River Cruises in Europe in October/November

Dodger Blue

We're considering taking a river cruise along the Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg) in late October/early November. The biggest reason is this is when the rates are the lowest. However, we're a little concerned about the weather. Without asking anyone to predict the weather, can anyone give us a clue as to what we might expect during that period? Thanks much.

It could be in the 50's - and perhaps some rain. We did France - departed in the middle of the month (Oct 17) - and it was in the 50's most days - some days with some really heavy winds.

However, we did have a few days into the 60's.

If the rain cooperates, I'd expect to have similar weather than you would find in upstate New York, New England, and the Southern ONtario - cool mornings, warming up a little in the afternoons - and then getting cool very rapidly once the sun goes down.

We go to Europe most every year in late October or November, often over the Thanksgiving holiday, and stay 10-15 days. We choose this time for the lower rates, the extra vacation days it gives us and the fact that it is our anniversary.

Hotel rates are usually quite good and crowds are less. We are happy to put up with some rain to have these other benefits.

Of the dozen or so trips at this time of year to various parts of Europe, weather has been all over the place. In 2009 we had lots of rain; in 2010 not a drop but lots of snow. In 2007 and 2008 we had occasional rain showers but not enough to be a bother and temps from the 40s to the 70s in the daytime, all in the same area (Tuscany).

Weather is a crapshoot and we are willing to risk the rain to save the $$S.

We're considering taking a river cruise along the Danube (Budapest to Nuremberg) in late October/early November. The biggest reason is this is when the rates are the lowest. However, we're a little concerned about the weather. Without asking anyone to predict the weather, can anyone give us a clue as to what we might expect during that period? Thanks much.

The trip planner page on the Weather Underground web site will give you an idea re: average highs, lows, precipitation etc. at particular sites.

October and early November would work for us but I would not consider any river or land tours later than early in December until March. Reason is that one never knows about the weather here in the states - snow and airport closures. Hate to have a tour scheduled and find that on the departure date the airport is closed. Maybe toooooo cautious but that's my thoughts. Willard

We are cruising the Danube with Avalon (Budapest to Prague) mid-November 2011 due to good rates being offered although we too were somewhat concerned about the weather uncertainity. Hard to pass up the lower rates and will adapt to weather, have adequate winter clothing. Our 1st cruise was early-mid October on the Rhine & Mosele and the weather was beautiful most days, cool towards the end as we got closer to Amsterdam but most enjoyable with plenty days of sunshine in Germany. Only rain was when we reach the Netherlands. Weather very unpredictable. Go with the itinerary, cruise line and rates of your choice, always make the best of it and you will have a great time!:)

October and early November would work for us but I would not consider any river or land tours later than early in December until March. Reason is that one never knows about the weather here in the states - snow and airport closures. Hate to have a tour scheduled and find that on the departure date the airport is closed. Maybe toooooo cautious but that's my thoughts. Willard

The popular season for river cruises in some areas is winter. The Mekong is one example, Egypt another.

For Europe, most lines do not offer any sailings beyond the Christmas market cruises. The ships are dry docked and updates made during this period and then they start up again for Tulip Time.

I agree that December weather can be iffy but the Christmas markets are magical and a unique experience.

I lived in Augsburg, Germany, just west of Munich for four years. I am a Southerner, and don't care for cold weather. Someone from farther north might not feel as I do. Oct/Nov is not the best time to tour central Europe, but it might be worth it, if prices are significantly lower. I personally would not go that time of the year, but you might handle the moderately cold weather better. The weather will be cold, but not bitter cold. You will need to take sweaters and a good jacket.

Dodger Blue, we took Viking River from Budapest to Passau over our Thanksgiving week. It was a last minute booking based upon price of the cruise and airfare on one we had wanted to take. While not marketed as a Christmas Market cruise, before booking we did some research and found that the Christmas Markets would be open in Hungary, Slovakia and Austria that week, and the one in Passau opened the day we arrived (Friday of our Thanksgiving week which historically has been when most in Germany open). The nice thing was most of the markets and cities were not overly crowded yet for the holiday season. Weather was mild at the beginning of the week and got progressively colder toward the end of the week. It snowed our last day in Passau and was very cold. Mid-week in Salzburg was a beautiful sunny day and around 40 degrees farenheit. It rained one day, our day in Melk. As you know on any trip weather is a gamble but we're glad we took this journey and ended up working for us.

I lived in Augsburg, Germany, just west of Munich for four years. I am a Southerner, and don't care for cold weather. Someone from farther north might not feel as I do. Oct/Nov is not the best time to tour central Europe, but it might be worth it, if prices are significantly lower. I personally would not go that time of the year, but you might handle the moderately cold weather better. The weather will be cold, but not bitter cold. You will need to take sweaters and a good jacket.

I live in FL and the part of the year I enjoy least is summer - which lasts for 6 months. I dislike the intense heat and storms and avoid flying due to the thunderstorms that are so common this time of year, not to mention hurricane watches and warnings.

The winter season is a nice change for us and we look forward to the possibility of snow. This winter was the coldest trip yet but it was also one of our most memorable visits to Europe, ever. The snow was magnificent and the scenery breathtaking, especially in the mountains of Austria.

We are going to Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany in November and looking forward to it. It will be our 9th winter visit and hopefully not our last.

The cost savings is a factor but also the lack of crowds. I would not visit Europe in the summer months - been there, done that and it was not a pleasure.

Well, weather is impossible to predict even short term let alone long term! We did a Danube cruise Passau to Budapest and were in Europe from 10/14/10-10/28/10. During that time it was rainy, often windy, and unseasonably cold, but the foliage was beautiful. The key is to be prepared with proper clothing and a good attitude no matter when you go. I am a obsessive researcher and planner, but accept that I cannot control the weather - only try and plan for it.

We have been to various parts of Europe in April, May, June, September and October. Weather-wise and crowd-wise we have had the best luck in mid to late September.

I often choose to travel in the shoulder seasons right before or after the highest rates, and try to book cabins right next to a next higher category. This strategy has worked well for us, but you need to make your selections based on what will work for you.

I live in FL and the part of the year I enjoy least is summer - which lasts for 6 months. I dislike the intense heat and storms and avoid flying due to the thunderstorms that are so common this time of year, not to mention hurricane watches and warnings.

The winter season is a nice change for us and we look forward to the possibility of snow. This winter was the coldest trip yet but it was also one of our most memorable visits to Europe, ever. The snow was magnificent and the scenery breathtaking, especially in the mountains of Austria.

We are going to Belgium, the Netherlands and Germany in November and looking forward to it. It will be our 9th winter visit and hopefully not our last.

The cost savings is a factor but also the lack of crowds. I would not visit Europe in the summer months - been there, done that and it was not a pleasure.

Each to their own. I live in South Georgia and love the warm weather. I bike ride a lot, and hate biking in sub 50 degree weather. Give me the sun and more sun. You can take all the snow, sleet, cold rain, fog and cold weather, I will take warm. I find this to be more true the older that I get. I am not older than dirt, but I am getting there.

The nice thing about central Europe in the summer is the long days. You have more time to enjoy touring. Also, most summers you find temps to be relatively mild compared to the southern USA. Of course they have summers that are the exception.

Give me the sun and more sun.

• 11 months later...

We are thinking of booking the Danube in November. We can afford to do 2 cruises that will begin 11/7 and last until 11/29.

If we move the cruise up to October, we can only afford to do 1 cruise...Bucharest to Budapest.

I am really concerned that it will be too cold to enjoy the outside decks and the tours in November. Would appreciate any input from people that have done these cruises.

We are thinking of booking the Danube in November. We can afford to do 2 cruises that will begin 11/7 and last until 11/29.

If we move the cruise up to October, we can only afford to do 1 cruise...Bucharest to Budapest.

I am really concerned that it will be too cold to enjoy the outside decks and the tours in November. Would appreciate any input from people that have done these cruises.

Terri,

We just completed our 2nd Avalon Cruise this past November 2011 on the Danube, Budapest to Prague and thought it was great!! I will preface it to say we don't mind colder temps as we live in Texas and have very warm weather for 6 months of the year so a Fall/Winter vacation is to our liking. On this most recent November cruise 11/14-11/25 with pre and post days spent in Hotels on each end, we had not a "drop" of rain or snow and were blessed with many days of clear weather and sunshine. There were some grey, wintry, foggy mornings and temps went into upper 20's at night but most of our day time temps were in the low 40's. The upper deck was used some on our 1 actual cruising day through the Wauchau valley, chilly but most who did not mind braving the chilly temps bundled up. The remainder of the cruising was done at night so there was not alot of time to actually sit up on deck. From what we were told, this was a bit out of the norm to be so dry with no rain or snow and milder temps, hence the low river level issues that were ongoing. Can never predict the weather from year to year. The benefit of a cruise in Late November is you may catch some of the Christmas Markets opening around Thanksgiving in some of your port cities which was an added benefit for us. We also very much enjoyed the Holiday festive atmosphere everywhere we went being that it was a late November cruise and there were Christmas decorations and trees being put up everywhere.

Our 1st cruise in 2010 was in early October on the Mosele and Rhine river and the river scenery was just beautiful with the vineyards at Harvest time and the Fall Foliage, deck was used more on that cruise due to river cruising time as well as scenery on those particular itineraries.

I would not hesitate to chance the weather in November, dress accordingly and enjoy the Holiday spirit that abounds on a future November cruise. But that is my personal opinion;)

On this most recent November cruise 11/14-11/25 with pre and post days spent in Hotels on each end, we had not a "drop" of rain or snow and were blessed with many days of clear weather and sunshine. There were some grey, wintry, foggy mornings and temps went into upper 20's at night but most of our day time temps were in the low 40's.

This year, we had extremely warm weather in the area, which is a-typical!

We always go in the late fall and prefer it.

In 2011, we did a Mosel and Rhine cruise that departed on 11-11 and had very pleasant weather, including our extended stay in Belgium. Some days we needed no more than a light jacket.

On Dec. 24th we arrived in Prague and spent a few days then cruised from Nuremberg to Vienna. We again had nice weather, including some bright and sunny days.

We are planning a trip next Thanksgiving Budapest to Prague and have no hesitation at all booking at this time of year. Our guide in Prague told us the city was much less crowded then in the more popular months and we did not have to deal with crowds anywhere. We were disappointed that there was no snow but managed a day trip to the Bavarian Alps where we got our fix.

As mentioned above, visiting during the holiday season is a special bonus. I dislike being here in FL for the holidays where it has never felt like Christmas and welcome the crisp weather and wonderful ambiance of Europe over the holiday season.

We did a Seine cruise in early Dec 2010. It is true that there was some cold-deck was not usable except for smokers but the crowds were smaller and the Christmas markets were enjoyable. We did get stranded by snow at the end but stranding in Paris is not so bad-we booked our own not that expensive hotel from the airport and then went back into town.

This year we went on the Rhine trip in Nov. The weather was not freezing cold but there was a lot of fog and several Rhine trips were altered due to low water (ours was before it got really bad-only minor changes). I would not recommend this trip in Nov (unless post Thanksgiving) because, the pretty part of the Rhine does not look as pretty in Nov (we had seen it in summer before) and the Christmas markets are still setting up but not really ready yet.

This was our second Nov trip to Europe with the other being a land trip to Italy a few years ago. On that trip we went from unseasonably warm in Rome to unseasonably wet in southern Italy. We had a good time but as said at the beginning of this thread, the weather at that time of year is unpredictable (a couple of rainy days on 2010 Oct Med cruise too) which is why there are bargains. I would stick with Oct or wait for early Dec to see the Christmas markets.

I would not cruise at that time of year, due to the early & long evenings. Once it gets dark in the afternoon, you miss too much scenery. Before the clocks go back, it would be Ok. That would be more of a factor for me, than the rain. We like to travel in the Spring, which is also off season.

Archived