Zuiderdam: To Tux or not to Tux

seapointer

We are booked for first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam in April. I need some feedback on how many men wear a tux for the formal nights. Is HAL becoming increasingly casual as are so many other lines? Or do most wear a tux or dark suit?

We are booked for first HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam in April. I need some feedback on how many men wear a tux for the formal nights. Is HAL becoming increasingly casual as are so many other lines? Or do most wear a tux or dark suit?

You will find almost all men in tux or dark suit. 40-60% in a tux (it caries by itinerary, time of year and phases of the moon, I think :) ).

There are many men that wear a tux. I cant say its more than half or not, but it a lot. I say, wear a tux. You'll look great, you'll feel great and you'll really enjoy the evening. Dont concern yourself with what others do. Make the most of formal nights and treat yourself to a little dashing luxury. Everyone looks great in a tux, even ugly guys like me look great in a tux.

I find it to be a lot of fun to be "James Bond" for a couple nights. My wife likes it too. Wear a tux. You can rent one for $85 and thats even less you need to pack.

Botton line: Wear a tux :)

Tim

I rented one,http://www.cruiselineformal.com/index.html,

It was delivered to the room, and was waiting when I got there. It came with 2 shirts, all for $85, plus I got shoes for $12, so around $100 total. ONE less thing to pack in your luggage.

On our last cruise it was about 50/50. You won't feel out of place.

And like my mom said to me when she saw the pictures "I looked smart.":D

Check ebay, also. I purchased a complete tux (jacket, pants, shirt, studs, vest, tie and shoes for $91 including shipping. It was such a good deal I picked up an ivory dinner jacket also ($35). The rental place here wanted $169 just to rent. Next cruise I won't have this expense.

Lat week on the Zuiderdam we saw many men in Tuxes on the formal nights..in fact my dh made a comment that he felt a little out of place in his suit and wished he had a tux on!!!..but there probably as many men in suits as in Tuxes......Marianne

My husband always wears his tux - it's been a great investment. Men's Warehouse has nice wool tuxes for about $199 - but many times you can find them for less on sale. Another good place to check is a rental shop that sells their "last season" styles.

Men look so dashing in a tux---and their ladies a bit more beautiful on their arm.

I have a favorite picture of my husband in white dinner jacket---a happy smile on his face, and me in my gown, taken on a HAL cruise. It's the last thing I see in the house as I head out to work, and always brings back a memory of very happy times.

Wear the tux.

I sailed on the January 30th voyage of Star Princess and the February 8th voyage of Zuiderdam(a 4 day Bahamas/Key West cruise). I thought possibly since the Zuiderdam cruise was so short, it would be more informal than most HAL cruises(only one formal night was scheduled with 3 casual evenings). Having just gotten off a Princess cruise, let me assure you: Princess is much more casual than HAL. I saw many men in a tux on our 1 formal night on the Zuiderdam; the others were in suits or nice sport jackets with dress slacks. The Zuiderdam provided a much more classy and elegant cruise experience than what I felt I had experienced aboard Star Princess.

Plan to wear a tux! You will not regret it!

I posted the same question for my DH last year for a cruise we took in April aboard the Zuiderdam!! The feedback then and now is that you will not be out of place wearing a tux. My DH finally decided to rent one through Cruiseline Formal as well and was very happy with his decision. He has reserved a tux again for our upcoming Alaskan cruise - now there is more room in his suitcase for my clothes..ahem..I mean, his clothes. hee hee!

Our first cruise Volendam oct o4, DH hated the idea of his Tux so did two sons 19 & 18 when they first put them on they felt really uncomfortable,:o I chose black for DH and white for two sons I almost cried when I saw them they all looked so handsome after that I coulden't get them off them and by the end of the cruise DH did admit he loved it, we turned heads as we walked to dinner and they even kept them on for the show afterwards.:D Go for it.

DH has always a tux for at least one formal night because he knows that I think he looks super;) . This is our first cruise on HAL and since he "grew out" of his old tux, he's now shopping for a new one (yes, at Men's Warehouse, same place the original tux came from - couldn't beat the price!).

Nothing looks better than a man in his tux with a lovely lady by his side......

Wear a tux! And since you most probably will (or are) addicted to cruising, buy one now. I finally bought one three years ago from cheaptux.com (approximately $160 with shoes, tie, cumberbun, and shirt). On a price per wear basis, it is down to about $8 and can only get lower in the future!

My DH always wears a tux:) ..he looks so handsome in it, this year we bought one since we are cruising twice, it was on sale for $145.

One all of our previous cruises he rented one, so we decided to go ahead and buy one, now I can tell him we need to cruise more often :D

Go ahead and wear one you will look great and it makes for a great picture :)

I am happy to hear that the tux to suit ratio is pretty equal, as I prefer to rent a tux and not have to deal with packing a suit and shirts and ties. I was just worried I might be in a distinct minority, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Archived