe we are on the same page here!

I personally like to be able to spend a little bit more for a different experience... or don't if I don't want to. It's nice to switch it up... that's what the RCI Visa card is for :D

I have been a CC member for over 9 years, and while I don’t have many posts, I have been lurking for a long time. I have been on 6 RCCL cruises, 1 Princess, and 1 HAL. I haven’t been on a cruise in over 3 years, however, and recently booked Oasis of the Seas for April, which brought me back to these boards.

It seems to me that RCCL, and perhaps the other lines, but I am only looking at RCCL, are nickel and diming their guests on food items and such. This seemed to start when they instituted a “cover charge” for Johnny Rockets. It used to be included in your cruise fare, and all you paid for was your beverage or shake if you wanted one.

Now, in addition to the cover charge for JR, I see there is a Seafood Shack on the Oasis that they are charging a la carte for. In addition to an ice cream parlor which is extra (I know about the soft serve machines), and Starbucks; will it ever end. Is there going to be a time when I will have a “cover charge” to eat in the main dining room?? (Not serious, but trying to make a point).

What really got me on a rant, however, was the $3.95 charge for room service after midnight. Talk about the ultimate nickel and diming. Either offer “free” room service, or make it a charge. What could possibly make me ordering a hamburger at 1:00 am cost the cruiseline more than if I ordered it at 11:00 pm. And while I’m at it, and this is just semantics, but on the dining option flyer from RCCL, it tells me what is “complimentary” and what costs money. Please don’t tell me it’s complimentary; tell me it’s included in my fare; use the word “included”. That’s just a little pet peeve.

Now, before I get flamed, I know that noone is holding a gun to my head to make me go on this cruise, noone is making me eat in the Seafood Shack or JR, and noone is making me pay for the room service or the ice cream parlor. But all my food used to be “included” (complimentary) in my cruise fare; besides the specialty restaurants and beverages, if there was food offered on the ship, it was included.

Just my rant for the day. Bye.

You do understand that you have more places to eat that are included in the fare (no extra charge) than on any other ship you have sailed.

But all my food used to be “included” (complimentary) in my cruise fare....

I'm hoping you understand (or will after reading these replies) that your food is included. Our family of four went on Oasis without spending one penny extra on food. Not one cent. It can be done. You are not being nickel and dimed.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

I would say quit your complaining, or don't go on the darn cruise. you complain about a room service charge after midnight. Most people don't stuff themselves again after midnight anyway when they just got done eating dinner either 2 to 4 hours prior.

If you don't like the cover charge, eat breakfast, lunch and dinner in the dining room or buffet where there isn't a charge. I think some people get way out of character and just demand and think the world owes them everything for nothing.

Archived