NCL Sharing Our Personal Info?

CruiserChloe

I placed a hold on a Norwegian Jade Med. cruise. Within hours of placing a hold on the cruise, a company called Nile Blue Excursions found me on Facebook and friend requested me. They are an excursion company in Egypt.

I found it odd they found me so close to holding this cruise and there is no way they could have pin-pointed me without knowing some specifics other than just my name.

My question is, is it common for NCL to share our personal info like this? I know companies often do this, but I've never had a cruise line do it without permission. I'm also a little skeptical about them sharing my info with foreign companies.

I did check them out on FB, and sure enough, Nile Blue's "likes" include Norwegian Cruise Line, but no others.

Thoughts? :confused:

I placed a hold on a Norwegian Jade Med. cruise. Within hours of placing a hold on the cruise, a company called Nile Blue Excursions found me on Facebook and friend requested me. They are an excursion company in Egypt.

I found it odd they found me so close to holding this cruise and there is no way they could have pin-pointed me without knowing some specifics other than just my name.

My question is, is it common for NCL to share our personal info like this? I know companies often do this, but I've never had a cruise line do it without permission. I'm also a little skeptical about them sharing my info with foreign companies.

I did check them out on FB, and sure enough, Nile Blue's "likes" include Norwegian Cruise Line, but no others.

Some facebook suggestions also occur based on your internet browser searches. So if you have been doing searches that include alot of NCL/cruise related items, it is possible that facebook therefore auto-searches its databases to find something that it thinks you may "like"

Do you "like" NCL on Facebook? If so, maybe this person has sent, or is sending, friend requests to everyone there?

PE

I'd be very surprised if NCL directly did this. I would probably place more "blame" on Facebook. If you have clicked on the "Become a fan" Facebook link on NCL's website, for instance, that is probably enough to expose your general cruising interest to 3rd party searches. I don't know if they truly knew your interest in the Med or not, but who knows what they really can track. I'm not saying I know the exact circumstances, but I would think it's more "internet"-related, than NCL-related.

Do you "like" NCL on Facebook? If so' date=' maybe this person has sent, or is sending, friend requests to everyone there?[/color']

I'd be very surprised if NCL directly did this. I would probably place more "blame" on Facebook.

No, I do not "like" NCL on Facebook. In fact, I don't have any cruise lines listed on my "likes," nor any sort of travel "likes." Also, I have not done any sort of research on either NCL or Egypt on Facebook.

I have thought this over well, and the only conclusion I can come to is NCL had to of shared my info. Like I said earlier, they found me within hours of placing my hold on an NCL cruise that happens to go to Egypt.

This here very website could be the culprit.

When we were going to Egypt with a stop in Ephesus the shennigans of the Turkish and Egyptian tour companies were unbelievable.

Firstly make no mistake, these tour companies scour these pages for potential clients. We got "highjacked" in Ephesus when a dubious operator met us inside the terminal whilst outside our actual guide was waiting. As we had arranged (and discussed) on these boards our plans and details, they had all our info. As it was not a ship tour and we still had to pay so we could easily have been scooped.

They even assume names here to discredit each other and drum up support for their tours posing as previous happy or disgruntled clients.

Just my opinion. Do not think NCL want you near these guys as they want your $$$ and are not about to give you away for someone else to milk.

How odd you posted this.

I got a friend request from someone with a ship in the picture and someone's arm with an obvious striping on it...like they were a captain.

I made reservations through a TA though....

Hmm...

It's actually the only friend request I've gotten that is a stranger to me.

hmm...interesting.

Some facebook suggestions also occur based on your internet browser searches. So if you have been doing searches that include alot of NCL/cruise related items, it is possible that facebook therefore auto-searches its databases to find something that it thinks you may "like"

that could be the explanation for mine. makes sense.

I also "like" NCL on Facebook. That might be the solution.

A suggestion too is to check your privacy settings on Facebook, and clamp em down tightly if you don't want to take the chance of someone 'finding' you.

Account --> Privacy settings --> Apps and Websites (down at the bottom) --> Edit your settings --> Public Search -->

edit your settings by unchecking the "enable" box if you don't want to show up on a public search.

Weird. I had disabled this a long time ago...it's checked again. I SWEAR Facebook does this on purpose.

This here very website could be the culprit.

NCL would like you to book excursions through them. I'm not sure why they would share your name with a tour company.

You both make good points, but until this thread, I have never made the slightest comment about the Med. or Egypt on the internet. No roll calls, threads, posts - nothing. In fact, all I did was place a hold on this cruise. I didn't even book it.

I would think NCL wants you to book their excursions also.

Maybe it's not NCL. Maybe it's an employee of NCL that has an in with Nile Blue. Who knows. Either way, there are way too many coincidences and I have not heard an explanation yet that makes me think otherwise.

Hi Chloe. Our friend Gina alerted me to this thread because we had this same discussion a few months back.

I was booked on the Norwegian Jade Oct 15 sailing that visits Port Said and Alexandria, Egypt. A few days after the booking, I also received an e-mail and a FB notification from Nile Blue. I checked them out thoroughly and they seem like a good private excursion, but I was left wondering how the heck they knew my first and last name and how they knew I was going to Egypt. Either NCL or someone at NCL is in some way associated with Nile Blue. There is no other explanation that makes sense, at least, none that I can think of.

BTW, my FB security settings are set very high. You can't even search my name unless we have a common friend. And I don't "like" NCL either.

Hi Chloe. Our friend Gina alerted me to this thread because we had this same discussion a few months back.

I was booked on the Norwegian Jade Oct 15 sailing that visits Port Said and Alexandria, Egypt. A few days after the booking, I also received an e-mail and a FB notification from Nile Blue. I checked them out thoroughly and they seem like a good private excursion, but I was left wondering how the heck they knew my first and last name and how they knew I was going to Egypt. Either NCL or someone at NCL is in some way associated with Nile Blue. There is no other explanation that makes sense, at least, none that I can think of.

BTW, my FB security settings are set very high. You can't even search my name unless we have a common friend. And I don't "like" NCL either.

Hello Paul! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one this happened to. I'm sure you understand my confusion over this. I don't necessarily have a huge problem with it. It just seemed a little odd. With your resources, if you are led to believe it was NCL or someone at NCL, I'm inclined to believe it that much more.

I'm not certain this "NCL Public Relations" member is for real, but the info they've provided on a number of posts is accurate.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=27453923&postcount=14

It has been proven that this person is for real. That is probably why their designation was changed from "Cool Cruiser" to "Norwegian Cruise Lines Public Relations".

PE

Could it be that they're NCL's partner for the shore excursions - as in, NCL uses them for the excursions it offers?

That actually makes sense. Well, sorta. It very well could be they use Nile Blue. But then again, have you ever been contacted by an excursion company like this without showing any interest in scheduling excursions yet?

That actually makes sense. Well, sorta. It very well could be they use Nile Blue. But then again, have you ever been contacted by an excursion company like this without showing any interest in scheduling excursions yet?

No, and I find it baffling! That's just the most logical explanation I could imagine.

Had this happened to me, instead of trying to "guess" why, I would have just insisted on finding out FROM THE TOUR COMPANY just how and from whom they received my name.

I think it is always better to go straight to the source for information instead of just guessing and hoping you come up with the right answer.

and why do you think this? I happen to be relatively certian the person is with NCL.

Nita

Wow, lighten up Nita. I couldn't say for sure that the credential someone posts on-line was 100% irrefutable. I was pointing out that in my opinion, someone from NCL was in fact on this board trying to dispel rumors, and putting out fires.

Archived