first time cruising - top five tips

pansieFL

I couldn't agree more. My sister-in-law went on a cruise and the airline "misplaced" the suitcase containing all of her clothes. The airline tracked her cruise itinerary and had her luggage sent to Grand Cayman. Unfortunately the ship was unable to stop at this port beacause of rough seas. Needless to say, she had to buy clothes on the ship and at ports. Which, I'm sure other plus-sized women can attest to, is not an easy mission.

Another way is to only pack what you can handle in the allowed carry-ons. You always know where your stuff is; don't have to wait for it; and can get whatever you need when you need it. 16 days Alaska--9 land, 7 cruise. No hamper, used the drawers in the closet. (We did cheat and mail the formal gear ahead)

1. Try and check out of your hotel at 12.00 pm. If you leave earlier you will be waiting at the cruise terminel.

2. First to the muster drill means you will wait longer than anyone else and you will be squashed in the back. People line up six to seven deep.

3. Say away from art auctions they're a total rip off.

4. Midship lowest deck possible helps reduce the risk of getting seasick.

5. Always ask your travel agent to put in the notes you want an upsell call. You can always say no if you don't like the offer.;)

Welcome to Cruise Critic. My top five would be:

1) Fly into port at least a day early; it extends your vacation, minimizes the risk of a flight delay leading you to miss the ship and allows you to start the vacation nice and rested.

2) Join the Roll Call forum here on Cruise Critic for your cruise. It will allow you to chat with others going on that same exact cruise. Great way to get advice, learn from experienced cruisers, link up for group shore excursions and possibly make some friends.

3) Book at least one dinner in a specialty restaurant; while you have to pay extra, the food, service and ambiance generally make it well worth it and turn it into a very special evening.

4) Show up at the pier at around 11am for the start of your cruise; generally your boarding documents say to show up around 2pm, but most of the time you can actually board much earlier.

5) Visit Cruise Critic a lot; I have learned so much from helpful people on this site as well as made some friends I chatted with pre-cruise and then met during the cruise.

Gonzo-This was great advise--I particularly like the specialty restaurant reservation. You reminded me. Thank you.

I highly recommend arriving at the port a day early, starts the vacation off right as you can arrive at the ship in lots of time with no worries

And the tip that no one has mentioned: I pack half of my clothes in my husband's suitcase and half of his in mine, just in case one of our bags goes missing either left behind on the plane or delivered to the wrong room on the ship! At least each of us will have some of our wardrobe!!!

Sing it sister! My Mom had to survive on her Panama cruise for three days before her luggage caught up w/ her. Luckily the cruise line gave her some shipboard credit to buy a few things and one of her friends wore the same size clothes and shoes. If she had flown in a day early, her luggage would have had a chance to catch up with her. She even packed her BP meds in the suitcase. :( She learned a valuable lession on that trip.

In May 09, DH and I flew to Florida on different flights. I had a free ticket for my flight. :p I got a better price for his flight on a different carrier. I had flight delays and a few problems on my route. My luggage didn't catch up with me until 3 or 4 AM. But I was prepared, I had cross packed our clothes. The airline employees went out of their way to accomodate me. They were very impressed that I had cross-packed. It sure did save me a lot of hassle.

Some of the hotels have a drive and cruise option. You park the car at the hotel and they shuttle you to and from the ship. We paid $100 a night for our hotel in SF. They kept our car for 10 days, fed us breakfast and tranported us to the ship. But, they did not offer a pick-up from the ship, so we had to grab a taxi. No biggie. The parking at the cruise terminal was

$14 a day, so that would have cost us $140. :cool: Plus we had an extra day to play in SF. We met up with another couple that we met on our roll call for a trip to Alcatraz and then went to dinner.

Great recommendations found here!!!! I suggest:

1) Arrive at port area a day ahead of time to reduce stress of flight delays, etc.

2) Pack pet food kibbles to take to beach. If you want to see beautiful fish instantly, toss some out in front of you and have your underwater camera ready!

3) Travel Insurance - I haven't had to use it yet but I know of many people who have. What a way to ruin a vacation dream if you don't have it and need it!

4) Plan your own excursions to ease financial strain and to avoid crowded ship-planned excursions. Just be sure to research them first on Cruise Critic to find which ones are the best and which to avoid.

5) Pack a lanyard. Have a cruise associate punch a hole in you Sail & Sign card to attach to lanyard. No worries of your card slipping out of your pocket.

Guess we were in violation then because nobody ever said anything to us:)

We got an ice cream cone as we were leaving the ship in one port and they wouldn't let us leave the ship until we finished it! They are serious about not taking food off the ship!

Top 5 sometimes is not enough, but anyway here are mine from a "what worries me the most" preventative perspective...

1 - As mentioned earlier, plan on getting to your city of departure at least one day early, just in case weather, flight operations etc. become an issue. Nothing more stressful than worrying if the flight is going to make it in on time so you can get to the pier before the ship departs.

2 - Pack one or two items of clothing in your partners main suitcase, BUT also bring a carry-on bag (wheeled suitcase) that will fit in the planes overhead, that you never check - either on the flight or at the pier. This way you are ensured you will have some clothes. Also, keep your important documents/Rx's and valuables in this bag - if not on your person.

3 - Leave a little room in one or more of your suitcases when you initially pack at home, for items you purchase on the cruise.

4 - exercise before or during the cruise - you may put on some weight with all that good food available to you.

5 - When in all of the ports of call while on the cruise, make sure you have a watch on, and that it is set to the proper LOCAL time. Watch the time, and get back to the ship at LEAST 1 hour before the scheduled departure. You NEVER want to be the heartbroken couple that gets left on the pier because you did not get back to the ship in time before the ship departed.

Welcome....

Yup, do not break laws in a foriegn country, never a good idea and you can not bring fruit into ports, it's a BUG thing and not fair to the locale you are visiting.

Top Five in decending order...

#5. Fly to your departure port...as mentioned

#4. Obey ship/ports of call laws/rules....it's kinder to think of others too

#3. Research, and did I mention, research....excursions/ports/cruising....

#2. Know yourself and plan accordingly, if you do not like heights, do not book a zip line....if you cannot get around easily book something that will meet your needs....don't get caught up in the "must do's"

#1. Drink and plan for, WATER!

Now enjoy.....

1. Trip Insurance

2. Half the clothes/shoes

3. Bring twice the money

4. Saving $50 or $100 here or there may sound nice now, but at the end of the day, it's chump change considering what you're paying for the whole experience. Splurge and enjoy a little.

5. Relax, enjoy, don't sweat the small stuff.

I agree completely with the above list. Anything you forget, from suntan lotion to water shoes or OTC meds can be purchased on the ship or in a port. We now pack 1/2 the clothes (and put the undies and shoes in big zip-locks). We try to remember to carry a few first aid/OTC items, but if we forget something, we get it wherever we are...even if it costs a couple of dollars more. I'm on vacation so I sometimes splurge and I forgive myself immediately...I can see it on the smile in my pictures I shouldn't have purchased (LOL). Trip insurance...it's not a splurge if you lose all the money for the cruise if an emergency takes place and you can't go or if you have to get back suddenly. Have a great cruise!!! Take me with you would be #5 for me. :D

5) Pack a lanyard. Have a cruise associate punch a hole in you Sail & Sign card to attach to lanyard. No worries of your card slipping out of your pocket.

Don't make the mistake I did. I had plastic name badge holders left over from an event with a metal clip with teeth to attach to your clothes (kinda like these http://www.staples.com/Avery-Vinyl-Badge-Holders/product_SS1003393?cmArea=SC1:CG24:DP1520:CL140965 WITH a clip like this http://www.staples.com/Staples-Vinyl-Straps-with-Two-Hole-Clips-100-Pack/product_573105?cmArea=SC1:CG24:DP1520:CL140965)

They worked like a charm, stayed attached to my bathing suit & shirts all week without issue. One night close to the last day, I still had my DL in it with my S&S card (port day) and my husband and I were walking around the ship and it was more than a little windy. My plastic sleeve was bouncing all over the place and before I knew it my DL was lifted out of the sleeve by the wind and flew off the ship. I still had my passport in the cabin so debarking wasn't an issue... but if I used a lanyard again, I would not use the sleeve kind to carry my ID... I would use the hole-punch method for the S&S card.

I have also been told to bring a power strip for multiple plug in's.

Holland America requests you use their power strips. We asked our room steward for one and it was promptly delivered. If you use theirs, you don't have to pack yours. Also, I think its a fire prevention issue with the cruise line.

John

Be aware that the shore excursions you have arranged (and paid for) in advance may actually happen at a time different from the current time on the cruise ship. We were cruising newbies & in spite of diligently reading these boards & reviews, did not know this. Our cell phones were useless outside of the US. The Destination Port was in a different time zone than the Departure Port.

For instance, onboard the Carnival Spirit when we arrived in Cabo San Lucas harbor the time was 8 am, according to the clocks onboard. The time in Cabo was 9 am. So when we arrived at the Marina on the tender boat, we were already 1 hour late. Obviously we missed our morning excursion. We were offered the next launch of the excursion, which would have returned to the Marina AFTER the cruise ship was to leave port.

We ended up losing almost $80.00 which the excursion wholesaler refused to refund to us; NO ONE mentioned the time changes to us, either at the point of payment or onboard ship. The wholesaler's representative SHOULD have mentioned this. The Cruise Director onboard the ship SHOULD have mentioned this. The daily ship's newsletter SHOULD have mentioned this.

To say that we are "annoyed" at these failures does not come even close to describing our true feelings. We feel RIPPED OFF by the wholesaler, who had to know there is a difference; and we feel that the Cruise Director was NOT doing his job by neglecting to mention it. Carnival is also negligent by failing to mention this.

We have no recourse whatever. :mad: Except to warn other newbies.

5 - When in all of the ports of call while on the cruise, make sure you have a watch on, and that it is set to the proper LOCAL time. Watch the time, and get back to the ship at LEAST 1 hour before the scheduled departure. You NEVER want to be the heartbroken couple that gets left on the pier because you did not get back to the ship in time before the ship departed.

Please make sure your watch is set to SHIP time, not local time. Or you will get left behind.

1. Bring your documents (Passport, Credit Card, 2nd Id and other cruise docs - you can put cruise doc copies in multiple pieces of luggage to satisfy paranoia).

2. Bring a watch and set it each morning if you traverse time zones.

3. Read the 'daily activities newsletter' (this is called something different by each line but are essentially the same thing) - they list what and when each day - if nothing appeals to me (rare!) I explore the ship, side to side, back to front, top to bottom...resting at hottubs along the way!

4. Food - on your 1st cruise you will EAT EAT and EAT - this is a great time to sample! Try something new (escargo sounds disgusting but are served in their own hottub of butter - try it). Don't fill up on mac and cheese or other stuff you can make or get at home. Stick to the main dining room for better quality. On day 1 EVERYONE heads to the buffet - instead; grab a burger, pizza or dog on the top deck.

5. Stay out of your room. No one else is in your room so get out. You are traveling with 1000-6000 or your closest friends. Hang out with them.

Have read most but not all posts so may repeat some ideas - that's okay.

1. Take an open mind - open to new experiences, open to meeting new friends from many cultures, open to adventures from food you've never eaten to locations that may seem exotic.

2. Remember you're on vacation, so don't obsess if everything is not perfect. You're on the ship to relax.

3. Pack half the clothes you think you ought to take, including shoes. Even on my most recent cruise which was my 10th, I wound up with two pair of pants and a couple of tops I never wore, so I need to heed my own advice about this one.

4. Go to the port a day early if at all possible. Airplanes sometimes get delayed, and traffic jams occur. I also like having that time as a transition from home to the ship.

5. I also take one or two of the plastic bags that can have the air "vacuumed" out, except the ones I take can have the air squeezed out of them by hand. I use them for dirty clothes and other items on the trip home. By compressing the clothes I have extra room for purchases I make on the cruise. They're also waterproof so make good bags for bringing home a bottle of wine.

[quote name=ILoveScotland;27913531

5. I also take one or two of the plastic bags that can have the air "vacuumed" out' date=' except the ones I take can have the air squeezed out of them by hand. I use them for dirty clothes and other items on the trip home. By compressing the clothes I have extra room for purchases I make on the cruise. They're also waterproof so make good bags for bringing home a bottle of wine.[/quote]

This is a great idea.

Here are a few tips:

1) Pack smaller bills - always tip the room service guys a few dollars, they really appreciate it and the room service is free. Also bring small bills on the Islands so if you shop you have the correct change; often they can not break a large bill.

2)Buy one of the Souvenir Drink of the Day glasses, you pay a little more but they will re-fill it as often as you want at the regular price and you have something to take home....we have several dozen of these glasses and they are convenient by our pool

3) When you are printing out your luggage tags, laminate them and use a whole bunch then run some thread.yarn through it and attach to your luggage - it will not fall off

4) If you drink - purchase alcohol prior to the cruise through the Bon Voyage Department. The prices may be a little higher than what you would pay in the liquor store but having a drink in your cabin before dinner or at the end of the night is wonderful. You are allowed to bring on soda so you can bring your mixers on or use the Lido to add fruit juice etc to your drink or order it from room service.

5) As many have said - pack half of what you think you will need

ENJOY -

I agree with all of this. Regarding bringing fruit off the ship, just grab a mini cereal from the buffet to take. :)

Great tips! I am a first time cruiser that already has my bag packed LOL...I managed to get compact umbrella, 4 bathing suits, 2 sarongs, 2 pairs of shorts, 2 skirts, 4 tops 2 cocktail dresses, 1 pair of dress sandals, 2 pairs of comfy flip flops, travel hair dryer, flat iron, shawl for cool nights and undergarments into a small carry on. We are going to wear sneakers and comfortable pants when we travel from Maine to New Orleans and sweaters or hoodies so that they will be at our use if needed and we wont have to pack them. My large suitcase will hold 2 formal evening dresses, my fiance's suit and bathroom necessities. We figured if we put what we need in our carry on's and what we can do without in our large suitcase we will be all set incase of luggage loss or delay. (lost luggage many times during travel you should see how I dress up my suitcases now) I want to dress up for elegant night but if I can't..I have my cocktail dresses and I have lots of room in the big suitcase to house souvenirs. All of our documents have been put into a folder for easy access so I bought a big enough purse to hold the folder and my camera's.

Don't forget waterproof camera if you are going to snorkel or scuba dive.

• 3 weeks later...

These are really great tips. This is my 2nd cruise & I still have so much to learn, like don't overpack. I packed over a weeks worth of clothes for a 3 night cruise & didn't use half, although my trip is 4 months away I already find myself fighting the urge to pack 16 outfits for an 8 day cruise.:o

These are really great tips. This is my 2nd cruise & I still have so much to learn, like don't overpack. I packed over a weeks worth of clothes for a 3 night cruise & didn't use half, although my trip is 4 months away I already find myself fighting the urge to pack 16 outfits for an 8 day cruise.:o

Less is more:eek:

1..BRING BANDAIDS. Had a blister on my foot and had a hell of a time finding one at night. Had to wait till the ships hospital opened in the morning..oh and wear comfortable shoes that are broke in :p

2. Anyone who wants to ice available, we always pack a small soft sided cooler that ouR room steward keeps filled. Those buckets are small and ice melts too fast in them. We also bring or buy large mugs for coffee, soda or alcohol drinks :D

3. If you like to scan the sea at night or during the day, bring a small pair of binoculars. Fun to see dolphins and or other ships.;)

4. Bring an extra pair of glasses. I actually had my lens fall out OVER the side of the ship!! I had to go the rest of the cruise half blind :o

5. No clocks in the room so a small travel alarm is good if you want. and TALK AND SMILE AT EVERYONE!!! :D

1. 2 1/2 gallon Ziploc bags. When storing luggage under the bed, leave one piece open. Fill ziploc bag with laundry, squeeze, seal, stow in luggage. Repeat until end of cruise. No last minute late night scramble to pack. For those with OCD you can choose to color sort the bags. Beats a pop-up hamper for me.

2. Magnets. A small one on the stateroom door will help you find your "home" in those long hallways. Also, use them in your stateroom to post a map and a one page calendar with ports of call and tours. There is steel behind that wall paper.

3. Earplugs. This is for hotels and ships. I never understood people on this board or anywhere else that posted a critical review about noisy elevators, people in hallways, noise on decks/floors above or below, etc. Earplugs are such a simple, inexpensive, light weight solution and are always in my travel bag.

4. Small note pad/post-it notes/old business cards & pen. Keep with you at all times in lanyard, pocket, etc. Have any crew member write down their name for you if they give you exemplary service. The crew members are away from their families for 8-10 months at a time and often work more than an 8 hour day. Their contract renewals and sometimes bonuses are contingent upon good reviews from passengers. Anyone who makes my vacation special in any way gets a mention by name on my comment card. But if won't happen if I don't get their names written down immediately. (You may disregard this if you have letter-perfect memory for spelling in all foreign languages.)

5. ALWAYS wear a positive attitude and a smile. Helps you to be flexible and tolerant. Results in a fabulous vacation with beautiful memories.

Archived