first time cruising - top five tips

pansieFL

We are sailing for the first time this year - June 13th on the Inspiration - and I have been doing my due diligence on reading everything I can...it has become overwhelming! :)

I read a few things already on here and have taken them to heart (cabin location, pre paid gratutities, pre booking excurisions eg).... these boards are brilliant to soak up all this good info!.

If some of you experienced cruisers could give me your top five tips on what you feel are the most important things to consider/remember for the cruise, that would be awesome!

Bring binoculars!

Don't try to do everything...you'll need a vacation after your cruise!

Get a guidebook on your ports so you'll know where you're going, and what there is....most folks have no clue about their destinations!

1st timers tend to spend more misc. cash than frequent cruisers, so watch your budget (if you have one!)

Remember, it's just a vacation...there's no "right" or "wrong" way to do it! Research is your best ally!

Read the daily brochure. There is a lot of information in them (i.e. time changes, drink specials, etc.). A friend of mine went on her first cruise with me through Ireland and Scotland and thought I was nuts for reading that every night until she figured out what it was:)

Pre-book specialty restaurants if you can. The good times always are taken pretty quickly.

Relax and take advantage of sea days.

Take a bottled water with you before you leave the ship and pack a banana or granola bar if you are headed out for the day. You never know when you will need it!

Take a bottled water with you before you leave the ship and pack a banana or granola bar if you are headed out for the day. You never know when you will need it!

Forget the banana. No fresh fruit, veggies, dairy or meat can be taken off the ship, only pre-packaged foods, like a granola bar.

1. Trip Insurance

2. Half the clothes/shoes

3. Bring twice the money

4. Saving $50 or $100 here or there may sound nice now, but at the end of the day, it's chump change considering what you're paying for the whole experience. Splurge and enjoy a little.

5. Relax, enjoy, don't sweat the small stuff.

Guess we were in violation then because nobody ever said anything to us:)

All you have to do is open eyes and read. Announced overhead, it's in the ships daily paper, it's on a sign before you get off the ship, and the port also has another sign on the pier as you are walking down the pier in all ports of call.

Guess we were in violation then because nobody ever said anything to us:)

In most countries it is illegal to bring fresh food into the country unless cleared by authorities; the fines can exceed $10,000 if caught in some locales.

We are sailing for the first time this year - June 13th on the Inspiration - and I have been doing my due diligence on reading everything I can...it has become overwhelming! :)

I read a few things already on here and have taken them to heart (cabin location, pre paid gratutities, pre booking excurisions eg).... these boards are brilliant to soak up all this good info!.

If some of you experienced cruisers could give me your top five tips on what you feel are the most important things to consider/remember for the cruise, that would be awesome!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. My top five would be:

1) Fly into port at least a day early; it extends your vacation, minimizes the risk of a flight delay leading you to miss the ship and allows you to start the vacation nice and rested.

2) Join the Roll Call forum here on Cruise Critic for your cruise. It will allow you to chat with others going on that same exact cruise. Great way to get advice, learn from experienced cruisers, link up for group shore excursions and possibly make some friends.

3) Book at least one dinner in a specialty restaurant; while you have to pay extra, the food, service and ambiance generally make it well worth it and turn it into a very special evening.

4) Show up at the pier at around 11am for the start of your cruise; generally your boarding documents say to show up around 2pm, but most of the time you can actually board much earlier.

5) Visit Cruise Critic a lot; I have learned so much from helpful people on this site as well as made some friends I chatted with pre-cruise and then met during the cruise.

Hi, congratulations on choosing to cruise! My top 5 would be:

1. Research the ports you will visit. You may want to book tours, spend a beach day, or head out on your own. It is always good to know what there is. (history, points of interest, shopping, beaches)

2. The clothes you have will be just fine. For my first cruise, I thought 'formal night' meant the long gown, the hairdo, and the jewellery. Realistically, a pretty dress, nice hair, and the bling you have will be great!

3. Take one pair of shoes for dressup, one pair of sandals, and one pair of walking shoes (runners, joggers, or oxfords). That is three. That is all.

4. Leave the autotip on for the crew members on the ship. Take along American dollar bills if you wish to tip for room service or while you are off the ship.

5. Make sure any medication you take along is in the original containers....that way there is no doubt about what it is...for both you and any one who may be inspecting your things.

Enjoy your holiday....!

1) Always try to fly in a day early

2) Take medicines "just in case" ... can't always find things you're used to

3) Take a pop-up hamper (if you're a neat freak) and ALWAYS a travel alarm clock

4) Bring twice the spending money you think you might need

5) Enjoy your trip!! It's still vacation

Pack light. You dont need all those clothes and stuff. You will be buying tee shirts probably anyway, and can wear them during the day.

As far as being blind deaf and dumb about bringing fruit especially off the ship ...I did that on debarkation. Saw some apples and grabbed them my first cruise off the breakfast buffet, and carried them thru customs. I could use the excuse no one told me, but you do check a box on customs saying no fresh fruit brought back to the U.S. Other countries have the same rules and signs are posted, its in the capers, and they make annoucements .. but as someone above said .. they didnt stop me, was in my backpack and they didnt search it. I would respect the LAWS of the country you are entering. yes, it is against the LAW.

Dont be a ugly American.

1. Don't spend a lot of money buying special cruise clothes. Bring things you already have that you REALLY love and are comfortable in. If you do need to buy something new, make it someting you will use in your regular wardrobe. (Save your dough for spending money on the cruise). THEN

2. Make and keep a packing list. Add items but consider each carefully. I start with a basic color scheme, so everything goeas together. Start with shoes and plan outfits around those. If you see it's not working, change (don't add to), the shoes. PARE DOWN. Keepign the list will make sure you have what you rally need.

3. Research the ship and your ports and make a list of possible activities so you'll have some flexibility. Don't overshedule.

4. Someone already mentioned travel insurance. I second that emphatically. If you buy it early enough, most policies will cover pre-existing heath conditions. Some even have a "cancel-for-any-reason" clause.

5. Pack OTC medicines, feminine products, and toiletries you think you may need (put these on the packign list as you think of them). These are available on ship but are very expensive and they are not likely to have the brand you prefer. I keep a plastic shoebox, and as I see these items on sale (especially in travel sizes), I buy them and keep them in the box. Then when I pack, I "shop" from the box. I rarely have to go out and buy these items at the last minute.

Have a great time!

To carry the plastic shoebox theme one step further, I do as the previous poster says and keep a stock on hand. Then when packing I put what I need into another plastic shoebox and put the whole box in my checked luggage. On the cruise you can either work out of the box or place toiletries in a shoe organizer. For a very long cruise I packed more than one box (one was just OTC meds for just-in-case). The boxes fit nicely on the shelf under the sink.

Another good idea is to keep on hand smaller denoninations of money...ones, fives, and tens...comes in handy for buying smaller things in port, tips, etc. Some vendors may act like they cant make exact change if all you have is a $20 or higher. Also...remember to pack sun screen for carribean cruises...the sun down there can really burn. And remember, you can carry on several bottles of water or soda. It helps to bring your own bottled water to take along when in port.

Hope you enjoy cruising as much as we do..... be forewarned, it's addictive.

Good advice from the previous posters! I would just like to add that I gather as much information on the ports before hand, including trying to find a map of the port area (printed from the internet) so I can get my bearings when we get off the ship and have to make our way back after exploring! I try to read as much as possible that others have posted about the port to decide what we want to see.

A night light is a must as we book an inside cabin

I've used the over the door shoe holder and it does help keep the room tidy

I highly recommend arriving at the port a day early, starts the vacation off right as you can arrive at the ship in lots of time with no worries

And the tip that no one has mentioned: I pack half of my clothes in my husband's suitcase and half of his in mine, just in case one of our bags goes missing either left behind on the plane or delivered to the wrong room on the ship! At least each of us will have some of our wardrobe!!!

Here are a few tips:

1) Pack smaller bills - always tip the room service guys a few dollars, they really appreciate it and the room service is free. Also bring small bills on the Islands so if you shop you have the correct change; often they can not break a large bill.

2)Buy one of the Souvenir Drink of the Day glasses, you pay a little more but they will re-fill it as often as you want at the regular price and you have something to take home....we have several dozen of these glasses and they are convenient by our pool

3) When you are printing out your luggage tags, laminate them and use a whole bunch then run some thread.yarn through it and attach to your luggage - it will not fall off

4) If you drink - purchase alcohol prior to the cruise through the Bon Voyage Department. The prices may be a little higher than what you would pay in the liquor store but having a drink in your cabin before dinner or at the end of the night is wonderful. You are allowed to bring on soda so you can bring your mixers on or use the Lido to add fruit juice etc to your drink or order it from room service.

5) As many have said - pack half of what you think you will need

ENJOY -

1-Take half as many clothes & twice as much money!

(you think i am kidding; NO; I spent afternoons in bathing suit, so needed few shorts/tanks; black pants for dinner, multiple tops;

My brother FORGOT to get cash for his family before the last cruise--NO KIDDING!!! Yes, it is a cashless system BUT NOT IN PORTS)

2-There will be food you like & food you don't. Get over it.

3-Try some things out of your comfort zone--activities, food. Trust me, it's worth it. (PS at dinner if you don't like it, let your waiter know & they will bring you something else--or try 2 appetizers or 2 entrees or 2 desserts if you can't decide!!)

4-Do what YOU want to do--some prefer to lounge all week while others want to hit every activity on that list!

5-Dine with others at some point; we had dinner with 3 other couples our first cruise (new friends--couple in 20s, one in 30s, one in 50s, us in late 30s) and they MADE the cruise for us; you can't be sure of such a fit, but we had SUCH fun with them all cruise--and it has made us more open to dining w/ others; sometime it is "eh" , other times OK & sometimes surprisingly GREAT (the NY snowbirds from FLL--the gentleman got a job at CBSsportsline--DH's DREAM retirement job!)

JUST RELAX & HAVE FUN!!!! (and prepare to be hooked!)

Archived